Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2009

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Seventh Seal is due out later this year. This is the new Rakim album for all ya'll that dont know!

This is the album that was made with Dre after Ra signed to Aftermath, after he left Afteramath, the recordings where not owned by Rakim, but owned by Dre's label so there has been a bunch of legal wrangling since then and will be released on Rakim's own label.

I guess this will not sound much like the original recordings with Dre, any songs that where not mixed or didnt have the finishing touches on the beats or mastering probably cannot be altered. But i'd say it's one worth looking out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

New Busta Rhymes is out if anyone cares.

This week I've been liking Blackout 2 and not liking Relapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Michelle_H

Relapse leaked its a brill album!!
    Track list:
    1. DR. WEST
    2. 3 AM
    3. MY MOM
    4. INSANE
    5. BAGPIPES FROM BAGHDAD
    6. HELLO
    7. TONYA (SKIT)
    8. SAME SONG & DANCE
    9. WE MADE YOU
    10. MEDICINE BALL
    11. PAUL (SKIT)
    12. STAY WIDE AWAKE
    13. OLD TIMES SAKE
    14. MUST BE THE GANJA
    15. MR. MATHERS
    16. DEJA VU
    17. BEAUTIFUL
    18. CRACK A BOTTLE
    19. STEVE BERMAN
    20. UNDERGROUND/KEN KANIFF
    Song i dont like on the album: Stay wide awake 2 sick & grafical torrentino would ave wrote it if he was a rapper ha!
    Best song: Beautiful
    In all its a ****in brill album quite dark where he's addressin his true demons bout bein in rehab & the loss of a best friend & d12 group member Proof! Cant wait 4 re-relapse at the end of the year!!!
    all dats left to say is finally THE KING IS BACK!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

Tanya Morgan - Brooklynatti :confused::confused:

Future classic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Makaveli wrote: »
    New Busta Rhymes is out if anyone cares.

This week I've been liking Blackout 2 and not liking Relapse.

I'm not really feeling BO2, too many 'club' songs on it for my liking. Some good songs on it but i was expecting it to be a bit more grimey.

• Advertisement

New Eyedea and Abililities
    spacer.gif +05.19.2009+ EYEDEA & ABILITIES RELEASE FIRST ALBUM IN FIVE YEARS 110.jpg

RHYMESAYERS ENTERTAINMENT TO RELEASE BY THE THROAT ON JULY 21

A duo thoroughly steeped in hip-hop accolades, the Minnesota-based duo Eyedea and Abilities have returned with their brand new album By The Throat, out July 21st on Rhymesayers Entertainment. Their first album since the breakout 2004 release E&A, By The Throat’s songs range from intensely personal topics to the more esoteric (quantum mechanics). The end result is leaps and bounds beyond what MC Eyedea is perhaps best known for, his prowess as a battle rapper (winner of HBO’s Blaze Battle, Scribble Jam and several others). DJ Abilities, also a well-known battle vet and contributor to El-P’s now-classic Fantastic Damage, adds heavily to the sonic soundscape of this album, which advances beyond boom-bap hip-hop into rock-fueled guitar riffs, gritty production and melodic songwriting.

BOOM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Tanya Morgan - Brooklynatti :confused::confused:

Future classic.

Read a good review. Where can it be gotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Swift & Changeable whatsthe story with this album?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Where is Big Boi?

I'm dying for it to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

godspal wrote: »
    Swift & Changeable whatsthe story with this album?

In a recent interview Doom said it would still happen. Can't remember exactly when/why he said it'd happen but it definitely wasn't cancelled anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Album to watch out for.

Lexicon - Rap Stars!

I've got it already, not released untill July (got it from the lads themselves so it's not leaked and won't be) it's being released on Laidtbac Records (french lable) in europe and is an absolute banger, Junk food and Big Money being the stand out tracks (both on their myspace page)
    http://www.lexiconmusic.com

The song Junk food id featured on the solidays festivle website (www.solidays.org) they are already huge in France.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Album to watch out for.

Lexicon - Rap Stars!

I've got it already, not released untill July (got it from the lads themselves so it's not leaked and won't be) it's being released on Laidtbac Records (french lable) in europe and is an absolute banger, Junk food and Big Money being the stand out tracks (both on their myspace page)
    http://www.lexiconmusic.com

The song Junk food id featured on the solidays festivle website (www.solidays.org) they are already huge in France.

Lexicon album should be good, heard some songs and seen some live performances on utube with Flipper. It's one to look out for.

this sounds like an interesting combo
    Sean Price + Guilty Simpson + Black Milk = Random Axe; Album On Duck Down Duck Down Records announces the finalized deal of its newest group "RANDOX AXE". Consisting of Sean Price, Guilty Simpson and Black Milk, the trio of artists are in the studio finishing their untitled collaborative effort.
    On describing 'Random Axe' Guilty Simpson states " it's a union of families from two different cities (Detroit to Brooklyn). "Run," from my album, was the first sample of where the music is going but just a small dosage of what the whole album has to offer. It's not a record made to divide, nor ignore the accomplishments made by Sean Price and Heltah Skeltah. It's two families merging to make incredible Hip Hop records."
    Black Milk, who will be doing the entire production on the album, further laments the new found group mentioning that it "represents the new formula for future hip hop albums, as artists form super groups. Guilty Simpson, Sean P and I have individual vibes, delivery, flow and voices, but the chemistry works. So far everything in the studio has felt natural."
    Only in true Sean Price fashion he claims the Random Axe collaboration came about when "I was on tour with Special Teams and my man Dan Green asked me would I do a song with Guilty Simpson, so I said yeah. Then I asked everybody in the van who's Guilty and the driver (big up ughh.com for the van usage) said he's ****in dope and played me every song Guilty made that was out . I was like **** a song. Let's do a full LP. Guilty and I actually found Black Milk sleeping on a corner beatboxing his beats cause he had no equipment, so we brought him in, gave him a sandwich, some soup and an orange fanta. And a beat machine and he wound up doing the whole lp....I joke I joke I kid I kid!!!"
    Bottom line, I wanted to do an entire LP because I need to do different things. And this is just the first project of me going outside my solo reach. I have an album with Ill Bill coming soon and another collab LP with........ stay tuned...............p.s. thanks Dru Ha...the watch is beautiful." (Press Release)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

New Mos Def is nice.

Orizio wrote: »
    New Mos Def is nice.

I've given it a quck listen, sounds good...need to give it a proper listen.

The song with Talib Kweli stood out

Toki Wright has dropped an album called A Different Mirror and it's really nice. If you don't know who Toki is, he's on Rhymesayers, tours with Brother Ali, hosts Soundset and makes some beautiful music.

EDIT: I've listened to this a few times today now, it is fantastic.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Toki Wright has dropped an album called A Different Mirror and it's really nice. If you don't know who Toki is, he's on Rhymesayers, tours with Brother Ali, hosts Soundset and makes some beautiful music.

EDIT: I've listened to this a few times today now, it is fantastic.

I 'acquired' that just yesterday actually.

New Hilltop Hoods out.

I 'acquired' that just yesterday actually.

New Hilltop Hoods out.

I most likely 'acquired' it in the same way :D

New Illogic album is really really reallly good. I can see this high up in my top ten list at the end of the year.
    There's also a new Bus Driver album after dropping, i hear that it's not as experimental as Roadkill Overcoat which some critics are stating as a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Edgehead

I'm really hyped for that Cudi album in August. His mixtape was on point and he has a fresh new sound.

• Advertisement

Reflection Eternal to drop a new album....check out the sonh and vid, it's excellent:

http://www.hiphoplinguistics.com/videos/2009/06/reflection-eternal-back-again-video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tony_the_beat

when is the roots and the nas album coming out?sorry im currently not up to date on hip hop releases, but i would like to know how the releases of these two legends actually sound like...any good?

Probably not much interest in this but the new Cage album has dropped.
    It's brilliant, not your convential run of the mill hip hop but not too avant garde artsy hip hop either.....some might say its drifted in to an emo realm. There is lots and lots of guitar and a even a bit of singing on this!

Really liking this, throughout all his albums Cage has evovled and developed a lot and this album see's him as much more mature and delivering a more well rounded album.

Large Professor's 'The LP' has been re-issued.

Large Professor's 'The LP' has been re-issued.

Nice - are there any extra's on it?

Also, Blaqpoets album The Blaqprint has been released. Production (except 2 songs) handled by Primo. Sounds pretty good from what i've listened to so far.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Seventh Seal is due out later this year. This is the new Rakim album for all ya'll that dont know!

This is the album that was made with Dre after Ra signed to Aftermath, after he left Afteramath, the recordings where not owned by Rakim, but owned by Dre's label so there has been a bunch of legal wrangling since then and will be released on Rakim's own label.

I guess this will not sound much like the original recordings with Dre, any songs that where not mixed or didnt have the finishing touches on the beats or mastering probably cannot be altered. But i'd say it's one worth looking out for.

First single from the Seventh Seal, produced by Kid Capri

Anyone check out the Khujo Goodie and Dr Who Dat? collab?

Anyone check out the Khujo Goodie and Dr Who Dat? collab?

They are called Willie Isz, I have the Georgiovania EP, not uber impressed with it, i was hoping to hear more rapping from Khujo but he has kind of changed his style and slowed down his flow a bit. Not the Khujo from Soul Food that we al know and love.
    The production is nice in parts on the EP though, but all in all i was a bit disappointed, i had real high expectations for this. I'll still check out the full length if the internet pixies deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I've been listening to J Dilla's "Jay Got Paid" the past week. Absolute quality.

• Advertisement

just throwing in what i think the best releases are this year so far...

P.O.S. - Never Better
    Illogic - Diabolical Fun
    Jake One - White Can Music
    Cage - Depart From Me
    Mr. Lif - I Heard It Today
    Blaqpoet - The Blaqprint
    Toki Wright - A different Mirror
    DOOM - Born like that
    Wu - Chamber Music
    Cunninglinguisits - Strange Journey
    Bus Driver - Jheli Beam
    Eyedea & Abilities - By The Throat