Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I know that, but their has been a million different reports on Rey so it’s hard to know what is going on. The dirt sheets have had a field day last week speculating on tons of wrestlers so forgive me for been wary when reading this. Melz knows his stuff but I don’t fall into the group of “Melz is never ever ever wrong EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!”
    We will have to wait and see what happens but if turns out he is merely recuperating then a lot of people will have egg on their faces. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Melz knows his stuff but I dont fall into the group of Melz is never ever ever wrong EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

All that he reported was that wrestlers were talking about him handing in his notice, he hardly got that wrong! Alvarez wrote the bit about there being problems with him and WWE. I think that it'll become more public soon enough anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I know a lot of people heavily dislike Meltzer, but to be fair, a lot of the time Dave is "wrong" is when crappy third party sites misquote him, or posters mistype or misquote him.

That right, Foz? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

--Koji Kanemoto beat Prince Devitt earlier today at Korakuen Hall in the finals of the Best of the Super Junior tournament

Devitt is getting a major push at the moment in New Japan. Its a BIG deal to be booked in the finals of such a prestigious tournament, especially considering the likes of Liger. Tiger Mask and Ibushi were involved. Brilliant to see him doing well. It would be incredible if an Irishman could someday hold the Junior Title over there.

• Advertisement

I know that, but their has been a million different reports on Rey so it’s hard to know what is going on. The dirt sheets have had a field day last week speculating on tons of wrestlers so forgive me for been wary when reading this. Melz knows his stuff but I don’t fall into the group of “Melz is never ever ever wrong EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!”
    We will have to wait and see what happens but if turns out he is merely recuperating then a lot of people will have egg on their faces. :o

He was worked by Orton only last week.:pac:

Koko B. Ware answers some questions from fans:
    WWE Hall of Famer Koko B. Ware set aside a few minutes of his schedule to answer questions from his fans, courtesy of SLAM! Wrestling. The Birdman shares his insight on everything from his early days with Norvell Austin to how he learned to do his bird dance. Check it out!

What was it like to wrestle "Superstar" Bill Dundee in the first scaffold match in Memphis? (Brian Westcott)

Koko: It was a very, very dangerous type of match. I wouldn't want to do it again. I don't think it had ever been done after us. It's a really scary feeling to fall off that thing like I did and broke my wrists. I do not want to do it again.

What was your initial reaction when the match was proposed? (SLAM! Wrestling)

Koko: At first, I didn't want to do it. I was kind of saying, "Wow." But someone told me, "Yeah, but Koko, can you imagine all the coverage that you're going to get off of that? It'll be like something in history. It never happened before. First time ever; you and Bill Dundee." I was kind of like the guinea pig I guess, but I went out there and I did it and it did get a lot of coverage, but it scared the hell out of me though.

Can you talk about your first title run with the Mid-American Television Championship and the feud with Jimmy Valiant and Tojo Yamamoto? (James Hudgens)

Koko: Back in those days, it was great. It was my first chance to be a champion and Jimmy Valiant, he just couldn't stand me after I beat him. I think I won on black and white TV. Any time you win a championship in the professional wrestling field, and I didn't get the chance to take the TV title home to show my family or anything. It really freaked me out when he (Valiant) picked it up and just dropped it on national TV there. It just went into all kinds of pieces. I was so shocked; I just couldn't believe it. Even today, I still haven't gotten over that shock. Every time I see Jimmy Valiant now on different wrestling events, my mind just goes back to that black and white TV that he busted on TV.

It's been reported that Tojo was legitimately tough. What was it about him that was so tough? (James Hudgens)

Koko: He had a lot of guts. He was just a mean little devil. He was just tough as nails and I just thought he was a scary thing back in the day. I learned a lot of stuff off of Tojo Yamamoto and God bless his heart. He was a good friend of mine. I wish he was still here, but man he was just so tough. He got those people to just hate him. I remember one time in Nashville, Tennessee, wrestling fans just sliced all his four tires in his vehicle and he didn't let that bother him at all. But I got to see how mad the fans got at him that they slashed his tires.

What are your favourite memories of working in Memphis with Norvell Austin as the Pretty Young Things? (Brian Westcott)

Koko: Well because we was pretty (laughter). Our ratings went over Michael Jackson's if you can believe that. It was great. The Pretty Young Things come out and it was like everybody was glued to the TV. Michael Jackson wrote a song about the Pretty Young Things, but we just picked up the PYT, which still stands for the Pretty Young Things. We played the Michael Jackson music and we did it all. We had the red jackets with the head band and came out with the glove. We had the one sparkling glove and we had glitter all over our hair. We had black sunglasses with black tights. We were the sharpest thing around man.

Was it that big of a transition from that gimmick to the James Brown/Birdman gimmick in the WWE? (SLAM! Wrestling)

Koko: Oh no, that was totally different. We did our deal with the Pretty Young Things and then I fell solo with the Birdman and that just took off into another direction, brother.

Did you learn anything from him, being his partner? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: Oh yes. Norvell was a lot older than me and he taught me a lot of the ropes and stuff. I watched how he did things and stuff like that. I learned a lot from him and it really paid off in my wrestling career.

Who gave you the idea to form the group? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: Actually, believe it or not, Jerry Lawler. He's a genius when it comes down to putting teams together and giving them managers and stuff like that back then. He had an incredible mind; a creator. He created Kamala, the Ugandan Giant. He created the Rock ‘N' Roll Express and he had something to do with the Fabulous Ones, Steve Keirn and Stan Lane. He's just such a genius. He's got a brilliant head on him brother.

What was it like to work with him (Lawler) in the ring? (Brian Westcott)

Koko: It was like a piece of cake. I look to all the young guys that are trying to break into the business today and they need a trainer like Jerry Lawler and work with him and see how he feels in the ring. He feels so light and comfortable and will make you look like a million dollars. It's just unbelievable how he can make you really look good.

What was your time like at Leroy McGuirk's Tri-States promotion? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: It was great. I went to Tulsa and I got a chance to meet some beautiful people there like the McGuirks and Leroy, God bless his heart. I understand they're still running shows there in Tulsa, near Oklahoma City. I got a lot of experience there. I wrestled Les Thornton for the Junior Heavyweight Championship there. We went one hour straight; I mean one hour Broadway. That was the longest wrestling time of my life. It felt like I was in the ring for 10 or 20 hours.

What was it like working with Buzz Sawyer? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: Buzz Sawyer was another good fellow that I met. You had to understand Buzz back then, because Buzz was just on a natural high man. He had so much energy and he'd talk crazy when he was doing his interviews. That was way back then, when Tommy Rich was hot. Everybody was kind of afraid of Buzz, but I got along with him and Buzz and I had some incredible matches back in the Mid South days for the other promoter, Bill Watts. We had some knock-down, drag-out fights in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Why do you think that Buzz was able to get along with you so well, while everyone else as you said was afraid of him? (SLAM! Wrestling)

Koko: Well, just like I think of the business now, I don't ever change. I just respect everybody as a human being. I don't disrespect anybody. He knew I was this down to Earth person, so he thought, "Hey, Koko's not the one that I need to be putting my guard up for." He's down to Earth as well. I can tell when someone's in a bad mood and if they're in a bad mood, I don't fool with them. I speak to them, but I leave them alone, so the next time I meet them, we can be, "Hey Koko, how you doing man?" "Oh hey, how you doing?" "Good man" "Oh I'm doing fine." I always know when a person's in a good mood and until then, I leave them alone when they're in a bad mood.

Did you feel you were unfairly criticized by people for being a black wrestler? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: Not at all, man. Hey, I was born black and I'm going to die black, so why would people be subconscious about that or have a problem with that? That didn't have anything to do with it, brother. I did what I was supposed to do back in the day. I can't do it now. I can't do the same moves, but I can still wrestle a little bit. But the thing about it is when I was the Birdman, I was flying high all over the world and I knew I was flying high. I was flying higher than the 747.

Did you feel that certain characters that you portrayed, such as the Birdman, being such a soulful character. Did you think that was sort of a racial stereotype in any way? (SLAM! Wrestling)

Koko: No, not at all. It was great entertainment, man. Everybody loved it. We went out as partners as the PYT and we got to reach out to the people and then I took it to another level and flew off and came in as the little Birdman. I wouldn't change anything. I wish I could go back and do the PYT all over again and then come back to be the Birdman again. I wish I could do these things, but I can't.

Do you think an all-black promotion would work, or are blacks only accepted as part of a promotion? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: It could work, but the thing about it though is that it's going to be a little different. They have black cowboys and black rodeos and they do really successful business. If you got the black talent out there, who can get out there and perform just as good as WWE and get on the microphone and be able to talk and have announcers like Vince McMahon, or Jerry Lawler and J.R. and so on and so on and so on, it's going to work. You got to have that whole package like they have. If you don't have the full package, it won't work.

I loved your song Piledriver from the old WWF Wrestling Album back in 1987. How did you develop your singing talent? (Brian Westcott)

Koko: Because I started singing in church. In fact, I just left there. I sing in a male chorus group at my church. I do a lot of singing. I love to sing gospel. God just gave me that talent so I could just sing, sing and sing and then I took it over to the wrestling business and it was just another blessing.

How did WWE actually discover that talent? (SLAM! Wrestling)

Koko: When Vince McMahon was going around the territories and pulling out all the best talent that he could out of every small territory there was, I just happened to be down in Louisiana and after that he just called me and said, "We want you in the WWE. We definitely got to have you. You're talented and you're good. We need you." Just like he picked the JYD, God bless his heart, and he picked many more, like Hulk Hogan. Next thing you know, everybody ended up there, but I was so glad when they called me up and I got into the WWE deal. It made me feel good that somebody loved my style more than me. I'm glad I got the opportunity.

What was your reaction to being paired with the mascot, Frankie? (SLAM! Wrestling)

Koko: I thought we hit it off great. That was my idea of having a bird. I was already the Birdman and I wanted a character beside me, so I could relate to the little birds out there, the little kids and stuff like that. We got along great. Without that bird, it was just hard for me to function. When I come to all these places to wrestle, you know, America, Canada, Japan, China, Russia, Austria, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, all these places I go to wrestle, when I can't take my bird, it kind of weakens the Birdman a little bit.

What was it like to work Wrestlemania III and how was Butch Reed to work with? (Scott)

Koko: I don't know about the matches, but it was the biggest of all time. The matches were great too, but it was the biggest crowd ever. We still hold the record of that, 93,175 in the Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan. That's what you call a Wrestlemania and God bless all the young generation. I want them to top our record. I want them to beat our record. Wrestling "The Natural" Butch Reed was an incredible match that we had. He's a big, tall, muscular guy and I was the little Birdman, but I'll tell you, I was shake, rattle and roll on him brother. I didn't win the match, but when he woke up on that couch, he's like, "Did I win?" I had to tell him that he won.

What was it like teaming with Owen Hart as a part of High Energy? (Rob Adler)

Koko: Owen Hart was one of the classiest guys that you'd ever want to be around and be partners with. In fact, the whole Hart family I love to death and I still love them. I haven't seen Bret Hart in so long. I haven't seen him since Owen died. Just being partners with Owen, we had so much fun together. Owen loved to pull ribs on you and tell jokes and kind of rib you a lot. He didn't want to spend a dime. That's one thing about Owen Hart. He never spent any money and I guess that's why he became a millionaire. If he spent a dollar, he would cry about it for three days (laughter).

Do you think we will see Owen in the WWE Hall of Fame? (Rob Feind)

Koko: I don't know why not. He deserves it and I'm sure his time is coming, just like my time came and I would love to help induct Owen Hart myself. But I'm sure he's got brothers to probably fill that spot. I would love to see Bret do that. If Bret didn't do it, I guess I would be next in line.

Did you feel that you deserved a better push or a title reign in the WWE? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: I only did what I had to do brother. The only title I really had was my bird, brother. I wasn't even thinking about any other title, because I didn't want to get involved in the title matches and stuff like that, because I already had a bird to take out and if I had to take this belt out, that would just be too much weight, man (laughter).

You have been one of the most unique wrestlers I have ever seen. What inspired you to create the Birdman gimmick? (Ryan Conway)

Koko: Me and my wife were sitting at home and we were watching this old Morris Day, called Morris Day and The Time, and they were on the stage doing this bird dance and my wife is a dance teacher and she just got up and said, "You could do this dance really easy. Everybody can do this bird dance." So I said, "Okay, I'll take it to the ring." And it took off.

What were the backstage politics like in those days? (Rob Fiend)

Koko: It was pretty tough, because we didn't have any script writers back in the days. We had to come up with stuff off our heads and stuff like that. Everybody was just really careful like if a stranger came in the dressing room, we didn't wait for the promoter. We were like, "Hey man, who are you? What do you need? Don't go any further, stop right there." We were real protective, but I don't know how the officials are run now. I'm sure they're run professionally with a real tight security that they don't let anybody in the dressing room.

What was the WWE Hall of Fame like? (Courtney Marshall)

Koko: I thought it was the greatest thing in my life and every fan got their wish, and I got mine. I thank God for everybody that was saying, "When is Koko going to get into the Hall of Fame?" But when it happened, I'm sure all the people shed their tears all across the country and I know that I shed mine. So God bless us all. We made it.

What was the connection to you being inducted by The Honky Tonk Man? (SLAM! Wrestling)

Koko: It was a little strange, because this was the first time that it had ever came out that Honky Tonk Man and I, we kind of started out together wrestling. We got in at the same area where we lived at. He's a Tennessee guy and I'm a Tennessee fellow myself; well slash Tennessee and Canadian. I still think of myself as part of Canada when I go there. I went to Toronto one time and from now on, I'm going to say I am part of Canada; I'm an American/Canadian. So that's where Honky Tonk and I started and we worked out in the same area together. He would be the only one, besides Jerry Lawler or Jimmy Hart to induct me.

Any chance of seeing you make an appearance with TNA or WWE in the near future? (Rob Adler)

Koko: You saw what I did best out there. I was with TNA a while back when they did their pay per view and they just gave us the utmost respect and WWE just topped it off when they just brought me back and put me in the Hall of Fame and I got a chance to go to Smackdown and just sit out there in the audience and they put the camera on me for five seconds or ten seconds and announced me. There is no way that I can come out there and come off of those ladder matches or coming off of the top rope and start flying out on the floor with somebody. But if you give me the old school wrestling brother, I can do it.

Interview with The Beautiful People:
    In a first for "Under the Ring," we have our first second-time interview in Velvet Sky of Total Nonstop Action Wrestling's The Beautiful People.

This time, Velvet was joined by her tag team partner, TNA Women's Knockouts Champion, Angelina Love.

I had the chance to speak to both (somewhat seperately) at their autograph signing at Collector's Realm in Poughkeepsie.

You didn't just come here for the photo of Angelina and Velvet, did you? There's something out of place in that picture. I'm pretty sure it's me. Either way, thanks to Joe Sinforoso at Collector's Realm for the accomodation, Joseph DeSario for the photo and Ross Forman from TNA Wrestling for the access.

Velvet Sky interview

Phil Strum: The last time you were here, everything was just starting off for you in TNA. What's the experience been like to this point?

Velvet Sky: Obviously, The Beautiful People are the face of the Knockouts division and it didn't take long for us, the fans and the company, to realize that we should have been in the top spot from the second we walked in the door. And look at us now.

PS: What's it been like, being in the top singles program. I guess first it was Awesome Kong and I guess it's going to be a little bit of Victoria too.

VS: I mean, are you really shocked, that we are in the top?

PS: No.

VS: We're not either. When it happened, we were like, oh, you know. We're doing what's rightfully ours to do. It wasn't a shocker to us when they put us in the top spot. We expect it.

PS: Is it difficult, at all, to be creative with everything you do every week? Every week that I watch the show, even this past week — the stuff with [Jeremy] Borash was just cracking me up. Is it hard to stay sharp and stay creative and come up with everything?

VS: No. We have own little things and quirks about us that we say in everyday life and we just incorporate it into our promos. Like idiot hole. Idiot hole's my word I've been saying my entire life. I take a little bit of the real me and I incorporate it into my promo, because that makes it that much more believable and funny to me.

PS: You guys seem like you have a good time playing off of JB (Jeremy Borash).

VS: Oh yeah. JB's, I mean he's just a target. He's got a bull's-eye on him at all times that says, 'Please, mess with me.' He's a good sport about it though.

PS: When Angelina won the Knockouts title, were you guys happy to be sticking together?

VS: Oh yeah, of course. It was our plan all along. We set out a goal and we achieved it.

PS: And now having a third partner (Madison Rayne). What's the adjustment been like with that and dealing with that?

VS: Madison's really come into her own. At first, we were kind of like, 'do we really need a third girl with us?' We were kind of both skeptical about it, but she's really come into her own and she's adjusted and fit in well with us, so we're happy to have her.

PS: Where do you see yourself in the future with this unit?

VS: Still on top. As always. Never gonna stop.

Angelina Love interview

PS: You got hurt pretty bad when you won the title from Awesome Kong. Was it a concussion?

Angelina Love: Yeah. When I caught Taylor Wilde's cross-body, I got her hip in my jaw and it knocked my jaw to the left and crushed it and then she landed on my head as well. I was completely knocked out from that minute until I got backstage. I was pretty much carried by four security guards to the trainer's office. I was completely blacked out. I don't even remember winning.

PS: You were back in the ring just a couple of days later. I was at the show in Newburgh when you guys had a tag match.

AL: They went easy on me at TV because they knew how hard I was. But then, yeah, you've got to make a living, so I was doing indie shows about five days later. It probably wasn't too safe, but...(laughs).

PS: How are you doing now?

AL: I'm doing a lot better. I'm doing a lot better. It was really upsetting because I get really worried about head shots and concussions and how much they can affect you in your future. It was very, very upsetting when that happened. I know accidents happen and stuff. My head feels a lot better now. Honestly, it took my jaw about six weeks for me to actually be able to clench my teeth together again and be able to chew hard food and stuff on my left side. But, I'm totally fine now.

PS: How much did you two know of each other before teaming up in TNA?

(Velvet Sky, sitting next to her partner, gives the universal sign for "ZERO!")

PS: Really?

AL: We did one indie show together, in like 2004. 2003? And then when I was in WWE developmental, she came down for a week and stayed with Krissy Vaine and had like a five-day tryout. I don't know. We knew each other a very, very little bit when we first started in TNA, but we're so similar personality-wise and sarcasm-wise and everything-wise, that as soon as we started hanging out, we became friends.

PS: Whose idea was it to put you guys together?

AL: Ours.

PS: It was your own?

AL: Mmmm hmm...

PS: You guys came in on the same show, right? It was some sort of a battle royal?

Velvet Sky: Bound for Glory. It was the first-ever women's gauntlet. We weren't a team yet.

PS: Moving forward now, what do you see for yourself and your own career?

AL: We definitely are being used a lot. We're getting a lot of TV time. We're getting a lot of promo time. They put the belt on me, which is good for everybody. For everybody in The Beautiful People. We work our butts off. The girls are getting the highest-rated segments on the show still. It's very, very successful.

PS: So, at the end of your WWE developmental career, is this a very good ideal situation for you to be in now?

AL: Of course it is. I was super, super happy when I got signed by WWE. It was a great experience being there. But I was nowhere used to my full potential. I never did TV. I never did pay-per-view. All I did was TV for developmental and I trained all the time. I already knew how to wrestle and I definitely improved on a lot of my skills and stuff, but there was so much more that I was able to do that I just wasn't doing. When I was released, I was really upset, but it opened up...you know as far as, one door closes, a new one opens kind of thing. That's like the story of my life right now. I couldn't be happier doing what I'm doing right now and I'm very, very lucky. Very lucky.

PS: Well, I always enjoy watching you guys every week. It's one of the big highlights of the show for me all the time.

AL: Thank you.

biter much Ken?
    Just some food for thought and maybe some questions you can ask yourselves.

If I take a sledgehammer and SMASH you in the side of the head and you get hurt very badly, does that make you "injury prone"?

If I cut off your arm with a samurai sword, and you have to have it reattached (causing you to miss several months of work) are you also then to be considered..."injury prone"?

Well let's say that you're in a match in Italy standing on the apron during a ten man tag match, and a guy is supposed to come over and give you a little forearm which will cause you to drop to the floor, but INSTEAD, he decides to drop kick your ass into the 20th row, he virtually leg presses you off the apron, and you have a "Matrix" like moment in your head where you see yourself flying backwards through the air. You clear the mats that line the floor outside the ring and because you're trying to protect your head from smashing into the guardrail, you stretch your right arm over your head. At the moment you make IMPACT with the concrete floor, your arm stretched out over your head and the sudden stop causes the tendon in your latissimus dorsi (or that big back muscle that you see on bodybuilders, ya know the ones that look like wings...) to SNAP in two and it coils up down your side to the point that's in line with your belly button. Let's say.....hypothetically.......that this happened to you. Would you call yourself...."injury prone"?

Let's throw another "hypothetical situation" out there. Let's say that you're having a match with a guy who's just supposed to give you a lil' old schoolboy to end the match. Just a nice and easy rollup for the finish. In fact the night before he hit you with his finish and the crowd didn't really react as strongly as you would have liked it to, so the agent (or producer) who's in charge of your match that night has told your opponent specifically NOT to hit his finish. Now keep in mind that having said this, your opponent's finisher is probably the furthest thing from your mind. So as you're waiting for this nice little easy rollup for the finish, the guy leaps into the air, hooks your head tight, causing your right arm to get caught between your two bodies, and drives you chest first into the mat. You go from standing to laying on your stomach with your arm stretched across your chest and your shoulder pops out of it's socket, tearing that muscle about 60% away from the bone. Now again, would an event such as this make you......"injury prone"?

Now if something like this HAD ever happened to me (again, these are strictly hypothetical situations), I probably wouldn't say anything about it to anyone. I for one would never want to bury another talent, whine or cry about it, I'd probably just chalk it up to poor judgement, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, rather than accusing someone of being a stiff in the ring. Let's face it, accidents happen in the wrestling business which is why there are countless videos of "wrestling screw-ups" on YouTube. Every once in awhile if you're in the wrestling business, you're gonna get a BOO-BOO.
    http://www.ken-kennedy.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If what he claims is true I wouldn't call him bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If what he says is true and refers to his own experiences I wouldn't necessarily fire him but i'd definitely send him back to developmental.

Not wishing to be harsh on the guy but he's essentially saying that he can't protect himself, that he doesn't pay attention to what's happening in the match and more importantly the position and stance of the people he's working with.

Also it smacks of everything being "someone elses fault".

Ironic though that he'd post a message about being injured by careless workers when it's likely he was released after that back suplex he gave Orton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Does anyone know who he is referring to?

Does anyone know who he is referring to?

I imagine the second one was about Orton, considering the description of the finisher and how it was his arm (?) caught underneath him while taking the RKO that did the damage.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I imagine the second one was about Orton, considering the description of the finisher and how it was his arm (?) caught underneath him while taking the RKO that did the damage.

When did this happen though? I don't remember kennedy being severely injured by Orton?

When did this happen though? I don't remember kennedy being severely injured by Orton?

Was that not his final injury? I haven't been watching that much lately but I thought there was a ten man tag on Raw a few weeks ago where Kennedy gave Randy a bad suplex, and in response Orton hit Kennedy with an RKO which messed up his arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

After his first match back a few weeks ago, there had been some sources saying he injured his wrist, but then he posted a video of himself showing his wrists were fine. Didn't look like his arm had recently been pulled out of its socket and 60% of the muscle ripped from the bone either though

Was that not his final injury? I haven't been watching that much lately but I thought there was a ten man tag on Raw a few weeks ago where Kennedy gave Randy a bad suplex, and in response Orton hit Kennedy with an RKO which messed up his arm.

no, that was "supposedly" a wrist injury. I say "supposedly" because he later posted a video showing full motion in the 'injured' wrist.
    After his first match back a few weeks ago, there had been some sources saying he injured his wrist, but then he posted a video of himself showing his wrists were fine. Didn't look like his arm had recently been pulled out of its socket and 60% of the muscle ripped from the bone either though

Yep,so it can't really be that, maybe he's referring to how Batista got injured?

no, that was "supposedly" a wrist injury. I say "supposedly" because he later posted a video showing full motion in the 'injured' wrist.

Ah okay, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yep,so it can't really be that, maybe he's referring to how Batista got injured?

Well, I was going to say how would Kennedy know about the finish for the match seeing as how he'd already been fired before that, but I suppose he'd still have friends in the WWE who could have told him.

Is that how Batista was injured anyway? If so, thats a helluva dig at Orton.

• Advertisement

Is that how Batista was injured anyway? If so, thats a helluva dig at Orton.
    I don't know but seeing as batista would probably have been working house shows with Orton it's a possibility.

"Dropkicked 20 rows back." Well Ken's talent for saying his name twice in a stupid voice is surpassed only by his talent for hyperbole I suppose. He comes across like a right idiot in that blog to be honest, blaming everyone else for his problems like the most pathetic of people in this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

flahavaj wrote: »
    "Dropkicked 20 rows back." Well Ken's talent for saying his name twice in a stupid voice is surpassed only by his talent for hyperbole I suppose. He comes across like a right idiot in that blog to be honest, blaming everyone else for his problems like the most pathetic of people in this life.

Can't disagree here really. All the incidents he mentioned in that blog are exaggerated to a laughable degree. He really does come across as a tool.

And unlike flahavaj, i actually was a fan of Kennedy. :)

Kennedy got that shoulder injury taking Shelton Benjamin's finisher

LZ5by5 wrote: »

It sounds much more like Shelton seeing as he got seriously injured taking paydirt last year and was wrestling him regularly on house shows.
    EDIT : Fozzy beat me to it by 4 minutes!

Daniels on TNA and Slammiversary:
    TNA heads into a town that has been the poster child for the downed economy, Detroit, for this Sunday’s Slammiversary pay-per-view. Daniels, who has been with the company since its early days in Tennessee, does not feel the area’s economy will hurt what can be amazing entertainment at a good value.

"You get great entertainment for your dollar," Daniels told SLAM! Wrestling. "You can go out and enjoy yourself."

TNA is having specials on tickets, including general admission seating as low as seven dollars.

Slammiversary celebrates the seventh anniversary of TNA, a company that struggled financially for years until recently being able to be profitable. "We are reaping the benefits of us working together during the Asylum days in Memphis. We all have been on the road together. We failed together. We succeeded together. I consider these guys family."

When asked if he took any personal pride in seeing the company build in a successful venture, Daniels (who has dropped Christopher from his name) did not want to compliment himself but noted it was "a team effort."

Shane Douglas, who has been missing from wrestling for a couple of years, will be Daniels' opponent this Sunday. When asked how the match will work with Douglas not being in the best of ring shape, Daniels said that "Shane’s greatest asset was his mind. He has more experience and broader mind than I do and this will be a different Daniels match that you normally see."

Douglas and Raven were brought back to the company by TNA as part of celebrating the history of the company at Slammiversary.

Daniels' upcoming match with Douglas (who worked in the early days of the company as both a wrestler, manager and agent) brought back memories his history with TNA. His three-way match with Samoa Joe and A.J. Styles at TNA’s Unbreakable pay-per-view on September 11, 2005 was the one moment that stood out as his favorite. It is the only TNA match to be given the respected five-star rating from The Wrestling Observer.

"It was really a high point for the X-Division because it was the only time the X-Division Title was defended in a pay-per-view main event. And the division was able to shine."

But Daniels thinks that the X-Division may reach that plateau again soon with guys like Amazing Red, Alex Shelley, Suicide and others leading the way.

Sunday’s event will be held at the Palace of Auburn Hills, about 30 minutes north of Detroit, which is the biggest arena TNA has ever run. Daniels is hopeful that TNA will use this as another building stone in the growth of the company.

"TNA is branching out and coming to a large arena is part of the progress of the company. A lot of this (branching out) can come with our house shows, which are really in their infancy. We are able to bring the fans longer matches and make a more personal connection with them."

If TNA wishes to grow, they can use the experience at this Sunday’s event to learn about "branching out" and trying things they have never done before. Tickets are still available and can be purchased at Ticketmaster outlets or check TNAWrestling.com for more information.

By the way, today is the 7th anniversary of TNA so happy birthday to TNA.

Just a little something that made me laugh. Meltzer was talking about the original reason that Flair was backstage at Raw this week, so that someone there would "leak" a story to him or others about Flair being the new GM. But nobody said anything to him. Then WWE realised that they'd better use him on the show in some way because of the chants and woos that the audience would be doing

Good article from Heyman on CM Punk and the young stars in the WWE...
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/heyman/2491439/Paul-Heyman-reveals-why-the-WWE-put-CM-Punk-in-play.html
    I WANT to publicly offer my most sincere compliments to World Wrestling Entertainment on the character development the audience is witnessing revolving around Smackdown's world heavyweight champion CM Punk.

There are many reasons the proverbial glass ceiling in WWE is being shattered, at least for the moment, by the Straight Edge performer from Chicago, Illinois, but here's one thing that can be stated as an "absolute"...

The CM Punk character is "in play", and WWE is offering its audience the opportunity to come along for the ride and have an emotional investment in a genuinely interesting character.

When Punk first signed a WWE contract in 2005, he was thought of by the Internet fan base as a "can't miss" prospect.

Punk was sent to the OVW Developmental System in Louisville, Kentucky to be groomed for the main roster. This was during the time I was assigned to write and produce the OVW Developmental television show.

Gabe Sapolsky, an assistant of mine from the original ECW who scripted Punk in Ring of Honor told me: "He will be a smash hit no matter how long it takes for them to realise it."

Punk became the focal point of the OVW television show, and was the subject of the scouting reports I would send every other week to WWE Chairman Vince McMahon, Talent Relations Exec John Laurinaitis, Stephanie McMahon-LeVesque and the entire writing team.

Yet, of the 30-plus talents called up to the main roster during my seven months developing characters in OVW, Punk was never drafted to Raw or Smackdown.

While I understand that everyone views talents differently, I was always shocked at the lack of any vision whatsoever for such a hard worker and intriguing storyteller like Punk.

His subtle heel mannerisms in OVW were that of a seasoned professional and when he was presented as a babyface, his ability to connect with the crowd could not be denied.

So when I had to build a roster for the resurrected ECW brand, Punk was my first draft choice from the developmental system. That was a no-brainer.

Punk has had his growing pains in WWE, some of which can and should be directly attributable to the fact he was painted to Vince as a "Heyman guy".

I always hated it when wrestlers were labelled as someone's project. Punk was a WWE project, for WWE to profit on and from.

His progression should not have been derailed because others lacked the belief in him that I had nor because I was willing to fight to creatively protect a character that obviously connected with the audience and the audience with him.

But a while after my departure from WWE, when the need for a youth movement was evident, the focus started swaying back towards this uniquely charismatic individual.

Much in the way Rob Van Dam and Jeff Hardy are the antitheses of Vince McMahon's vision of a true WWE superstar, Punk doesn't talk like anyone else, wrestle like anyone else or present himself like anyone else on WWE's roster.

That's why his character works. It stands out.

When Punk won the Money In The Bank match for the second straight WrestleMania, no one in WWE could see the direction in which the product was headed.

Undertaker needed some time off. Shawn Michaels decided to take a much-deserved rest. Then came the whammy. Jeff Hardy wanted to go home, at least for a while.

The panic button was pushed.

The creative mandate was obvious. The youth movement was in full swing.

Randy Orton was the centre of the WWE Universe. Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase would be the ones to help him get his heat and the first line of defence when it came time for the babyfaces to shine like heroes.

Then there's Chris Jericho. Despite banging on the "40 and over" club door, the presentation of Jericho makes him a new character and, since he has been injury-free his entire career, WWE could count on him.

But then there's a lot of attempts to create new main event players, but nothing that's catching on or taking hold.

The Colon Brothers are designed to appeal to the Latino audience, but the lack of emphasis on tag teams in WWE keeps them "luke warm" instead of "hot", despite them being the unified champs.

MVP is now a babyface but there's no reason yet for the audience to get behind him, besides that he might just be bedding one of the panellists from The View. Perhaps if WWE told the real life story of this reformed thug who spent almost a decade in US Federal Prison, only to rehabilitate himself and become a global superstar, fans would have a compelling reason to cheer on MVP for his riveting life story.

John Morrison is another character who has been presented as a babyface with nothing to entice the crowd to have a vested interest in his success. Morrison has everything it takes to become this generation's Heartbreak Kid, but that ascent up the ladder will only commence when the audience is given a genuine reason to latch on to his rising star.

So with all eyes on Orton but HBK, Taker and Batista on the shelf and HHH needing time off too, the pushes of The Colons, Morrison and MVP needing time and TLC (Tender Loving Care from creative, not "Tables Ladders and Chairs") and Kennedy and Umaga fired, WWE was reeling.

Add in the uncertain future of the popular Jeff Hardy, and what do you do?

WWE came up with a most interesting solution.

Put CM Punk in play.

When Jeff Hardy defeated the awesome Adam 'Edge' Copeland for the Smackdown version of the world title in a Ladder Match at Extreme Rules, the audience rejoiced

Then came the best moment in WWE since Orton punted Stephanie.

CM Punk came out, cashed in Money In The Bank and defeated Hardy for the championship.

He didn't do it in heel fashion. He played by the rules.

All world champions must "defend themselves at all times" from the Sword of Damocles of the Money In The Bank winner cashing in that title contract.

The debate was on.

Was Punk a heel, making what could be at best described as an un-sportsmanlike decision by taking advantage of Hardy's exhaustion, having just defeated The Rated R Superstar in such a gruelling battle?

Or was Punk a babyface, a ruthless man in a ruthless world, doing something no doubt The Rock or Stone Cold Steve Austin would have done if given half the chance?

In the coming weeks, I am sure Punk will display personality traits of both hero and villain. Fan favorite and subtle rulebreaker. B abyface and heel.

His character, based on his real life discipline of abstaining from drugs and alcohol, can be presented as both a man of principles, and a champion who, with the exception of the drugs and alcohol he is above, will do anything to remain the World Heavyweight Title holder.

As Smackdown looks to hold onto its audience in the post-Jeff Hardy Fall Season 2009, the audience has a lot to be interested in.

What will Hardy's send-off be like?

He surely has to be given time off. A man with two strikes in the Wellness Policy who speaks up publicly of his desire to go home for a while should not be pushed to stay on the road. That's a recipe for disaster.

Where does Edge's character go? Are there enough heroes to stand up in the face of adversity personified by heels Edge, Jericho, and Punk?

Is it time for the Vickie Guerrero-less Edge to become Smackdown's Last Hope?

And what becomes of CM Punk?

Each week, as a new clue emerges for both sides of the heel v babyface debate, an uber-talented performer gets the chance to tease the audience, get them to care, make you wonder what's next for a champion you absolutely know is "the character in play" on Smackdown.

When the audience knows the WWE Universe revolves around a pivotal superstar, it gives fans a reason to discuss the latest twists and turns with their friends, to watch the television shows and to purchase tickets to the live events as well as the monthly PPVs.

Every show featuring Punk becomes a "must-see" because his star is emerging, and you might just miss the event that kicks off the big push to WrestleMania season.

Or even just the next big clue as to where WWE is headed with his character and the world title picture.

With WWE sending out ill-advised press releases treating Donald Trump's "purchase of Raw" as "real", and a top tier that has unfortunately grown stale because of the lack of new matchups, World Wrestling Entertainment has found a reason for you to watch, care, and spend.

And that reason is CM Punk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its a good point, not making him heel straight away or an obvious face gives a reason to take an interest in him.

Also agree with his points about MVP and Jo Mo, we know they are faces but there was no reason to care (Yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very good article from Heyman. I too saw Morrison in a similar light to HBK a few years back when he was wrestling good matches for the IC Title following a succesful tag team run, but it seems he's gone nowhere since. The idea to get MVP over as a babyface is brilliant.

I agree with his analysis of Punk but I think he gives the present writing staff way too much credit when he predicts what will happen over the next few weeks. I'm not sure WWE Creative can be that creative. Guess time will tell.

It shows Heyman still has a very good mind for the business. It's a damn shame it's not being utilised right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement