Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Randy Savage has been added to the WWE Alumni section on WWE.com

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wwealumni/randysavage/bio/

Did anyone actually read that f*cking bio? The amount of bull**** on it is unreal. I especially got a good laugh out of this:

"Success continued to coincide with Macho Man in 1988, when he won the King of the Ring tournament at WrestleMania IV to earn his first WWE Championship"

Hang on a second. That wasn't a King of The Ring tournament! When has a KOTR tourney ever been held at a Wrestlemania?

- Savage did win a KOTR tournament, but it wasn't televised, and it was in 1987.

- There was a KOTR tournament in 1988 after Wrestlemania that year too, but Savage didn't win it. He was in the finals against DiBiase, but he got counted out.

"Savage went on to dub himself "Macho King" after defeating "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan for the King of the Ring title in 1989"

Whaaaaat? Back the f*ck up a second!!
    Wrong title guys, KOTR and the actual King weren't the same, From what i remember, the King title was something basically thrown around by Bobby Heenan. Harley Race was given it when he came to the promotion in the mid 80s, but when he got injured, Heenan proclaimed Haku the new king. Duggan then beat Haku for said title, and then Savage beat Duggan for it.

But it wasn't the KOTR tournament that year, Santana won that beating Martel in the finals.

I'm all on for WWE marketing, re-showing and re-releasing classic footage as there was none better for it's time, but the re-writing of history is getting a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

come on now SR, as orestes mentioned wwe thinks people forget what they have just been told so they are not going to remember way back that far! :p

either that or they have forgotten themselves!

come on now SR, as orestes mentioned wwe thinks people forget what they have just been told so they are not going to remember way back that far! :p

either that or they have forgotten themselves!

Vince McMahon has always had the mentality that PW fans have the memory of a goldfish and has displayed it time out of number. Hell, I think the worst displays of WWE revisionism was the Monday Night War and Self Destruction Of The Ultimate Warrior DVDs.

Utterly terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Depends on the one you refer to.
    In the proper Hall Of Fame, yes, he got inducted in 1996.

In the joke that is WWE's Hall Of Fame for rejected footballers and baseball players, then no, he isn't.

That's a bit harsh on the WWE HOF as I think 99% of its inductees deserve to be there don't you think and most Hall of Fames induct people with minimal connections to the particular Hall of Fame

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

RAMPAGE1 wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh on the WWE HOF as I think 99% of its inductees deserve to be there don't you think and most Hall of Fames induct people with minimal connections to the particular Hall of Fame

less than 99% i would think, i would say probably 75% deserve to be there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

It still amazes me how WWE builds up its "Hall Of Fame" when we have such excellent contributors to wrestling as Vince McMahon's Limo Driver....and Pete Rose....and William "Refrigerator" Perry....and Koko B. Ware....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Vince McMahon has always had the mentality that PW fans have the memory of a goldfish and has displayed it time out of number. Hell, I think the worst displays of WWE revisionism was the Monday Night War and Self Destruction Of The Ultimate Warrior DVDs.

Utterly terrible.

Meltzer has mentioned before that Vince himself has the memory of a goldfish. I forget the examples he used but it was funny to hear about. I think some of it was in the interview that he gave for the congressional hearings. There was stuff that he'd have no reason to lie about, like how he bought up some territories, but he had the whole thing backwards

Fozzy wrote: »
    Meltzer has mentioned before that Vince himself has the memory of a goldfish. I forget the examples he used but it was funny to hear about. I think some of it was in the interview that he gave for the congressional hearings. There was stuff that he'd have no reason to lie about, like how he bought up some territories, but he had the whole thing backwards

Thing is Foz, I honestly think he does it intentionally. He has the memory of a goldfish, yet he never forgets the likes of Luger, or Shane Douglas.

Plus when it comes to the website, i don't think Vince has a huge hand in it. Probably some second rate researcher who has no clue about the industry, or it's history. But 5 minutes worth of internet research or thumbing through a couple of books really isn't a lot to ask, is it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Thing is Foz, I honestly think he does it intentionally. He has the memory of a goldfish, yet he never forgets the likes of Luger, or Shane Douglas.

Plus when it comes to the website, i don't think Vince has a huge hand in it. Probably some second rate researcher who has no clue about the industry, or it's history. But 5 minutes worth of internet research or thumbing through a couple of books really isn't a lot to ask, is it? :)

you aimin for the job are ya SR?!

99%? You're being a bit generous there considering the likes of Koko B Ware, Howard Finkel, Pete Rose, William Perry. It's supposed to be the WWE hall of fame, but Harley Race's time in WWE was less than memorable (Don't get me wrong, i fully believe that Harley Race is a legend and hall of famer, just not in that promotion, regardless on if they bought NWA/WCW archives)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Preview of Mick Foley's forth autobiography:
    Let's give this thing another try. From the chapter, "A Few of my Favorite Things", from the book "Crossing the Line", due in Winter/Spring 2010 from Grand Central Publishing, here is a look at Knoebel's Grove Amusement Resort.

Knoebel's Grove - Elysburg, Pa. It's just a tad off the beaten path, but this amazing place has been family owned and operated since 1926, when it opened as a local swimming hole. Brian Knoebel, the great, great grandson of the park's founder told me his dad had only few requests/non-negotiable demands when or if he ever hands over the reigns at the Grove.
    1) No charging a fee for parking

2) No mandatory admission charge.

3) No fencing the park in

The more I see of this place (one visit in 2000, twice in 2008, one in 2009) the more of its history I feel with every step I make, and every ride I take. Knoebel's may be on every park enthusiast's check-list now, but the Knoebel's family still appreciates and values its hard working, multi-generational clientele, and doesn't want a mom or a dad, or their mom or dad to pay an admission to simply watch their children or grandchildren enjoying the rides.

As a thankyou for my uncanny Halloween contest judging ability at the Phoenix Phall Phun Phest (the Phoenix is the name of a coaster,not an indication of a poor spelling epidemic in the Elysburg area) the previous evening, I was given the opportunity to ride the Twister - an incredible wooden coaster put together with wood from the Knoebel's family lumberyard- about an hour before official opening time the next morning. As the Twister's train began its steep ascent, I took in the beautiful morning; the fog perched like fat marshmallows atop mountain peaks, beatuiful fall foliage painting the park in luminous shades of reds, oranges and yellows.

As the train finished its climb, I took in a view of much of the park from the rides apex. Campfire smoke drifting up into the sky, tiny streams meandering along walkways and under wooden bridges, an eclectic collection of rides, some older, some new - all of them an intergral part of this unique American puzzle.

Than whoosh! We plunge down, faster, still faster, as this great home made thrill ride enters the first of its many twists and turns. And it dawns on me that if not for the Phoenix and Twister, this entire wonderful scene would be a well kept secret, hidden away from all but the local faithful and a few diehard fans. Because the Phoenix, and later, the Twister I'm told, changed everything, serving as the unofficial park beacon, calling out to people accross the land who love a great ride.

And then, once those ride lovers arrive, they can take in and enjoy everything else that the place has to offer; the history, the mountains, the campground, the cabins, the eclectic collection of rides.

Maybe that's my role in TNA - to help serve as a beacon of sorts for the company, calling out to wrestling fans young and old, to give our place a try. Maybe I'm like one of those wooden coaster, like the Phoenix, which was purchased from an older park, shipped to Elysburg and rebuilt, piece by piece at Knoebel's Grove. Cynics said it couldn't be done, but were proven wrong; indeed the Phoenix arose from the ashes of obscurity better and faster than ever, attracting fans who otherwise would never have given the place a thought, let alone a try.

Okay, so maybe I'm not faster and better than ever, but I do feel like I've been rebuilt and given a second chance at TNA. And my hope is that I can help lure new fans into the fairly well kept secret that in some ways TNA still is. Then, once they're in, they can appreciate all our place has to offer.

joey styles oversees the whole running of the website from what i have heard

rossie1977 wrote: »
    joey styles oversees the whole running of the website from what i have heard

Lol, he was probably still growing pubes and wondering what the hell was going on around the time Savage had made his debut in 1985! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

Lol, he was probably still growing pubes and wondering what the hell was going on around the time Savage had made his debut in 1985! :D

I actually looked this up, thinking "Nah, he couldn't have been that young in 1985". Turns out he was born in July 1971. Which means he was only 22 when he started calling ECW shows. Christ! Even in 1994 the man looked like he was in his thirties.

Anyway, as you were...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

TNA

According to Borash and his twitter page Hernandez is fit to wrestle again.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2719.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

99%? You're being a bit generous there considering the likes of Koko B Ware, Howard Finkel, Pete Rose, William Perry. It's supposed to be the WWE hall of fame, but Harley Race's time in WWE was less than memorable (Don't get me wrong, i fully believe that Harley Race is a legend and hall of famer, just not in that promotion, regardless on if they bought NWA/WCW archives)

Its not just based on WWE work though, as evidence by the inductions of the Funks (who did alomost all their notable work outside WWE) and the von Erichs (who apart from Kerry who had a reasonable run, none of whom did anything of note with Vince)this year and thats just two examples. This is why the WWE HOF is so hotly debated, there are no criteria for going in and more and more it seems to be based on who happens to be from the city that Mania takes place in, on any given year.

Bottom line as you say, the only Hall of Fame thats worth jack sh*t in wrestling is the Observer's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Wierd double post.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its not just based on WWE work though, as evidence by the inductions of the Funks (who did alomost all their notable work outside WWE) and the von Erichs (who apart from Kerry who had a reasonable run, none of whom did anything of note with Vince)this year and thats just two examples. This is why the WWE HOF is so hotly debated, there are no criteria for going in and more and more it seems to be based on who happens to be from the city that Mania takes place in, on any given year.

That's partially my point. I used Race because he was one of the first inducted who did little with the promotion. Before they started adding in the Funks, The Von Erichs, Dusty Rhodes. etc.
    Bottom line as you say, the only Hall of Fame thats worth jack sh*t in wrestling is the Observer's.

Amen, but Vince needs to keep the marks happy prior to Wrestlemania to make em feel like they're part of something remotely important. Sorry for those who get offended by my comments here, but the WWE hall of fame is about as meaningful and as credible as the Slammy Awards and the RAW 10th anniversary awards.

In other words, it's a sham. :)

That's partially my point. I used Race because he was one of the first inducted who did little with the promotion. Before they started adding in the Funks, The Von Erichs, Dusty Rhodes. etc.

Amen, but Vince needs to keep the marks happy prior to Wrestlemania to make em feel like they're part of something remotely important. Sorry for those who get offended by my comments here, but the WWE hall of fame is about as meaningful and as credible as the Slammy Awards and the RAW 10th anniversary awards.

In other words, it's a sham. :)

No offence Shawn but you haven't attended one yet I was at the HOF at mania 22 and Bret and Eddie get inducted and cried my eyes out and certainly wasn't a sham far from it. The experience of a lifetime that nobody can take away from me. Attending the HOF Live is very different to watching it watered down on tv or dvd

No offence Shawn but you haven't attended one yet I was at the HOF at mania 22 and Bret and Eddie get inducted and cried my eyes out and certainly wasn't a sham far from it. The experience of a lifetime that nobody can take away from me. Attending the HOF Live is very different to watching it watered down on tv or dvd

But it's not a proper "hall of fame" either. More of "Vince thinks you should be acknowledged in some way because he screwed you over one way or another in the past". It might be a great event to attend live, but it's still a meaningless title that holds no water.

• Advertisement

i was at HOF 2004 in NYC, good god i have never been more bored in my life (i have heard they have cut the speeches short since) but it went on for hours and hours, after the 4th hour i was ready to chew my arm off

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i was at HOF 2004 in NYC, good god i have never been more bored in my life (i have heard they have cut the speeches short since) but it went on for hours and hours, after the 4th hour i was ready to chew my arm off

Was it boring because of the Inductees like if it had been Stone Cold, Bret Hart, or Eddie Guerrero do you think you would have enjoyed it more

Was it boring because of the Inductees like if it had been Stone Cold, Bret Hart, or Eddie Guerrero do you think you would have enjoyed it more

I actually thought the 2006 one was more boring, at least 2004 had Harley Race, Greg Valentine and Bobby Heenan in there. :D

The Observer says that Mysterio wasn't at Raw and people backstage were saying that he had handed in his notice, but Meltzer hasn't been able to confirm it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Observer says that Mysterio wasn't at Raw and people backstage were saying that he had handed in his notice, but Meltzer hasn't been able to confirm it
    But he is a Smackdown Superstar!
    PW Insider have poured scorn on the f4 boys.He would be a massive loss though to Vince if he leaves.
    Since we've been asked about Rey Mysterio not appearing at the Smackdown taping this past Tuesday, I asked around and was told that he had been scheduled to miss the taping due to a lingering knee injury. His absence had been planned prior to the Intercontinental championship loss to Chris Jericho at Extreme Rules and there are plans to continue the Rey vs. Jericho storyline.
    http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=39318&p=1

JB on the growth of TNA:
    Jeremy Borash will never forget the first night of TNA Wrestling.

Only minutes before the company was set to make its pay-per-view debut in June 2002, a 450-pound Rikishi knockoff named Cheex accidentally snapped a ring rope during a non-televised match. Chaos ensued as TNA officials scrambled to repair the ring while also rearranging the show's script so viewers wouldn't know anything was amiss.

"I remember running frantically backstage saying, 'What do I do? What do I do?' " said Borash, who was serving as ring announcer. "Somebody yelled, 'Just pray!' That's exactly what I did. I went into the locker room and prayed for five minutes. At that point, we were literally in God's hands."

Fortunately for Borash and TNA, their prayers were answered.

Fixing the ring just in the nick of time, TNA made it through that first show and has since emerged as the second-largest U.S. promotion behind World Wrestling Entertainment. Borash's fortunes have improved as well. After working primarily as a jack-of-all-trades behind the scenes, Borash has blossomed conducting backstage interviews on "TNA Impact" (9 p.m. EDT Thursdays, Spike TV) and hosting a popular Internet wrestling webcast called "Spin Cycle" at www.tnawrestling.com.

During a telephone interview Tuesday, Borash reflected on how far TNA has come entering its aptly named "Slammiversary" pay-per-view show June 21 from Detroit.

"We were such a small staff when we started," said Borash, one of the few TNA employees remaining since the promotion's inception. "At one point, I was doing all the video packages for the show and coordinating media interviews. I had so many different responsibilities. Now, we have a department that handles PR and six guys that do nothing but edit video. The growth has taken a lot of the load off my shoulders. Now I can zero in on what I want to do as opposed to what I have to do."

Borash, 34, has relished being on-air since working at a Christian radio station in his hometown of Minneapolis at the age of 15. His work on a pro-wrestling radio show led to a job with the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling in the late 1990s. Borash parlayed the friendship he struck there with TNA founder Jeff Jarrett into a spot with the fledgling promotion.

Borash admits he had concerns about TNA's long-term viability until 2007, when the television deal with Spike began paying dividends and provided financial stability. While still not a strong pay-per-view draw, TNA draws a weekly audience of roughly 2 million viewers on Spike and now runs a regular touring schedule of live shows (Borash serves as ring announcer for those cards). TNA's talent roster also has drastically improved with WWE/WCW castoffs like Kurt Angle, Mick Foley and Sting being meshed with homegrown products like A.J. Styles and Samoa Joe.

"I reflect every time I go out there because I know how rough it was in the beginning," Borash said. "It makes me appreciate not having to worry about my paycheck for the next week."

Borash said he drew inspiration as a quirky TNA pitchman from three sources. Two of them -- "Mean" Gene Okerlund and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan -- are announcing icons. The third is the late comedian Don Knotts from his role as Ralph Furley on the 1970s sitcom "Three's Company."

"I watched that show every day as a kid," Borash said. "I noticed the weird looks he would get on his face when he would walk in on Jack Tripper (the late John Ritter) and hear a conversation in the next room about people having sex and things like that. But a lot of the time, the things I say come from what (the wrestlers) say backstage when we're hanging around. We have some very funny, sharp guys."

Much like Jarrett -- who still runs the company's creative team after his return as an active performer -- Borash is cognizant of trying to integrate new technology into TNA's modus operandi. Borash said he is close to signing a deal with Sirius Satellite Radio for a wrestling show. He also is using his Twitter account (https://twitter.com/JeremyBorash) to promote TNA and the Willy Wonka-style placement of a backstage pass for fans who attend live events.

"I take a picture of where I hide the pass in the arena," Borash said. "When the doors are opened, I post the photo on Twitter and there's a mad rush to get it. If I put it in the nosebleed seats of the upper deck, you see people running up to get it. That's a lot of fun."

Especially because Borash no longer has to worry whether each TNA show will be his last.

"It's weird because I never thought we weren't going to make it," he said. "That's probably me being a little naive and just hopeful and faithful. There are times where we probably shouldn't have made it. But now I've got more confidence in our product than ever before."

Frank Trigg on TNA and Wrestling:
    One has to wake up pretty early in the morning to get the best of mixed martial artist/analyst Frank Trigg. In Mississauga, Ont., recently for an MMA Expo, the Rochester, NY, native talked to SLAM! Wrestling about his stint with TNA and shared his thoughts on life after the octagon.

Trigg has competed against some of the best fighters in the world, the likes of Matt Hughes and Georges St-Pierre. He also knows wrestling, having trained under the tutelage of famed wrestling coach Jack Spates at the University of Oklahoma.

Then last September, in Oshawa, Ont., Trigg competed on TNA's No Surrender pay-per-view, where he took on A.J. Styles in an MMA-style match. So it isn't surprising to hear Trigg mull over a professional wrestling afterlife when his MMA career is over.

Trigg noted that he and TNA discussed his returning to wrestling more or less on a sporadic basis. "We talked a little bit about it," he elaborated. "We were trying to get back into it, but I signed my [four-fight] deal with UFC so that kind of pulls me out of pro wrestling at least for a while. But I was trying to get back in with TNA, and hopefully in the future once I'm retired from MMA and I'm full-time out of the sport, and ready to move on to something else, I can move into full-time pro wrestling."

With Trigg's amateur wrestling and judo credentials so extensive, it is interesting to hear his experience on learning the artform of professional wrestling.

"Tough, tough, man," he emphasized. "I can cut a promo like nobody's business. It's easy to cut a promo than to actually do the sport. It's tough. Pro wrestling is a tough, tough thing. It's a lot of dedication. It's a lot of me being able to work with a partner. In my expo, I don't work with anybody. You're punching me, I'm punching you; you're kicking me, I'm kicking you.

"In pro wrestling, I have to be able to work with you. I have to trust that you're going to put me in the right spot. You have to trust me that I'm going to go to the right spot that I'm not going to hurt you or be in the wrong spot when you try to kick me or try to move me around. It's a dance that I wasn't very familiar with." "It was way more difficult than I thought it was going to be."

This Saturday, June 13th, UFC 99 goes down on pay-per-view, and Trigg offered his prediction for the main event, which features Rich Franklin matching up with Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva. "I like both athletes. Wanderlei Silva is my favorite fighter of all-time, but I really like Rich Franklin," he said thoughtfully. "I like his attitude towards the fights. I like his dedication to learn how to be a better fighter every time. He's not one of those guys that talks about getting better. He goes out there and truly tries to become a better athlete every single time that he fights. I say Wanderlei Silva is still a little too much for Rich Franklin to handle. I do think it's going to get to the second round, but that Wanderlei is going to win, coming down the middle."

Victoria (Tara) on leaving WWE and joining TNA:
    A few people have asked me why I chose to go to TNA. Not nearly as many as have suggested that I go to TNA over the past couple years, but it has been been asked. Before I can answer that, I have to address why I left WWE. I left because I didn't enjoy my role, and I didn't see it changing. That, in addition to the brutal travel schedule, made it an easy choice for me to walk away and leave the opportunity available to one of the scores of female wrestlers who were anxiously awaiting their chance.

TNA approached me with the offer to come to their organization, work a less rigorous schedule, and more importantly, wrestle to the best of my ability with no limitations.

Several people have debated whether this will effect my chance at one day being elected into the WWE Hall of Fame. I am flattered at my name even being mentioned with such an honor. And whether or not you believe that I am worthy, I really don't think that WWE will hold it against me for doing other things after I left. I truly believe that I gave 100% every day with WWE, and that I went above and beyond what was expected of me. I think that if I am happy with my choices, then they are happy for me. Of course they took me off their website. They can't promote talent with another organization. But again, I'd like to think that on a personal level, they are happy for me.

The only serious considerations I had were 1) Would I still be able to train for MMA? 2) Do I miss wrestling and want to do it on a regular basis? 3) Can I entertain TNA fans in a way that they deserve to be entertained?

I believe so to all three. I still have time to dedicate to MMA. I definitely miss wrestling. And my goal is not only to be the best in a very tough Knockout division, but to elevate the performance of the entire division.

Thursday night on TNA Impact on SpikeTV I have my first match in about five months, and my first in a six sided ring. For those who haven't seen TNA recently, I think you should tune in. Because for those of you who do, you'll see a female wrestler in the best shape of her life, at the top of her game, beginning a new journey.

Buckle up, it's gonna be a bumpy ride...

Rjd2 wrote: »
    But he is a Smackdown Superstar!
    PW Insider have poured scorn on the f4 boys.He would be a massive loss though to Vince if he leaves.

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I'm no better than the copy and paste sites :pac: What Meltzer wrote was that Rey wasn't at tv (meaning the Smackdown tapings obviously) and that the word backstage at Raw with some wrestlers was that he had handed in his notice

That Trigg interview doesn't mention that he's rejoined the UFC. He might end up fighting Marcus Davis :pac:

• Advertisement

That Trigg interview doesn't mention that he's rejoined the UFC. He might end up fighting Marcus Davis :pac:

I don't know how... but i almost had that in my head as a Rey Mysterio/Marcus Davis fight! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement