Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPER TUESDAY! Budget discussion thread MERGED

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Let me say this: If smokes go up to a tenner a box, I will insist on smoking twice as much just to show the bastards. And I'll be 'importing' them via a Polish friend of mine in bulk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ruu wrote: »
    Cancer sticks up 25cents.

Aye. I hope those under 20s who are on the dole don't smoke as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I think he meant 25 cent increase, not %

I'm sure I heard him say 25%, but the RTE pop-up screen said 25c per pack of 20.

So, I'm not too sure which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i dono in work here we heard 2 different answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

great news i dont smoke.

put it up to 100e a packet so i can make some easy money off the muppets who still smoke by selling them counterfeit fags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The price of cigarettes will rise by 25 cent and diesel goes up five cent a litre. The increases are VAT inclusive.7 minutes ago from web

http://twitter.com/RTEBudget2009

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

This must be read from the bottom up - blame RTÉ

16:35: A Stamp Duty trading scheme will be introduced
    16:31: An Enterprise Stabilisation Fund will be set up to help protect jobs in troubled businesses.
    16:25: The Government plans to set up an asset management agency to take bad loans off the banks' balance sheets.
    16:23: Petrol and alcohol duties will not go up.
    16:22: The prices of cigarettes will rise by 25 cent and diesel goes up five cent a litre. The increases are VAT inclusive.
    16:22: The ceiling for employee PRSI will rise from €52,000 to €75,000.
    16:21: The income levy thresholds have been lowered, with the 2% rate kicking in at €15,000, 4% at €75,000 and 6% at €175,000.
    16:21: The income levy rates announced in last October's Budget will be doubled to 2%, 4% and 6%.
    16:19: DIRT will go up from 23% to 25%. The levy on non-life insurance premiums rise from 2% to 3%.
    16:17: Capital Gains Tax and Capital Acquisitions Tax will both rise from 22% to 25%.
    16:16: The Government will look at introducing a national infrastructure bond to raise money for capital projects.
    16:14: The minister announces that the early childcare supplement will be halved from 1 May, and scrapped altogether next year.
    16:13: The Commission on Taxation will decide on how to raise further money from taxing or means testing child benefit.
    16:12: The Christmas bonus will not be paid this year, while those under 20 will have their dole payments halved.
    16:11: There will be no increases in social welfare for the next couple of years, and rates may be reviewed later.
    16:10: There will be a new scheme to allow civil servants over the age of 50 to retire. The scheme will begin in May. Those retiring will not be replaced unless sanctioned by the Department of Finance.
    16:01: The minister has ordered a review of top-level public sector pay rates.
    16:00: The minister announces there will be a 10% cut in political expenses, while long-term payments to TDs will be abolished.
    15:59: Mr Lenihan says those with the most must pay the most.
    15:57: Mr Lenihan says that the Government now expects the economy to shrink by 8% this year, with consumer prices falling by 4%.
    15:55: The Finance Minister says that we became over-reliant on the construction industry.
    15:54: Mr Lenihan says that many of the factors that contributed to the economic boom are still in place and will help in the hoped-for recovery.
    15:53: Brian Lenihan begins delivering his speech.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Merging threads in here for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

has ones shops implamented the laws yet ?? my local one does it before their even effective :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sounds tough alright, and thats only the beginning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Im almost certain he said the excise duty on them would rise by 25 percent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

No rise in booze....yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Did he not mention VAT or did I miss it???

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

What next?

A solicitor may set our country's financial budget?

Or perhaps an obese woman will be in charge of the health service?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

On the last word on todayfm they arn't sure if its 25c or 25% on cigs either.

everyone split over the fags..

i heard but 25% but it does make more sense for it to be 25cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm pretty sure it's 25cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Really can't see it being 25%. If he said it it was pobably just a slip of the tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nothing on booze then? yeah?

At least that's one good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its 25c per pack of 20.

Its here

It comes into affect tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Booze will stay the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

banquo wrote: »
    Booze will stay the same.

Delicious and comforting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mosquito09

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of help here if possible, bit confused.

They say there halfing dole payments for people under 20.My situation is this, I only applied for Jobseekers Allowance last week and I'm currently 19 but Im 20 next month. I take it for the next 4 weeks my backed up payment will be 100 euro a week and then once I hit 20 it'll be 200 a week and then once I collect my payment every week it will be 200 as Ill be 20 by then?

If that is correct Im a bit lucky as I would have expected them to say under 21s. Still a little nervous and confused so hopefully the above situation is correct. Any help greatly appreciated.

Mosquito09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for a bit of help here if possible, bit confused.

They say there halfing dole payments for people under 20.My situation is this, I only applied for Jobseekers Allowance last week and I'm currently 19 but Im 20 next month. I take it for the next 4 weeks my backed up payment will be 100 euro a week and then once I hit 20 it'll be 200 a week and then once I collect my payment every week it will be 200 as Ill be 20 by then?

If that is correct Im a bit lucky as I would have expected them to say under 21s. Still a little nervous and confused so hopefully the above situation is correct. Any help greatly appreciated.
    No, the dole is set from what you sign on at meaning you'll be at the half rate..

Tough break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mosquito09

:(

You serious mate? Even though I havent even been told Im getting it, just handed in an application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

I think the government are doing a very good job while being under some very intense and unfair pressure from certain areas. We all must bear some responsibility for the financial crisis, and I think the government are showing great leadership and determination in todays budget. I think if we just place some faith in Brian Cowen and his esteemed cabinet, we will see a quick end to this recession that we have all helped cause. 10/10 budjet from me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ben bedlam wrote: »
    I think the government are doing a very good job while being under some very intense and unfair pressure from certain areas. We all must bear some responsibility for the financial crisis, and I think the government are showing great leadership and determination in todays budget. I think if we just place some faith in Brian Cowen and his esteemed cabinet, we will see a quick end to this recession that we have all helped cause. 10/10 budjet from me.

You forgot the smileys so we knew you were having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mosquito09 wrote: »
    :(

You serious mate? Even though I havent even been told Im getting it, just handed in an application?

Ring social welfare. I'm sure there is a way to get reassessed for changed circumstances from when you first signed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

No, not a good budget. It was softened to save there seats. We will be back in the same mess within six months.

Just dragging it out even more now, unreal.

Advertisement