Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPER TUESDAY! Budget discussion thread MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Is VAT being reduced???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????//

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

engrish? wrote: »
    Is VAT being reduced???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????//

Nope.

Is Dole being halved for under 20s isn't actually a bad idea.

The thing that annoys me, is when the country is up and running again and everything is hunky dorey, not one of these changes will be undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Great to hear all the Health and Public Service reforms that will save us billions. Fair play to FF and their leadership.

or did i just have a sci-fi alternative reality moment...sigh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Great to hear all the Health and Public Service reforms that will save us billions. Fair play to FF and their leadership.

Simple Public Sector reforms would include working a 39 hour week, reducing the time in lieu shenanighans, and looking at expenses.

I have heard stories about expenses which would make yer had boil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Good budget.

+1

Not everyone needs the child benefit, means testing saves money. If you need it you'll get it; if you're on e75,000* - and a lot of people make upwards of that - then you just don't need it.

Of course, we'll have to see just how means-tested it is...

Tax: an extra 7e a month for those on min wage doesn't break the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mosquito09

thebman wrote: »
    Ring social welfare. I'm sure there is a way to get reassessed for changed circumstances from when you first signed on.

Will do that tomorrow mate, although I have no idea what I'm going to say.

Does this all come into affect on May 1st? If so would be becoming 20 on that date help me in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

engrish? wrote: »

That is a massive mistake on their part not reducing vat.

They even said themselves it was a mistake to increase it.

Ridiculous decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Anything about college fee's? Can't believe the dole hasn't been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

banquo wrote: »
    +1

Not everyone needs the child benefit, means testing saves money. If you need it you'll get it; if you're on e75,000* - and a lot of people make upwards of that - then you just don't need it.

correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to apply for childrens allowance rather than its just handed to you. So I very much doubt you'll find people earning 75,000 going into their local social welfare office to apply for it. Its there for the people that need it and this is just another case of FF going after the weak in society.

What about the top earners? I'm sure they can afford to pay more than 3%

What about the Irish tax exiles? Is there not a way to close off loopholes to allow them to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

RonMexico wrote: »
    Anything about college fee's? Can't believe the dole hasn't been cut.

No college fees, rent supplement is being reduced (no figures on amount so could be heavily reduce). Dole halved for under 20's and Xmas bonus gone.

I think welfare was cut a fair bit actually depending on how hard they hit rent supplement.
    Mosquito09 wrote: »

Does this all come into affect on May 1st? If so would be becoming 20 on that date help me in any way?

Don't know, I don't think welfare will have any answers tomorrow. They might only find out on the day they come into effect.

You can ring them and check do they know anything or ask when they think they'll find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

seriously - this budget isn't as shocking as they all made it out to be.
    A lot of panic for nothing, in my eyes. It could have been A LOT worse.

Mosquito09 wrote: »

man i was only jokin bout the dole thing :P when you're 20 , you'll get full dole

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

galah wrote: »

Oh don't worry.
    If this one didn't shock you the one in Dec and 2011/2012 will.
    Basically they've bottled it in this budget to safeguard their seats in the next election.
    Ask any economist and they will all say the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

seriously - this budget isn't as shocking as they all made it out to be. A lot of panic for nothing, in my eyes. It could have been A LOT worse.

I don't know about you but the Budget is a serious dent for me and I am not even considered "Rich" by the budget standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I won't deny that or even argue - but this budget seems rather tame to me in the light of all the hype that preceded it...

we're definitely not affected badly - middle income, no kids, no mortgage, non-smokers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Taking into account the pay cut Im taking from next month and including the 2 levy and the loss of the ECP its hitting me f*ckin hard and god knows what way they intend to means test the child benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Total cop-out by the government, they are trying to minimise the damage at the next general election but the electorate (hopefully!) will see this budget as a missed opportunity (another one).

We were ready to accept more pain (even the public servants?) but no go - I do not expect a good reaction from overseas / the IMF.

Of course it will be interesting to see if FG get in will they have the stomach to do the required hatchet job as regards public spending? Their job will just get tougher and tougher the longer this present crowd remains in power. I'm not a FG-supporter per se but jaysus we need some fresh ideas pronto or we are totally screwed!

I am doubly pi**ed off as I am a middle income earner in the private sector with kids so I will be feeling the pain but not so for a lot of others who have done very well for themselves the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mosquito09

man i was only jokin bout the dole thing :P when you're 20 , you'll get full dole

Not sure if your joking now or not!!

If you were actually joking before then in the words of Henry Hill:

'Why would you do that!!??'

• Advertisement

We needed a harsher budget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Redpunto wrote: »
    the loss of the ECP its hitting me f*ckin hard and god knows what way they intend to means test the child benefit.

If someone chooses to have children why can't they pay for them themselves:confused: I don't see why the taxpayer should have to pay for everything. People who need the childrens allowance will still get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Total cop-out by the government, they are trying to minimise the damage at the next general election but the electorate (hopefully!) will see this budget as a missed opportunity (another one).

Not even that far. It's a cop-out by FF to try and salvage total melt-down at the Local elections. If they did what they HAD to do today, they would have been savaged at the locals.

The next budget will be a lot, lot worse......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

No, not a good budget. It was softened to save there seats. We will be back in the same mess within six months.

Just dragging it out even more now, unreal.

Well, it was a good strategy on their part, but I doubt they will save many seats... They are on the way out, and good riddance to them. If they are more worried about their own seats in government than our country, then fcuk the lot of them. Why not give a tougher budget and save the country? Instead of this rubbish... Then fcuk us over in 8 months time? Hell no...
    banquo wrote: »
    +1

Tax: an extra 7e a month for those on min wage doesn't break the bank.

You are right, 7 euro a month won't break the bank, but someone on 220K a year only loses about 10-12K? Should be higher than that.

Not everyone under 20 on social welfare has mammy and daddy to look after them, once struggling on 200 a week, how the hell can anyone survive on 100 a week? They cannot, you will see more people living on the streets, I can guarantee you that.
    Hobbes wrote: »
    I don't know about you but the Budget is a serious dent for me and I am not even considered "Rich" by the budget standards.

Exactly, people with not so much money are really getting screwed over. Middle wage bracket families really got a kick in the nuts. I never understood how someone making so much money could get away with it.

Oh and what about those in power? You will see that they will enjoy their life just the same as last week. All ministers should take a 15-20% pay cut, no bonuses for the next 2 years and make serious cuts in state expenditure, you know, the helicopter rides and what not...
    I won't deny that or even argue - but this budget seems rather tame to me in the light of all the hype that preceded it...

we're definitely not affected badly - middle income, no kids, no mortgage, non-smokers...

A lot of people escaped the budget, people on social welfare could have taken a cut. If only 20 euro.

There are some things I disagree with. 2% levy on 17K? My good God, that is a dismal amount to live on, and they get penalised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why not give a tougher budget and save the country? Instead of this rubbish... Then fcuk us over in 8 months time? Hell no...

FF's raison-d'etre is to stay in power........It's party over country.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

You are right, 7 euro a month won't break the bank, but someone on 220K a year only loses about 10-12K? Should be higher than that.

Ah here, that loss of 10-12k is in addition to what they are already paying.
    If their take home pay is €140,000 p.a., it amounts to about a 9% reduction in their take home pay. That's quite a chunk and a reduction in living standards.
    I think if they had pushed for more, they would be gone within a month. They'll target these higher earners again in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

sunnyside wrote: »
    If someone chooses to have children why can't they pay for them themselves

Most people with Children are also taxpayers. So you basically getting some of your money you put in back. Also it is the children in the future who will be funding the social to pay for your pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

ben bedlam wrote: »
    I think the government are doing a very good job while being under some very intense and unfair pressure from certain areas. We all must bear some responsibility for the financial crisis, and I think the government are showing great leadership and determination in todays budget. I think if we just place some faith in Brian Cowen and his esteemed cabinet, we will see a quick end to this recession that we have all helped cause. 10/10 budjet from me.

An excellent budget indeed. I am no expert on economics and I don't consider myself qualified to say how a government should run a country. I'm am just a director of a small company. But there are a few points that I am inclined to make.

I see nothing in the cuts in public expenditure that abolishes the vast range of quangos.

The tax on diesel fuel is to rise. I seem to recall that most HGVs have diesel engines (or has Gormley had them all converted to wind power?). That will surely please the haulage industry and increase prices in the shops since (I assure you Mr. Lenihan) their stocks are normally delivered by lorries.

The tax on tobacco products is increased to pursuade everyone to go across national borders to buy them, as the UK government found out long, long ago.

DIRT tax is to be increased (what an apt name) to dissuade anyone from investing in savings accounts.

Columnists and economists have repeatedly said of late in the wind up to this budget that no country in history ever climbed out of recession by increasing taxes. Our lawyer finance minister knows better than that of course, and so I have to believe he is right when everyone else is going in the opposite direction.

The government is to be reduced by twenty juniour ministers, fifteen of whom will be re-employed tomorrow. This is hailed as a political masterstroke by Brian Cowen. Or is it possibly an insult to the intelligence of the average fourteen year old? To my simple mind it's like the endless ads that tell me the price of every product I might buy ends in €0.99.

Any strategy that reduces or appears to reduce the spending power of the population will result in a lower tax take for the government. If you take money out of Joe Public's pocket Mr. Lenihan, while it might come as a surprise to you, he will spend less of it on something else. In that case you can increase VAT and everything else to your heart's content,but you will receive no extra revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Lovely jovely, so I'm still paying for yummy mummy's kids when she has the 100K Range Rover to drop them off to school every morning, that should have been cut for a start...

Talk about a f*cking cop out, they may as well not have had a budget at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

sunnyside wrote: »
    If someone chooses to have children why can't they pay for them themselves:confused: I don't see why the taxpayer should have to pay for everything. People who need the childrens allowance will still get it.

it'll be those children who will be paying for your pension so you want to treat them well so they have enough food, shelter and education.

Advertisement