Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPER TUESDAY! Budget discussion thread MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

congo_90 wrote: »
    Rather the lower is supporting the upper? I'm on minimum wage but paying the same rates.
    Seems the rich only get richer in this country and the hard working "blue collar" man is put down. Depending on how they hit the income tax etc i'll have to take my car off the road which isn't a flash 06 etc.

*not attacking you personally, Saint_Mel*

People on min wage pay a maximum tax rate of 5% (i.e. PRSI 4% plus income levy 1%). No income tax. So are you exaggerating or are you misled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i can see the news today "99.998 % drop in people paying taxes... "

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

ahhh well lads ye are all very serious....lighted up we aint living in gaza or liberia.

Can i tell ye something......ff are here to stay for another 3 years....full term and there is nothing any of the key board generals on here can do about it.

For those of ye that i have annoyed....it doesnt bother me one bit i vote fianna fail for loads of reasons, but as can be seen from the posts on this board a fair and reasoned debate is not possible. as far as i can see you can express any opinion on this board as long as you agree with eveyone else.

As for the people talking about revolution and assinations, ye are a danergous lot, probably labour voters who dont have a clue how to run a country.....cause thats all ye know....guns and bombs and assinations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cork4ever wrote: »
    ...As for the people talking about revolution and assinations, ye are a danergous lot, probably labour voters who dont have a clue how to run a country.....cause thats all ye know....guns and bombs and assinations
    LOL I'm sorry... but thats just funny... LOL :pac:

Fair play to you for sticking to your guns (oops - no pun intended!).
    I might/do disagree but fair play to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ahhh well lads ye are all very serious....lighted up we aint living in gaza or liberia.

Can i tell ye something......ff are here to stay for another 3 years....full term and there is nothing any of the key board generals on here can do about it.

For those of ye that i have annoyed....it doesnt bother me one bit i vote fianna fail for loads of reasons, but as can be seen from the posts on this board a fair and reasoned debate is not possible. as far as i can see you can express any opinion on this board as long as you agree with eveyone else.

As for the people talking about revolution and assinations, ye are a danergous lot, probably labour voters who dont have a clue how to run a country.....cause thats all ye know....guns and bombs and assinations
    Careful now.

Has anyone thought of mentioning the old gambling tax?
    There used to be a 10% tax on bets in bookies. Why not bring that back? I'm sure it would generate quite a bit of revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

This post has been deleted.

Lenihan has already basically said drink won't be increased due to the number going up North, so increase it and more will go up North, probably be the same with smokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

You have balls coming on defending FF - I will give you that. Labour are a bunch of worthless pussys as are the lot of em - you should really criticise all inc FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Biggins wrote: »
    O' please, lets just us all hold our breaths for five/ten years.
    The EU by then will be running things direct for us anyway! :(

wow, missing the point and EU paranoia all in one post, stunning.

wow, missing the point and EU paranoia all in one post, stunning.
    :D Well if I'm going to frak up - I might as well do a good job of it! :D

Naa - I got your (good) point and aye, lots of knockers but few offering alternatives!
    I'm honestly looking for good alternatives myself. I'm still scratching my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Third Level fees will definitely be coming in, only question is how badly we'll be hit. Will we be paying the full EU rate? Will people going into college in 2009 have to pay? Will it be a yearly amount of a graduate tax? I'll be on the edge of my seat :(

• Advertisement

I think this will be the most watched budget in such a long time.
    I wonder if we will get mention at any stage of possible viewing figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Terry wrote: »
    There used to be a 10% tax on bets in bookies. Why not bring that back? I'm sure it would generate quite a bit of revenue.

I bet you 20 quid that they won't.

Terry wrote: »
    The Saint wrote: »
    I bet you 20 quid that they won't.

Can I do an each way bet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Biggins wrote: »
    Can I do an each way bet? :D

No worries but you'll have to give me 10% of your winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Galmay

I have come to the conclusion that we can no longer blame FF for our woes, nor does it make one iota of difference if we do. FF have been the same bunch of feckless eejits for many years now, all of a sudden to expect them to act decisively in the national interest is quite frankly asking too much.

What we really need to do is get rid of the source of this problem, ie those who support and continually vote for FF. These are quite evidently dangerous people, bent on the destruction of our country.

While it is probably against UN and international laws to take said people out back and shoot them, it is probably more humane and PC to have them deported. Perhaps America will take some in exchange for some gauntanamo bay prisoners...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I think we should just execute them instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Galmay wrote: »

While it is probably against UN and international laws to take said people out back and shoot them, it is probably more humane and PC to have them deported. Perhaps America will take some in exchange for some gauntanamo bay prisoners...

we could pretend there mindless zombie's :)....

Which in away could be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I have come to the conclusion that we can no longer blame FF for our woes, nor does it make one iota of difference if we do. FF have been the same bunch of feckless eejits for many years now, all of a sudden to expect them to act decisively in the national interest is quite frankly asking too much.

What we really need to do is get rid of the source of this problem, ie those who support and continually vote for FF. These are quite evidently dangerous people, bent on the destruction of our country.

Treat them like foriegn nationals you mean?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wouldn't it be much simpler to undo the FF actions: get rid of all extra the public servants we got in the last 10 years and cut back social welfare benefits to match our tax revenues? Doesn't seem logical to shoot more taxpayers - wait ... this isn't the economics or politics forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Cut half the public service seeing as the are of the collective opinion that anyone can live on 10 grand a year. Tax the 45k plus bracket 50% harsh but fair IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well i voted for them and i will vote Fianna Fail again as have my family done for generations.

That is actually scary to be honest. You'll win a Darwin award if you keep acting without thinking properly about what your doing.
    The country did elect them 3 times on the trot and personally i don't think Fine Gael and Labour will get us out of this hole, they would spend 6 months trying to find where t he pens are if we put them into Goverment now, So what would or could a change in leadership achieve now, they are still stuck with the glabal resession, or would the Enda change all that.....!!!!!!!

How do you know? Do you know anything about their policies or are you just fond of repeating what you hear elsewhere and assuming they've thought it through? You can't spell Government, Global or Recession just so you know. Not a spelling Nazi or anything but it isn't like the spelling of these words is hard to find. Just check any newspaper at the moment or use the spell check feature.
    Finally i think the mods on this board should ban anyone who threatens the life of another person not to mind anyone who wants to assinate a duly elected memeber of parliment.

Shouldn't threaten to kill someone like FF did you mean? Might want to read up on what the party you vote for says to people trying to warn them of problems with our economy.

I just wish we could ban those people running for government.

Ah yeah, sure it'll be grand, what are we all worrying about? We shouldn't think about politics or our economy, it'll sort itself out as long as we vote for the same people our parents did without thinking it through.

You haven't actually written any points that can be debated other than you don't think about who you vote for. I don't see how you can blame other posters for that. You can express almost any opinion you like on here whether other people agree with your not is irrelevant as long as you follow the rules of the forum. You might want to take a little advice about reading up on the parties and making an informed decision on who you vote for in my opinion.

So far we only know you do it because your family said so. Now you have other reasons. What are they? You can't say we won't debate when you have not even tried. So far all you've said appears to be what your parents told you.

Please read this again, it is an ignorant statement not backed up with anything. Who in Labour is calling for violent revolution and assassinations?

How can anyone debate with you at the moment with your extreme views of the other political parties and illogical decision making process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

We are a rich country. The problem is some have robbed us blind over the past ten years - benchmarking, top management bonuses, share options, big pensions, loans without proper colatterel (mortgages and developers), commission based selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I don't like multi-quote posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Well lads,
    All i can say, is don't blame me, I didn't vote Fianna Failure in this time around!

You may now proceed to cry in your beer, don't feel bad, you paid extra for it last year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Can you hear it ??

Off in the distance ......

You can hear the faint sounds of a banjo pickin'.

Happy Budget Day Everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

thebman wrote: »
    That is actually scary to be honest. You'll win a Darwin award if you keep acting without thinking properly about what your doing.

How do you know? Do you know anything about their policies or are you just fond of repeating what you hear elsewhere and assuming they've thought it through? You can't spell Government, Global or Recession just so you know. Not a spelling Nazi or anything but it isn't like the spelling of these words is hard to find. Just check any newspaper at the moment or use the spell check feature.

Shouldn't threaten to kill someone like FF did you mean? Might want to read up on what the party you vote for says to people trying to warn them of problems with our economy.

I just wish we could ban those people running for government.

Ah yeah, sure it'll be grand, what are we all worrying about? We shouldn't think about politics or our economy, it'll sort itself out as long as we vote for the same people our parents did without thinking it through.

You haven't actually written any points that can be debated other than you don't think about who you vote for. I don't see how you can blame other posters for that. You can express almost any opinion you like on here whether other people agree with your not is irrelevant as long as you follow the rules of the forum. You might want to take a little advice about reading up on the parties and making an informed decision on who you vote for in my opinion.

So far we only know you do it because your family said so. Now you have other reasons. What are they? You can't say we won't debate when you have not even tried. So far all you've said appears to be what your parents told you.

Please read this again, it is an ignorant statement not backed up with anything. Who in Labour is calling for violent revolution and assassinations?

How can anyone debate with you at the moment with your extreme views of the other political parties and illogical decision making process?

ahhh calm down will ya, your are getting all worked up and it has no where to go, don;t worry be happy we are in power for another 3 years....enjoy it, live for the moment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Exactly, we deserve to be in this position. I would rather have cut my right arm off than voted for FF in the last election yet a huge amount of sheep went out and voted these clowns back in, hope they realise now what they did, because it they dont they are nothing short of traitors imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

ahhh calm down will ya, your are getting all worked up and it has no where to go, don;t worry be happy we are in power for another 3 years....enjoy it, live for the moment....

What's the "we" business, paleface? You ain't in power of sh*t, and when Fianna Failure finish making a complete shambles of the economy and take you with it, i'll be sure to laugh. :)

I can't believe i wasted my 7,777th post on this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Keitel

People just don't get it. There are huge loyalties in Irish politics.Our Parents Generation are firmly stuck to one party.My own immediate family are staunch FF supporters and have been all their lives.
    They would rather see the Country go up in flames than vote FG or Labour.
    The reason being that their parents (my grandparents) were all involved in the war of independance (being from Munster) when the political divide at the time meant not speaking to a neighbour or avoiding early mass of a sunday incase you saw your local blueshirt milkman.

FF will ALWAYS have massive support in Ireland no matter what.
    Frotunately for me, my Parents provided me with a good education so i can think for myself and decide who i want to vote for based on merit.

Advertisement