Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPER TUESDAY! Budget discussion thread MERGED

Options
  • 06-04-2009 2:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Get ready, as a nation, to collectively bend over and take it up the backside from those who created this mess.

Who will be sorest after 4:30PM tomorrow?

My own view is that the middle people will be hit again as usual - that includes me and the majority. There will be some form of income levy. A bad bank will be created and the old inflamable reliables (smokes, alcohol and petrol) will be hit. VAT may be reduced slightly. I expect social welfare to be cut in certain places and that a supprise is in store for our over worked and under paid, salt of the earth, public servants.

So any news on the grape vine as to what may happen? What do you think should happen?

Do you trust this man?

BTW could even just one of the tools that voted this shower of gangsters back in - come in and defend that decision (oh wait no one ever admits it!) - come on we won't bite;) (Not saying the alternatives are any better but anyway...)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I doubt myself nor many others would have such a problem paying more taxes if we weren't all completely convinced that it would, as usual, be completely mismanaged.

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Brian Cowen is a squirming sack of ****e. I wouldn't mind if he had some kind of charm while he was pissing Ireland up a tree, but just to look at him is depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Sure how could we let someone from Offaly run the country.
    It's not like Offaly is a shining example that the rest of the counties should follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they can show me that the politicians and "fat cats" (particularly B Ahern) really feel the pinch, then I'm willing to pay a bit more tax/take a pay cut. No way in hell I'm going to pay through my nose while they sit drinking subsidised pints in the Dáil during work hours.

TD salaries must drop below 60K and adjust their pensions to a normal level. They must also not be able to have more than one job. If you're a politician you should not be allowed to simultaneously sit on company boards or similar or receive any other income at all.

This is a bit more like it:
    GERMANY — Deutsche Bank AG, Germany's biggest lender, said Tuesday that the pay for Chief Executive Josef Ackermann fell 90 percent in 2008 — from €14 million to €1.9 million — as he and the company's four other top managers refused bonuses in light of the bank's losses and public anger.

SWEDEN — Bonuses have caused outrage in Sweden, which prides itself on an egalitarian society, and big companies like truck maker Volvo and the SEB bank have been forced to withdraw compensation schemes for top executives.

SWITZERLAND: UBS AG, which received a $60 billion government bailout, said in November that its chief executive, chairman and executive board will receive no bonuses for 2008. Several former top officials have declined or handed back million-dollar payments. But the says it will pay 2.2 billion francs (about $2 billion) in bonuses to lower-ranked staff.***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I'm a public servant ...

*runs to find lube*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

As usual the people in the middle will end up supporting the lower and upper class

i'm getting raped by fianna fail so much, i feel like i'm locked in a basement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I hear astroglide is a much better lubricant than KY jelly. Should prob look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

darkman2 wrote: »

How tempting is that for a "UR MA" joke?:pac:

If drink doesn't go up and college fees aren't introduced until 2010 students, I'll be happy, if either of them happens, anarchy on the streets of Dublin.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

If drink doesn't go up and college fees aren't introduced until 2010 students, I'll be happy, if either of them happens, anarchy on the streets of Dublin.:cool:

RE College Fees, it's such an easy target. Not targetting those who are already in college, just the poor LC-ers, many of whom can't vote yet...
    Wouldn't exactly be easy to organise a protest of LC students like it is with 3rd level students either.

Lube at the ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

It would make things so much easier and if we knew where the money was going and how it is going to improve things but everyone knows ,even the government, that this money will be pissed away.

You can feel the panic in this budget, they have no confidence in what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

if fees are to be introduced in september, they will ahve to be announced in tomorrows budget? im assuming that is the situation? anyone care to correct me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

It would make things so much easier and if we knew where the money was going and how it is going to improve things but everyone knows ,even the government, that this money will be pissed away.

You can feel the panic in this budget, they have no confidence in what they are doing.

For me this is exactly the point - Its getting increasingly obvious that if they somehow managed to quadruple the fcuking tax take it would still be squandered idiotically hand over fist on general mismanaged stupidity, corruption, passing it to their friends, relatives and favourite builder/banker or miscellaneous w@nker......

- Riots and civil unrest from tomorrow at 4.30pm? I say bring out the Guillotines; lets wash the streets!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I dunno, I'm thinking of having a newsfree day(I try and have at least one of these a week and no news over the weekend), maybe just going to listen to some music. I mean what's the point in depressing yourself your gonna be fcuked anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I would assasinate Brian Cowen tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

You guys are all looking at the negative side of this - just think of all the good Cowen and Co. are going to do with this money.
    Think of all the improvements in the health system, public transport, new jobs being created!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

K4t wrote: »
    I would assasinate Brian Cowen tbh.

I throw my shoes at him then, Id watch him charge at me :D only to move out of the way a second before he got to me for him to hit a brick wall at high speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Raiser wrote: »
    Riots and civil unrest from tomorrow at 4.30pm?

You know and I know that no matter what they do tomorrow there will be now civil unrest. We're all just lazy complacent ****s and they know that too.
    Unless of course the cut 2 Euro of the dole. </sarcasm> Or banish drink.

Anyway, what do you think it would actually take to get people out on the streets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

Get ready, as a nation, to collectively bend over and take it up the backside from those who created this mess.

My own view is that the middle people will be hit again as usual - that includes me and the majority. There will be some form of income levy. A bad bank will be created and the old inflamable reliables (smokes, alcohol and petrol) will be hit. VAT may be reduced slightly. I expect social welfare to be cut in certain places and that a supprise is in store for our over worked and under paid, salt of the earth, public servants.

Smokes won't be hit, lenihan already admitted hiking VAT last October was a mistake (forcing people north), raising smokes would force even more people to head north for them.

Social welfare, I'd say the only benefit to get hit will be child benefit and early childcare allowance. If the others are cut it will probably only be 3% on the current rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

if you are poor,sick,disabled or dying you will feel the wrath of the Fianna Fail machine tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

I think they should actually reduce the price of cigarettes, (I don't even smoke myself) , but 1/4 of all cigarettes come from the black market or north now so, reducing the price of them would probably result in more revenue for the government from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As for the auld lube, they'll probabaly have 1000% vat on that by this time tomorrow. We're going to have to take the rough with the rough. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

patmac wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm thinking of having a newsfree day(I try and have at least one of these a week and no news over the weekend), maybe just going to listen to some music. I mean what's the point in depressing yourself your gonna be fcuked anyway.

+1
    My thoughts exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Cork4ever

Well i voted for them and i will vote Fianna Fail again as have my family done for generations.

At the end of the day the country is in a state and like or not we have all contributed to it, sure the goverment have had a huge part to play in the problems but i think everyone will have to admit that we all had a part in it be it small or big.

The country did elect them 3 times on the trot and personally i don't think Fine Gael and Labour will get us out of this hole, they would spend 6 months trying to find where t he pens are if we put them into Goverment now, So what would or could a change in leadership achieve now, they are still stuck with the glabal resession, or would the Enda change all that.....!!!!!!!

Finally i think the mods on this board should ban anyone who threatens the life of another person not to mind anyone who wants to assinate a duly elected memeber of parliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Do you trust this man?
    I don't and never did. Not him nor anyone else who has been part of the gravy train over so many years.
    BTW could even just one of the tools that voted this shower of gangsters back in - come in and defend that decision (oh wait no one ever admits it!) - come on we won't bite;) (Not saying the alternatives are any better but anyway...)
    That's the funny bit. NOBODY elected him to become Taoiseach. He inherited the job from the other scumbag.

I want to vote directly on who runs this country!!!!

This voting by "club affiliation" is f#@*ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cork4ever wrote: »
    Well i voted for them and i will vote Fianna Fail again as have my family done for generations.

At the end of the day the country is in a state and like or not we have all contributed to it, sure the goverment have had a huge part to play in the problems but i think everyone will have to admit that we all had a part in it be it small or big.

The country did elect them 3 times on the trot and personally i don't think Fine Gael and Labour will get us out of this hole, they would spend 6 months trying to find where t he pens are if we put them into Goverment now, So what would or could a change in leadership achieve now, they are still stuck with the glabal resession, or would the Enda change all that.....!!!!!!!

Finally i think the mods on this board should ban anyone who threatens the life of another person not to mind anyone who wants to assinate a duly elected memeber of parliment.

That's because FF stole all of the pens along with everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Adding to my previous comment, I would assasinate all of your kind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Wonder what the threesome (Cowen, Coughlan, Lenihan) has in store for us...

BTW any chance we could cut down on the sexual innuendo in this thread? Bizarre. Brian's been through enough these last few weeks;) I feel sorry for FF somethimes in a comical sort of way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

As much a I have no faith in our government I have even less in their rivals. Fine Gail offer nothing but smugness like 'we wouldnt have caused this' and give no insight as to what they would do to fix things.

Both are as bad as each other. It's a terrible boxed in feeling i have when i think of a better government, theres nowhere to turn as they are all tumbling, tumbling idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Well don't you just bleed green. Fair enough the opposition might spend 6 months trying to find the stationary closet but Fianna Fail have had more or less 80 years with their snouts in the trough and they don't seme to have achieved much more than that. It'd be a good day when Fianna Fail are elected for something other than being only marginally less useless than the other shower of useless tossers.

As for the Cowen assassination exclaimations, I agree. Death is too quick and dignified. I think instead he should be put in the stocks and left on O'Connell Street for people to throw rotten fruit at until the recession subsides.

Advertisement