Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Mods getting free entry to €3,500 Irish Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

5starpool wrote: »
    I spose it's time to stop the lulz now.

I'd like to thank the participants:

1. The poker posters - in on it. Overenthuastic as times, but added a sense of outrage at times.
    2. Des, Boston and the other outragees not in on it. Made it worthwhile.
    3. nicnicnic - starting drama comedy feedback threads seems to be his forte.
    4. BigCityBanker - adding us to the PPP site as our boards name was a good touch.
    5. smods - a bit of a relevel

you forgot to thank Boards. for being such tool

MooseJam wrote: »
    how come those profiles don't list loses, that would be more interesting

why would they do that? Its not F*cking weightwatchers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

5starpool wrote: »
    I spose it's time to stop the lulz now.

I'd like to thank the participants:

1. The poker posters - in on it. Overenthuastic as times, but added a sense of outrage at times.
    2. Des, Boston and the other outragees not in on it. Made it worthwhile.
    3. nicnicnic - starting drama comedy feedback threads seems to be his forte.
    4. BigCityBanker - adding us to the PPP site as our boards name was a good touch.
    5. smods - a bit of a relevel
    To be honest I don't believe you for one second. I've heard rumours, not just today, but over the past few weeks that such a thing was happening. I fully think that Nicky posted this as an "Aprils Fools" thinking noone would take it seriously so he could come back a few weeks later and say "Told you so!".

Stop trying to make a pathetic attempt to cover this up with the most unlikely of excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

WP all.

Well... Not all... But some.

WP some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

KevIRL wrote: »
    why would they do that? Its not F*cking weightwatchers

Well looking at those profiles you might get the impression the player was good because he won a couple of tournies however if it also listed his 500 loses you would get the real story.

The profiles are worthless because they only list wins, no information at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well looking at those profiles you might get the impression the player was good because he won a couple of tournies however if it also listed his 500 loses you would get the real story.

By Jove, I think he's right!! :eek:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    By Jove, I think he's right!! :eek:

I know, I never thought of it that way.

Any tips for me to cope with retirement LL?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Yeah...because i cant tell if these guys are any good or not :rolleyes:

Phil Ivey
    Allen Cunningham
    Eric Seidel

Flushdraw wrote: »
    Yeah...because i cant tell if these guys are any good or not :rolleyes:

Phil Ivey
    Allen Cunningham
    Eric Seidel

Thats not a good point, people who are top of the game are well known already, you wouldn't be checking out their profile to see how good they are, it's the lesser known people you would be checking out and there is no way of knowing if they are good or bad if their loses aren't listed.

I'm right on this point, it's not rocket science

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thats not a good point, people who are top of the game are well known already, you wouldn't be checking out their profile to see how good they are, it's the lesser known people you would be checking out and there is no way of knowing if they are good or bad if their loses aren't listed.

Obviously the ordinary poker player is not a successful millionaire poker player, and those profiles are only for one form of poker, tournaments. If there are a few results that show success in some decent events it shows that there is the potential for that person to have a big score. In and of itself it tells you relatively little, but it can be very indicitive.

One of the greatest holdem players ever, Stu Ungar, was constantly broke and a huge loser in gambling in general and there are other poker players that lose their money in other degenerative ways, but if they are looking for a stake due to general brokedness then having a profile they can point to where it shows there is potential for return in a decent event is a very good thing to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Will you come visit the poker forum,pretty please?

Yes, you are 100% correct. But this isn't something that regular players are unaware of. The Hendon mob database is simply an indication of what type of experience someone has, and whether they have been playing / doing well recently. Assuming you are around the scene a lot, you'll have a rough idea of the frequency with which Irish players are playing and be able to make a guesstimate of how profitable they are. But ultimately, only the individual will actually be certain of whether they are winning player or not - and to what degree.

Also, the HMD doesn't list most tournaments and events. Takes no account of live cash games - and is oblivious to online play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des wrote: »
    I really hope this is some kind of April Fools joke, I really do....

As I said, if this is some kind of piss take gone horribly wrong I'll hold my hands up and be embarrassed about this post.

holding my hands up, as promised.

:o

thumbnail_hook-line-sinker.gif

I can not believe I fell for it.

Well played guys.

Well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

zuutroy wrote: »
    [X] understands what he's talking about

[ ] lazy rhetoric
    Fixed. Poker is nothing more than a game of luck. Winning at poker is just like winning the lottery, only you've less contestants, better odds and the tickets are more expensive. It's a game that requires little to no skill, and anyone who says otherwise has obviously watched a little too much James Bond or is trying to fool themselves that they're a some kind of a skilled sportsman when in fact they're just a plain old gambling addict.

I'm an expert poker player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ass wrote: »
    I'm also pretty skilful at playing paper scissors rock.

heads up for rollz yo

Fixed. Poker is nothing more than a game of luck. Winning at poker is just like winning the lottery, only you've less contestants, better odds and the tickets are more expensive. It's a game that requires little to no skill, and anyone who says otherwise has obviously watched a little too much James Bond or is trying to fool themselves that they're a some kind of a skilled sportsman when in fact they're just a plain old gambling addict.

WP, you've found us out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

leatherass.jpg

Impressive to be consistantly luck over 3/4 of a million hands wouldnt you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

leatherass.jpg

Well done Zuutroy, I knew you'd get out of that downswing eventually.

ty.....it was tough but I got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Des wrote: »
    holding my hands up, as promised.

thumbnail_hook-line-sinker.gif

I can not believe I fell for it.

Well played guys.

Well played.

So this whole thread was a joke?

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »

Yup.

Sadly. I'd like to receive bribes, but they are too miserly to give us any.

I must admit to having received 3x$10 satellite tokens from PPP though because of modly stuff. Mea culpa.

20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

leatherass.jpg

Two words for you son, "counting cards". Also, how about a proper source. That graph is laughable at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Oops? I kinda reported someone, sorry if you got banned...

Made for an interesting read while my camembret was cooking... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lol, best April fools of the day didn't see it coming at all. :D

Oops? I kinda reported someone, sorry if you got banned...

Made for an interesting read while my camembret was cooking... :P

Lol, I think I'll survive the banstick this time :)

I amused myself with the reference to the recent soccer drama though.

Two words for you son, "counting cards". Also, how about a proper source. That graph is laughable at best.

meh you're clearly baiting so white flag from me.

I don't know what poker is but it's 25% luck maybe and 75% something else and if anyone would like to tell me what the else is please pm so I can go and get rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Shockingly bad google skills for some people. Spankbottoms all round.

20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg
    Freddie Mercury?

Advertisement