Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Mods getting free entry to €3,500 Irish Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Boston wrote: »
    So you think DeVore will protect moderators even if their conduct is questionable.

Irrelevant of the original reasons for the thread, its clear from 5starpools post that he is biased towards paddypowers. This is a pretty serious issue and should be discussed openly, moderators are wrong to demand the thread be delete.

I wouldnt use the word "protect" but he may call him an idiot for blase about the whole thing and try to plaster over some holes
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current moderators were replaced with non-poker players what exactly would change?

This is a joke, right? Mods need to understand rakeback, defintions of a bad beat, not confirming to poker charter, who dbc is, all basics of the game and loads more. The reason the poker forum is so popular is because we meet each other on a regular basis and so many of the posters there know the mods personally and have a great respect for them. Well maybe now that they are pocketing buyins to big events they may lose some of that respect :pac:
    Plenty of boards here die/thrive with little to no input or loads from the moderators. Its the users that make it.

I'd be miffed if I felt another moderator was using his forum for personal financial gain.

Fair play to the mods if they get bonues etc. Its a thankless job and i wouldnt like to do it, bonuses or not. I mean, KevIRL is widely regarded as a dick since he became mod of the forum, wheras he was just a normal joe soap back in the day. (No offense Kev, just saying what others are thinking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Des wrote: »
    I really hope this is some kind of April Fools joke, I really do.

Basically here we have a Moderator stating, as plain as day, that because a certain individual/company gives him freebies, he doles out stricter moderation to their competitors.

Then he goes on to basically pimp himself out for other freebies from other individuals, saying that he'd look more favourably on them in future if such freebies are forthcoming.

I have to say, as a Moderator myself, I find this practice highly dubious.

As I said, if this is some kind of piss take gone horribly wrong I'll hold my hands up and be embarrassed about this post.

If not, then I'd really like to see an Admin's take on it.

this 10000%

Its an april fools thing right?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Flushdraw wrote: »

Fair play to the mods if they get bonues etc. Its a thankless job and i wouldnt like to do it, bonuses or not. I mean, KevIRL is widely regarded as a dick since he became mod of the forum, wheras he was just a normal joe soap back in the day. (No offense Kev, just saying what others are thinking!)

offense taken. Enjoy your ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KevIRL wrote: »

If he personally abused you in the Poker Forum, yes.

But a banning from Poker based on a post in feedback is not on, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Would you ever cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

You can't call a mod a d1ck and expect to get away with it surely!? The cowardly way he did it is what makes it even worse

As if to prove a point.....

1) you cant read, i said you're widely regarding as a dick
    2) i didnt call you a dick
    3) you COULD be a penis
    4) meh, maybe you are a dick
    Hi Flushdraw,

You have been banned from Poker for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

next time you will think before calling me a dick on feedback

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 7 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the alloted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.
    Also, please be aware that an abusive response to this automated message may result in an extension of your ban, or in extreme cases, being banned from the entire site.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

bit of a ruckuss here which has just been brought to my attention.

In fairness I offer the Irish Open entry as a 'good will gesture', people suggesting that its a bung or whatever else are out of line.

I am not aware that we gain any preferential treatment for this gesture?

I am not aware that we gain any preferential treatment for this gesture?

At least one moderator in question has admitted to this, in this thread.

Have to say I was kind of on the fence about this as an April fools thing till I checked the list of qualifiers.

http://www.irishpokeropen.com/qualify/who-has-qualified.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

shovel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Honestly, apart from personality clashes in here, (which happen everywhere) not one person has been able to point to any time PPP have been given any preferential treatment by us. And as BigCityBanker has said it was simply a goodwill gesture, no favour asked nor granted (apart from having to wear PPP logo's during the tournament, although people will probably be giving out about us getting a free shirt and cap next... :rolleyes:). In fact the only favour asked was by us that they not name us by our real name on the list of reg'ed players for fear some of the more aggressive begrudgers would hassle us IRL, the regulars all know who we are anyway.

I really don't see what the problem is.

Ste05 wrote: »
    not one person has been able to point to any time PPP have been given any preferential treatment by us.

no favour ... granted .
    :confused:
    5starpool wrote: »
    Sure we might look the other way occasionally on their promotion threads, or be a bit stricter on their competition,

This is preferential treatment.
    I really don't see what the problem is.

Give us free stuff and we'll do the same for you
    but if those others want equal treatment, there are a lot more events out there I would like to play in, other than those sponsored by Paddy Power, and they know where we are.

This post will be ignored too I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Honestly, apart from personality clashes in here, (which happen everywhere) not one person has been able to point to any time PPP have been given any preferential treatment by us.

Well I can't link to the threads or posts for obvious reasons, but if someone even suggests that PPP may-be rigged or that ipoker (the network which hosts PPP) is less than excellent these threads are locked or deleted. And this is just one of the obvious ways in which they are shown favour, there are plenty of little things that slip past and would look silly if pointed out in isolation, but together they add up to something substantial imo. I think c-mods or s-mods or admins can still view deleted threads and posts? Maybe this issue deserves their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I see no issues with mods getting freebies. But preferential treatment to user/s is not on.

If a user gave me a million quid as a thank you for modding the forum they would still have the same rules applied and would still be treated the same as every other user and their business would not receive any 'protection'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This is a joke, right? Mods need to understand rakeback, defintions of a bad beat, not confirming to poker charter, who dbc is, all basics of the game and loads more. The reason the poker forum is so popular is because we meet each other on a regular basis and so many of the posters there know the mods personally and have a great respect for them. Well maybe now that they are pocketing buyins to big events they may lose some of that respect :pac:

And you still would meet, they just wouldn't be mods of the forum.

Poker is a busy forum, I would be very surprised is the mods read every post.
    That's what the report post button is in the corner. Once again back to the users who run the forum.

Oh, and twenty minutes googling and I would understand all of the above.
    Its a thankless job and i wouldnt like to do it, bonuses or not.

Its a voluntary job, if they don't like it they can quit.
    Fair play to the mods if they get bonues etc.

I could think of a few things that would lead to problems over this.

Destruction of the community within boards, the company itself(boards.ie) wondering why you are profiting off of their risk and every decision you make having the taint of a very possible and likely bias.

And you still would meet, they just wouldn't be mods of the forum.

Poker is a busy forum, I would be very surprised is the mods read every post.
    That's what the report post button is in the corner. Once again back to the users who run the forum.

Oh, and twenty minutes googling and I would understand all of the above..

I'd imagine the mods read more than 99% of the posts. There's very few fast moving threads on the poker forum, and the fact that the mods are poker players, and have a keen interest means they read them from an interest point of view, and mod accordingly.

Google is great isnt it ;)
    Its a voluntary job, if they don't like it they can quit.

Maybe they go through spells where they dont like it, but they still do it because its needed. KevIRL lets the power go to his head sometimes but the other mods do a fine job (and will maybe lift my ban) but they do a sterling job and make life really easy for us posters.
    I could think of a few things that would lead to problems over this.

Destruction of the community within boards, the company itself(boards.ie) wondering why you are profiting off of their risk and every decision you make having the taint of a very possible and likely bias.

I get bonuses in work all the time. I have 8 lad working for me that do the job, and i get credit. Do i share the money and drink with them,
    hell no
    . You take what you can get in this world and i've no problem with the mods getting something extra for the work they do. An Irish Open ticket is a bit much, but a couple of hundred into their betting account where they would no doubt blow it, would be far better for PP imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Why does no-one on the Consumer Issues forum ever give me something worth €3,500 for free?!

Seriously though, just want to illustrate one potential problem.

I was playing on Paddy Power Poker a few nights ago. I got Ace-Ace as my starting hand and raised it up really high. Someone called. The flop came A-2-3. I bet all-in. He called. What did he have?

... 5-6

next card down was a 4 giving him a straight. how the f*** did he know that card was coming????

When i posted this on the poker forum, my thread was deleted.

Now I'm not having a go at the mods on the poker forum, i know you do a fine job, but surely people will start to think it is a bit fishy if you go around locking threads like this when you are also getting money from the company.

EDIT: sorry, think i posted the hand a bit incorrectly. I didn't raise pre-flop, and he called me with 4-5. But it doesn't really change the point of my post. What are the odds of him having exactly that hand???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

dont get me started on the superuser account TBH, I mean, If ultimate Bet can do it, its obvious thats only the tip of the iceberg and others are at it too. Heard from someone recently that A poster on the poker forum, who works for paddy power was spotted in a hotel elevator out somewhere foreign with gus hansen and a few other poker pros. I mean, he's an ok player, but theres no way his job would pay that much to roll him for high stakes stuff like that, theres someting else going on there. shameful IMO

I apolgise to KevIRL for insinuating that he may be a dick.
    I was stating what i had heard around the scene and it was in bad taste. I should have kept it to PM and not posted it here. I never directly insulted Kevin and he is a good guy. As a good will gesture, i will not reveal the details of the latest PM should i be unbanned. Thank you please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

... As a good will gesture, i will not reveal the details of the latest PM should i be unbanned....

Jesus wept. This thread get's seedier with every post.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've unbanned flushdraw from poker. I've had a word with Kev and told him that he'd better follow procedures next time, and since I was poker mod before him I outrank him in there (it is the way we do things in there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Some people are very very jealous.

As for a mod being bias, being a mod doesn't mean check your opinions at the door. As a gambling mod I hate certain companies and like others. When I signed up I wasn't asked to check my opinions at the door and nor should I have been. I'd also accept anything for free in a heartbeat.

I've unbanned flushdraw from poker. I've had a word with Kev and told him that he'd better follow procedures next time, and since I was poker mod before him I outrank him in there (it is the way we do things in there).

ok, this is clearly now a piss take.

out ranking mods?

give me a break

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I dont know any rules about moddding or that, but thats the way they've always done it, i thought that was how it was done. theres been several instances where kev has banned people and its been overturned. always thought this was normal no? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

zuroph wrote: »
    I dont know any rules about moddding or that, but thats the way they've always done it, i thought that was how it was done. theres been several instances where kev has banned people and its been overturned. always thought this was normal no? :confused:

Indeed. Dom and Lafortezza are essentially smods for the poker forums

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Destruction of the community within boards, the company itself(boards.ie)

why do you think its been tolerated? why do you think an online community as large as poker has never migrated to its own domain? I'm sure it has nothing to do with an admin having had several poker business interests over the years, not to mention the mods being in the back pocket of the major irish online poker company as we've seen in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Folks, this is the only time I have ever been involved in moderating a thread on Feedback.

However, there are some serious allegations on this thread, and some less than ideal behaviour, plus some really not kosher gestures of defiance regarding PMs, and so on and so forth.

I've asked DeVore to look directly into this matter, as poker is very much more than a hobby to him.

I have closed this thread only - and I mean ONLY - because I don't want to see any users getting themselves in trouble by reacting badly to posts on this thread, and I really don't want to see any more mud slinging on this topic. This matter WILL be discussed at the highest level, your complaints HAVE been heard, and this IS being looked into - I just ask you to bear with me while I put the brakes on this crazy train for a little while until someone else has had a chance to look at it.

The thread can be reopened by one of the other SMods or Admins at any time, and feel free to PM me or the admins or the other SMods if you have any questions/protests in the mean time.

Majd.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That qualifying page doesn't lie, it's obvious what has happened, no amount of googling for cash will tell you otherwise.

I am currently sitebanning all poker mods. As soon as my privileges get restored wtf is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

OK for some reason I can't ban you guys, I think all this facebeboing has messed up my privileges. I'd like answers from the poker mods here and NOW or there will be pants dropped and spankybottoms happened!

Advertisement