Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Mods getting free entry to €3,500 Irish Open

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm sick of having to explain our position. Officially PPP get no favours done for them. Sure we might look the other way occasionally on their promotion threads, or be a bit stricter on their competition, but if those others want equal treatment, there are a lot more events out there I would like to play in, other than those sponsored by Paddy Power, and they know where we are.

Calling them bribes are overstating it somewhat.

I really hope this is some kind of April Fools joke, I really do.

Basically here we have a Moderator stating, as plain as day, that because a certain individual/company gives him freebies, he doles out stricter moderation to their competitors.

Then he goes on to basically pimp himself out for other freebies from other individuals, saying that he'd look more favourably on them in future if such freebies are forthcoming.

I have to say, as a Moderator myself, I find this practice highly dubious.

As I said, if this is some kind of piss take gone horribly wrong I'll hold my hands up and be embarrassed about this post.

If not, then I'd really like to see an Admin's take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Des wrote: »

If you look at the list of entries for the Irish Open, you'll probably see a Tom "DeVore" Murphy appearing soon so i wouldn't hold my breath tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

I usually wouldn't post PMs in public but this is pretty over the line imo.
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    If you want to keep your account it would be in your best interest to keep your mouth shut about my moderation and motives.

Cheers,

Lloyd.

I'm not going to keep my mouth shut Lloyd, it's pretty clear you're trying to hide something and now that you're getting attention you're trying to cover everything up with thinly veiled threats. Disgraceful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

DeVore gets the free IO entry as well.

This thread should be just locked and deleted imo. Best for all concerned

Flushdraw wrote: »
    If you look at the list of entries for the Irish Open, you'll probably see a Tom "DeVore" Murphy appearing soon so i wouldn't hold my breath tbh.

Could I ask what date this list was first made available?

• Advertisement

RedJoker wrote: »
    I usually wouldn't post PMs in public but this is pretty over the line imo.

lol you get banned from 2+2 a couple of days ago, so now you're going to trawl the sh1t out of the poker forum and attack the mods? GTFO

Could I ask what date this list was first made available?

There's an "unofficial" list up on the paddypower site as they price up all the players reg'd and a few other so called celebrity players and popular Irish players. I'm not sure if the official list is out yet as paddypower (IMO) also skim a little cream off the top. Expect to see DeVore hovering around the 300/1 mark btw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

lol you get banned from 2+2 a couple of days ago, so now you're going to trawl the sh1t out of the poker forum and attack the mods? GTFO

Yea the usual standard line whenever anyone mentions the PPP thing, accuse them of being dcb and ban them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

I actually directed the question at 5star, which he answered. Do you hold his cock while he's p1ssing too?
    Just another of the Highly Vocal minority. I won't reply to petty insults. People can see how low these people will go from the above and from Redjoker posting Private PM's. Bad form RJ.
    KevIRL wrote: »

This thread should be just locked and deleted imo. Best for all concerned
    +1

Really just stirring up a hornets nest ATM. As I said above the regular Poker forum users have no problem with this, I'd say 5star just forgot to put in a smiley on that post, we don't openly pimp for entries, but if one comes along, we're not going to refuse it now are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

There's an "unofficial" list up on the paddypower site as they price up all the players reg'd and a few other so called celebrity players and popular Irish players. I'm not sure if the official list is out yet as paddypower (IMO) also skim a little cream off the top. Expect to see DeVore hovering around the 300/1 mark btw

You sure seem to know a lot about what's going on and have been very quick to come to the defence of the poker mods, so how much did they pay you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I don't know which is worse, RedJoker making a private communication public or the content of it.....

RJ, you shouldn't have posted the PM.

This whole thing seems, to me, to fly in the face of this thread, in the Moderator Forum (apologies to those who can't see it)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

In all honesty lads this is nothing new, just more blatant than usual.

There's an ongoing "private" boards heads up online tournament that Boyle Sports just decided out of the goodness of their hearts to add $10k to the prizepool, no points for guessing who's going to come out on top of that.

Similar thing happened around a year ago with (was it Bruce poker??) some site also adding $5k in prize money, which was also "won" by a poker mod.

At least they're admitting it now as far as I'm concerned.

DeVore, I can understand.

He's one company owner, getting a nice gift from another company. Nothing wrong there.

But, what I do not like is the way the Poker Moderators were given this also, it kind of puts them on a higher level than the "normal" users, when reality, us Moderators of Boards.ie are there to facilitate discussion and ensure the smooth running of the forums we moderate.

I don't begrudge anyone this by the way.

I just don't like the way it looks, or the way it is being portrayed by at least one of the Poker Mods.

You sure seem to know a lot about what's going on and have been very quick to come to the defence of the poker mods, so how much did they pay you?

I dont know a lot tbh. I just think its a jealousy thing. All mods on here are tournie players, and its cash game players like you that moan for 11 months of the year about how bad tournie players are, how they dont understand situations etc. You just stick with your cash games and let the mods play their tournies. Maybe if you ask nicely enough, PP could sort you out with a couple of buyins for 100nl
    Iago wrote: »
    In all honesty lads this is nothing new, just more blatant than usual.

There's an ongoing "private" boards heads up online tournament that Boyle Sports just decided out of the goodness of their hearts to add $10k to the prizepool, no points for guessing who's going to come out on top of that.

Similar thing happened around a year ago with (was it Bruce poker??) some site also adding $5k in prize money, which was also "won" by a poker mod.

At least they're admitting it now as far as I'm concerned.

The fact i negiotiated the deal and am running the HeadsUp league, has nothing to do with anything i've mentioned previously in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

He's just regretting his decision not to take up modship all the times it was offered and trying to get on our good side again.

Keep it up Flushy, you might get in for 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Ste05 wrote: »
    Really just stirring up a hornets nest ATM. As I said above the regular Poker forum users have no problem with this, I'd say 5star just forgot to put in a smiley on that post, we don't openly pimp for entries, but if one comes along, we're not going to refuse it now are we?

Personally I do have a problem with this, as no matter what you guys say these kinds of gifts must have an effect on how you moderate threads involving PPP and their competitors. Just because we haven't spoken up against it doesn't mean we agree with it. Favoritism appears rampant at the moment with deleted threads and censored posts in all of the poker sub-forums.

I think the mods of the poker forum do a great job in general, but this issue really has tainted that view. And fairplay to Nicky for bringing it out in the open, even if he is obviously partly doing it out of bitterness and jealousy.

He's just regretting his decision not to take up modship all the times it was offered and trying to get on our good side again.

Keep it up Flushy, you might get in for 2010

I'm playing the Irish Open Kev. I won my ticket on PP a few weeks ago. I want all the mods to play. LuckyLloyd can play a bit, but yourself, 5star and Ste05 are basically dead money and adding €10k to the prizepool, which makes my chances of making the money greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

Not satisfied with the free entry I've noticed at least one mod on the the tv feature table in the last few years.Another perk I suppose(Hi Mam thats me next to Doyle Brunson)

• Advertisement

Wreck wrote: »
    I think the mods of the poker forum do a great job in general, but this issue really has tainted that view. And fairplay to Nicky for bringing it out in the open, even if he is obviously partly doing it out of bitterness and jealousy.

lol at people thinking this is something new. Do you honestly think that all 4 poker mods i mentioned in thread bought in the Ladbrokes €500 game? Did you notice all the "slips" that werent caught in the advertising for that event.

The Sporting Emporium €1500 game sponsored by PP also had LL, 5star and Ste playing. Now dont get me wrong, they're nice blokes and maybe have a few quid, but they are in no way paying into these events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Why did the OP really start this thread, he's a well known sponsored player of rival tournament organisers Bruce Poker. I think this comes across as petty and one organisation trying to undermine another tbh. If Brucepoker have a problem with Paddypower and how they run things why don't they come out and say it and not resort to this cloak and dagger approach?

I just won my ticket to the IO online and I personally can't wait.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I really don't see how this is such a big deal in fairness, and as Slash/Ed has pointed out, there are ulterior motives in all this by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

5starpool wrote: »
    I really don't see how this is such a big deal in fairness, and as Slash/Ed has pointed out, there are ulterior motives in all this by the OP.

In the same way people are giving you the benefit of the doubt, it might be nice to return the favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I really hope this is some kind of April Fools joke, I really do.

Basically here we have a Moderator stating, as plain as day, that because a certain individual/company gives him freebies, he doles out stricter moderation to their competitors.

Then he goes on to basically pimp himself out for other freebies from other individuals, saying that he'd look more favourably on them in future if such freebies are forthcoming.

I have to say, as a Moderator myself, I find this practice highly dubious.

As I said, if this is some kind of piss take gone horribly wrong I'll hold my hands up and be embarrassed about this post.

Well said.

So you think DeVore will protect moderators even if their conduct is questionable.

Irrelevant of the original reasons for the thread, its clear from 5starpools post that he is biased towards paddypowers. This is a pretty serious issue and should be discussed openly, moderators are wrong to demand the thread be delete.

The way I see it the poker forum here is pretty much the centre of the poker community in Ireland. The mods there are obviously long time players and have a great interest in the game.
    If some of the poker rooms want to recognise the value that boards adds to their business by rewarding the people who keep some sort of order to that platform thats perfectly understandable, and I can understand their frustration when some other rooms (like the OPs site) who just think that boards is some type of free advertising come along demanding something for nothing and it seems reasonable that they should be treated as 2nd class citizens imo.
    I suppose its fair enough that other mods are a bit miffed because the forums they mod don't have these opportunities arising from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Boston wrote: »
    moderators are wrong to demand the thread be delete.
    Hardly demanding, just suggesting. Nothing untoward going on here IMO.

Ste05 wrote: »
    Hardly demanding, just suggesting. Nothing untoward going on here IMO.

So why the seeming unwillingness to discuss.

If it's because you are blue in the face with it, perhaps direct people to the pertinent thread where it has been discussed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

zuutroy wrote: »
    The way I see it the poker forum here is pretty much the centre of the poker community in Ireland. The mods there are obviously long time players and have a great interest in the game.
    If some of the poker rooms want to recognise the value that boards adds to their business by rewarding the people who keep some sort of order to that platform thats perfectly understandable, and I can understand their frustration when some other rooms (like the OPs site) who just think that boards is some type of free advertising come along demanding something for nothing and it seems reasonable that they should be treated as 2nd class citizens imo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current moderators were replaced with non-poker players what exactly would change? Plenty of boards here die/thrive with little to no input or loads from the moderators. Its the users that make it.
    zuutroy wrote: »
    I suppose its fair enough that other mods are a bit miffed because the forums they mod don't have these opportunities arising from them

I'd be miffed if I felt another moderator was using his forum for personal financial gain.

• Advertisement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current moderators were replaced with non-poker players what exactly would change? Plenty of boards here die/thrive with little to no input or loads from the moderators. Its the users that make it.

Poker is a strange beast and moderators would definitely need to know the ins and outs of the game, the sites, the cardrooms etc. to do the job properly.

I'd be miffed if I felt another moderator was using his forum for personal financial gain.

Not really for personal financial gain. At the end of the day all they're getting is a chance to play a tournament. They cant go and spend that money afaik.

Advertisement