Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclelogical - wow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I like them. Top of the range stock, great mechanics, chatty, always looked after me well and sometime a nudge and wink on the price of stuff I’ve bought. My only problem is there’s so much stock you can’t see the masterpieces well enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭crazydingo

I've read parts of this thread on a few occasions and was seriously put off from going there.
    However, a friend of mine was looking for some parts which I knew they had and when I went in and asked one dude about parts he was more helpful and informative than anyone I've ever talked to in any bike shop that I've ever been in. I don't know the fellow's name but he was an older guy from Wales and he was dead-on!

I'd definitely go back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I knew it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility that there would be a satisfied customer out there somewhere, or even two.

I honestly have no idea how they remain in business.

They have *a lot* of very satisfied customers, me included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Got a frame replaced under warranty via Cyclelogical recently. Good service from them. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Much difficulty getting Cervelo to replace the frame?

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    Much difficulty getting Cervelo to replace the frame?

None, so I was informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Raam wrote: »
    Got a frame replaced under warranty via Cyclelogical recently. Good service from them. Thanks guys.
    what happened to the Cervelo?

Diarmuid wrote: »
    what happened to the Cervelo?

It developed a crack. Dunno how though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

budfox wrote: »
    On the subject, the two yanks in Cycleways think they are god. Their attitudes suck. I assume that they are not shareholders in the businesses either.....I'd give them the can in a nanosecond...

You're probably talking about Jake the Canadian and Nick the yank. Good luck coming across a sales assitant who knows more about whatever your interested in than Jake, good luck coming across a guy who is willing to go out of their way more than Nick, sound fellas.

Only person I'd complain about in there is the owner himself, Phil Cassidy.

On subject, Cyclogical really seem to be hit and miss, some days great service, other days terrible service. When I was looking at Carbon frames in there I wastreated like a god, when I was looking for a tube they treated me like a piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

crazydingo wrote: »
    I've read parts of this thread on a few occasions and was seriously put off from going there.
    However, a friend of mine was looking for some parts which I knew they had and when I went in and asked one dude about parts he was more helpful and informative than anyone I've ever talked to in any bike shop that I've ever been in. I don't know the fellow's name but he was an older guy from Wales and he was dead-on!

I'd definitely go back

that would be Wayne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Karma wrote: »
    that would be Wayne.

I thought he was scottish. Yep, he's been quite good whenever I've been in there, even rang me up to ask me if I would like my bartape changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    even rang me up to ask me if I would like my bartape changed.

that's actually code for something else entirely...I hope you politely declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Bump..

Picked up some co2 canisters there, marked €3.50 each. Guy on the till went to ask the other guy the price I heard him say '3.50'. He then said we'll call it €12, and mumbled something about a discount...I was getting 3. Anyway I corrected him and he charged me €10 instead. Maybe he thought I had handed him 4 but the cynic in me wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I grew up in a bike shop (I was actually born on the premises) and worked in the business from when I was old enough to polish a bike until I left school. (1970s and early eighties)
    I was taught to call all customers Sir or Madam and to appreciate everybodys business equally.If I heard the expression "A nut today could be a bike tomorrow" once, I heard it a million times.

If I said Fcuk within ten miles of a customer I would have got the sh1t kicked outta me and proper order.

Not only could customers borrow a pump- they could borrow me to use it for free.

I don't see why Bike Shops should be any different today.(Apart from kickin sh1t outta junior staff maybe:))If I go into one and do not get proper service I don't go back. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bigsister

Will I put you all out of your misery, the original guy who came in is a known time waster, a local junkie chancing his arm, as heard from tall member of staff with black hair that has bad relationship with visa machines.. But look what he started...haven't had such a good laugh in ages!! Reading this board made my day!
    Although don't agree with cursing even if he isn't a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

mloc123 wrote: »
    Bump..

Picked up some co2 canisters there, marked €3.50 each. Guy on the till went to ask the other guy the price I heard him say '3.50'. He then said we'll call it €12, and mumbled something about a discount...I was getting 3. Anyway I corrected him and he charged me €10 instead. Maybe he thought I had handed him 4 but the cynic in me wonders.

Funny you should mention that...

I was in that shop last year and bought a set of mudguards and spare tube. I think the total came to 35 euro. Payed by laser card, and walking out of the shop checked my reciept. Had been charged 45 euro. Went back in and politely queried it with the young guy i had been dealing with. He checked the price tags, apologised immediately and gave me my correct change. I took it as a genuine mistake, but now i'm having my doubts!

Would explain how they are still in business, because i've been in there a couple of times and their customer service is pretty apalling... A lot of my friends won't go into the shop out of principle.

Jimmy Staggs all the way for me!!! My parents bought my first bike there when i was only a wee nipper and he's still fixing my gear to this day. A nicer guy you won't meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

crazydingo wrote: »

I'd definitely go back
    That's Wayne and he is a legend. Knows everything about bikes and is always willing to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

Here is a heads up for all you cycle heads!

Let me paint a picture & you can decide upon yourselves whether you want to shop at or give any business to cyclelogical ever again.......

I have a lovely road bike that needed a bottom bracket replaced & wanted to give it an overall service. I dropped the bike into cyclelogical & asked how much was it to replace the bottom bracket, fit it, & give the bike a full service. Quote given was €90 all in. So I said, thats fine, I will collect in a few days. After a few days I rang up to see if the bike was good to go & I was told that it was & was quoted €150 for the work. Of course I didn’t understand the reasoning behind the €60 hike in price, to which I was told that extra work needed to be done at an additional cost of €60, which was never authorised by me. The conversation on the telephone got heated, very quickly (not instigated by me, might I add). In no time I was told to f*!K off & to service my bike myself & that I was not getting my bike back until I paid up. I decided to write cyclelogical a letter & it went a little like this:

“I am writing to you with respect to the issues involved with my road bicycle, which I left into Cyclelogical on Saturday 15th May 2010 for repair.

Our conversation on the 15th May 2010 stated that the repairs were to cost as follows:

·Bottom bracket - €30.00
    ·Fitting of bottom bracket- €20.00
    ·Bicycle service- €40.00
    ·TOTAL- €90.00

In stating such, it is considered by myself & confirmed by the National Consumer Agency that this is a verbal contract, which you have subsequently breached.

I telephoned Cyclelogical on Tuesday 18th May 2010 & I was told that the total cost of the repairs was €150, due to additional works been carried out on my bicycle, which I did not, at any point agree to.

I am willing to pay the agreed fee (€90.00) for the works that were carried out & demand that the parts that have been removed from my bicycle be replaced & fitted appropriately, as these are legally my property.

I will give this matter 5 (five) working days for you to resolve. If I have not heard from you or Cyclelogical within this time frame, I will issue proceedings & take this matter to the small claims court as advised by The National Consumer Agency.

Regards”

Needless to say, I didn’t get a reply or even an acknowledgement. So I called back into the shop on Saturday to try & resolve the matter in a civil fashion to which I was treated like I was criminal. The guy wouldn’t even let me see the work that he had done on the bike until I had paid him the money. I had to pay the inflated price to get my bike back & now find that the bottom bracket is still making noise!!!

Let your own judgement stand on this matter, but I can advise you if you are thinking of giving them business, think again, there are plenty of very good bicycle shops in the city that they value & treat their customers with respect. Cyclelogical is run by a complete robbing cowboy!
    And to top it all off, in these recessional times, when money is tight, the bike shops have never been busier, with bike to work incentives etcetera.

I rest my case & anticipate that you will do the right thing when thinking of going bike shopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You should go back in and ask for the lend of a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

mr board wrote: »
    Needless to say, I didn’t get a reply or even an acknowledgement. So I called back into the shop on Saturday to try & resolve the matter in a civil fashion to which I was treated like I was criminal. The guy wouldn’t even let me see the work that he had done on the bike until I had paid him the money. I had to pay the inflated price to get my bike back & now find that the bottom bracket is still making noise!!!

Why did you give in? If everything is as you stated, why not take them to the small claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

I heard from someone,that the place is about to go t!ts up,I wonder why??.the compleat shower of tards..for the sake of a few bob they could lose out on a lot of money..Never liked that shop myself,superstore for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

the staff are one thing [some are sound], the owner is a complete wanker though and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I heard from someone,that the place is about to go t!ts up,I wonder why??.the compleat shower of tards..for the sake of a few bob they could lose out on a lot of money..Never liked that shop myself,superstore for me..

they've been saying that about that place for years. Not to say it isn't true, but when it opened it was to a chorus of it'll never work.
    me@ucd wrote: »
    the staff are one thing [some are sound], the owner is a complete wanker though and always has been.

well, he can be, and for no apparent reason. But he can be very good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

uberwolf wrote: »
    well, he can be, and for no apparent reason.

yep the guy has issues methinks, either way dont bring them to work like the rest of us, everyone has problems, especially if your dealing with the public :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

I heard from someone,that the place is about to go t!ts up

I'm going to have a happy evening in this knowledge. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Saxobank

Point taken thanks OP, sounds like a place i'll be giving a miss.. I'd have gone to the small claims with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Daily Bread

I know a girl who went in there looking for a bike and they sold her a 20" MTB that she could barely get up on, even with the saddle down as far as it would go. They obviously sold her what they had there at the time. I would never set foot in the place. That said, since the Bike2work scheme most bike shops couldn't give a toss about parts/service. Haven't they learned anything from the celtic tiger?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The NCA will ask you to bring it back first to give them the chance to correct it. I'm not sure but if i remember correctly the chain is shop assistant, manager, then accept you've tried everything and then contact the NCA again before going for the small claims.

TBH it sounds like you've done enough to go ahead without that though, make sure you keep a record of everything.

That said my local LBS always writes me a quote sheet and they know me pretty well and will call me if it is going to go over, or not charge me the excess if its only a slight bit. AFAIK its standard practice in every business in Ireland, no business would normally risk letting you out without confirming the price, in a provable fashion, did you get a receipt/note for leaving your bike in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

It's not too late to take them to the small claims court. As far as I can see, they owe you €60, as confirmed by the National Consumer Agency. They broke the contract.

Some might say - you shouldn't have paid the money! But if you really needed the bike, for work for example, you are justified in paying the money, especially if you were intimidated or embarrassed (being treated like a criminal).

Alternatively get on to Joe Duffy / Ray D'arcy and tell the masses in the hope that public pressure forces them to pay you your money back.

You could probably get the full €150 back since there is still a problem with the bottom bracket. Goods not fit for the purpose they were sold etc. etc.

Good Luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement