Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclelogical - wow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

mloc123 wrote: »
    So I popped in here yesterday to have a look at what reductions they had. What are they like to haggle with? Saw something I'm interested in, annybody bought a bike off them and what should I aim to get knocked off the price? sticker price was €1100.

Start at a fiver and work your way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

eggie wrote: »
    Start at a fiver and work your way up.

I'd play hardball and start at 1500 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »
    So I popped in here yesterday to have a look at what reductions they had. What are they like to haggle with? Saw something I'm interested in, annybody bought a bike off them and what should I aim to get knocked off the price? sticker price was €1100.

Guessing its a grey lucero or the old caliente (white with black and brown flames around the headtube)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Guessing its a grey lucero or the old caliente (white with black and brown flames around the headtube)

Related to the post over in A/R/T, its a 2008 QR Kilo. Marked as €1100 which seems good for the spec even if its all alu.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

@ OP= I accept that the there might be a nuisance factor with continuous requests to borrow tools and the staff are perfectly within rights to issue a poilte refusal. However personally if it was my shop I'd have a footpump chained out frontchained for free use.

I was in there last friday lunchtime as I was in the market for some tools and parts. Nothing fancy, I keep my own commuter bike going and was also assembling a bike from scrap parts for my son, so wanted a chain rivet tool, some repair kits, thread lock material, and would have checked availability of other tools and consumables if anybody could have been arsed to serve me. I had brought my bike into the shop, propped it up, made for the tool display and found some of my requirements. The shop was busy, well the staff were- talking, chatting and generally having a good banter with each other. I did a good impression of ' a man ready to pay! After about 5 minutes of complete indifference I was hooked. I determined to stay and make them blink first. Sadly they won- so chalk one up for Cyclelogical.I put the stuff I had selected back on the shelves and went back to my bike, and wheeled it out of the door. Granted as I was crossing the threshold I did hear a faint 'Can I help you?' from behind me but I wasnt going back at that stage.
    I mean WTF?, no business can afford to be that indiffernt to custom, can it? I went straight to Cycleways and got my things there, plus a few other items and will return to them in the future. Cyclelogical have lost me forever. I may not be a big spender but I was in the market for a range of items that they do sell. So why stock them if thay arent bothered to sell them?
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

JMJR wrote: »
    I mean WTF?, no business can afford to be that indiffernt to custom, can it?

It seems they can. They are rakeing it in on the Cycle to Work Scheme and the summer is their busiest time of year. I'm not defending it, it not good what you experienced. You have to know what you're getting into with Cyclelogical... you have to ask to pay / for assistance rather than wait for them to come to you. They get an inordinate amount of brousers in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hungrycol wrote: »
    They get an inordinate amount of brousers in that shop.
    Wonder how many of them would be customers if they were let?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hungrycol wrote: »
    It seems they can. They are rakeing it in on the Cycle to Work Scheme and the summer is their busiest time of year. I'm not defending it, it not good what you experienced. You have to know what you're getting into with Cyclelogical... you have to ask to pay / for assistance rather than wait for them to come to you. They get an inordinate amount of brousers in that shop.

I think I've worked out their business model.

In order to sell high-end bikes they need a lot of expensive stock. They can't compete with internet prices, so need to capture the wealthy approval-seeking masochist market, who will deliberately pay over the odds in order to feel dominated.

This sort of person might be into the shop and be ignored or insulted, but it only strengthens the desire. They persevere and are eventually rewarded with great service, perhaps a nice wheel build.

The newly minted "customer", having been promoted above the ranks of the many "timewasters", then spaffs €6k on a top-end Colnago and lo, breakeven is reached and the bills get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I needed to buy another track pump a few weeks back, so on the basis of this shops rep with pumps I thought it would be a bit of fun to try them.

Went in. A guy asked to help me. I asked for a pump. He brought me out a BBB one for 25notes and I bought it. There was no gnashing or wailing. I was a bit disapppointed when they didn't make a scene. Anyway I bought the pump.
    So perversely their bad rep actually secured them a sale from me.

You didn't say the magic word : "borrow".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

BostonB wrote: »
    If you don't want to be bothered by the average punter, don't set up shop right in the center of town, where everyone goes past you. Thats just "logical".

Ah so it should be called "cycle-illogical"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

ROK ON wrote: »
    I needed to buy another track pump a few weeks back, so on the basis of this shops rep with pumps I thought it would be a bit of fun to try them.

Went in. A guy asked to help me. I asked for a pump. He brought me out a BBB one for 25notes and I bought it. There was no gnashing or wailing. I was a bit disapppointed when they didn't make a scene. Anyway I bought the pump.
    So perversely their bad rep actually secured them a sale from me.

Tricky little b4st4rds. They probably knew it was a 'test'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I wonder if I rang them and asked them for a loan of a pump over the phone what they would say?

That would stump'em:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

when i started out cycling and only marginally had a clue of things, i went into them to sort out an issue with the chain and rear block. the big lad in there told me that the block was worn."ya need a new one " smelling a rat, i asked him to show me and he siad that its clear the teeth are worn in the middle section. i took his word on it even though all the teeth looked grand and paid for a new one. only had the bike about 4 months at this stage. trouble still persisted and it was a chain issue that i got a biking mate to sort out. i cross the street and take a chance with junkies on the boardwalk whenever i am near that place rather than pass their shop door. by and by, this is my first ever post on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

JMJR wrote: »
    @ OP= I accept that the there might be a nuisance factor with continuous requests to borrow tools and the staff are perfectly within rights to issue a poilte refusal. However personally if it was my shop I'd have a footpump chained out frontchained for free use.

I was in there last friday lunchtime as I was in the market for some tools and parts. Nothing fancy, I keep my own commuter bike going and was also assembling a bike from scrap parts for my son, so wanted a chain rivet tool, some repair kits, thread lock material, and would have checked availability of other tools and consumables if anybody could have been arsed to serve me. I had brought my bike into the shop, propped it up, made for the tool display and found some of my requirements. The shop was busy, well the staff were- talking, chatting and generally having a good banter with each other. I did a good impression of ' a man ready to pay! After about 5 minutes of complete indifference I was hooked. I determined to stay and make them blink first. Sadly they won- so chalk one up for Cyclelogical.I put the stuff I had selected back on the shelves and went back to my bike, and wheeled it out of the door. Granted as I was crossing the threshold I did hear a faint 'Can I help you?' from behind me but I wasnt going back at that stage.
    I mean WTF?, no business can afford to be that indiffernt to custom, can it? I went straight to Cycleways and got my things there, plus a few other items and will return to them in the future. Cyclelogical have lost me forever. I may not be a big spender but I was in the market for a range of items that they do sell. So why stock them if thay arent bothered to sell them?
    John

So,
    You had stock in your hand and wanted to pay, so Instead of saying, "Hi hows it going, Id like to pay for this stuff please"

You stand there, staring at them.:confused:

How would you pay onto a bus or perhaps order food?

It works both ways lads.

Shop is ignorant for not approaching you.

Your Ignorant for not approaching the shop staff.

Everybodys Ignorant, but only one complains about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Kona, you are in a retail shop, you are a potential customer (a sure customer in the case of JMJR since he was holding stuff!) and you at least expect a "hello, can i help you?". This shop is a big pile of sh!t in customer service and keeps proving it every day. There is no justification in calling him ignorant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 motleybikes

cyclogical is cool

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well that settles it then.

Definitely. A mine of information is boards.
    Although I'd love to know how many mistakes one can make in 3 words that it takes 3 minutes to correct it.....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kenmc wrote: »
    Definitely. A mine of information is boards.
    Although I'd love to know how many mistakes one can make in 3 words that it takes 3 minutes to correct it.....

and still not get it right either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Kona, you are in a retail shop, you are a potential customer (a sure customer in the case of JMJR since he was holding stuff!) and you at least expect a "hello, can i help you?". This shop is a big pile of sh!t in customer service and keeps proving it every day. There is no justification in calling him ignorant!
    I think this is a fair point, I went into Cycleogical looking for shorts before my first W200 and wanted a bit of a chat about what would be best and I certainly didn't get it, ended up buying a pair from Cycleways.

I actually bought my first road bike from Cycleogical before and they were excellent, really excellent, went beyond what they needed to, threw in free SPDs and gave me a really good deal on that... so my view of the shop is somewhat mixed... If you go in at the right time or get in to the "club" they really do look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't think any other bikeshop has ever inspired this much discussion. If nothing else, it's great publicity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ive only been there once , once was enough
    and they are the greatest bunch of w@nkers that ever ran a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

DaDumTish wrote: »
    they are the greatest bunch [...] that ever ran a shop

Going on the marketing materials tomorrow... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

Ditto with the above.

I went in about 8 weeks ago to buy a jacket. Found them incredibly disinterested. I eventually got someone to assist. Not being familiar with what is used for what amongst a large range of different styles (I bought a MTB a few months back), I was asking what I felt were reasonable questions. I wasn't completely up to speed with "layering" and what you wear in what order etc....the sales guy was incredulous. Incredibly condescending. Yea OK. Easy out mate. I'm not thick but just explain in a normal manner. Only it was about to p!ss rain, I wouldn't have bought it and would have walked out..

Frankly if these guys worked for me, I'd have them on training course and a warning ASAP. In this market/climate these guys should be embracing the customer and be delighted for ANY amount of turnover that keeps them in a job. Today's guy looking for a tyre to be pumped up is tomorrows new bike customer...please don't tell me any different.

I don't know what the deal is with bicycle shop sales people in Dublin. What's with the attitude? They think they're Ferrari dealers. They're selling push bikes for christsakes.

On the subject, the two yanks in Cycleways think they are god. Their attitudes suck. I assume that they are not shareholders in the businesses either.....I'd give them the can in a nanosecond...

rant over...!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭damomeasa

Everytime I've gone into this shop to ask a question or enquire about getting something fixed, they've been the rudest, most shocking pricks I've ever delt with in a retail shop. However, when I've been in there with the (seeming) intention of buying something, they've shown themselves to be courteous and professional.

Last time, my gf was in looking at (semi) expensive bikes and the fat lad with the motorbike, who i'm sure was one of the workers who'd practically laughed in my face previously, was seriously turning on the salesmanship and playing mr nice guy, lots of smiling, cafeful explaining, even gave her a personal business card.

My deduction, if they can't see any money in you, they'll act the complete wanker, however if they figure they can make some cash off you, they're the complete opposite.
    Problem comes when their reputation for the former puts so many people off that they no longer have the chance to act the latter.

Well then they should just scan your credit card at the entrance to see what your credit limit is - less than €3k "not today buddy, regulars only"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Got caught with a puncture about halfway into work today - I walked about twenty minutes to Harold's Cross, and dropped into the bike shop there. Not Delaney's at the bridge, but the one nearer the Y-junction, beside the chipper.

Absolutely awful attitude - I was disturbing the shop set up for the morning with my measly puncture, and they seemed shocked to think I wanted it fixed on the spot. Cue lots of sighing and rolling eyes to heaven. I was just about to take my bike down to Delaney's when he decided he'd do it, and to wrestle my bike out of his grip would've been slightly too embarrassing.

€6 for tube replacement, including tube, but I won't go back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

buffalo wrote: »
    €6 for tube replacement, including tube, but I won't go back there again.
    That is VERY cheap for a shop to fix a puncture, generally a tube costs that on its own, indeed more in some shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

blorg wrote: »
    That is VERY cheap for a shop to fix a puncture, generally a tube costs that on its own, indeed more in some shops.

Bargain alright. They could curse and recite 'yo momma' jokes at me for that price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement