Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclelogical - wow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

No, but all the staff in there are new (they had a massive exodus/clearout about 4 or 5 months ago)

Ultimately-owners/managers are responsible for how a shop is run. Did they sack the staff for being rude/obnoxious/ ripping off customers-who knows???

The carry-on documented in this thread should never have happened and it will take a bit of work on their behalf to mend their reputation-if thats even possible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I went in last week for the first time in a long time. I stood at the counter to inquire about options on a product and the guy didn't even look up from the magazine he was reading to deliver his monosyllabic maximum 3 words to a sentence answer. In fairness the guy sitting at the other counter facing into the 'upstairs' part of the shop must have been paying attention as he mentioned that there may be something under the counter but the guy I was trying to engage with didn't flinch. What ever happened to Cliff?

I popped across to Cycleways and Francis couldn't have been more helpful. What a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

100Suns wrote: »
    What ever happened to Cliff?

Cliff is in Eurocycles (South Williams St.) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Just don't ask for an allen key!

Was in Cycleways the other day when a woman with a piece of sh!te bike "that might have a puncture" asked the guy behind the counter to pump it for her so she could see if it was a puncture so she could see if she needed a new tube or not.

Not only did he do it, he did it with a smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

tunney wrote: »
    Was in Cycleways the other day when a woman with a piece of sh!te bike "that might have a puncture" asked the guy behind the counter to pump it for her so she could see if it was a puncture so she could see if she needed a new tube or not.

Not only did he do it, he did it with a smile.

I should have expanded. I noticed from the picture of the "help yourself" work bench that it was all spanners and didn't see any allen keys. 90% of my bike is allen key! It'd be funny to imagine you'd get a "f**k off" response to a request for an allen key after providing a DIY work bench!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Heard the owner of Cyclelogical stopped paying wages. Hearsay only, sorry Mods if this is no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Heard the owner of Cyclelogical stopped paying wages. Hearsay only, sorry Mods if this is no no.

There were a lot of shenanigans going down -there's three of them now in Eurocycles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I've seen bike shops in the US with a pump chained outside for any passing cylist to use. I think I would do this if I owned a bike shop - it would cost litte and should help in attracting customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tart

Hey Colin get them facts right before you start spreading rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I've seen bike shops in the US with a pump chained outside for any passing cylist to use. I think I would do this if I owned a bike shop - it would cost litte and should help in attracting customers.

Citycycles at the bottom of the Malahide Road/Fairview has one attached to their sign.Very very handy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 irishrower86

Just came across this thread.

A while ago I would have fully agreed with the negative remarks circulating around. However, I dropped in during the week to get a few tubes, tools and small bit and pieces and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, and even gave me a nice discount because their sale is on.
    They have definitely changed the staff as they all looked quite young, but were all pretty knowledgeable about servicing bikes etc. I'll be shopping there from now on! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A while ago I would have fully agreed with the negative remarks circulating around. However, I dropped in during the week to get a few tubes, tools and small bit and pieces and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, and even gave me a nice discount because their sale is on.
    They have definitely changed the staff as they all looked quite young, but were all pretty knowledgeable about servicing bikes etc. I'll be shopping there from now on! :cool:

I'm always weary of such positive comments from brand new users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What was the discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm always weary of such positive comments from brand new users.

Burn the impostor!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1mK01WMaebjGL94VNs1lwP9ZvVw2UxLnRVuXamR6ZHZfwb5ak

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was in a few hours ago and I got a considered opinion on a freehub issue. About ten minutes, including some online research. No sale at the end, so I brought forward some purchases for good will.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Amazing what a recession can do!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Hermy wrote: »
    Amazing what a recession can do!

I thought that bike shops were making serious money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Like a battered wife I always go back..

Been in a couple of times in the last few weeks, very nice and helpful and bought a pair of shoes off them cheaper than CRC or Wiggle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I was in Dublin a few weeks back and headed in for a peek, while I was in there a guy came in and asked to borrow a track pump, they gave it to him. It was all I could do not to lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I never had a problem with any of the guys in there to be honest. I like them all I must say, would love to be in a position to get a s3 and di2 from them.....someday maybe

btw I am a campag man but that di2 stuff is exceptional!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hold out for Electronic Record then. It's on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

hey guys just seen this cyclelogical thread. I had a brush with the owner bloke once myself!! I was in there eyeing up stuff as you do and there was a couple who were being sized up for bikes. Around this time my girlfriend was having back problems from her bike being too long for her, and I look over and see the owner recommending a particular racer to the girl and she gets on it and she says her back hurts, and he goes "you'll get used to it." So anyway the girl comes by me and I say "theres racers specifically for girls too in the shop which might not be as long" and yer man, the owner tells me to get on my way.. I could see the rage in him so I split!!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

I was in Dublin a few weeks back and headed in for a peek, while I was in there a guy came in and asked to borrow a track pump, they gave it to him. It was all I could do not to lol

they must have seen this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

eoghan84 wrote: »
    hey guys just seen this cyclelogical thread. I had a brush with the owner bloke once myself!! I was in there eyeing up stuff as you do and there was a couple who were being sized up for bikes. Around this time my girlfriend was having back problems from her bike being too long for her, and I look over and see the owner recommending a particular racer to the girl and she gets on it and she says her back hurts, and he goes "you'll get used to it." So anyway the girl comes by me and I say "theres racers specifically for girls too in the shop which might not be as long" and yer man, the owner tells me to get on my way.. I could see the rage in him so I split!!

Not saying you are, but nothing is worse than a know it all customer who knows jack ****. I get them a few times, just itching to pitch in their "knowledge" (usually gained from internet boards), A **** off is usually in order. Sometimes they make valid points, most the time they are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

There is something worse, bike shops who try an convince you to buy stuff you dont need or want.
    Examples:
    Cycling in town one day I stopped at a shop to look at shoes, when I was getting back on my bike I noticed a wobble in my back wheel, the guy looked at it and said 'your axle is broken, let it here and I'll fix it for €20' I was about 8 miles from home so I said I'd cycle home and bring the wheel back another day, when I looked at it at home it was only a loose cone nut...
    When buying my first road bike they guy sold me a compact with a triple shifter and denied it to the hilt when I brought it back...
    When buying my first MTB one shop tried selling me the previous years model as the current one, I did some research and was charging more than the new model even though it had lessor components...
    etc etc etc

Its not customers or shop workers that are ****£ers its the individuals themselves, but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

kona wrote: »
    Not saying you are, but nothing is worse than a know it all customer who knows jack ****. I get them a few times, just itching to pitch in their "knowledge" (usually gained from internet boards), A **** off is usually in order. Sometimes they make valid points, most the time they are a joke.

Nothing worse than someone who works in a bike shop who knows jack****
    Whether they are trying to fix your machine or sell someone the wrong stuff.
    And I'm not talking about Cycleogical here....just LBS in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

kona wrote: »

haha thanks Kona! there are definitely armchair mechanics alright. I also think some of the mechanics in bike shops are armchair ones too - not enough grinta fixing complicated stuff, just standard easy-ish mechanic work.

yeh but sure in this incident, the girl did say her back hurt like. otherwise I wouldnt have noticed. I think if your back hurts the first time you get on a bike, it's going to keep hurting, and its not something that should be skimmed over.

gman2k wrote: »
    Nothing worse than someone who works in a bike shop who knows jack****
    Whether they are trying to fix your machine or sell someone the wrong stuff.
    And I'm not talking about Cycleogical here....just LBS in general.

This is true too.:p Unfortunatley anybody can work in a bike shop if they can sell stuff.

eoghan84 wrote: »
    haha thanks Kona! there are definitely armchair mechanics alright. I also think some of the mechanics in bike shops are armchair ones too - not enough grinta fixing complicated stuff, just standard easy-ish mechanic work.

yeh but sure in this incident, the girl did say her back hurt like. otherwise I wouldnt have noticed. I think if your back hurts the first time you get on a bike, it's going to keep hurting, and its not something that should be skimmed over.

this is true too, and I'm not justifying it here, but he was making a sale and that was his job, he obviously didn't give a **** about the customer, just the bike.

It's usually the know it alls who put lil johnny on a bike thats too big and convince themselves his few years of falling will be worth it when he "grows into it".
    Same with the people who buy crap bikes, after being told they are crap.

• Advertisement

There is something worse, bike shops who try an convince you to buy stuff you dont need or want.
    Examples:
    Cycling in town one day I stopped at a shop to look at shoes, when I was getting back on my bike I noticed a wobble in my back wheel, the guy looked at it and said 'your axle is broken, let it here and I'll fix it for €20' I was about 8 miles from home so I said I'd cycle home and bring the wheel back another day, when I looked at it at home it was only a loose cone nut...
    When buying my first road bike they guy sold me a compact with a triple shifter and denied it to the hilt when I brought it back...
    When buying my first MTB one shop tried selling me the previous years model as the current one, I did some research and was charging more than the new model even though it had lessor components...
    etc etc etc

Its not customers or shop workers that are ****£ers its the individuals themselves, but thats just my opinion.

Its the same in any trade to be fair. eg cars, plumbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement