Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclelogical - wow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just e-mailed the NCA to get their feedback on appropriate action, hopefully they'll get back soon and I'll post it up gfor you, gave them links to a few of the posts, to give them a better view of the situation,

good work cramcycle! keep the forum informed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

unfortunately they haven't really given me a huge amount more than we already new but people can interpret it as they see fit
    Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting the National Consumer Agency (NCA) with your issue regarding the repair provided on your bicycle and the original quote offered.

Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, you have the right to expect that a trader providing a service:

* Has the skill to provide the service and to carry it out properly
    * Will provide the service with due care and diligence
    * Will use materials that are sound and fit for their purpose
    * Supplies goods or services of merchantable (acceptable) quality

If the services do not meet these criteria, you may be entitled to full or partial redress. The form or amount of redress will depend on the circumstances of each individual case.

It is important to bear in mind the difference between a quote and an estimate:

* An estimate is a educated guess with no legal standing, and the price could go up during the job
    * A written quote is binding as long as you don’t make changes to the job's requirements. Look for as much detail as possible in the quote.

Minor changes to the work might be permissible without incurring an increase in the cost if you can agree these with the service supplier. However, substantial changes will more than likely mean the service will be dearer.

A quote should also cover these main areas:

* Details of all work to be done
    * Start and finish dates
    * Details of equipment and materials to be used
    * Total cost – including VAT
    * Arrangement and schedule for payment
    * Details of any guarantee for the work

You should always check with the service supplier what the cost implications of any change would be before you give them the green light.

Get your quote in writing either by letter or fax, with the name and address of the service supplier printed on it and also keep all written documentation and contact numbers carefully.

An estimate, on the other hand, is tentative and may be subject to change if the circumstances of the job are not what they appear to be on the surface.

However, if you feel that the service supplier should have notified you prior to the completion of the extra work and you have been unable to resolve the issue verbally over the phone, face to face or by email, we would suggest that a written complaint be made to Cycleogical. For more information on how to make an effective complaint please refer to our consumer complaint guide. This guide contains important information on the steps needed in order to make an effective complaint, sample template letters and information on what to do if you can't resolve your complaint with the company, including information on the Small Claims Court procedure. The Small Claims procedure is designed to deal with consumer claims up to €2,000 and the current fee for making a claim in the Small Claims Court is €15.

Please click on the below link for further information:

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/learning_zone/how_to_complain/

We trust you have found this information useful and if you have any further consumer related queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 1890 432 432.

Yours sincerely,

Matt Terry
    National Consumer Agency
    LoCall: 1890 432 432 or (01) 4025555
    Consumer website: www.consumerconnect.ie Corporate website: www.nca.ie

Sign up for our email alerts about major news or fresh content on our ConsumerConnect.ie website. This service for consumers is free, and low-volume. It won't generate more than a handful of messages every few weeks. Go to:

http://tinyurl.com/NCAalerts

The National Consumer Agency - Putting Consumers First

The content of this E-Mail is provided for information purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon in that regard.

Ticket Details Ticket ID: ZYS-485526
    Department: NCA
    Priority: Normal

From what I read it really is a case of whether it is an estimate or a quote and can you prove either? The fact that you say it was an agreed quote and you have littleredspots quote as well, it would be well worth writing into them at the very least and if they still refuse hand them the URL for here and show what damage is being done but with what has been said they don't really seem to care that much.

An update to all interested......... My bottom bracket has packed in after I had is serviced with less than 200KM cycling. Dropped into Cyclelogical to get it looked at & was told where to go. Filled out a small claims application the other week. Will keep you posted........

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

mr board wrote: »
    An update to all interested......... My bottom bracket has packed in after I had is serviced with less than 200KM cycling.

When you say serviced do you mean they fitted a new bb or new bearings.??? Has a new bb or new bearings failed after 200k.??

had a full service and bb replaced. bb now making worse cracking noise then ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

had a full service and bb replaced. bb now making worse cracking noise then ever.

All cracking/creaking noises sound like there coming from the BB. It could also be from the Headset.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    All cracking/creaking noises sound like there coming from the BB. It could also be from the Headset.

no way is it coming from the headset. its coming from the BB, certain of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Had my bike given a bit of a tightening up by Mr Skeff not so long ago with what I thought was BB related noise.

Tightening BB & cranks cured some of the problem but to get rid of the creak entirely did actually take cleaning the stem-bar and stem-steerer clamping areas (70% ethanol FTW) and cleaning & regreasing the headset so I wouldn't rule it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

no way is it coming from the headset. its coming from the BB, certain of that.

It is almost impossible to be certain. I've had BB creaking caused by worn freehub bearings.

i think your missing the point here. i dropped my bicycle in, i was told that the bb needed replacing because of the noise coming from it. I paid for the service, the bicycle came back worse than when i dropped it in, now they are refusing to made good their poor workmanship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I think most'll rightly be with you if the noise is due to poor workmanship on the BB problem you went in with, but just maybe consider even checking that the noise that you're now experiencing is or isn't BB related. It could of course be but noises coming from bikes can be the result of a lot of things some of which can be really surprising when you think of where you percieve the noise to be coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Did they even offer to look at the bike? I mean it's one thing a customer coming in and saying it's coming from the BB, but as proper bike mechanics I would have hoped they would diagnose the problem first before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A key factor is whether the shop was paid to diagnose and fix the problem (creaking), or just replace the BB. Without knowing exactly how the work was agreed it's difficult to form a view.

However, given that this issue is apparently going to subject to a legal action I think it's best to leave the discussion off.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Saw this in a bike shop in the States; of course they are a bit hipsterish but still... shows that some people still think providing customer service is worthwhile in the medium/long term

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wiskyjack

on the matter of customer service i went to Cycleogical a while back and felt i was ripped off and they werent very helpfull.

in contrast

a week ago i went to WheelWorks on the fonthill road behind liffey vally . i was going to trade in my old bike but the staff told me 2 things
    1. they would not trade because they only sell and stock certin brands ( fair enough)
    2. they would just be selling me a slightly lighter version off my existing bike. and all it needed was a bit a re-kitting.( breaks. chain. cable's.)

i was fully prepared to part with my money but the store manager said there was no need.

so customer care and knowlage go a long way

i will be going back there

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Still, better than the treatment I have had from CRC recently, they are simply ignoring my emails after they sent me a replacement stem when I checked "refund" on the form. I now have a brand new stem I don't need and they don't want to hear about it. I'd prefer to be told to "feck off" rather than just being ignored.

DirkVoodoo .. I agree with you in relation to CRC as I have stopped shopping online with them due to receiving numerous items in the post damaged. The parts were clearly not damaged in transit and in some case I found parts worn or partially used. I did send a complaint but little of no responses. I prefer to use smaller online shops as they provide better customer service. It cost me to post the parts back to CRC, I suppose atleast they give a full refund. I was just very annoyed with having to send bike parts back, on one occasion I sent an item back for a replacement and this arrived damaged also.

For major bike repairs I tend to use Richies bike shop in swords as the guys always do a great job and never charge too much.

I did find the guys in Cyclelogical a bit abrupt in the past but having gone in to check for a part the other day I was treated very well by a young mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ive had stuff arrive damaged from both Wiggle and Evans. In both cases they refunded me the cost of postage for returning the items. Actually, for Evans it was a bicycle so they sent a courier to pick it up. Surely CRC do the same? If not, they should be.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Raam wrote: »
    Ive had stuff arrive damaged from both Wiggle and Evans. In both cases they refunded me the cost of postage for returning the items. Actually, for Evans it was a bicycle so they sent a courier to pick it up. Surely CRC do the same? If not, they should be.
    It's a legal requirement under the EU distance selling directive - the supplier must pay for the return of faulty/damaged goods if bought via mail order/online (unless they are happy for you to keep it, of course:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I once bought was a short cadge RD but was sent a long cage RD. I paid for the return postage. It wasn't damaged or faulty just badly described on their website. Felt a bit short changed. They refunded me the item cost.

Sorry way off topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭djbproductions

Beasty wrote: »
    It's a legal requirement under the EU distance selling directive - the supplier must pay for the return of faulty/damaged goods if bought via mail order/online (unless they are happy for you to keep it, of course:))

Sorry .. I did say that they supplied a refund, this did include the postage (probably a bit misleading in my earlier post?), so although they follow the rules, very annoying when it happened on every second item I purchased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

took this pic in a bike shop in San Francisco -- pretty clear they are more grateful for their customers than some places here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have seen the bizarre treatment described here in Cyclelogical but I have always been treated well myself.

Due to a severe lapse in taste and thrift, I was about to buy a pair of Colnago-badged gloves. The guy behind the counter said "are you off your head - these are the same for half the price". He was dead right.

I bought a tool in there the other day and asked if I needed to grease a cassette lockring. I was told "not really" but they stuck a blob of grease in a bag anyway (they had run out of tubes of the stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

barrabus wrote: »
    took this pic in a bike shop in San Francisco -- pretty clear they are more grateful for their customers than some places here.

Just don't ask for an allen key!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

i've always found CRC grand if you phone them up but sh!t if you email them. If I have returns which require postage refund then I always call first to clear it so there's no confusion when the item arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

These days they charge '€1 in the charity box' to use the track pump. Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yogipear

I lost the locking nut on my front brake calipers on the way to work last week.
    called in to get a replacement nut to get me home, not only did i recieve great service (at a time the shop was fairly busy) but he wouldn't take any money from me.
    From a customer service point of view they could not have been more helpfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've been in to 2Wheels a couple of times in the past two weeks, guys have been very friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Haven't not been on this thread for quite awhile but I felt I should remark on the customer service in wheelworx. I had a bad experience there a few weeks back and I swore to myself I wouldn't go back however I quickly caved in and continued buying there.

Anyway 3 months ago I booked a bike box for hire and even asked for it 4 days in advance of me travelling and when I went to collect it they told me they didn't have one for me. I explained that I was travelling in 4 days and that I had booked it 3 months in advance but got no sympathy. They also told me they would call me the next day if they got one or if they wouldn't have one and they didn't bother even doing that.

I subsequently managed to borrow one from a friend of a friend but I felt that wheelworx really ***ked me over this time and I can honestly say I'll NEVER shop there again. Also they even took a deposit off me a few months back. It's gonna be cycle superstore in tallaght from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

happytramp wrote: »
    These days they charge '€1 in the charity box' to use the track pump. Fair enough.

Charity boxes and track pumps were not invented recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

papac wrote: »
    Charity boxes and track pumps were not invented recently.

No, but all the staff in there are new (they had a massive exodus/clearout about 4 or 5 months ago)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement