Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclelogical - wow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Halfrauds wrote: »
    who cares, he told some guy to **** off, If you let one person use a pump, you will have every cheap bastard looking to use a pump.
    This will be fine for a while, then people will be asking to use their stands for servicing and their tools. then tools will go missing, give a inch take a mile.

The are a business, they make money, ie they guy could have bought a pump:rolleyes:

So the question begs

Who are the best kona retailers, Cyclogical Or Halfords:p:D:pac:

For a business to make money they sure are going about it in the wrong way...just look at the publicity they're getting here! It would take one of the lads in the shop about a minute to pump up a tyre and the person would leave happy. They might even buy something and if not they've had a good experience and would probably be back. I'd love to have been in that shop buying a nice expensive bike when that happened, I would have had a quick word and turned on my heels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

There are two polish lads in the workshop behind Thinkbike in Rathmines, brilliant customer service,great mechanics,no attitude.There are no words to describe what passes for customer service in Cyclelogical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The guy in the shop in Thinkbike is sound. They don't carry much stuff though. Never dealt with the workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bunnygreen wrote: »
    There are no words to describe what passes for customer service in Cyclelogical.

"We don't do punctures, so buy a pump or fcuk off"

Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

BostonB wrote: »
    The guy in the shop in Thinkbike is sound. They don't carry much stuff though. Never dealt with the workshop.

Before I moved northside I had my bike looked after in Thinkbike / Commuting Solutions and they were always very good providing excellent service and sound advice.

MacDonald's in Rathgar weren't too bad and Cycleways are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    All couriers are hippies

quiet you.
    you work till 6?
    catch ya for a pint soon andy.
    regards
    dotc

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

BostonB wrote: »

Most of their parts are in the workshop and you can go there and browse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

stuf wrote: »
    Most of their parts are in the workshop and you can go there and browse.

ah good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Don't know the shop and havn't been there before but next time I'm up in Dublin will make sure I visit it......and ask for a loan of a pump...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Called in on Saturday, spent 10 minutes or so browsing intently.Just comparing prices really. One of the staff asked me if I needed any help, Tony, as I later found out. He answered all my questions, showed me a couple of bikes, pedals, shoes and some other bits of kit. He offered to knocked a good few euro off the price of one bike. I was pleasantly surprised with both the help and the discounted price.

I paid a visit to Cycleways after that, also received good attention from the staff but no offer to drop the price on the bike. Time to make a decision and pick a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I popped in on Sat after my spin to get a tool to remove a BB. They didn't have it in stock, but I was given some tips about what to do and how to do it and shown the tools that they use in the workshop to do those jobs.
    I didn't get what I needed, but I came away with free advice :)

In the end I (actually JeffOnTour) just used a hammer and a punch, but at least we knew which side to tackle first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Raam wrote: »
    I popped in on Sat after my spin to get a tool to remove a BB. They didn't have it in stock, but I was given some tips about what to do and how to do it and shown the tools that they use in the workshop to do those jobs.
    I didn't get what I needed, but I came away with free advice :)

In the end I (actually JeffOnTour) just used a hammer and a punch, but at least we knew which side to tackle first.

You shave asked for a lend of a pump.

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    You shave asked for a lend of a pump.

Like all responsible and dutiful cyclists, I carry my own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gatorade

Went to Cyclelogical on Sunday to look at their sale but it was closed. Their opening hours for sunday read: ''Mass/Pub''

Glad i didnt go in today having read the comments and being a road bike newbie.

Bought my 1st road bike in Cycleways and they were extremely helpful. The young American guy threw in a free bottle holder and fitted it for me. The other assistant carried it for me all the way to the car which wasn't exactly parked near by. On the way he gave me tips about pedals and cycling in wet conditions and then reminded me about my free service in 6 weeks!

Bang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

I've always had a good experience in Cyclogical. I like the banter in the shop and have never had any salesman hassle in there jumping down my throat asking me to buy stuff. anytime I needed help it was always there for me with out the need for a song or a dance.

I have never bought a bike in there and I don't have money for expensive parts but i have always gotten a good deal and good service from them. I'm the guy who goes in there to buy bits and pieces, small tools, tubes nuts and bolts and the like. IVe had wheels respoked and trued in there which are still good.

It's a small shop without a load of room for people who are taking the piss. Selling pumps and tools is part of their livelihood, some cheeky fecker looking for a loan is not putting money in the register.

Coming for a retail background I can totally understand the frustration wiht visa machines on the blip and customers who take the piss. Ive had lots of bad days where ive been lucky enough people havnt pushed things too far.

You never know the back history with these kind of things either, where i worked there were our regular take the piss customers, this guy cud be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Raam wrote: »
    I popped in on Sat after my spin to get a tool to remove a BB. .....
    A hammer and a punch :eek: Not very Euro!! Thought you had more panache than that Raam ;)

sy wrote: »
    A hammer and a punch :eek: Not very Euro!! Thought you had more panache than that Raam ;)

I never knew the rules stretched to bike maintenance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Afraid so

I popped into Cycleogical today to check progress on my Powertap wheel rebuild. Cliff apologised for the delay and fixed and re-trued my wobbly Askium for free. It had a loose axle, was missing one spacer, and had the other spacer on the wrong side. He muttered something about DIYers. ;)

He advocates building wheels to the requirements of the rider (power, weight, reliability etc) so that if necessary they never need truing. An interesting claim...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Lumen wrote: »
    He advocates building wheels to the requirements of the rider (power, weight, reliability etc) so that if necessary they never need truing. An interesting claim...

It's not beyond the realms of possibility - I have a pair of wheels built by Joe Young and they only reason that they have needed trueing is that somebody once failed to latch my fork securely into a roof rack and it popped out as soon as the car started moving - the bike fell to the side, but the back wheel stayed locked in and buckled a bit.

That said, these wheels would probably not be going on your Cervelo R3 dream build. They're DT Onyx hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro rims, 36 spoke (probably butted but they might straight gauge) - Joe reckoned 36 was overkill and 32 would be fine (I'm not a big, powerful rider) but I wanted something bombproof. I've been riding them for seven years now.

So if you want a wheel that never needs trueing, I think you can get it, but you have to accept a certain weight penalty (still, might be less than you imagine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I went in there a couple of years ago to buy a pucture repair kit. When I eventually got the counter guys attention and asked for it he smirked and made some sort of 'last of the big spenders' remark. It didn't bother me at the time, thought it was just one random shopboy a**hole but maybe that's the culture in there.

Re. the OP, I'm of the 'neither a lender nor a borrower be' school but that response was bang out of order.

O also, when looking at a bike recently they told me the colour they had in the shop was the only one available. They said the second option in the catalogue was a US spec and there was no other choice in the European market:rolleyes:. I figured they were just trying to get rid of the bike they had in stock so took my business elsewhere. Turns out my preferred colour is indeed available in Europe:eek: and will be hopefully getting it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

I think it would be perfectly reasonable for a bike shop to have a pump on hand that cyclists can use, perhaps chained to a wall or even an air hose like a garage. If I had a bike shop, I'd be looking for ways to fdifferentiate myself from competitors like this.

To tell anyone to "f" off in a shop is outrageous. I am outraged by this tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

Was in there today for the 2nd time ever, its true, their customer service is indeed appalling. Considering these guys are 35+ its amazing how ridiculous their interpersonal skills are.

I'd walk to CSS in tallaght for a puncture repair kit before I'd buy anything from these guys. There's a younger guy, around 30 ish, he's the only one that seems to make an effort with any of the customers that arent looking for 5K+ Cervelos, etc.

2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

King Eric wrote: »
    Coming for a retail background I can totally understand the frustration wiht visa machines on the blip and customers who take the piss. Ive had lots of bad days where ive been lucky enough people havnt pushed things too far.

I think this is the problem. Retail background or not, you and the cycleogical chaps seem to suffer from the same basic social ineptitude. What do you mean people have been lucky not to push it too far? You work in a shop, serving customers. So what if the credit card machine isn't working, you're going to punch someone in the face because you lack manners?

Seriously, why work in the service industry if you have a problem with serving the needs of the customer?

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for it. "Sorry mate, we don't lend pumps, you have to buy one"...it's not hard, and it doesn't matter if you have to say it 50 times a day.

Sorry, but my initial rage at others' experiences has wilted in the face of the perfection of the wheel Cliff has just built me.

Dat man got skillz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Sorry, but my initial rage at others' experiences has wilted in the face of the perfection of the wheel Cliff has just built me.

Dat man got skillz.

He built my wheels too - I'm similarly conflicted. It's nice to in the golden circle isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Dat man got skillz.
    What did you get built Lumen?

niceonetom wrote: »
    He built my wheels too - I'm similarly conflicted. It's nice to in the golden circle isn't it?
    Also Tom- Open Pros on track hubs of some sort? What was the total cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

blorg wrote: »
    Also Tom- Open Pros on track hubs of some sort? What was the total cost?

Can't remember how much - got the rear built first and then got the matching front a month or two later. Maybe €160? Really can't recall.

They are open pros on SytemEx hubs - great rims, not so hot hubs... the bearings went on the rear after about a year of all-weather commuting and I replaced them with hybrid ceramics from superfly cycles. Lovely. Don't know what other hubs they do but those with cartridge bearings can be swapped out relatively easily.

• Advertisement

€160 for a pair sounds very good. I have heard the sealing on the SystemEx may not be so great. I was looking at a pair of Open Pros on Dura Ace track hubs for £200 a few months ago (before the price explosions) but didn't go for them as the DA track hubs are "proper" track hubs and not sealed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement