Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclelogical - wow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Jawgap wrote: »
    Recently I needed a repair done and they declined the offer of the business on the grounds that they hadn't sold me the bike in question. when I pointed out the amount of gear I've bought in there over the years, they still wouldn't budge, so I simply took my business elsewhere.
    tunney wrote: »
    "We don't do punctures, so buy a pump or fcuk off".
    The upside of the recession is that businesses with these attitudes will start to suffer. However, in the cycle business, I'd guess that there may well be more people moving from cars/buses/trains to bikes to save money, so perhaps these losses will be masked by a general increase in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

beans wrote: »
    Just setup outside the shops, they clearly get lots of people looking to borrow pumps etc... ;)

Better still, round up all the beggars in town and stick them in front of Cycleogical with a chained up track pump and a big "Pumpalogical" sign.

For extra effect, stick a load of tacks in the road. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

Will anyone tell the owners off the shop about this thread and let us all see some defence? I have had no bad or positive experience in there, a mate of mine uses the shop and is always quite happy.

Am interested to hear what they have to say, very little positive remarks regarding the shop. But with the volume of comments from members here saying they were dealt with rudely and abruptly will make me avoid the shop now.

Everyone can't be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

I don't live in Dublin but I do pop in to Cyclelogical every time I visit. I have never found the staff to be helpful even when there are several of them about,evidently doing nothing. I usually check out the selection of commuter bikes and generally browse, the bike shops here in Galway are grand but they tend to have a poor selection of parts and accessories. The last time I was in the shop I picked out a helmet, gloves, handle bar, stem, grips, pedals and a pump. It was an ordeal to get staff to help with my selection and I had to wait ages to pay, I put up with the hassle because I knew I wouldn't get the stuff at home and didn't know of other cycle shops in Dublin at the time.

I'll call in there this weekend out of curiosity as I'm shopping for a new bike but realistically don't expect to buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Yeah an e-mail with a link to this would be a good idea. I think it would be up to the OP though as he or she started the thread and might be known to Cycleogical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Hungrycol wrote: »
    An idea for a summer job for a student would be a mobile puncture and minor repair service. Get loads of cycling done, help out other cyclists and earn money to boot.

I do something similar to that before two of the bigger ones our club does - the Ring of Kerry (because most of the bikes really need tlc after the early part of the season) and the Sean Kelly (because no one wants bike trouble going over Mahon Falls).

I buy big bottle of muck-off, a few cans of degreaser, a few of chain lube (maybe e30 all in all) and service club mates bikes for e15-20. Takes a whole weekend to do it but a nice earner and everyone has clean bikes & no mechanicals on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

CheGuedara wrote: »
    I do that before two of the bigger ones our club does - the Ring of Kerry (because most of the bikes really need tlc after the early part of the season) and the Sean Kelly (because no one wants bike trouble going over Mahon Falls).

I buy big bottle of muck-off, a few cans of degreaser, a few of chain lube (maybe e30 all in all) and service club mates bikes for e15-20. Takes a whole weekend to do it but a nice earner and everyone has clean bikes & no mechanicals on the day

For 15notes you can call over to my gaff and clean the bike/check tyres etc after a dirty spin any time.
    I have no problem with rain and dirt on a bike, but I absolutely hate cleaning the buggers. If someone was to do a good job for that type of money, then I would be glad to support that business. I have 2 bikes, that regularly need cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Yeah an e-mail with a link to this would be a good idea. I think it would be up to the OP though as he or she started the thread and might be known to Cycleogical.

They know of the boards crew so I'm sure they are reading it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

theres only one thing for it. Grab the torches and....

riot--cover-art-large_1196266961530.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hungrycol wrote: »
    An idea for a summer job for a student would be a mobile puncture and minor repair service. Get loads of cycling done, help out other cyclists and earn money to boot.

But we have such a superhero already..... he's....

Bicycle Repair Man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bruce11 wrote: »
    Will anyone tell the owners off the shop about this thread and let us all see some defence? I have had no bad or positive experience in there, a mate of mine uses the shop and is always quite happy.

Am interested to hear what they have to say, very little positive remarks regarding the shop. But with the volume of comments from members here saying they were dealt with rudely and abruptly will make me avoid the shop now.

Everyone can't be wrong

Up until they declined my repair business I would've said they were a good shop - lots of good gear, (not cheap, but quality and lots of value for money) and knowledgeable staff who were perhaps a little too presumptious in their assumptions about the position on the learning curve of cycling of some of the shop's cutomers.

Probably a shop to go to when you're "genned up" on cycling, I felt.

I wouldn't ever say they were rude - but I don't think they (the owner) gets the concept of relationship marketing!!!!

Which I don;t think is a good idea for two reasons - first, the recession - not a good time to be alienating customers and secondly the bike to work scheme - lots of potential new customers who will go to their cyclist friends looking for recommendations as to where to go to get a bike - I wonder how many will be directed to Cyclelogical???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Genius idea Hungrycol, nice name too Lumen.

Maybe we could all call in after a boards spin with a load of flat tyres? 12 or so cyclists looking for a pump at the one time would be interesting.

12 cyclists in Boards.ie kit - is that what you call a flash mob?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

12 cyclists in Boards.ie kit - is that what you call a flash mob?

A flash of Freds :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Maybe we could all call in after a boards spin with a load of flat tyres? 12 or so cyclists looking for a pump at the one time would be interesting.

Now that would be provocation. But a good Candid Camera idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I find cycleological fine.
    I buy bits and pieces from them and get some advice the odd time for repairs I prefer to make myself. ANY time I have been there at least one person comes in looking to borrow tools.

Unhappy people are more motivated to share their experiences via the web then happy people. There is research backing up that statement and no I haven't got the link:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

It's not only relative figures that matter. Absolute numbers matter too. There are only so many posters on this forum and, if I were its owner, the sheer fact that so many of them seem to have had a negative experience of Cyclelogical would be cause for concern.

Peterx wrote: »
    Unhappy people are more motivated to share their experiences via the web then happy people. There is research backing up that statement and no I haven't got the link:)

:confused:

Point taken but that just means that sites like this give a TRUE reflection of what people really think! It cuts through the Irish 'ah sure tis fine' response people normally give

And in fairness bike shops should do repairs like that, imagine a car garage turning away customers like that, they'd be laughed outa the market. If they dont want to deal with 'joe soap' they are in the wrong market...

There are plenty of shops would be glad for the custom and cyclological will too in time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, I think having met a good few people on here, you could consider it a broad cross section of cyclists. So I would say its fairly close to being representative of most people's view of cycleogical.

I would like to hear their take on the matter though, was it simply a bad day or do they like treating customers in such an abusive manner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, I think having met a good few people on here, you could consider it a broad cross section of geeks.

Fixed that for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nortal

It’s 50/50 for me,

First positive experience my first pair of clip less shoes I bought there found the owner alright, gave me a discount and off I went happy as,

then went in there about 5 years, to but some wheels for my commuter bike as one had been robbed, not been very knowledgeable at the time I thought these guys will point me in the right direction - you must be joking I got a real sniff of a superiority complex from the lads there so I brought the bike to Joe Daly’s near work at the time they took care of it out, and still use them to this day, I can ask a straight question and I will get a straight answer priceless for the less knowledgeable like myself.

I find cycleological fine.
    I buy bits and pieces from them and get some advice the odd time for repairs I prefer to make myself. ANY time I have been there at least one person comes in looking to borrow tools.

I would generally agree with this statement (that "unhappy people are more motivated to share their experiences via the web then happy people).

But it raises concerns for Cyclelogical - if the typical service in your bike shop was comparable to Cyclelogical then there should be a steady stream of threads having a go at different cycle shops all over the country.

There doesn't seem to be - which to my mind suggests that Cyclelogical is providing atypically poor service to a significant minority of its customers.

Which is a pity because it's a pretty good shop in terms of location and stock.

Maybe they need to open a Cyclelogical 2 for those of us who have progressed beyond being a POB but are not quite in the cyclist bracket - the enthusiastic commuter who enjoys the occasional spin out with his kids or goes for the odd longer spin on a weekend.

They could call it Pathological!!!

........or Pedalogical!!!

Genius idea Hungrycol, nice name too Lumen.

Or 10/12 cyclists go in "plain clothes" and begin browsing.

Shortly thereafter, a cyclist in full regalia could come in and ask for the loan of a pump.

He's told to "f%ck off" - at which point the plain clothes cyclists all produce pumps to loan to the stranded pedaller!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

they used to ask couriers if they knew me and told them to get me to fix their bike.(true!)

yes dave the owner is like that to timewasters and the amount of time i have spent in the shop is alot, so i have seen the boys treat people "badly" as the person they are dealing with as been judged to be a waste of time or not sure of what they want. the tools thing, well sorry they have the sign there for a a reason, they send people over to square wheel(god help them{worked there as well}) if its a clunker that needs a quick fix.
    sorry but i adopt their approch in my bikes now, i build bikes for people but when someone comes to my describing what type of bike they want (eg fixie)and it must cost 50 or less, they boys in cyclelogical are nice compared to me. very few decent bikes out there for cheap.

yes they can be rude but i still will deal with them, i do get on well with them but that took some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

All couriers are hippies

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

But it raises concerns for Cyclelogical - if the typical service in your bike shop was comparable to Cyclelogical then there should be a steady stream of threads having a go at different cycle shops all over the country.

Penny Farthing on Camden Street is really sh!t too if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've never been eaten out of it in Cycleogical but I've never found them particularly helpful either in recent years. I actually bought my first road bike from them (secondhand) around 2002/3 or so and had a very good experience then; it was a good deal, half new RRP but very well serviced and IIRC he even threw in a set of SPD pedals for free when I asked about them. They were friendly and helpful too and I was a beginner.

But I have been in since, before my first Wicklow 200 in 2007 (I doubt they remembered me) and the service was certainly less than helpful. A lot of hanging around waiting to ask a question and monosylabic answers. It wasn't overtly rude but it wasn't exactly good service either. May well have been different people of course, I don't remember. I ended up leaving and going up to Cycleways.
    This is true, but there is a fair cross-section of cyclist geeks on this forum and so you will get what I would consider a fairly reasonable/representative response. Compare the threads you see regarding Cycleogical with the threads you see about the likes of Joe Daly's to realise that there is plenty of praise for good local bike shops too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

who cares, he told some guy to **** off, If you let one person use a pump, you will have every cheap bastard looking to use a pump.
    This will be fine for a while, then people will be asking to use their stands for servicing and their tools. then tools will go missing, give a inch take a mile.

The are a business, they make money, ie they guy could have bought a pump:rolleyes:

So the question begs

Who are the best kona retailers, Cyclogical Or Halfords:p:D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

It costs nothing to be nice, I hold Joe Dalys and Worldwidecycles as my shining examples for this.

And in ThinkBike in Rathmines also all have a very good attitude!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement