Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling nostalgia discussion!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    rossie,
    Please accept my apologies, I was wrong.
    I've been in a foul mood the last couple of days too, but that was bang out of order on my part. How i forgot about that reply (although I do remember reading that a while back), i've no idea. That's a f*ckup on my part.

no probs
    Yet you justify the abortion of a PPV that was Mania 13 just because of a sub-par Bret/Austin match when they had a way better one only four months earlier? (and better ones after that!).

13 was bad ppv i was only kidding but austin/bret was an amazing match, not only wwe's finest moment for me but it also elevated austin from upper mid-card to superstar and bret from superstar to legend all in one night, the ending was oscar worthy :) austin passing out from the pain instead of submitting with blood streaming down his face, brilliant brilliant stuff
    You conveniently left out the good stuff on Mania V, being Arn & Tully vs Strike Force, as well as the unexpected heel turn of Martel, Rockers/Twin Towers as quite a fast moving match considering it featured two over 400lbers, Warrior/Rude and Rude's first major title win with the promotion and the awesome Hogan/Savage?

Two wasn't a complete trainwreck, but the 3 arenas was a dumb move, but you have to remember that wasn't shown on proper PPV, that was still on closed circuit I believe, so Vince had f*ck all to lose. Hogan/Bundy was a damn good match for 1986 with the ending it needed. Just because it aged horribly by todays standards does not make it a good match for it's time. Especially when it was all showbiz back then catered for the MTV generation. And again, you conveniently left out the awesome Bulldogs/Dream Team match. That's two great matches but you let 13 away with one?

last time i watched 2 was after a house party about 18 months ago, i did enjoy the 2 tag matches (the other being funks against santana/jyd) and the battle royale (much better than the gimmick battle royale at 17) but hogan and bundy was poor, hogan was putting on decent matches with andre 3 years earlier in japan

5 had way too much rubbish for me that it clouded over the good stuff, savage as always was brilliant of course but 7 bad matches on one card even for 1980s wwf is too many

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rossie1977 wrote: »
    13 was bad ppv i was only kidding but austin/bret was an amazing match, not only wwe's finest moment for me but it also elevated austin from upper mid-card to superstar and bret from superstar to legend all in one night, the ending was oscar worthy :) austin passing out from the pain instead of submitting with blood streaming down his face, brilliant brilliant stuff

Absolutely, and i won't disagree with you, I just don't think it was enough to save the PPV though. I seem to be in the minority when it comes to that opinion, but that's something i'm not particularly phased by as i'm well used to it. :)
    hogan was putting on decent matches with andre 3 years earlier in japan

I won't argue with you on that one. But we have a Hogan, a limited version of him manufactured by Vince McMahon, and we have Bundy, a guy with fairly limited mobility in a cage. For what that was, it genuinely wasn't a bad match. Bear in mind that 1986-1991 WWE was based around 10 minute main event matches. We didn't have the 20-30 minute classics we're accustomed to now.

[quote[5 had way too much rubbish for me that it clouded over the good stuff, savage as always was brilliant of course but 7 bad matches on one card even for 1980s wwf is too many[/QUOTE]

Exactly, which is why i lumped 13 and 25 into the same category! :D
    But at least Mania 5 had a few good matches to stop it from being a complete abortion! Plus if all you've seen is the tagged classics versions, you're only seeing butchered versions of a lot of those matches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭deanodrummer

Yeah nostalgia! Rock on!

TBH I basically only watch old videos and dvds at the moment. I have all the WWF ppvs up til round 2003-4 when it got boring, for me anyways, and although some are brutal, the nostalgia factor is amazing. Huge wrestling fan as a young 'un.

First real memory is Macho Man walking to the ring for some match. Cant remember what show, must have been Superstars. I know Hogan got me into it though I was only 3 or 4 at the time and he was like super hero.

Vividly remember watching Hogan get squashed by Earthquake before Summerslam 1990 and crying my 4 year old eyes out. Me bro was there telling me 'it's grand, he'll be ok' cos he knew the real deal bout the fakeness.

1st event I had on vid was WM 8 taped by a friend of my Ma's on Sky. Watched the thing till it couldn't be watched anymore. Still one of me favourite ppvs because of it (Not to mention the outstanding IC and WWF Title matches.)

Think I grew up at a good age to be a wrestling fan. Early 90's cartoon era during my childhood. Attitude era during my early teens and the quality that was 2000-2001 when I could appreciate all the aspects of the show.

Think I grew up at a good age to be a wrestling fan. Early 90's cartoon era during my childhood. Attitude era during my early teens and the quality that was 2000-2001 when I could appreciate all the aspects of the show.

I still maintain that mid to late 80s WWE had some of the better storylines and matches. ESPECIALLY the series The Rockers had with Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard! :D

I still maintain that mid to late 80s WWE had some of the better storylines and matches. ESPECIALLY the series The Rockers had with Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard! :D

Agreed there man. There was more of an intensity around that time period before it got too cartoony. I only really got into that era through videotapes though. Some excellent wrestling action can be found around then. Tag Team scene was amazing then, even better than 99-01 era imho. Harts, Demos, Busters, Nastys, LOD, Rockers, Strike Force, Bulldogs. Excellent. :o

• Advertisement

Agreed there man. There was more of an intensity around that time period before it got too cartoony. I only really got into that era through videotapes though. Some excellent wrestling action can be found around then. Tag Team scene was amazing then, even better than 99-01 era imho. Harts, Demos, Busters, Nastys, LOD, Rockers, Strike Force, Bulldogs. Excellent. :o

Tag teams at this stage are pretty much a thing of the past. It's a shame because it brought something different to the table. Especially at the 87 and 88 Survivor Series where there were 10 tag teams participating. Even the novelty parts of a tag team, like both guys in similar trunks to indicate that they were part of a team. That rarely happens now, probably cos most guys didn't debut together, but were a thrown together team!

Aw, i'm all broken up now. :)

Tag teams at this stage are pretty much a thing of the past. It's a shame because it brought something different to the table. Especially at the 87 and 88 Survivor Series where there were 10 tag teams participating. Even the novelty parts of a tag team, like both guys in similar trunks to indicate that they were part of a team. That rarely happens now, probably cos most guys didn't debut together, but were a thrown together team!

Aw, i'm all broken up now. :)

Ha. I've just been watching Summerslam 88 there. 2 matches on the card were the Rougeaus(major underrated team) v The Bulldogs and Harts v Demos. Excellent.

Thrown together teams get on my nerves and rarely achieve anything. Exception: New Age Outlaws, Bulldog & Owen. I'm old school like you I like tag teams to have a unique look to indicate they're a team. Same trunks, theme music.

Bring back the tag teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

This promo is brilliant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tqRkf9vqvQ

Savage was so funny and cool: "Tell me right now, don't be mumbling and fumbling".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

aw damn after reading these last few posts i really miss the long term tag team division! they used to be amazing storylines and they wouldnt get stale quickly! *gets all nostalgic*

I had a fairly late one. I was up fixing a laptop for a guy (who actually works on the Irish wrestling scene), and we were up til about 2.30am last night.

To my shock and horror, for as long as he's been a fan, he'd never seen Savage/Steamboat from Mania III. Which gave me an idea to relaunch this thread.

What famed match have you heard so much about, but didn't actually see?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ah your going to rib us all for admitting this stuff. Off the top of my head Bret Hart v Austin mania 13

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Ah your going to rib us all for admitting this stuff.

Of course not, unless it's deserved of course. :)
    Bret-Austin at Mania 13 wasn't THAT great either to be honest, save for the ending. Their match at Survivor Series 96 was waaaay better.

Of course not, unless it's deserved of course. :)
    Bret-Austin at Mania 13 wasn't THAT great either to be honest, save for the ending. Their match at Survivor Series 96 was waaaay better.

I wouldn't know how great the mania match it was, I never saw it! It does count as famed doesn't it.
    I still miss sticker books, sigh.....

Anyone else have a famed match that you heard so much about, but didn't actually see?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I have watched no Hogan vs Warrior matches. :(

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I wouldn't know how great the mania match it was, I never saw it! It does count as famed doesn't it.

Only the biggest double turn of the 1990s. I'd consider it a famed match. :D

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I have watched no Hogan vs Warrior matches. :(

All two of them. The first was awesome, but the second was everything opposite of the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Nick Bockwinkel/Curt Hennig, the 1 hour long match. Have heard many calling it the greatest ever, but I'm still yet to get around to seeing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Nick Bockwinkel/Curt Hennig, the 1 hour long match. Have heard many calling it the greatest ever, but I'm still yet to get around to seeing it.

I thought it was a really, really good match, and very different for most, seeing Curt at that level as a Babyface. The match flew by for me.

Noticed the Austin/Bret discussion- I was reading on one of Lance Storm's most recent blogs how he's never seen the bloody thing! So whoever that wasn't hasn't seen it, isn't alone....

Noticed the Austin/Bret discussion- I was reading on one of Lance Storm's most recent blogs how he's never seen the bloody thing! So whoever that wasn't hasn't seen it, isn't alone....

I better improve my dvd collection. Don't want to be like Mr Miserable.

Hah, Lance Storm was too busy trying not to be an ECW jobber at that stage in his career, he barely had a career then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

Never seen any of the following

-Hogan/Warrior
    -Hogan/Andre
    -Benoit/Guerrero/Michaels at WM 20 (although I did have the PPV on tape at the time, just never got round to watching it).
    -Any of the CM Punk/Samoa Joe matches in ROH (though this will change, I've, erm, acquired their trilogy).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

i lkiked the idea of this thread so i signed up to share my two cents.

i remember the first wrestlemania i ever saw was 8, i loved warrior so it was class seeing him, papa shongo not so much.

mankinds viginettes always come to mind when thinking about older days, me an my friends had no clue who the guy with the rat was!

but i remember changing my alligence to wcw because my dad wouldnt let me watch wrestling in our house :( so i went to my grans every friday night and she only had tnt so i watched nitro,followed by thunder!

first time indy match i ever seen was johnny storm v aj styles in the FWA and my whole perception of what wrestling is about changed!i miss the wrestling channel, not twc fight or fight network,but the wrestling channel.that really showed me a great side to wrestling,with the supershows,the shoot interviews and tna(when it was truly awesome, still is good though)

Welcome aboard! Anyone who bumps this thread other than me is alright in my books. :)

dolittle wrote: »
    yeah thats it spot on, i forgot about the gorgeous ladies of GLOW.
    i remember them showing the unification of belts between jerry lawler and i`m sure it was kerry von erich

Yep, the infamous Superclash III match where Lawler won and didn't get paid a dime from the AWA. That match was repeated several times on Screensport over the course of two years. Up til late 1990, which used to confuse the hell out of me because i wondered how Von Erich was in two promotions at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

i remember them showing the unification of belts between jerry lawler and i`m sure it was kerry von erich

God, I love the sh*t outa that match. Great, great old school classic that still holds up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

i loved watching stampede
    the viet cong express, hiroshi hase, bad news allen, makhan singh, bruce keith owen hart, jason and the zodiac.
    great great wrestling

Splitting these to the Nostalgia discussin thread, has more of a home there.:)

I never caught a lot of Stampede other from occasional tape trades. I did however catch some matches from the awesome Bret Hart/Bad News Allen feud.

Gripping stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

in stampede the endigs of the matches being interupted by the bad guys
    also remember ron simmons and ronnie garvin winning world titles from ric flair and flair winning it back from garvin in a cage
    nikita koloff, magnum ta dusty rhodes as the midnight cowboy

the midnight rockers in awa

the rock and roll express against the midnight express

ah i`m gonna start blubbing

Ye wrestling of ye olde really does make todays stuff look boring and repetetive. But what else do you do when it's all been done before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

in stampede the endigs of the matches being interupted by the bad guys
    also remember ron simmons and ronnie garvin winning world titles from ric flair and flair winning it back from garvin in a cage
    nikita koloff, magnum ta dusty rhodes as the midnight cowboy

the midnight rockers in awa

the rock and roll express against the midnight express

ah i`m gonna start blubbing
    Ha, you've just named half my roster from the Boards draft. You should have read of my TV shows in the Evaluation thread they might rekindle some memories.;)

Advertisement