Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling nostalgia discussion!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The Hardys, Edge+Christian and the Dudleys are my earliest memories of wrestling in the late 90's early 2000's, even at that I seem to have missed the WWF/E's best period. I'm trying to get back into it atm, but it's just not the same at all:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Dime101

Oh man my 1st memory of wrestling was Undertaker vs Ted Dibase's Undertaker.

3 Tombstones in a row just wow,I was hooked right away.

My main concern for wrestling these day is the lack of a good tag team division as well as a lack of mid range talent.I mean gone are the days of the amzing TLC's between Hardys,Dudleys,Edge&Christian,they were just great to watch.Now Jericho and big show just beat up no bodies week after week and personally I hate both of them.Jericho isint even entertaining to watch anymore.(Maybe to listen to)I mean for the past 6-7 weeks on raw Hornswoggle vs Chavo guerrero in random **** matches.Its just not that great anymore.

John Cena is also a problem,the guys does like the same 5 moves in a row and wins all the time.He seems to get the same respect as the likes of Austin/The rock at their peak where as he pales in comparison.

John Morrison is probably the most underated guy in wwe at the moment,he has real talent and should be making main events.(He needs to find his niche,not just being the new Shawn Michaels,or even put him in a rivalry with Michaels)The only outstanding matchs recently(i use that semi loosely) I can think of are Edge vs Undertaker hell in a cell,Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25,Batista vs HHH hell in a cell and pretty much any match where John Cena gets ****ed up.

I think this video is one of the best promos for any match ever and sums up how epic wrestling used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdGjxHdYn_s

BTW in case no one has noticed im a HUGE Undertaker fan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dime101 wrote: »
    Oh man my 1st memory of wrestling was Undertaker vs Ted Dibase's Undertaker.

3 Tombstones in a row just wow,I was hooked right away.

surely the worst wwf/e main event in history, what a horrible horrible match, if wwe presented that match in 2009 as a summerslam or mania ppv headliner i can just imagine the iwc backlash ;) undertaker in 1994 was such a terrible worker, took foley in 1996 to give him the kick up the ass he needed
    John Morrison is probably the most underated guy in wwe at the moment,he has real talent and should be making main events.

no he shouldn't, he isn't over enough or at all atm, his face-gimmick is lame, he is more suited to being a heel anyways, guys like jeff, mysterio, jericho, taker, punk, edge are all ahead of him in terms of overnesses on SD, don't even talk about raw
    (He needs to find his niche,not just being the new Shawn Michaels,or even put him in a rivalry with Michaels)The only outstanding matchs recently(i use that semi loosely) I can think of are Edge vs Undertaker hell in a cell,Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25,Batista vs HHH hell in a cell and pretty much any match where John Cena gets ****ed up.

there has been plenty of great wwe matches just this year alone (outside of taker and michaels) never mind going back to 2007

punk/hardy like last week at summerslam
    edge/cena at backlash
    raw elimination chamber at NWO
    jericho/mysterio at the bash
    jeff hardy/edge ladder at extreme rules (with one of the most innovative finishes to a ladder match)

I was just using that match saying it was the 1st id ever seen.Yes the match itself was terrible but you never forget the 1st.

BTW I really thought the jeff hardy cm punk match was terrible.2 decent manuvers at most.Jeff hardys selling is as good as his stupid makeup.

But the Jericho mysterio match was in fact brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

rossie1977 wrote: »
    surely the worst wwf/e main event in history, what a horrible horrible match, if wwe presented that match in 2009 as a summerslam or mania ppv headliner i can just imagine the iwc backlash ;) undertaker in 1994 was such a terrible worker, took foley in 1996 to give him the kick up the ass he needed

no he shouldn't, he isn't over enough or at all atm, his face-gimmick is lame, he is more suited to being a heel anyways, guys like jeff, mysterio, jericho, taker, punk, edge are all ahead of him in terms of overnesses on SD, don't even talk about raw

there has been plenty of great wwe matches just this year alone (outside of taker and michaels) never mind going back to 2007

punk/hardy like last week at summerslam
    edge/cena at backlash
    raw elimination chamber at NWO
    jericho/mysterio at the bash
    jeff hardy/edge ladder at extreme rules (with one of the most innovative finishes to a ladder match)

Their has also been a ton of great TV matches on SD and ECW as well. You are right about Jo Mo but to give him some credit he has had some crackers with the likes of Edge, Jericho and Jeff recently.:)
    Oh and I would bet strong money that R-Truth is also more over than Jo Mo right now.

• Advertisement

Morrisons finisher is glorious too.Plus how can you not like a guy who does moonsaults while holding weapons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What ever happened to Hardcore matches? They were brilliant.
    I remember one class triple threat involving Rhyno I think one of the others might have been Raven but I'm not too sure.
    Thumbtacks, signs, barbed wire bats, fighting in the crowd/backstage.. memories:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I absolutely detest the Hardcore title, and having weekly hardcore matches.

I miss the odd bit of blood in a heated rivalry though (how much would this have bloody helped Hunter and Orton), but it's not mutually exclusive to having good matches or rivalries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

Dime101 wrote: »
    Morrisons finisher is glorious too.Plus how can you not like a guy who does moonsaults while holding weapons?

Which he shamelessly stole from Nate Webb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

ScumdogV2 wrote: »
    Which he shamelessly stole from Nate Webb.

You think John Morrison knows that the "spider" even exists?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

Obviously he does. Who else did he steal it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i miss that feeling i used to get where i had to see every raw and smackdown know i cant even remember the last time i watched a full raw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Some golden oldie videos i have

ok368y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

what do ye miss the most about this era. i miss the hardcore matchs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

For the love of god mods please make an attitute era sticky lol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Spontaniety, every episode of Raw feels way too scripted now, the promos, the matches, the direction of the show, back in 99/00 you could start the show with a promo between HHH and The Rock and wind up with a triple threat title match in a cage as the main event, nowadays the opening 20 mins of Raw are nearly unwatchable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

EdK wrote: »
    For the love of god mods please make an attitute era sticky lol

you mean the Nostalgia thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Man, I'm watching the Hogan/Warrior feud on YouTube, and it's fecking awful! I didn't think it was possible but the Warrior's promos are even more bewildering than they were in the WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Timmywalldo

Edge and chritian vs the hardys

Stone cold vs the rock ....

Triple h vs the undertaker ....

The hardcore title

Sigh

JOhn cena ((( awful )))

The Miz (( Worse ))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

and we went to school barefoot, and we liked it! Oh to be true, those were the days. *looks off far into the distance*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

how bizarre

i was just surfing youtube today and came across this

it was epic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

thought id bump this considering some of the similar threads recently, they were slightly different though so i didnt merge em but maybe a temp nostalgia posting buzz would be good for folk.

Advertisement