Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Wrestling nostalgia discussion!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

flahavaj wrote: »
    Ha, you've just named half my roster from the Boards draft. You should have read of my TV shows in the Evaluation thread they might rekindle some memories.;)

just read through it
    great stuff lright
    i will be looking in in future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Was just watching some iMPACT! from late 2005, Monty Brown squash matches were great fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was just watching some iMPACT! from late 2005, Monty Brown squash matches were great fun.

I always enjoyed watching some poor sucker be hit with the pounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I always enjoyed watching some poor sucker be hit with the pounce.

It really was fun, I always liked Monty.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been going through the Raw and Smackdown shows from 2000. Brings me back to my young teen years.

One thing I found interesting was watching the Raw show when Linda announces that Foley is going to be in the main event for Wrestlemania. It looks like some guy comes out of the crowd before she speaks as you can see Hunter try and hit him with some shots. :pac:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I've been going through the Raw and Smackdown shows from 2000. Brings me back to my young teen years.

One thing I found interesting was watching the Raw show when Linda announces that Foley is going to be in the main event for Wrestlemania. It looks like some guy comes out of the crowd before she speaks as you can see Hunter try and hit him with some shots. :pac:

I actually started watching RAW from 2000 about six months ago, it bored me to tears that i ended up tuning to WCW stuff! Every monday it started off with an interview, got very stale, very quickly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Out of curiosity where do you get to watch these episodes from years gone by? It online or on dvd?

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity where do you get to watch these episodes from years gone by? It online or on dvd?

DVD collection in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm sure most have seen this...it's Ric Flair's attempt in 2002 to stop Vince bringing the NWO into the company.

it still almost brings a tear to the eye ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/the+rock+wwf/video/xv34r_wwf-desire-history-of-wwf_events

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm sure most have seen this...it's Ric Flair's attempt in 2002 to stop Vince bringing the NWO into the company.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/the+rock+wwf/video/xv34r_wwf-desire-history-of-wwf_events

And i'm proud to say that i've seen most of it, as it happened, when it happened. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I actually started watching RAW from 2000 about six months ago, it bored me to tears that i ended up tuning to WCW stuff! Every monday it started off with an interview, got very stale, very quickly. ;)

I see what you mean but I can put up with it during this period. I think it might be because I enjoy the chemistry Triple H and Rock had with one another. I must say as much as I've criticised him in recent years, I really enjoyed Triple H's character around 2000 and I think he was perhaps at his peak in this period.

I do recall hating things in 2003 when Raw seemed to have this pattern. I found it much more difficult to enjoy then.
    SlickRic wrote:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...-of-wwf_events

Yeah I recall seeing that at the time too. Must rank as one of their best video packages ever. Was that done by David Sahadi? The guy who made a few top quality videos for WWE and then left for TNA?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I see what you mean but I can put up with it during this period. I think it might be because I enjoy the chemistry Triple H and Rock had with one another. I must say as much as I've criticised him in recent years, I really enjoyed Triple H's character around 2000 and I think he was perhaps at his peak in this period.

Can't and won't disagree there. HHH was at his best between 99-01, i've always said that. I would have appreciated him more in 2002-2005 too had he changed his style, but the 40lbs he'd put on while out with injury slowed him down too much for him to continue with the same style, and unfortunately, it showed.
    I do recall hating things in 2003 when Raw seemed to have this pattern. I found it much more difficult to enjoy then.

Hunter was to blame for 2003 RAW not being enjoyable in my honest opinion, even when he suffered his groin strain around the summer of that year, he was still plaguing the start of RAW. I still remember the horrid pre recorded promo when he put a bounty on Goldberg. That pissed a lot of the IWC off at the time.

However i've been watching PPV's here, specifically Unforgiven 03 where Orton goes against Michaels to begin his Legend Killer status, and it's actually not as bad as it was at the time. Hindsight is either 20/20 or else the current product is really making it look great! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Yeah I recall seeing that at the time too. Must rank as one of their best video packages ever. Was that done by David Sahadi? The guy who made a few top quality videos for WWE and then left for TNA?

i assume it was, since Sahadi only left about 2003 amidst all the Triple H, Kane and Katie Vick cr*p, amongst other things.

agreed...definitely one of the best packages ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The one of those videos that I remember the best to this day is the Kurt Angle one with Coldplay playing in the background. I was never much of a Kurtie fan, but that was unreal.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MGSman123

I've just been thinking... does anyone else on here relive the good old days? (I say relive, but I never actually lived in it properly due to overprotective parents, imho.)

So last summer, I decided that I'd do something constructive and I began downloading WWF shows (Raw, Smackdown! and PPVs) from 1998 onwards. I'm downloading them all from a site which I'll link if there's enough interest. (They have packs of each show sorted monthly! 2000 was just completed!)

Anyway, I've just watched Survivor Series 2000, and I loved it so much! Does anyone else relive it like this? I find that this stuff is well better than ANYTHING that’s on TV these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

MGSman123 wrote: »
    So last summer, I decided that I'd do something constructive and I began downloading WWF shows

Lol, most people finish the sentence “I decided that I'd do something constructive” with “and write a book, do some charity work or at the very least, put the bins out”. I’d hate to see you on a lazy, non-constructive day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Making a little house out of matches is constructive you big snob.

D-FENS wrote: »
    Lol, most people finish the sentence “I decided that I'd do something constructive” with “and write a book, do some charity work or at the very least, put the bins out”. I’d hate to see you on a lazy, non-constructive day! :D

Haha! I see what you're getting at. But there's a lot of downloading involved there! Each show each month is about 2-3GB, so it's taken a while. It's well worth the bandwidth drain though! :D

kyp_durron wrote: »
    Eh, thanks? I've done that before. It may be constructive, but it's also very disappointing. Once you've built it, what do you do?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm downloading them all from a site which I'll link if there's enough interest.

No You Wont as that kind of thing is against the charter, consider yourself warned....that is unless it is a 100% legal site which i doubt it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

survivor series 2000 i vaguely remember, austin and hhh was the only decent match on that card and that wasn't anything to write home about, summerslam 2009 wiped the floor with that ppv for match quality and surprises, this years other ppvs like backlash, mania and nwo were also better

the really good ppvs around that time are summerslam 1998, Canadian Stampede (i know its not techically attitude era but still close enough), WM17 and summerslam 2002 but thats stuff across a 5 year period, when you look at it wwe were not really putting out amazing ppv after amazing ppv during the attitude era at all, the quality was similiar to today on average, the tv shows had far better storylines though, austin/bret, austin/dx and tyson, austin/rock austin/mcmahon, all brilliant tv, these days we get zero buildup (outside the orton/hhh buildup to mania which was excellent)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

kyp_durron wrote: »

I agree, I image that would take considerable effort, unlike watching a file download on your pc which was my point :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic…I’d say more of my wrestling viewing these days is trips down memory lane rather that the modern day product.
    Through legally bought DVDs of course, I’m not a criminal like you MGSman123 :D (Another light hearted rib btw kyp_durron ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

D-FENS wrote: »
    I agree, I image that would take considerable effort, unlike watching a file download on your pc which was my point :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic…I’d say more of my wrestling viewing these days is trips down memory lane rather that the modern day product.
    Through legally bought DVDs of course, I’m not a criminal like you MGSman123 :D (Another light hearted rib btw kyp_durron ;))

Sorry, I was making a matchstick house and feeling a little inadequate about having no job. I get very angry sometimes.

@MGSman123: I plan on making a little village of matchstick houses, the town hall plans are being drawed up as we speak. Perhaps an aqueduct later, who knows what's in the pipeline.

On topic, having watched the era first hand I can't sit back and enjoy any of it now, mostly cause I feel it hasn't aged well, or I have grown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

rossie1977 wrote: »
    survivor series 2000 i vaguely remember, austin and hhh was the only decent match on that card and that wasn't anything to write home about, summerslam 2009 wiped the floor with that ppv for match quality and surprises, this years other ppvs like backlash, mania and nwo were also better

the really good ppvs around that time are summerslam 1998, Canadian Stampede (i know its not techically attitude era but still close enough), WM17 and summerslam 2002 but thats stuff across a 5 year period, when you look at it wwe were not really putting out amazing ppv after amazing ppv during the attitude era at all, the quality was similiar to today on average, the tv shows had far better storylines though, austin/bret, austin/dx and tyson, austin/rock austin/mcmahon, all brilliant tv, these days we get zero buildup (outside the orton/hhh buildup to mania which was excellent)

Backlash 2000 too. Great PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Eh, thanks? I've done that before. It may be constructive, but it's also very disappointing. Once you've built it, what do you do?

Burn it. Burn it all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

this thread has been merged with the general nostalgia thread please keep the thread on topic and on a fully legal footing (no talk of streams, torrents etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

folks what ever happen to the scott steiner of the wcw age

not this big poppa pump

I remember the scott in wcw when he was one of my favourite wrestlers around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Haha, I remember watching the WWF back in my youth, Jake the Snake, Honky Tonk Man, Coco B Ware, Junkyard Dog all great stuff :D

I always remember being really angry at Macho Man when he clobbered Ricky the Dragon Steamboat with the bell lol.

The best part of the whole thing was doing the moves on yer mates / siblings, lol always remember getting a mate with a DDT, only realised after I'd done it that we were standing on cement :S

rossie1977 wrote: »

Agreed on the quality of PPV during the Attirtude Era. For such a highly regarded era in WWF's history, the quality of PPV's in hindsight wasn't that brilliant. 1999 in particular was very very poor for PPV's considering the talent in the company at the time and relative to the quality of the TV shows at the time.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    folks what ever happen to the scott steiner of the wcw age

not this big poppa pump

I remember the scott in wcw when he was one of my favourite wrestlers around

Steroids happened him.:(

Advertisement