Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway Redesignation sparks huge complaints

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

SeanW wrote: »
    I saw the pic of the N4 2+2 ... don't like it. It has all the hall marks of make-believe motorway. From the lack of a hard shoulder to the cable barriers that act like graters when for example a motorcyclist or small car hits them, but are not substantial enough by the looks of them to stop a runaway lorry or whatever, it strikes me as a "make do" option that presents serious problems under adverse conditions (breakdown, any type of accident, etc.
    Foliage and/or high concrete barriers also have the advantage that the light from the other carriageway is effectively blocked, so as a car driver you can leave your high beams on at night, which is a big benefit when you're doing 100kph (or more in some cases).

There are similar autobahn in Germany which aren't much better.

Admittedly though, chicken wire down the centre isn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

tech2 wrote: »
    The NRA and Dempsey would want to hurry up. Sick of this rubbish it doesnt takes months to examine these redesignations they should know about the routes already before putting them up for the second tranche f**k sake.:mad:

Well, I'm hoping it's this month, but I reckon they'll wait until after the local elections before going ahead with this tranche.

Useless, unnecessary complaints combined with a bungling, slow-as-hell DoT have resulted in this taking so long. Capital obviously isn't an issue, the poles are up, the signs are (obviously) ordered (only the color has to be decided) and the delineation contracts will be closed imminently.

The Athlone Bypass should be M6 before Athlone-Ballinasloe opens. Likewise the N8 Dunkettle-Watergrasshill should've been (and unfortunately won't be) redesignated before M8 Fermoy-Mitchelstown opens in about a fortnight or so.

The only update I can give is they said: "summer 2009".

As far as I'm concerned, the only "huge complaints" this has sparked are from people like me who wanted this to go through months ago! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Now, can anyone find the text of SI 255 of 2009 online so we can see which ones were approved? August 28th is R-day.

From Iris Ofiguil:
    S.I. No. 255 of 2009.
    ROADS ACT (DECLARATION OF MOTORWAYS)
    ORDER 2009.
    The Minister for Transport, Mr. Noel Dempsey T.D., has made
    the above Statutory Instrument.
    This Order gives effect to section 8 of the Roads Act 2007 which
    provides for the declaration of certain public roads as
    motorways.
    On a motorway, higher maximum speed limits may be set than
    on other public roads, access to specific types of road user or
    vehicle may be restricted, and protection can be afforded to the
    State’s investment in the national road network to prevent
    premature obsolescence. This Order applies only to high quality
    dual carriageways which were already built, under construction
    or in planning when the Roads Act 2007 was enacted.
    This Order will come into operation on 28th August, 2009.
    Copies of the Statutory Instrument are on sale at the
    Government Publications Sale Office, Sun Alliance House,
    Molesworth Street, Dublin 2 or through mail order from
    Government Publications, Postal Trade Section, Unit 20,
    Lakeside Retail Park, Claremorris, Co. Mayo.
    Price: \2.54.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

this is the link but it gives no further info , it is dated the 10th July

http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/Ir100709-NEW.PDF

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SI 255? Jesus, they really are rushing with the stuff before the Dail recess, SI 215 is the latest they have digitised and its only from three weeks ago!

• Advertisement

this bit might give us a clew what has been given motorway status

This Order applies only to high quality
    dual carriageways which were already built, under construction
    or in planning when the Roads Act 2007 was enacted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Here is the full list that has been reclassified.

No Athlone bypass apparently:(
    SECTIONS OF NATIONAL ROADS AND PROPOSED ROAD
    DEVELOPMENTS DECLARED AS MOTORWAYS UNDER THIS
    ORDER

Reference in this Schedule to—
    N followed by a number is a reference to a national road
    R followed by a number is a reference to a regional road

N2 — Killshane to Ashbourne
    The section of the N2 between the grade separated junction known as Cherryhound
    in the townland of Killshane in the county of Fingal and its junction with
    the R135 in the townland of Rath in the county of Meath, via the townlands of
    Cherryhound and Ward Lower in the county of Fingal and Irishtown, Newtown
    Commons, Wotton, Fleenstown Little, Baltrasna, Harlockstown and Cookstown
    in the county of Meath.

N3 — Littlepace to Loughsallagh
    The section of the N3 from its junction with the R156 at Littlepace in the
    county of Fingal to Loughsallagh in the county of Meath, via the townland of
    Damastown in the county of Fingal and Clonee in the county of Meath.

N3 — Loughsallagh to Pace
    The section of the proposed N3 between its junction with the existing N3 at
    Loughsallagh in the county of Meath and its junction with the proposed M3 at
    Pace, via the townlands of Bracetown and Dunboyne in the county of Meath,
    and also the proposed north bound on-ramp at the Clonee interchange.

N4 — Kinnegad to McNead’s Bridge
    The section of the N4 between the grade separated junction known as
    Kinnegad West in the town land of Kinnegad and the grade separated junction
    at McNead’s Bridge in the townland of Heathstown, via the townlands of Griffithstown
    and Correllstown, all in the county of Westmeath.

N6 — Athlone to Ballinasloe (also known as the N6 Ballinasloe to Athlone
    Dual Carriageway Scheme)The section of the proposed N6 between its junction with the R362 at Monksland
    and its junction with the proposed R357 at Ardcarn via the townlands
    of Mihanboy, Taduff West, Ardkeenan, Loghlackagh, Rathpeak, Kilbegly, and
    Sralea, all in the county of Roscommon.

N6 — Galway to Ballinasloe (also known as the N6 Galway to East Ballinasloe
    Dual Carriageway).The section of the proposed N6 between its junction with the proposed R357
    at Ardcarn in the county of Roscommon and its junction with the existing N18
    at Glennascaul in the county of Galway, via the townland of Tulrush in the
    county of Roscommon and Poolboy, Mackney, Coololla, Cloghagalla Eighter,
    Ballynaclogh, Turksland, Brackloon, Cross, Killescragh, Carrowkeel, Greyford,
    4 [255]
    Deerpark, Newford, Rathmorrissey and Lisheenkyle East in the county of
    Galway.

N7 — Limerick Southern Ring Road, Phase 1
    The section of the N7 between its junction with the R503 at Mountshannon
    to a point on the existing N7 at the R511 overbridge in Rathbane South, via the
    townlands of Woodstown, Ballysimon and Inchmore, all in the county of
    Limerick.

N7 — Proposed N7/N20 Rossbrien Interchange (part of the Limerick Southern
    Ring Road Phase 2 road scheme)
    The parts of the proposed Rossbrien Interchange comprising of the N7 and
    N20 interchange loops in the townlands of Rossbrien and Rathbane South in
    the county of Limerick.

N8 — Watergrasshill to Glanmire
    The section of the N8 between its junction with the M8 at Mitchelsfort and
    its junction with the R639 at Killydonoghue, via the townlands of Transtown
    and Killalough, all in the county of Cork.

N8 — Glanmire Bypass
    The section of the N8 between its junction with the R639 at Killydonoghue
    to a point 400m north of the N25 Junction at Dunkettle, via the townlands of
    Riverstown and Ballinglanna, all in the county of Cork.

N9 — Waterford to Powerstown (also known as the N9/N10 Killcullen to
    Waterford Scheme)
    The section of the proposed N9 between its junction with the existing N9 at
    Cloghristick in the county of Carlow and its junction with the N25 at Granny in
    the county of Kilkenny via Seskin Lower, Moanduff and Moanmore in the
    county of Carlow; Shankill, Jordanstown, Ballyquirk, Rathcash West, Clifden,
    Kilree, Danesfort, Stonecarthy West, Knocktopher Commons, Kilkeasy, Garrandarragh,
    Ballykeoghan and Dunkitt in the county of Kilkenny.

N11 — Ashford to Rathnew
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Kilmartin and
    its junction with the R772 at Ballynabarney, via the townlands of Rathmore,
    Mountusher, Rossanna Lower and Ballybeg, all in the county of Wicklow.

N11 — Arklow Bypass
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Templerainey
    and its junction with the R772 at Cooladangan, via the townlands of Kilbride,
    Ballyraine Middle, Ballyraine Upper and Kish, all in the county of Wicklow.

N11 — Arklow to Gorey (also known as the N11 Gorey to Arklow Link)
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Cooladangan in
    the county of Wicklow and its junction with the R772 at Ballinclay in the county
    of Wexford, via the townlands of Ashwood Upper, Ballyellin, Inch, Tinnock
    Lower, Toberduff, Courteencurragh, Raheenagurren West, Coolnastudd and
    Clogh, in the county of Wexford.
    [255] 5

N18 — Shannon to Ennis (known as Ballycasey to Dromoland)
    The section of the N18 between its junction with the N19 at Ballycasey Beg
    and its junction with the R458 at Latoon South, via the townlands of Killulla,
    Knocksaggart and Ballyconneely, all in the county of Clare.

N18 — Ennis Bypass (also known as N18 Dromoland to Crusheen)
    The section of the N18 between its junction with the R458 at Latoon South
    and its junction with the existing N18 as Carrowdotia, via the townlands of
    Manusmore, Killow, Knockanean and Drumquin, all in the county of Clare.

N18 — Gort to Crusheen
    The section of the proposed N18 between its junction with the existing N18
    at Carrowdotia and its junction with the existing N18 at Glenbrack in the county
    of Galway via the townlands of Bearnafunshin, Caheraphuca, Derrygarriff and
    Monreagh in the county of Clare, and Gortavoher, Curtaun, Ballyboy, Ballybaun
    and Drumminacloghaun in the county of Galway.

N18 — Oranmore to Gort
    The section of the proposed N18 between its junction with the existing N18
    at Glenbrack and its junction with the proposed N6 at Rathmorrissey, via the
    townlands of Coole Demesne, Ballymaquiff North, Ballyglass West, Cloghboley,
    Kiltiernan East, Roevehagh, Moyveela and Gortroe, all in the county of Galway.

N20 — Limerick to Attyflin (also known as the N20/N21 Junction)
    The section of the N20 from a point 660m south of the existing N7/N20 junction
    at Rossbrien to its junction with the N21 at Ballybronoge South, via the
    townlands of Dooradoyle, Rootiagh, Barnakyle and Attyflin, all in the county
    of Limerick.

GIVEN under my Official Seal,
    2 July 2009

Linky http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10978-SI_255_OF_2009-0.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

When will the changeover happen?

28th August 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Well the bulk of it got through anyway (and Mysterious will be happy!)

Will be interesting to see when it all goes through and why Athlone appears not to have gotten it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

So anyone care to draw the map as of 28th of August?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

...and whos going to stay up till midnight on the 27th to say "I UPDATED OPENSTREETMAP"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I wonder why N7 Limerick-Nenagh, Nenagh-Castletown aren't included? A major omission surely?

were re-designated in the first tranche , will open as motorway when complete.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

MYOB wrote: »
    SI 255? Jesus, they really are rushing with the stuff before the Dail recess, SI 215 is the latest they have digitised and its only from three weeks ago!

They don't need the Dáil to make statutory instruments, the Minister has delegated power under the Act to make them in his own right. The Government is only required to lay a copy of the SI before both Houses of the Oireachtas. The Oireachtas can technically overturn the SI but never does.

Anyway, good to see this measure finally go through, even if the Athlone bypass has been left out, it was not really up to motorway standard anyway.

So hello M2, M3, M18, and M20!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

It's a shame that the N25, N22 & N20 approaching Cork City weren't included in the redesignation. (yeah yeah I know what the NRA said about short stretches).

From the point of view of an investor looking at a map of Ireland, Limerick will appear to be far more superior City. :)

So they finally did it.

Very happy to see that the vast majority of routes got through, including the southern section of N9 which wasn't redesignated last time round.

VERY unhappy to see that we will have an unnecessary gap in the network on the M6 thanks to local whinging.

For what it's worth however, I am so glad the redesignations have finally been approved and the NRA can proceed. Somebody should start a brand new thread so it can be discussed properly there. I will save all my thoughts until that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

icdg wrote: »
    So hello M2, M3, M18, and M20!
    Ah FFS, Meath gets yet ANOTHER motorway, thats 4 so far, the Minister is from where again!
    I guess we in Offaly will have to be thankful for half that, the M6 and the M7;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

BluntGuy wrote: »
    VERY unhappy to see that we will have an unnecessary gap in the network on the M6 thanks to local whinging.

+1

however, Mysterious will be pleased

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BluntGuy wrote: »

...if it means that when we have cash we do a proper job on it, either by looping to the south of the town or putting in service roads, closing some junctions and banking the curves a bit more appropriately for speed (plus a full resurface); thats preferable to reclassifying the existing one. However, I have zero confidence that will happen.

The Glanmire Bypass is as twisty if not twistier than the Athlone one but the surfacing is a class above... its already 120km/h is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think it would be crazy to see the (rather old by celtic tiger standards) Athlone bypass upgraded to motorway status. Basically for the same reasons as Mysterious has already outlined. I've seen that road, and the amount of local traffic it gets. It serves as a ring road in the sense that people coming from say the N55 will use the bypass for a short stretch to access the Roscommon road. Vehicles with trailers and slow moving vehicles (not all of them tractors) would have to use Athlone town centre and its solitary bridge.

For the sake of having the signs blue instead of green (speed limit's still 100kph like) I think it would be wrong to inconvenience the small amount of users, users that have merited need of using the route.

Good news on the rest of the designations I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

about time.
    It was utterly ludicrous that roads like the Ennis/ Shannon by passes were 100kmh.

The VERY SAME limit decided as appropriate on the ring of Kerry on stretches of roads with Horseshoe Bends.

Only in Ireland!

No wonder everyone ignores the speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I think it would be crazy to see the (rather old by celtic tiger standards) Athlone bypass upgraded to motorway status. Basically for the same reasons as Mysterious has already outlined. I've seen that road, and the amount of local traffic it gets. It serves as a ring road in the sense that people coming from say the N55 will use the bypass for a short stretch to access the Roscommon road. Vehicles with trailers and slow moving vehicles (not all of them tractors) would have to use Athlone town centre and its solitary bridge.

For the sake of having the signs blue instead of green (speed limit's still 100kph like) I think it would be wrong to inconvenience the small amount of users, users that have merited need of using the route.

It's for those reasons that local users should have been inconvenienced, those users should be using the town and not the bypass now that it is firmly part of an M6 (even if it itself remains N) - I don't think people quite appreciate what a deathtrap this bypass will become with motorway traffic flying onto it and mingling with all-purpose traffic. Redesignating it motorway would at least have discouraged some of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Athlone bypass was never a motorway and was never designed to be .

Its a ring road for the town and all vehicles are entitled to use it. The slower speed limit is there for a good reason.

They should ban cyclists and pedestrian, and give the road special status.
    Anyone who cycles or walks it deserves to be killed imo.

mysterious wrote: »
    Its a ring road for the town and all vehicles are entitled to use it. The slower speed limit is there for a good reason.

No it's not, it's a bypass.

Or you could just make it a motorway which acheives the same thing except with more consistent signage and the added advantage of all slow vehicles being removed.

Anyway, this argument has been had 100s of times, it's irrelevant for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

true ... now the whingers in the Western town side have their way, Mick the Mixer, Paddy the Plasterer, Fingers Ferguson and every other scumbag developer can build housing estates and shopping centres on the mainline. Kew Gardens, Mahon Point here we come! :O

And of course all those cyclists and pedestrians (that so need to use the bypass) will make the dual carriageway really safe mixed in will the vast bulk of long distance traffic ...

how retarded. :mad:

The only 'special status' a road can be given is, ooh, motorway. We're not in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyone who cycles or walks it deserves to be killed imo.

What a lovely sentiment. If you want your green signs, then you have to put up with cyclists and pedestrians.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Bards

MYOB wrote: »
    The only 'special status' a road can be given is, ooh, motorway. We're not in the UK.

Not true. The Waterford City Bypass will be DC but will be given special treatment between Western Link GSJ and Grannagh GSJ to ban Pedestrians ,Bicycles and Horse Drawn Carriages

See section 8.2 of the following

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/TollingDocumentation/file,16116,en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I want my blue signs:D

When there is proper alternate route then I will be up for the Athlone bypass been a motorway.

The town bridges suffers chronic congestion and can barely fit two trucks on it. These mattes dont' matter of course. I want my bluuuuuuuuue motorway.

The decision was made, and logic prevailed. The Athlone bypass is not suitable as a motroway. With the steep gradients and lack of viable alternative routes for non motorway traffic.

Advertisement