Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next for Dunne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It would be fantastic to see Dunne fight in Vegas but that fight, simply would not sell tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

alanceltic wrote: »
    Theres no chance of selling out a boxing show during the summer months, too much money being sucked into the GAA during July, August & early Sept and too many people on hols to have any chance of maximising the gate.

I would love to see Dunne in against Molitor, especially after seeing him bottle it against Caballero (he got stage fright big time) but this wont happen now, Im still wondering will the IBF sanction Martinez-Munroe on the other side of the eliminator, Martinez is ranked 7th (really 5th as 1 & 2 are vacant) and Munroe is ranked 11th (really 9th) and thats before you knock molitor & Ruiz off the list who are both ranked top10 and have just fought.

Dunne v AN Other after the summer
    Caballero to move up to feather in Sept/Oct
    Martinez V Munroe in second IBF eliminator in September
    Molitor V winner of Muroe-Martinez for vacant IBF in December
    Dunne v Molitor for unification of WBA/IBF in Vegas....yeaaaa baby

Well, didn't Martinez and Dunne fight at the end of August 2007 and that
    was a decent seller, and it wasn't a 'world title.'

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Yeah true but theres an extra 50% capacity between the "old" and "new" point - 3,000 seats which some shows would be hard pushed to sell out on alone! Also we werent in the middle of a recession back in 2007. Sure the tickets for the cordoba fight were cheaper than the martinez fight. The difference between then and now is like night and day, im sure the next fight will be a sellout regardless of opponent but you can see the logic in avoiding the summer months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Rendall Munroe V Toshiaki Nishioka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Rendall Munroe V Toshiaki Nishioka

Is there talks of it? Id say Nishioka has to face Marquez fairly soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

joepenguin wrote: »
    Is there talks of it? Id say Nishioka has to face Marquez fairly soon.

I think Munroe faces Maludrottu next which Maloney is trying to get sanctioned as an eliminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

f1dan wrote: »
    I think Munroe faces Maludrottu next which Maloney is trying to get sanctioned as an eliminator.
    Maludrottu is a tough fight for Munroe. He'll have to step up his game to beat him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

walshb wrote: »
    Well, didn't Martinez and Dunne fight at the end of August 2007 and that
    was a decent seller, and it wasn't a 'world title.'

was actually a disaster - Peters mentions it on the documentry, says he took a hit - somewhere in the region of 100k, and was practically giving the tickets away come the fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

T-K-O wrote: »
    It would be fantastic to see Dunne fight in Vegas but that fight, simply would not sell tickets

Agreed. The americans will remember Dunne from his last fight in the US about 4 years ago or so, when he got a gift decision against Valdez. Still, the Irish contingent could fill up the place, but with the recession I doubt many would be traveling over and it would be reliant on the Irish-Americans. Plus you also have to consider that the likes of Vasquez/Marquez and Lopez are simply out of Dunne's league. Dunne should try to make the Munroe fight, it's very winnable and will sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

cant believe there still hasnt been even a peep from the Dunne camp. They must be working on things behind the scenes but it would be nice to hear Bernards views on where he sees himself going in the next couple of fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭itouchmyself

Bitta look he'll be thrown in with Juan Manuel Lopez soon:pac::pac::pac:
    Goodnight Bernard in 10 seconds!!! Hate all this b****xs people not knowing about boxing thinking hes the best in the world. Cause he aint by far...
    All the same, fair play to him he does what he does and fair play for a man with a ****e chin hes got far and made a few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

Goodnight Bernard in 10 seconds!!! Hate all this b****xs people not knowing about boxing thinking hes the best in the world. Cause he aint by far...
    All the same, fair play to him he does what he does and fair play for a man with a ****e chin hes got far and made a few bob.

That's boxings problem and not Bernards, to many titles. Most people would rate Dunne top 10 and that aint bad, better than you or I will achieve.

k101 wrote: »

I do fancy a holiday and where better than Thailand :)

However I did think Brian Peters could afford to keep the first defence in this country, Bernard being champ and having a passionate crowd behind him at the point would surely be a difference in any close rounds

That's boxings problem and not Bernards, to many titles. Most people would rate Dunne top 10 and that aint bad, better than you or I will achieve.
    Maybe... but I did say fair play to him for making it were he did if you read what I said!

Maybe... but I did say fair play to him for making it were he did if you read what I said!

Thats true - you did manage to totally contradict yourself in your post

john47832 wrote: »
    Thats true - you did manage to totally contradict yourself in your post

I'm just saying hate people thinking hes the best in the world but fair play to him he can only fight whos put infront off him and if people believe that not his fault he just there to make money.
    Its not that much of a contridiction is it?

What would be luck about him being thrown in with Lopez?

He has won WBA world title, even people who dont know anything about boxing know this makes him one of the best in the world

It doesnt make him the lb 4 lb greatest ever fighter that ever lived but I have never seen anyone say that

I think most people know Dunnes level and how far he can go. I've had many conversations with all kinds of people about numerous boxers on this very subject.
    Guys who do not follow the sport assume the world champion is the best in the world - and that makers perfect sense.

When I explain to people about guys like Vazquez and Lopez they understand - not one has come back and said Dunne would beat them.

When I explain to people about guys like Vazquez and Lopez they understand - not one has come back and said Dunne would beat them.

Let me be the first :)

I reckon Dunne could take a wartorn/aging Vasquez

• Advertisement

Let me be the first :)

I reckon Dunne could take a wartorn/aging Vasquez

Dunne could beat anyway at the weight on a good night. But that would require him to stick with the gameplan - that ain't one of his strong points.

Dunne could beat anyway at the weight on a good night. But that would require him to stick with the gameplan - that ain't one of his strong points.

You obviously know Bernard personnally or something cause thats just plain crazy!!! He could fight Lopez 1000 and be knocked out every single time! Hes a bad chin and Lopez a big hitter not 24-0 22 ko for nout, Il leave it at that not arsed arguing about it

Il leave it at that not arsed arguing about it

itouchmyself

Who in their right mind is gonna argue with someone with a name like that !!

You obviously know Bernard personnally or something cause thats just plain crazy!!! He could fight Lopez 1000 and be knocked out every single time! Hes a bad chin and Lopez a big hitter not 24-0 22 ko for nout, Il leave it at that not arsed arguing about it

It's commonly knows as a debate. Whats the point in coming on here if you do not want to discuss the topics.

Anyway

Listen, I'm a big fan of Lopez but cool the jets there - the kid still has a lot to prove. As for bad chins and big hitters, it doesnt always work out like that.

Dunne can box with the best of them, and yes on a day - a very lucky day for Ben I could see him outboxing the elite guys. It aint very likely as he tends to get caught up in the action instead of fighting smart but hey it is possible.,

In Dunnes division there is like 2-3 guys who are out of his league, the guys in the top 20 are worthy contenders and the others he is head and shoulders above. Give or take depending on your view.

On a good night he has the ability to take the other champs, but they are champs for a reason.

Anyway this Poonswat guy looks very decent.

joepenguin wrote: »
    Anyway this Poonswat guy looks very decent.

I'm not so sure about Poonswat, seems to me like was fighting v bad quality then stepped up his game fighting Cordoba

Looking at the 2 Cordoba fights - I would say Cordoba fought a lot better against Dunne than against Poonswat

Only looked at a small bit of the clip but you never know with these guys who havent fought the best opposition.

By the way when a fight is up on boxrec as unsanctioned, what exactly does this mean? That the local boxing commission didnt sanction it cause it wasnt a proper world title or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Celestino Caballero
    Juan Manuel Lopez
    Poonsawat
    Daniel Ponce De Leon
    Steve Molitor

Israel Vasquez is looking very dodgy these days with bad shakes and slurring his words. It looks like the last place he should be is in a ring.

I am a big fan of Dunne and he is a talented boxer and is'nt afraid to go toe to toe. Many knowledgable observers believe his fight with Cordoba is fight of the year up to now.

In saying this I am sure in my mind that Caballero and Lopez would take Dunne apart. Juanma is scarily good.

The other fighters listed would be a very tough test for Dunne but he could win them if his chin is not too tested.

I think it is widely regarded that the WBA title Dunne holds is really an interim title. With the WBA having Caballero as their unified champion, as he also holds the IBF belt, they create a title for a normal champion which is Dunne. Dunne is not rated as the top superbantamweight by his own organisation, Caballero is. The WBA and their ranking system is widely seen as a joke. For me Bernard would have to beat Caballero to be the WBA champ.

The WBA have all these titles as it allows them to charge sanctioning fees for world title fights which should only be interim fights.

Where the fight is held will have a big bearing on the result especially if it goes the distance. It can be notoriously difficult to get a result in Thailand. Many people felt Cordoba beat Poonsawat when they fought but didn't get the decision due to the fight being in Thailand.

Cordoba was only 21 when he fought Poonsawat. The Cordoba that Dunne beat was a better fighter. Its a tough test for Dunne, I just hope the fight is in Dublin.

itouchmyself

Who in their right mind is gonna argue with someone with a name like that !!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could make such a come back like that hahaha... you obviously know what iv said is right if that was all you could say in return
    .... thank you and good night john!!

• Advertisement

It's commonly knows as a debate. Whats the point in coming on here if you do not want to discuss the topics.

Anyway

Listen, I'm a big fan of Lopez but cool the jets there - the kid still has a lot to prove. As for bad chins and big hitters, it doesnt always work out like that.

Dunne can box with the best of them, and yes on a day - a very lucky day for Ben I could see him outboxing the elite guys. It aint very likely as he tends to get caught up in the action instead of fighting smart but hey it is possible.,

Because there is no topic Dunne is 2nd class to Lopez....

Your right though on his day he is a good boxer though and really could out box anyone in the division with out a shadow off a doubt

.... until he gets hit!!!

Advertisement