Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next for Dunne

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

john47832 wrote: »
    Depends what way you look at it - This is for the original / and Cordobas title is unified

or - This is for interim type of belt and Cordoba holds original

calling a spade a spade - the history books will show the mighty Dunne as World Champion

Do you not mean Caballero?

Caballero holds the real world title, Dunne holds a version
    of this belt. So, history will show certain things to
    certain people. I believe in ONE world champ
    at best in each weight. Unfortunately, this
    is not the case, so we have to put up with 3, 4, and 5
    world champions. The real WC at 122 lbs is IMO Lopez or Caballero.

Anyway, I guess we have discussed this extensively before, so let
    us just sit back and enjoy the Sept 26th fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Would the Thai boxer be favourite to win this fight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Paddy Powers :

Dunne 8/13
    Thaiguy 6/5

reflects home advantage perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

spongeman wrote: »
    Paddy Powers :

Dunne 8/13
    Thaiguy 6/5

reflects home advantage perhaps ?

reflects the fact there are more questions about this fight than answers

will Bernard be able to cope with anoter martinez type fighter?
    will the Thai travel well?
    is the Thai's record really any good outside ogf the Cordoba fight?

makes for a very interesting fight in which the winner will be looking to fight higher ranked fighters - of which there are only 2 or 3 in this division, and there are also questions if those will move up weight, so this winner could be left to fill top spot at some time in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

thais dont fight great outside of asia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

john47832 wrote: »
    Depends what way you look at it - This is for the original / and Cordobas title is unified

or - This is for interim type of belt and Cordoba holds original

calling a spade a spade - the history books will show the mighty Dunne as World Champion

Dunnes title holds as much value as Hattons welterweight title.
    The way I look at it is a divsion only has a world champion after someone has cleaned up, or beaten everyone else worth talking about, or is the linear champ and still fighting top contenders.

Super bantam is a stacked division but since Vasquez has left the divison we are without a world champion. The winner of cab-lopez will give us a champ. Until then we have belt holders.

Cabalerro has the wba and ibf
    lopez has the wbo
    nishioka has the wbc

and dunne has the wba regular.

Without having an actual champion of the world I look at the belts as just awards that at least mean their owners are top ten fighters and maybe more. They are however world class. In Dunnes case I give him more credit than most give him for the simple fact that cordoba beat cabellerp albeit a few years back and dunne beat cordoba. This doesnt put dunne in the top 2-3 by any means but the fighter he beat for the belt had some class and could hang with and beat the best in the division. This by todays standards makes Dunne a world champion.

Its certainly better than winning a vacant belt against the 15th ranked fighter in the weight division below.

Goose: Dunne is way better than average and a tad below top 5 in the world at the mo. Things might change come september 26th, we'll see him ranked 5th or 15th give or take. Both of which are well above average.

And for the most part, Dunne would make more than most mma fighters.
    Its a well known fact, boxers purses are bigger than mma fighters.
    MMA cards are often better than boxing cards with better match ups etc. but boxing is where the money is for fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

gmkgreaney wrote: »
    thais dont fight great outside of asia

Not really true, it's not a case of Thai fighters traveling poorly but more a case of the weaker ones having to travel to fight top guys and then being shown up.

Somsak Sithchatchawal certainly didn't do too badly in France when he took the WBA Super-Bantamweight title of Mayhar Monshipour.

Thai fighters often upset the odds in Japan aswell, now yes Japan is still in Asia but it's regarded as being an very tough thing to go to Japan and beat the home country fighter on points. Yet Thai fighters manage this quite a lot, probably more than fighters from any other country.

Poonsawat will come to Dublin in great shape, he'll be prepared both physically and mentally and if he's not at his best he'll be near it. This is his big chance.

I actually think he's going to stop Dunne(I thought Cordoba would aswell however), so Bernard pulling this off would once again be very special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

Goose81 wrote: »
    I can just see you now,some scumbag thinking he knows anything about boxing screaming at a Dunne fight,your a clown.

He is an average at best fighter who will get bashed if he fights any sort of proper champion such as Lopez.He is an average fighter who will be bashed if he fights a proper champion.#

Btw they get paid a **** load more than Dunne will ever get.But you knew that already.

Average fighters are now rated in the top ten in their weight are they?

So you reckon he can now go from an "average fighter" to a "proper champion" in just one fight - thats some step!

"they get paid a **** load more than Dunne" - do they!? Not sure about that - none of the top ten have PPV draw inside the US - the closest being JML. But I think you are underestimating Dunne's earning potential within the SBW division.

Advertisement