Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next for Dunne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

aragiav wrote: »
    Reading your posts you would think Dunne is a no hoper. Is there anyone in the top 15 you can see him beating 100% no doubts?

What, because the top ten is littered with dangerous opponents
    that makes me think Dune is a no hoper?:rolleyes:

Did I not say that Dunne has a chance against Molitor and Munroe?

And, is there anyone who can say that anything is 100 percent and without doubt?

Can I say that Dunne 100 percent beats any man in the top 15?
    Only a fool would say that and a folo would also say that JML would
    beat any man 100 percent in the top 15

Boxing is not a guarantee for any person or fighter. No man
    in any division is a dead certainty to always win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

walshb wrote: »

And, is there anyone who can say that anything is 100 percent and without doubt?

Yet Lopez would dispatch Dunne in a round and Marquez in 4 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Big Ears wrote: »

Does that guy in the red trunks look like a top 5 Super-Bantamweight to you ?, does he look like a guy he would beat any of Lopez, Caballero, Nishioka or Ponce De Leon ?

Vasquez I suppose I'm making assumptions on, but he's had 4 arduous career shortening wars in a row, he's going to have been out of the ring for 18 months at least come his return(rumoured to be September), just like Marquez he's getting quite old for a Super-Bantamweight and he's got the eye problem.

I'm not saying Dunne would beat these guys, but if there was ever the time to have a go at them it's now. There's touger guys at the weight than these guys and you wouldn't get the same reward against all the rest.

That's the first time I gotta a chance to see these clips. I've been reading on other forums about Marquez - and simply put many think he is done, unable to pull the trigger.

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt it was his first fight back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aragiav

So why are you so sure Dunne couldn't beat Vasquez, Marquez or Lopez??? You just contadicted yourself there. If you only give Dunne a chance against Munroe you must not think he is much of a fighter at all, correct?

Am I speaking Chinese. No man is a guarantee, no man, but the odds are stacked against Dunne if he meets Lopez or Vasquez or Marquez or Ponce.
    Would I say that 100 percent they beat him? No, only a fool would be that
    bloody stupid, but I would say that Dunne would be a heavy underdog
    in all bouts. BTW, he also has a chance vs Molitor, if you bothered to read

Nothing to do with contradiction at all. I favor these guys heavily to beat Bernard, but not 100 percent confident, as any strange occurrence
    could happen. Nothing in life is ever a 100 percent bet.

Hey, didn't the Pool come back from 3-0 down to Milan in the 2005 Euro final
    to win. Now, most would never have thought that they could claw back that deficit
    and win. But, they did. Now, Dunne has a similar task in trying to beat
    the top guys, his chances are very very slim, but he has some chance, albeit very small

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    Yet Lopez would dispatch Dunne in a round and Marquez in 4 :rolleyes:

If Dunne met Lopez, the chances are that he loses by KO and early.
    Is this a guarantee? No. But it seems a likely occurrence to me.

If Dunne met Vasquez, I would make Vasquez a heavy favorite and maybe
    Bernard would do better vs Marquez, but he still loses by KO.

It could be 1 rd or 2 rds or 3 rds etc. He loses to these guys I would say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

:rolleyes:

ok fantasy boxing is over for the moment - to the current task at hand, anyone got links to any Poonswaat fights?

at this moment any distant Japanese relatives would be good points of contact

Are you serious? Look, the Cordoba fight itself should tell you that any fighter
    with the punch will devestate Bernard. He was truly and badly hurt and Cordoba is not a puncher, and not close to the aggressive puncher that Ponce or Antonio are, not to mention Israel and Rafael.

Bernard holds a version of a belt, but to me, there are simpy too many men that are far too dangerous and Bernard should try to wriggle out of meeting any of them

Ok just a point to note while trying to balance things here - Cordoba did catch Dunne after a ferocious clash of heads (which to me looked intentional), only then did things change in favor of Cordoba - would Dunne have been caught and hurt if there was no clash of heads?

Also there should be no wriggling, there should never be any wriggling, Dunne has earned his belt, and along with that belt he has earned the right to enter the ring with the top dogs of the division - speculation as to what may happen when he does is open to debate - however he has earned that right to face them on equal terms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Was listening to Barry McGuigan on the Gerry Ryan show promoting the new 'Lord Of The Ring' show and he mentioned that Dunne will be fighting in the O2 in September. Have I missed something? Didn't think he had a fight confirmed and didn't see another thread on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

JokerD wrote: »
    Was listening to Barry McGuigan on the Gerry Ryan show promoting the new 'Lord Of The Ring' show and he mentioned that Dunne will be fighting in the O2 in September. Have I missed something? Didn't think he had a fight confirmed and didn't see another thread on it.

It's not confirmed but Peters only had the option of 3 different dates, 26th of September, 3rd of October and some other date in October were the dates I believe and it has to be one of these.

Apparently the contract Peters sent to the Thai camp were for the 26th of October, but it seems now that Peters make actually be keen on an October date. Anyway, the point is Bernard Dunne will be defending his WBA title, in Dublin(most likely in the O2), late September or early October.

Should all be confirmed within the next few weeks, but you can bet yourself both these boys have started to train quite intensely already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

the waiting game is over

alan, quit the teasing!

What's happening?

Press conference tomoro at 1 - the mighty Dunne is back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Nice one!!!

I just hope that it's not to say that the fight is off....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I just hope that it's not to say that the fight is off....

You think they'd host a press conference at the O2 for that ?
    The only reason they'd do it to say the fight is off, is if some other fight(eg v Vasquez) was on.

Good point, didn't think of that. I just hope it is against the Thai and not some tomato can.
    If against the Thai, then Dunne deserves real credit for taking a dangerous fight.
    I will believe it when I hear it, so much strange **** has been happening in boxing, Khan
    to maybe fight Morales is doin' the rounds....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Wrong tread.

MBC wrote: »
    A bit of topic but "Jason Quigley claimed at least a bronze medal at the European Youth Championships yesterday...........the victory maintains the IABAs sequence of having won medals at every international tournament, including the Olympics Games, since the AIBA World Senior Championships in Chicago in October/November 2007." thats amazing.

Back on topic........the world champs is very tough.......but like always there is quite a lot of favourable people in each draw.........more so than the europeans actually..........The Russians are the heavyweights of the amateur boxing world at the moment, followed closely by Chinese and then the Cubans/kazakhs.

The nation to watch for at these worlds is the host nation.........nearly always the host nation punches above its weight......the Italians have been preparing well for these with a lot of national duals throughout 2009 (France, China, Brazil, Russia, Cuba, Germany & USA since january ).......with 91kg Russo and 91+kg Cammerelle........they are 2 very good chances of gold.

With the Irish team........i think its the strongest we have had in a very long time........not sure if 1 medal would be such a good achievement anymore......because we have been spoiled with all the success of late..........but one thing that we must all remember is that this is the 1st Major SENIOR champs for Sucliffe, Geraghty, McLoughlin and I think Con Sheehan........so for them 4 its gonna be very interesting to see how they adopt.......so may rise to the occasion......so mightn't.

Anyone know if its gonna be on TV or streaming anywhere?

Are you in the right thread?

Seems i left out some details :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Bren why are you always so downbeat & sceptical about Dunne, All i can say is that you wont be disappointed..... you better jump on the bandwagon before it leaves you behind

I'm not downbeat, it's just that with what has been happening lately in boxing with pull outs and injuries etc, I am a little skeptical. Like I said, if he is meeting this guy, fair balls to him. It deserves credit big time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭MuscleShark

Just got text message from the o2 priority ticket sale stating that bernard dunne will defends the title at the o2 Dublin on september 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Just bought four for €130. Section D tiered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

2nd fight in a row where Dunne is taking on a higher ranked opponent in a world title fight, fair play to him. He's putting his belt and so many pay days on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Was this not a mandatory defence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

it's a mandatory yea so it's fight or be stripped of the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JimmyDeMechanic

thegoth wrote: »
    Was this not a mandatory defence

yip it is indeed. just got my tickets, looking forward to it now

joepenguin wrote: »
    2nd fight in a row where Dunne is taking on a higher ranked opponent in a world title fight, fair play to him. He's putting his belt and so many pay days on the line.

So it's the Thai guy?

Credit to Dunne here. He was due an easy defence me thought, and deserved, but
    I am happy it's a real deal fight. Although him fighting a lesser lesser guy may have been
    frowned upon, one couldn't blame him after the tough tough scrap in March.

Surely Dunne can expect more than 50k?
    Old report...
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing-dunne-looks-for-home-comforts-in-title-defence-1844710.html

• Advertisement

I know Bernard has probably been serious training for several weeks now, but it really
    is short notice, announcement wise. Either way, it's exciting and not far away. 4 weeks this Saturday. Usually there is at least 7-8 weeks to wait from the announcement time

Advertisement