Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next for Dunne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

walshb wrote: »
    TKO, No need to talk, the solution is to simply pretend that boxing was never better than it is today!

Boxing is every bit as good now as at any other time Bren, the only reason why anyone says different is because the heavyweights are all eastern europeans, if they where yanks or brits we'd be purring about the whole of boxing.

Its easy to look back on the past and favour the fighters you grew up watching, sure when i was a kid older people would of talked about there generation of boxers and that goes on since the start of boxing, Boxing like all fighting sports is not really mainstream anymore-not like it used to be due to us all becoming "civilised"..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

cowzerp wrote: »
    Boxing is every bit as good now as at any other time Bren, the only reason why anyone says different is because the heavyweights are all eastern europeans, if they where yanks or brits we'd be purring about the whole of boxing.

Its easy to look back on the past and favour the fighters you grew up watching, sure when i was a kid older people would of talked about there generation of boxers and that goes on since the start of boxing, Boxing like all fighting sports is not really mainstream anymore-not like it used to be due to us all becoming "civilised"..

Like any sport "it was always better in my day" Even in the short term we all wish there was a dominant heavyweight like Lewis. When Lewis was champ he wouldnt have handeld a prime Tyson, when Tyson was champ he didnt fight the likes of Ali, when Ali was champ, well it was a pity he never fought Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano... It goes on and on. Divisions have their ups and downs and highlight years. The only reason we dont have as good of quality fights is because of politics and alphabelts.

No doubt the heavyweights are terribly boring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

joepenguin wrote: »
    Dunne gets mentioned in the same sentence as Tyson, Toney, Hopkins and Vasquez, De La Hoya, Kahn and Pacman...

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19639&more=1

just wondering what Roach thinks of dunne. does he rate him at all. Has he given any interviews since the dunne fight or was he asked for a verdict on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Word is the next fight looks like its going to be the mandatory - also rumour that Vasquez may not return - anyone else hear this?

Rob113 wrote: »
    just wondering what Roach thinks of dunne. does he rate him at all. Has he given any interviews since the dunne fight or was he asked for a verdict on it?

Id like to hear what he has to say also about him in the gym and the ring. You can only imagine it would have been in Dunnes interest to train in the wildcard. Then again I believe he can reach his potential with the team thats behind him now.

Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym won the interim wba title. Does he now become Dunnes mandatory or cabs?

• Advertisement

john47832 wrote: »
    Word is the next fight looks like its going to be the mandatory - also rumour that Vasquez may not return - anyone else hear this?

Alls ive heard is that he will be coming back in august / september as a featherweight. Thats what he wants anyway. says a fight with JML would be a good one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭ShaunD

Roach rates Dunne very highly as a boxer and a person, he said in an interview after the Dunne fight that he was delighted for him and he also predicted Dunne to win by knockout!
    He also said that if you don't like Dunne it's like not liking ice cream! (So I guess WalshB dosen't like ice cream that much!)
    I will try to find links to theses articles for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fighting someone like Ponce De Leon or Vasquez would be a bad move for Dunne. The highest skilled fighter he should even think of going after is Rendall Munroe. IMO he should take an 'easy' fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

How about Hatton starves him himself for a few months and fights Barnard Dunn???

Jackeenboy wrote: »
    How about Hatton starves him himself for a few months and fights Barnard Dunn???

He'd eat him whole and wash it down with a trip to the guinness brewery!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ShaunD wrote: »
    Roach rates Dunne very highly as a boxer and a person, he said in an interview after the Dunne fight that he was delighted for him and he also predicted Dunne to win by knockout!
    He also said that if you don't like Dunne it's like not liking ice cream! (So I guess WalshB dosen't like ice cream that much!)
    I will try to find links to theses articles for you.

I assume Roach meant not liking Dunne the person?

If so, then it would be very very hard not to like Dunne from
    what we've sen of him. He's a gentleman!

As a perosn, he's top notch, as a fighter he is not top notch!

"Top notch" would have to be defined here - to me 2 of the 3 below are top notch

1. The pacman's of this world
    2. world champions
    3. the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭ShaunD

Yeah that's what he meant, I know you have no problem with Dunne as a person. I suppose it's good to have your slightly cynical point of view on Dunne to stop us all getting carried away with his recent success!

ShaunD wrote: »
    Yeah that's what he meant, I know you have no problem with Dunne as a person. I suppose it's good to have your slightly cynical point of view on Dunne to stop us all getting carried away with his recent success!

Shaun, like I said, it was Dunne who impressed me on March 21st.

As for rating him, I cannot get all that excited after seeing Cordoba.
    Cordoba did not mpress me and certainly is not what I would consider
    world champion material.

Dunne showed improvements in many areas, whether or not that will
    be enough is still to be seen.

His punch resistance still looks oh so fragile and Cordoba is not
    a heavy puncher.

If Kiko met Dunne again, would a gambler bet
    on Dunne? Any puncher facing Dunne would have
    to be favored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

joepenguin wrote: »
    Id like to hear what he has to say also about him in the gym and the ring. You can only imagine it would have been in Dunnes interest to train in the wildcard. Then again I believe he can reach his potential with the team thats behind him now.

Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym won the interim wba title. Does he now become Dunnes mandatory or cabs?

Only a "regular champion" has a mandatory.

The super champion can hold onto his title for as long as he wants as long as he hold one of the other titles.

I heard this? Okay, I am lost. So, how many guys are claiming to be world champs for the WBA?

We have the real champ, Cab, then Dunne wins a version of Cab's and now this other guy?:rolleyes:

I heard this? Okay, I am lost. So, how many guys are claiming to be world champs for the WBA?

We have the real champ, Cab, then Dunne wins a version of Cab's and now this other guy?:rolleyes:

Let me help you out a bit -
    Caballero is moving up to feather
    B Dunne number 1 - undisputed world wba champion
    dude with the long name, mandatory challenger fights in september

Well holy god!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Let me help you out a bit -
    Caballero is moving up to feather
    B Dunne number 1 - undisputed world wba champion
    dude with the long name, mandatory challenger fights in september

That's a bit of a lie, or misinterpretation of the the truth to be fair.

Caballero is the WBA Super-Bantamweight Super Champion.
    Bernard Dunne is the WBA regular(or Ordinary) Super-Bantamweight Champion.
    Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym is the interim WBA Super-Bantamweight champion, this status if for the ordinary/regular version of the title(Dunne's).

Now Caballero looks most likely to fight Yuriorkis Gamboa and vacate his Super-Bantamweight titles, however his next most likely fight is against Dunne and until a fight between him and Gamboa has been agreed and he vacates his titles, we can't just pretend he's not the WBA's Super Champion anymore.

Here's how it works.
    The WBA Super-Champion has to fight his mandatory every 18 months.
    His mandatory is the WBA regular(ordinary) champion at that time.

The WBA regular champion has to defend his title in a mandatory every 9 months(although not always enforced), this will either be against the man ranked as the #1 challenger, a fighter who's just won an eliminator/series of eliminators(usually involving the #1), or if there is an interim champion in place at the time, the regular champion must defend against him.

What happens when the champions face ?

If Dunne v Caballero happened:
    If Caballero won he would remain WBA Super-Champion, Dunne would lose his regular champion status, and Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym would become regular champion. Dunne would no longer hold a title and there would be no interim champion.

If Dunne won he would become WBA Super-Champion, Caballero would no longer hold a belt and Poonsawat Kratingdaengym would become regular champion.

If Dunne v Kratingdaenggym happened:
    If Dunne won, he would remain WBA regular champion and Kratingdaenggym would lose the interim title.

If Kratingdaenggym won, he would become regular champion and there would be no interim title.

If Caballero v Kratingdaenggym happened:
    If Caballero won, he would remain Super champion and there would be no interim champion. Dunne's situation is unaffected

If Kratingdaenggym won he would become Super-Champion, there would be no interim champion and Dunne's situation would be unaffected.

Another key thing to note is, the reason Caballero is Super Champion is because he won the IBF title. If he were to be stripped of that title for not defending his mandatory(which won't happen for a while as he did it a few days ago), then he would also lose his WBA Super-Champion title with it as the belt is for fighters holding more than one title.

This happend to Juan Manuel Marquez a few years ago, when he was stripped of his IBF title so also lost his WBA Super-Champion title and had to go to Indonesia to fight Chris John for the WBA Regular title.
    However in recent times the WBA seemingly have gone even crazier and just created Super-Champions for apparently no reason. Chris John has never won another organisations title but is super champion while Yuriorkis Gamboa holds the regular title.

I'm gonna take a not too wild stab in the dark and say the reason for that is the WBA saw Chris John had made 10 defences and thought 'hey, it seems reasonable to make him a Super-Champion after 10 defences, then we can have another champion and make even more sanctioning fees'.

The Caballero-Dunne-Kratingdaenggym is only the second time the WBA have had 3 champions in one weight division however.
    The first being David Haye-Virgil Hill-Firat Arslan.

Personally I think they should have 4 champions in every division, and that this policy should be adopted by all the other Organisations.

The WBC is catching up though, naming interim title fights for no reason just like the WBA and having 'Champions in Recess'.

The IBF however are struggling to be a well run sanctioning body, stripping champions all over the place, however they are doing well to have a huge amount of eliminators.

The WBO are the poorest run, never stripping champions, rarely organising eliminators, and relying mainly just on dodgy promoters to line their pockets.

So basically Dunne has to fight Kratingdaenggym by octoner if the wba enforce the rule? This just about leaves time for a voluntary as well. Who do you think his voluntary will be?

• Advertisement

One question - At what point does B Dunne become undisputed wba sbw number 1?

When Caballero officially arranges a feather title fight
    - or when he actaully fights a feather title fight

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Why are ther so many belts in the one weight division in the one organisation?:confused:

Why dont they have one belt in each weight division and the holder is regarded as the undisputed champion of that division in that organisation?

It would make things much easier when deciding who is the best in that division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

the wba are a joke they dont care about boxing all they care about is putting money in the bank there should be 1 title one champion not 3 champions super , interim titles are a load bollox and i wont consider dunne a world chapion until he either fights and beats caballero or if caballero moves up in weight

also the wba have shane mosley as super-champion dos anyone know why, seen as he only holds one belt and just won it off margarito

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

has there been any rumblings from the Dunne camp about possible opponents for his next fight. They must be looking at a couple of options at this stage.

i wont consider dunne a world chapion until he either fights and beats caballero or if caballero moves up in weight

Dont think he rated you either steve!!

has there been any rumblings from the Dunne camp about possible opponents for his next fight. They must be looking at a couple of options at this stage.

Looks like the mandatory will be the next, was talk of Vasquez fight but he may not return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Dont think he rated you either steve!!

dont get me wrong i like benard and think he is a great fighter , i was at the cordoba fight , i just think its wrong to call someone a world champion when there already is a wba world chapion , what if the 4 sanctioning bodies had 3 champions in each division then we would have 12 claiming to be champions and a ring magazion chapion in each division .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ollieo wrote: »
    Why are ther so many belts in the one weight division in the one organisation?:confused:

Why dont they have one belt in each weight division and the holder is regarded as the undisputed champion of that division in that organisation?

It would make things much easier when deciding who is the best in that division.

That's not how a good business is run though is it ?, the WBA is a good business, they know how to maximise profits.
    One question - At what point does B Dunne become undisputed wba sbw number 1?

When Caballero officially arranges a feather title fight
    - or when he actaully fights a feather title fight

Funny way to word that question, basically what your asking is when will Dunne be the 'real' WBA champion.

I'd like to give you a definite answer but the truth is there isn't one, the WBA will act on a case by case basis and any rules they have regarding the issue won't necessarily be followed.

Big Ears wrote: »
    Funny way to word that question, basically what your asking is when will Dunne be the 'real' WBA champion.

Nope - was asking when BD will be undisputable wba world champ -to me he is wba world champ

I was at the fight and ive seen the belt!! :)

No doubt about it!!

• Advertisement

Nope - was asking when BD will be undisputable wba world champ -to me he is wba world champ

I was at the fight and ive seen the belt!! :)

No doubt about it!!

I too saw the fight and the belt, but the little matter of the WBA "Super" champion is playing
    on my mind. As far as I am concerned, 4 world champs is too much, let alone versions of champs in those organisations!

For Dunne to be the legit WC, then he and anyone else in this division should hold
    the ACTUAL belt, not a version of the belt. So, go beat Cab or JML and then I will
    gladly call him the real WC. Even that Japanese guy would be a little more credible.
    That guy holds the actual WBC belt, since Vasquez was relieved/stripped of it!

Something stinks about this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_bantamweight

Advertisement