Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next for Dunne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Unified champ and regular champ - whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

john47832 wrote: »

Hey, why stop there, how about part time champ, Summer champ, Winter champ, Autumn champ or Spring champ? Where does one draw the line?

The point is that the boxing world is all over the place and it's so obvious to see
    from looking at one division where there are 3 WCs in ONE organisation alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

(1)Do you work for the WBA ?

(2) or are you Lennox Lewis ?

I think each sanctioning body should have 6 champions in each division !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Big Ears wrote: »

7? 7? 7? do I hear 7? 7? - 7 at the back of the room! will anyone give me 8? 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I say give everyone a belt, just like the special olympics. Thats probably the best way to go .:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Lads 2 world title holders in a weight division is one too many. There can only be one true world champion in any weight category. Anything else is simply having a world title belt. Dunne has one of the more important ones. The only reason it holds any weight is that he beat the man who beat the man, even though it was a few years ago. It just adds weight to it. Cab is the man at 122 for me unless Vasquez fights at that weight.

Dunnes world title means no less than any of the ibf titles, or the title Witter is going for, or Cottos title.

I seem to be reading a lot of complaints here about 2 wba sbw champions

Does anyone have any other suggestions to an issue of unified belts - or are we all going let chaos prevail and expect a unified champ to fight each organizations mandatory challenger

joepenguin wrote: »
    Lads 2 world title holders in a weight division is one too many. There can only be one true world champion in any weight category. Anything else is simply having a world title belt. Dunne has one of the more important ones. The only reason it holds any weight is that he beat the man who beat the man, even though it was a few years ago. It just adds weight to it. Cab is the man at 122 for me unless Vasquez fights at that weight.

Dunnes world title means no less than any of the ibf titles, or the title Witter is going for, or Cottos title.

joe, the whole man that beat the man applies to the lineal title and in relation to Cordoba and Caballero and Dunne, it's inaccurate. Cordoba beat Caballero in 2004 when neither was ever a champion. This is of little significance

I have to agree that two titles in any org is ONE too many! Now, 3 is being bandied about:rolleyes:

IMO, the man at the weight is JML. I would back him to beat Caballero.

Big Ears wrote: »

1 - No
    2 - No

I just dont see what the big deal is with 2 world champs in 1 organization if there is a unified champ - logically it makes perfect sense

1 - No
    2 - No

I just dont see what the big deal is with 2 world champs in 1 organization if there is a unified champ - logically it makes perfect sense

Forgetting even the world of boxing, what is logical about two WCs?

The whole brilliance and notion surrounding the title of World Champion is that that
    person is the ONE best person in the world at a certain discipline for a certain period
    of time.

Now, in most other sports, the WC is just that. He/she wins the title and nobody
    else can claim it. In boxing, we now have 3-4-5-6 guys claiming it. This is farcical!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Forgetting even the world of boxing, what is logical about two WCs?

Its logical in the context of boxing, with different organizations - if one champion unifies titles

Dont get me wrong - if I had me way I would send in the Dunne to fight Caballero, and if he is still standing when the bell goes in the twelfth then I reckon he wins (with impartial judges of course) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

Think if someone Unifies the belt then the belt that is unified should be taking off. Then someone can challenge for either the unified belts depending on their ranking in each organisation or if they can only challenge for 1 belt because they are not high enough ranked in another then they can do that an unify the belts

joe, the whole man that beat the man applies to the lineal title and in relation to Cordoba and Caballero and Dunne, it's inaccurate. Cordoba beat Caballero in 2004 when neither was ever a champion. This is of little significance

I have to agree that two titles in any org is ONE too many! Now, 3 is being bandied about:rolleyes:

IMO, the man at the weight is JML. I would back him to beat Caballero.

The man who beat the man would be vasquez but all im saying is that because cordoba beat cab a while back that means he is at least on his level... at least. It just adds extra weight to Dunnes title thats all. Not that I rate dunne over cab at the moment but it just means its not any old opponent he beat for the belt.
    Its a selling point for him and a damn good one.

On paper cab is number one at the moment and a fight with JML really decide who is the number one sbw (I really think Vasquez is gone from that division)

So yeah, belts are belts which tend to signify that a fighter is in the top ten in the division.

joepenguin wrote: »
    The man who beat the man would be vasquez but all im saying is that because cordoba beat cab a while back that means he is at least on his level... at least. It just adds extra weight to Dunnes title thats all. Not that I rate dunne over cab at the moment but it just means its not any old opponent he beat for the belt.
    Its a selling point for him and a damn good one.

On paper cab is number one at the moment and a fight with JML really decide who is the number one sbw (I really think Vasquez is gone from that division)

So yeah, belts are belts which tend to signify that a fighter is in the top ten in the division.

Well, a lot can happen in 4 years and like I have said, I wasn't impressed at all
    with Cordoba as a world champion, decent fighter, but WC material? Gimme a break!

He beat Caballero in 2004; maybe then, Cordoba was better, because in 2009, the so called WC gassed it!

Maybe Caballero has vastly improved since 2004. It's all speculation, but what these two did in 2004 is of little interest or relevance to the current state
    of the division

Well, a lot can happen in 4 years and like I have said, I wasn't impressed at all
    with Cordoba as a world champion, decent fighter, but WC material? Gimme a break!

He beat Caballero in 2004; maybe then, Cordoba was better, because in 2009, the so called WC gassed it!

Maybe Caballero has vastly improved since 2004. It's all speculation, but what these two did in 2004 is of little interest or relevance to the current state
    of the division

True, but then again if we hadnt seen much of hatton apart from maywetaher and pac fights then we wouldnt consider him WC material either.

of the division

Caballeros win over ponce de leon was only 2 fights after Cordoba, with de leon close to 100% KO record at the time - now either Caballero vastly improved in 2 fights / or Ponce De Leon wasnt that great at the time :eek: / or Cordoba was awesome then and has degraded since

IMO neither of the 3 above have improved greatly since then or degraded since then - if you minimize Cordobas win over Cab then at the same time Cab's win over Ponce has to be minimized - and on Cabs record thats his biggest win IMO

Caballeros win over ponce de leon was only 2 fights after Cordoba, with de leon close to 100% KO record at the time - now either Caballero vastly improved in 2 fights / or Ponce De Leon wasnt that great at the time :eek: / or Cordoba was awesome then and has degraded since

IMO neither of the 3 above have improved greatly since then or degraded since then - if you minimize Cordobas win over Cab then at the same time Cab's win over Ponce has to be minimized - and on Cabs record thats his biggest win IMO

I aint' minimizing, but more dereferencing it.

Ponce De Leon was never great. One of the crudest fighters ever and Dunne
    with a chin beats this guy. As it stands, Ponce would be favored because he can bang!

I saw Ricardo in his title winning fight against a guy(Perez) who was very ordinary and Cordoba
    looked very ordinary. I even said that he had the style that Dunne could beat.

I said this. Cordoba is not a great fighter IMO. Sorry, Dunne showed me more than Cordoba did on March 21st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭ShaunD

Does anyone know how much money Dunne would be likely to make for his next fight? Is the £200,000 Maloney is offering Dunne to fight Munroe a realistic amount of money? Maloney mentioned again after the Nettey fight that the offer is still on the table of 200,000 or a share of the promotion.
    I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs of the financial side of boxing, is this a good offer?

ShaunD wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much money Dunne would be likely to make for his next fight? Is the £200,000 Maloney is offering Dunne to fight Munroe a realistic amount of money? Maloney mentioned again after the Nettey fight that the offer is still on the table of 200,000 or a share of the promotion.
    I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs of the financial side of boxing, is this a good offer?

He needs to come again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭ShaunD

He needs to come again

Is Maloney's offer based on him promoting the fight? I'm clueless about the promotional/financial side of boxing, can anyone explain what the offer would actually mean to Dunne in comparison to what he could get fighting say his mandatory Kratingdaengym.
    It's looking like it's going to either be the Thai or Munroe for Dunne's next fight, so if the offer from Maloney is not upped, next for Dunne has got to be Kratingdaenggym right?

• Advertisement

ShaunD wrote: »
    Is Maloney's offer based on him promoting the fight? I'm clueless about the promotional/financial side of boxing, can anyone explain what the offer would actually mean to Dunne in comparison to what he could get fighting say his mandatory Kratingdaengym.
    It's looking like it's going to either be the Thai or Munroe for Dunne's next fight, so if the offer from Maloney is not upped, next for Dunne has got to be Kratingdaenggym right?

Not sure - but i do think that if BD does fight Munroe then that will mean the dude with long name has to step aside for the moment - this is any mans language means he will have to pay dude with long name

I'm open to correction here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Caballero is stepping up in weight to fight Yourkis Gamboa. Not sure what this means for his super bantam titles, he may have to relinquish those?
    Should be an unreal fight by the way. Gamboa is seriously exciting.
    Anyway, if Cab stays at a higher weight then it leaves a bit of a power vacuum at super bantam and might give Dunne a chance to pick up another belt.

Not sure if I believe this. If it's true, then fair play to Dunne for having
    "balls," but it's a silly move also.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19762&more=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Dunne wouldbe crazy to take that fight.Would he make as much money fighting Munroe in a sold out O2?

raven136 wrote: »
    Dunne wouldbe crazy to take that fight.Would he make as much money fighting Munroe in a sold out O2?

What would worry me isn't the money, it's the health!

Munroe would be a far easier fight in terms of
    chances to win and to go on. JML will
    devastate Bernard and could do serious damage
    in the process.

Munroe presents a winnable fight, at least a lot more
    winnable that the JML bout.

I expect Dunne in the ring by July or Aug at
    the latest. I am sure we will be hearing very soon
    about the next fight!

Caballero is stepping up in weight to fight Yourkis Gamboa. Not sure what this means for his super bantam titles, he may have to relinquish those?
    Should be an unreal fight by the way. Gamboa is seriously exciting.
    Anyway, if Cab stays at a higher weight then it leaves a bit of a power vacuum at super bantam and might give Dunne a chance to pick up another belt.

I expect a Gamboa KO. Cab is tailor made for Gamboa!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I hope that fight never happens. I dont want Dunne to be hospitalised and badly KO'd within a round or two.

Highly unlikely - dont think he is expecting to fight again until Sept, end of June seems a bit too close

I can see the headlines now "the mighty Dunne takes out Lopez in 4 rounds" :)

• Advertisement

Isnt there something from stopping Dunne unifying with other champs?
    Maybe if cab moves up in the meantime and gets stripped of his super status then they could move ahead with it. Either that or Dunne gives up the belt for the big fight. Boxing scenes little article on it suggests that jaunma isnt 100% even on the bill yet. http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=19857

He's getting his name out there anyway.

Advertisement