Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

molloyjh wrote: »
    Playing in that league myself at the moment. We're a beginners team but they didn't have enough beginners teams for the Tuesday so they suggested we go to the c2 league on the same day. We were told there wouldn't be that much of a difference in standards between the 2. We've been consistantly hammered by teams that are far far better than us - most know the game inside and out.

A partcular company - won't mention any names - has 4 teams in the league and they share around the good players to ensure the best results for the company overall. This has meant we haven't really stood a chance in the matches we play. It doesn't encourage us to come back given that teams can have experienced players in the lower leagues and can swap them around at will. It's been very disappointing overall. If a team really wants to win there is nothing stopping them dropping into a lower league and thrashing all around them. And that just ruins it for others. Some of them are so competitive they won't even, literally, look you in the face. If we come back to tag again it won't be to the itra one. The refs attitude when we raised these issues was really just "ah well that's tough".

Currently having an almost identical experience in a different venue, with one company chopping and changing its players to ensure they win every game. It’s a bit of a joke as most of the teams in our division are at a relatively similar level - the games are at least competitive. But there's one team that is so far ahead of all the teams its ridiculous. Not sure what can be done about it to be honest, I suppose it’s up to the guys themselves to realise they should be playing in a higher league.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi lads,

We have just started a new tag team..6 training sessions done, shorts ordered, shirts on the way!

We are based in a North Dublin City university, all male staff team, 6 of the 7 over 35... Obviously we dont want to be annihilated on our first few outings :D but we would love to get a few proper matches going.

Any offers of challenges or hints and tips gratefully received.

Many thanks
    mdisaint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Zuffer wrote: »
    Pig and Porter, Limerick, July

Is anyone able to do me a favour and tell me the cost for a team to play in the tag blitz at this event? Perhaps someone on here has signed up already.

In all the coverage the event has gotten, no where is the price revealed. Even the team registration site makes you go in blind and register before telling you how much it will be.

I got an email from a mate about this a few days ago and he said it's €350 per team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CommsGirl

Does anyone know of any tag rugby groups running at present in Waterford? For Girls or mixed I dont mind. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Currently having an almost identical experience in a different venue, with one company chopping and changing its players to ensure they win every game. It’s a bit of a joke as most of the teams in our division are at a relatively similar level - the games are at least competitive. But there's one team that is so far ahead of all the teams its ridiculous. Not sure what can be done about it to be honest, I suppose it’s up to the guys themselves to realise they should be playing in a higher league.

Astro have a good policy to combat this in that if there are three leagues, halfway through the season the top two from each league are put together in a new league, the middle two from each league are put together and the bottom two are put together.

Can be aggravating for the top two teams because they have to start playing at the level they SHOULD be at anyway, but seems fair to me.

Having played C level in ITRA last summer and this, i can say ITRA have done nothing imo to vet teams. We are playing teams of a much higher level this year and we are supposed to be in the lowest league.

Ill be going back to Astro next season. (Well im playing ITRA and Astro at the moment, but ill be sticking with Astro).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Pter wrote: »
    Astro have a good policy to combat this in that if there are three leagues, halfway through the season the top two from each league are put together in a new league, the middle two from each league are put together and the bottom two are put together.

Can be aggravating for the top two teams because they have to start playing at the level they SHOULD be at anyway, but seems fair to me.

Having played C level in ITRA last summer and this, i can say ITRA have done nothing imo to vet teams. We are playing teams of a much higher level this year and we are supposed to be in the lowest league.

Ill be going back to Astro next season. (Well im playing ITRA and Astro at the moment, but ill be sticking with Astro).

Cheers Pter. Will have to have a look at Astro in future so. ITRA have managed to set up a league that has sucked all the fun out of it for us and we've no interest in signing up to that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

CommsGirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any tag rugby groups running at present in Waterford? For Girls or mixed I dont mind. Cheers.

Waterpark RFC. Its an IRFU venue (Bud Light Tag). Full up and into its second week but if you're looking for a team, pop down and look for the venue manager, George and ask him for help finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

molloyjh wrote: »
    Cheers Pter. Will have to have a look at Astro in future so. ITRA have managed to set up a league that has sucked all the fun out of it for us and we've no interest in signing up to that again.

Yeah thanks for this, I'll be suggesting Astro to the guys at work the next time. Just to put this into context the team in my league that are far too good won by over 50 points last night (Thankfully not against my team but I was watching the last few minutes) including playing the last few minutes with 6 girls to try and rack up the score and embarrass the other team. They're not winning any friends by laughing at and taking the mick out of the opposition every week.

I know. I play in one astro league and two itra leagues (yes I'm addicted), and in the second Itra league a team won by 75-0

honestly; nothing could be done about that?!?

Plus there is an inconsistency with the refs this year I've found. I loved playing with itra last year; the leagues were closer and everyone had a laugh; i lost games and won games but they were always close. It seems to have changed dramatically this year, sadly

Well thankfully we're not losing by quite that margin. It's more like 25-30 points, but it's that margin 4 weeks in a row. 2 of those against pretty much the same team. Most of the team are just getting fed up - we probably could have done alright in the last game but once they went a few points up heads started to drop at the thought of another drubbing.

• Advertisement

Get in a couple of experienced players for a few weeks if you can. Maybe search the free agents section of the website.

Failing that send me a PM and time permitting, I might be able to get you someone.

Offer is there anyway

Get in a couple of experienced players for a few weeks if you can. Maybe search the free agents section of the website.

Failing that send me a PM and time permitting, I might be able to get you someone.

Offer is there anyway

Cheers Pter, appreciate it. We actually got 2 guys in for the last game so hopefully we'll see an improvement next week. We just need to get everyone up to speed with them. I will keep the offer in mind though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I wouldn't mind playing a bit of tag, if anyone needs another player pm me or something like that.

I can travel to most places in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Chamberlin

Hi,

I am looking to join a tag rugby team in Galway, does anyone know how I go about getting involved? Are there any teams looking for people?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shgavman

If anyone needs an extra player for the UCD league give me a shout. I'd love to get playing again this year.

I've some grade A jokes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lisa85

I am interested in starting tag rugby. Does anyone know of any teams in the Dublin 5 area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

We have 5 lads looking to start a team to play at Barnhall if we can. We especially need girls to join the team (have one or two already). If anyone is interested (male or female), drop me a PM.

Lifts would probably be available from the Celbridge/Maynooth area and also Tallaght.

What dates would the league start and what day are you looking to play....

living in celbridge myself...

(male)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

this is a dangerous sport! have a grade 2 partial tear of my UCL (ligament) in my thumb!! clearly a "non" contact game!!

miss playin though!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

was just talking to a mate of mine who I havent seen in a while and he had broken fingers on each hand from tag match couldnt help but laugh!! Have seen a fair few injuries in tag but mostly down to people slipping and the ground being ridiculously hard in fairness

• Advertisement

was just talking to a mate of mine who I havent seen in a while and he had broken fingers on each hand from tag match couldnt help but laugh!! Have seen a fair few injuries in tag but mostly down to people slipping and the ground being ridiculously hard in fairness

yeah i was goin to tag a guy and i missed his tag and he bent my thumb back as he was running!
    sher the wk b4 chap did a grubber kick as i was gonna tag him and ran straight thru me!! :eek:

Which organisation and venue were you playing?

Which organisation and venue were you playing?

was playin in railway for the thumb injury and ucd rugby astro for the latter incident! eh ITRA /alive outside were the organisers.

Eep...i play in UCD on mondays....hope it wasnt me.

Apologies if it was.

your ok it was a thursday!! :D

Phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Does anyone wear gloves playing tag? I seem to sprain my thumb every time I play and it's often sore for a few days after would like to know if there's a way of supporting it.

I wear them. They don't really offer much support...just make catching the ball a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

dragonkin wrote: »
    Does anyone wear gloves playing tag? I seem to sprain my thumb every time I play and it's often sore for a few days after would like to know if there's a way of supporting it.

Don't bother with gloves, they won't offer any support.
    Go to the chemist and get strapping. Strap your thumb up before each time you play, you will find a guide online how do it. The strapping is re-useable and offers good support if done right. I have sprayed my thumb a lot playing rugby, and strapping it up really gives good support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

Bryn wrote: »
    Don't bother with gloves, they won't offer any support.
    Go to the chemist and get strapping. Strap your thumb up before each time you play, you will find a guide online how do it. The strapping is re-useable and offers good support if done right. I have sprayed my thumb a lot playing rugby, and strapping it up really gives good support

Thanks for the reply. I had a look online and found this guide is that sufficient or do you do anything else?

I also saw this special thumb support which might do the same job and is resuable. Does anyone know a shop in Dublin that would sell them?

Advertisement