Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag rugby

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aidomac

Hi,

Looking for a few more players (male or female) for our touch rugby team, games on Wednesday evening in Terenure college starting this week. Social / beginners, mixed team.

PM for more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

My local team (Douglas RFC, Cork) is running a tag comp, nothing serious just a bit of craic.

Its running for 6 weeks, but we had our first one last night, but anyone is still welcome to join. Its open to 17 and up, men and women. We currently have 6 teams in the comp with aprox 12/13 on each squad.

It runs 7 a-side - half pitch - with rolling subs like 7's.
    Tag shorts needed.

PM if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hi guys I'm moving to Cork in 2 weeks & I'm looking for a C team to join? I'm handy enough, quick and well organised. Anyone need an extra lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Hey,
    We are short one girl for a tag blitz tonight in St.Andrews in booterstown!?
    Any girls want to play? Mixed social standard - Just a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hey guys, is there anyone who could tell me where to get the tags for tag rugby in the Limerick city area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Hey guys, is there anyone who could tell me where to get the tags for tag rugby in the Limerick city area?

elverys in the crescent have them upstairs saw them the other day when i was buying shorts, they prob have them in the city centre shop as welll, also limerick sports store and gleessons sport will more then likely have them

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Hi Everyone,

We have a few teams in Tallaght that are short a female player. The Summer Tag league starts tomorrow Thursday in the Postal, Kiltipper Road.

If you would be interested in joining a team please contact me.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 peter22

Hey, Im looking for a girl player for our team, we're playing in dangan, galway this evening if anyone's interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Anyone seeking a team in a Bud Light Tag (IRFU's tag rugby programme) at this stage is advised to head to the venue in plenty of time and to ask the Venue Manager for help in finding a team. This is a 99.9% successful way to get playing.
    The Venue Manager can be found at the Registration tent at the club.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Whats yere opinion on people "spinning" to avoid a tag?

Saw a guy do it this evening and elbow some girl in the face on the way through.

Seems a bit dangerous for lads running at pace to just start spinning around.
    I know its all within the rules but it looks ridiculous and to this poor girl very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Spinning should be outlawed. We're told as soon as we see someone doing it, to pull them up on it and award a penalty against. The girlfriend got her thumb broken last year because of some guy spinning to avoid being tagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I know it's a bit late but is any team in the South Dublin area interested in a player? I'd be about C grade I reckon and I'm coming back from knee surgery but would be well up for giving tag a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

castie wrote: »

Saw a guy do it this evening and elbow some girl in the face on the way through.

I know its all within the rules but it looks ridiculous and to this poor girl very dangerous.
    It's not allowed in the IRFU run events, as far as I know, but is generally legal in others.

My personal take on it is that I like to see it allowed as long as the spin doesn't result in contact. If you make contact, it should be a penalty against you. My pet peeve is people who crash their hip into my fingers/hand while I'm going for a tag - it seems almost to be a tactic that some people have.

The 360 spin is banned from IRFU tag competition

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

JustinDee wrote: »
    The 360 spin is banned from IRFU tag competition

You can still spin though can't you, just not the full 360???? I'm playing in the ITRA league and it's legal there, unless it results in contact. I suppose it's like a lot of things in team sports. If done right it's fine if not it can be dangerous. Sure I ended up with the biggest black eye I've ever seen after my first week because I clashed heads with someone.

You can turn 180 but as long as there's no contact. A 360 anywhere at any time will result in a penalty against the attacker.

molloyjh wrote: »
    You can still spin though can't you, just not the full 360????

Not in ours. We chopped this move due to the very fact that it stokes contact on-field.

I don't know what ITRA does.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭roseym

I play in ITRA league, just new to tag so haven't mastered the spin yet but the more experienced players all seem to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JamieP

JustinDee wrote: »
    Not in ours. We chopped this move due to the very fact that it stokes contact on-field.

I don't know what ITRA does.

Hi we are playing in the IRFU league in Waterford and our games are due to start tonight, we were advised by an offical ref that we can turn 180 degrees as long as we make no contact. As if you cannot do this, it really limits into how you can off load the ball.

Thequote we recieved is below

"To clarify:

a full 360 spin is a penalty at all times
    a 180 and offload/pass is ok so long as there is no contact

Enjoy the rest of the Tag season.

Peter

Peter Fitzgibbon | Leisure Rugby Referee Officer
    Irish Rugby Football Union | 10/12 Lansdowne Road
    Ballsbridge | Dublin 4"

If this is not correct then there is miscommunication to the ref's and the players, and this really needs to be cleared up. Can we get further communication on this please?

Jamie, that's exactly what Peter told us to allow. A 180 to pass/offload with no contact.

Are you reffing tonight? I'm reffing at 7:45 and playing at 8:30

• Advertisement

Hi Kensutz, no I'm actually playing myself I'm not a ref, but its the same as yourself, we are being told different things and we are trying to train to the rules to what we can do, and what we have to be prepared to defend against.

Honestly with the 360 rule. I didn't see it causing any contact, if anything it created space. If someone tries to spin when he/she is surrounded by players then yeah that should be penalised, but overall the rule I think personally is making it alot harder to change direction on players and can end up causing more injury is my fear with people looking to change direction quickly.

Best of luck tonight by the way :)

JamieP wrote: »
    Hi we are playing in the IRFU league in Waterford and our games are due to start tonight, we were advised by an offical ref that we can turn 180 degrees as long as we make no contact. As if you cannot do this, it really limits into how you can off load the ball

No, its absolutely correct.
    I was still referring to 360 turns. Just wasn't concentrating when posting.

Perfect Justin, thanks for getting back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Frizzaldo

Hi all, was looking into blitzes that are on this summer and found these so far anyone know of any others?

Bud Tag Beach Tag Blitz
    SATURDAY JUNE 26th 2010 PORTSTEWART STRAND, Co.DERRY €195 per team
    SATURDAY JULY3rd 2010 BALLYDAVID, DINGLE, Co.KERRY €250 per team
    SATURDAY JULY 17th 2010 ENNISCRONE BEACH, CO.SLIGO €250 per team
    SATURDAY AUGUST 14th 2010 CURRACLOE BEACH, Co.WEXFORD €250 per team

ITRA Beach Tag festivals
    Saturday 12th June = Sandymount #1 €199 per team
    Saturday 3rd July = Clifden €330 per team
    Saturday 7th Aug = Sandymount #2 €220 per team
    Saturday 14th Aug = Inchydoney €330 per team
    Saturday 28th Aug = Kilkee €330 per team
    Saturday 11th Sept = Banna €330 per team

ITRA Tag Blitzes
    Saturday 17th July Pig n Porter Blitz Limerick

Other Blitzes
    26th of June 2010 2nd Annual Niall Mellon Township Trust Charity Mixed Tag Rugby Blitz in St Mary’s RFC, Templeville Road, Templeogue €250 per team
    14th August 2010 “Bull n Booze” Tag Rugby Festival – Bruff Rugby Club (Co. Limerick) €200 per team
    14th August 2010 Busker Brownes Charity Tag Rugby Blitz Corinthians Rugby Club, Galway €300 per team

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Anyone got any idea who is running the tag at wesley college on Wednesday evenings then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Anyone got any idea who is running the tag at wesley college on Wednesday evenings then?

I think it's Astro.ie, but not 100% sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irishpirate

id like to play tag rugby in the dublin area (sandymount / herbert park / ringsend) but am not sure how i go about finding a team...getting a bit confused between the different leagues and where i should register...if anyone has any tips / suggestions that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Pig and Porter, Limerick, July

Is anyone able to do me a favour and tell me the cost for a team to play in the tag blitz at this event? Perhaps someone on here has signed up already.

In all the coverage the event has gotten, no where is the price revealed. Even the team registration site makes you go in blind and register before telling you how much it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Played for a team in the Astro league in UCD on Tuesdays.

Extremely poorly organised and standard of refs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Played for a team in the Astro league in UCD on Tuesdays.

Extremely poorly organised and standard of refs.

Playing in that league myself at the moment. We're a beginners team but they didn't have enough beginners teams for the Tuesday so they suggested we go to the c2 league on the same day. We were told there wouldn't be that much of a difference in standards between the 2. We've been consistantly hammered by teams that are far far better than us - most know the game inside and out.

A partcular company - won't mention any names - has 4 teams in the league and they share around the good players to ensure the best results for the company overall. This has meant we haven't really stood a chance in the matches we play. It doesn't encourage us to come back given that teams can have experienced players in the lower leagues and can swap them around at will. It's been very disappointing overall. If a team really wants to win there is nothing stopping them dropping into a lower league and thrashing all around them. And that just ruins it for others. Some of them are so competitive they won't even, literally, look you in the face. If we come back to tag again it won't be to the itra one. The refs attitude when we raised these issues was really just "ah well that's tough".

Advertisement