Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Yet another €1.4 billion in losses from bad loans to be expected :rolleyes:

That will take the total to €13.8 billion in less than 4 years

And we still haven't had bad loans tackled on a large scale

Plenty more impairment charges to come

This stock is a dog

If it does turn out to be a dog (which I have my doubts), you've got to admit, it's got some pedigree? Probably the best on the Irish Banks block! :D

85+% private ownership and rising, I think its best days are ahead. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

If it does turn out to be a dog (which I have my doubts), you've got to admit, it's got some pedigree? Probably the best on the Irish Banks block! :D

85+% private ownership and rising, I think its best days are ahead. :cool:

The competition wouldnt be too challenging :D

The competition wouldnt be too challenging :D

I agree but it's worth remembering that BofIrl unlike the other Irish dogs banks is not 'on life support' and dependent on the State for financial support. Woof woof ;)

Also BofIrl is making good business in UK and growing with the Post Office network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Good Movement again today - up almost 6% at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

whos bought some and at what price did you get them at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

tech wrote: »
    whos bought some and at what price did you get them at?

85c unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

85c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Any thoughts on the current BOI situation?

I have 10k to play around with.

Could I also ask, what would be the best/cheapest way to buy BOI shares?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yet another €1.4 billion in losses from bad loans to be expected :rolleyes:

That will take the total to €13.8 billion in less than 4 years

And we still haven't had bad loans tackled on a large scale

Plenty more impairment charges to come

This stock is a dog

Some dog this share, no need to ask you about Pedigree! :D Happy Days Woof Woof.

I only wish there were more dogs like this one.

BTW, how's your hamster?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bought in at 24c ages and ages ago. Pretty much the week after I bought in, the ass fell out of the bank and it dropped a crazy amount, meaning I lost something like 70% of my investment.

Delighted to see it back up. Just wondering do I take what I put in back out and get out, or see how far we can go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

30c will be a huge milestone for the share, and as I type I realise they're not there yet.

I bought in at 22.5c a few months back, but I know others who got in heavily at 8c!

I'm no finance guru, but BOI appear to be the healthiest of our banks, and our economic woes seem to be steadily improving. I'd like to think that the BOI shareprice will reflect our economic performance, so hopefully we can see an increase over 2014, after which I think I'll get out.

I predict well on the way to € 1.00 by end 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

that'd be nice!!

I cant see that happening just yet....but it will start edging up. BOI needs to return to annual profit (before write offs) and start paying divs again before theres a chance of hitting €1 (but that would value BOI at around 32BN EUR

Does anybody think its worth that based on current balance sheet???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

What is the current mkt cap of BOI (extrapolating based on stock availability level at the moment)?

And what was the mkt cap at the peak of the boom?

To view it another way, following all the stock splits, what level in stock today would imply a mkt cap equal to that at the peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Broke 30c this afternoon. If it can sustain that then it could jump to 35c very quickly.

Past valuations, charts, facts or fair price don't seem to matter for the share price of boi for now.

Mr Ross has doubled his money and must be fairly happy with his punt. I wonder if he will start thinking it time to cash in a few chips. Michael Noonan has shares that cost us 31c or so. He might also want to get come cash back soon. One thing for sure this is not a boring share to own.

lucky john wrote: »
    Broke 30c this afternoon. If it can sustain that then it could jump to 35c very quickly.

:confused:

Or to 100c or to 15c or to 0c?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Mr.David wrote: »
    :confused:

Or to 100c or to 15c or to 0c?

So.. reading between the lines.. you think BoI is a risky stock :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Nice run 2013....nice start 2014 ......2015 looking Hugh.......congrats to all the brave, it has been and continues to be, driven by the strength of Irish hope(unstoppable)!!!

(may go up and down too ,not trying to encourage stupidity)

Big well done to all! 30cent passed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

The only way it'll get to 1.00 is if there are share consolidations! The market cap at the moment is 9 billion plus. Can you see BOI being worth 30 billion plus at the end of 2015?

Browney7 wrote: »
    The only way it'll get to 1.00 is if there are share consolidations! The market cap at the moment is 9 billion plus. Can you see BOI being worth 30 billion plus at the end of 2015?

This is a European bank that has a reputation of ALWAYs paying off its debt! It can go to a nervous bond market and get 750,000,000e loan. Now ,it is positioned perfectly to absorb capitol securely.

So you may put a cap on this one but even without flighty capitol, I wouldn't or won't even try to quess until dividends return at least (.But I do see 2e per share at least 2016/7 ,how they achieve it isn't as restrictive as you perceive)

• Advertisement

euroboom13 wrote: »
    This is a European bank that has a reputation of ALWAYs paying off its debt!

Is this a joke? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Weird, its a long time since i've been in this part of Boards.

Made nice money when Lenihan announced NAMA in the Dail on BOI, got out the next day at 3.20ish was in and out of it then for sometime, with plenty of ups and downs.

Bought 66,750 shares in 2 lots value was 10k now its 20k so happy. We decided to buy these and leave them alone for 10 years and thats what i intend to do.

Enjoy the ride people because thats what BOI is

Weird, its a long time since i've been in this part of Boards.

Made nice money when Lenihan announced NAMA in the Dail on BOI, got out the next day at 3.20ish was in and out of it then for sometime, with plenty of ups and downs.

Bought 66,750 shares in 2 lots value was 10k now its 20k so happy. We decided to buy these and leave them alone for 10 years and thats what i intend to do.

Enjoy the ride people because thats what BOI is

Well it could be the ride of a lifetime, and if we die with our boots on, what the heck! Life's too short anyways! So far so great:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

...and if we die with our boots on, what the heck! ...

"Irish banks are very well regulated, Irish banks are very sound.....
    we're going to look back in a few times at the state of Irish banks
    [and ask] how did we not fill our boots with those shares?"

Some dog this share, no need to ask you about Pedigree! :D Happy Days Woof Woof.

I only wish there were more dogs like this one.

BTW, how's your hamster?

Hahahhhaha mate, sad to see such a comment from as a distinguished poster such as yourself

My hamster like Volkswagen which is up 50% since purchase, just over 1 year ago

or CF industries which has increased dividend by 150% (as I predicted) and sp up from $180 to $230 in 7 months

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84665439:)

Or Ford which was up 35% in 3/4 months

Now these gains may not be as big as BOI's

But lets ask one thing, which stock could easily drop 50% in value?

I'll give you a hint, its not Volkswagen, Ford or CF

Oh Lord, you bulls have lost the plot.

The fact you think BOI is going to be worth €32 billion one year from now astounds me

No other words do justice

wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

The fact you think BOI is going to be worth €32 billion one year from now astounds me

wow

They said the end of 2015, which is the most part of two years.

Just saying (grabs coat)

wow

Its a mad world and a.i.b. has valuation of 72B yet a state free safe bank is worth 9b.not saying a.i.b. is worth 72b but am saying I wouldn't cap boi especially when Richie see`s 33billion of new loans by2017.What sp will you allow yourself to believe then????

Hahahhhaha mate, sad to see such a comment from as a distinguished poster such as yourself

My hamster like Volkswagen which is up 50% since purchase, just over 1 year ago

or CF industries which has increased dividend by 150% (as I predicted) and sp up from $180 to $230 in 7 months

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84665439:)

Or Ford which was up 35% in 3/4 months

Now these gains may not be as big as BOI's

But lets ask one thing, which stock could easily drop 50% in value?

I'll give you a hint, its not Volkswagen, Ford or CF

Ah lighten up, the post was intended as bit of fun too, no need to get all defensive. But you make fair comments and congratulations on your success. Afterall, it is 'horses for courses' but if the preferred approach to buying any share is to be prepared for the sky to fall in, well where would we be? Any share is capable of huge falls, and certainly all in theory!

For the moment (and the growing momentum cannot be ignored) BoI remains a speculative play but despite all the negativity it continues to provide outstanding returns for any who has dared to win with it. It is probably defying most written logic and common sense at this point? But it also reminds me of an old Russian saying which goes something like this. In the marketplace, there are two types of fools, one who asks too many questions and the other who asks too few.

Perhaps in time, BoI will become pedestrian but stable. But for the moment, I'll enjoy the run and with great returns from Greencore, the sandwich maker, I will probably buy BMW! :cool:

• Advertisement

Ah lighten up, the post was intended as bit of fun too, no need to get all defensive. But you make fair comments and congratulations on your success. Afterall, it is 'horses for courses' but if the preferred approach to buying any share is to be prepared for the sky to fall in, well where would we be? Any share is capable of huge falls, and certainly all in theory!

For the moment (and the growing momentum cannot be ignored) BoI remains a speculative play but despite all the negativity it continues to provide outstanding returns for any who has dared to win with it. It is probably defying most written logic and common sense at this point? But it also reminds me of an old Russian saying which goes something like this. In the marketplace, there are two types of fools, one who asks too many questions and the other who asks too few.

Perhaps in time, BoI will become pedestrian but stable. But for the moment, I'll enjoy the run and with great returns from Greencore, the sandwich maker, I will probably buy BMW! :cool:

Haha ah your right Sonnen, perhaps I did get a bit too defensive sunflower. That said I don't believe not joining the bandwagon on a penny stock should be seen as a negative, we all know that kind of investing can end in tears

I'm genuinely glad for any gains a normal investor has made in BOI, the perception that someone must lose for me too gain is outdated

But I implore you, Sonnen you know enough about investing to know that all logic has gone out of this stock valuation, it could very easily drop massively

Use a stop or some other mechanism to protect from the downside

Advertisement