Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Looks like November will be the next financial update.

Provided a major oil shock (Russians turning off the gas etc) does not occur in 2014, then I am optimistic that the SP will be in the low to mid 30's, possibly 31 to 33 cent by the end of the year

Here's hoping anyway!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 tv_dinner

ABC101 wrote: »

Provided a major oil shock (Russians turning off the gas etc) does not occur in 2014, then I am optimistic that the SP will be in the low to mid 30's, possibly 31 to 33 cent.

Here's hoping anyway!!

it could just hover around 30 for the next twelve months , kerry groups share price has hovered between 52 and 57 euro for a year , bank of ireland got too far ahead of itself when it touched 38 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Provided a major oil shock (Russians turning off the gas etc) does not occur in 2014, then I am optimistic that the SP will be in the low to mid 30's, possibly 31 to 33 cent by the end of the year

Here's hoping anyway!!

Boi don't do quarterly results. There might be a short ims but FY results in March 2015 will be the next update. Don't forget stress (which they will pass) tests and qe affecting share price before then as well.

lucky john wrote: »
    Boi don't do quarterly results. There might be a short ims but FY results in March 2015 will be the next update. Don't forget stress (which they will pass) tests and qe affecting share price before then as well.

March 2015 it is then.

Any opinions on the QE effect on the SP? Rough ballpark figure? 5%, 10% etc

I suppose it depends for how many quarters Draghi keeps the printing presses rolling?

March 2015 it is then.

Any opinions on the QE effect on the SP? Rough ballpark figure? 5%, 10% etc

I suppose it depends for how many quarters Draghi keeps the printing presses rolling?

Thats a hard question to answer. Banks should benefit nicely because most of the qe is funnelled through them. They should be able to shift bonds of little value for cash and then lend on the cheap cash into the economy making a profit on that transaction. The main benefit should be the Euro falling in value making exporting easier and getting the economy moving. May take a while but there should be a big konck on effect on bank profits from there. How fast any of this builds in to to share price is not easy to predict.

Leaving external factors like Ukraine aside there has to be a more than a fare chance boi will be within touching distance of 40c next March. At that stage I expect them to announce 1billion plus in FY profits. Thats one even two years a head of predictions at the start of this year.

• Advertisement

O.K........

What Happened?????????????????????

BoI up 3.74% today... coming in at 30.5 cent / share????:eek:

Any ideas anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

O.K........

What Happened?????????????????????

BoI up 3.74% today... coming in at 30.5 cent / share????:eek:

Any ideas anyone????

The rise in house prices is making their loan book look better all the time. If the house price trend continues and spreads nationwide, and the ECB stress test is satisfactory, it is likely that BOI will be up to at least 50 cents by the end of the year.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The rise in house prices is making their loan book look better all the time. If the house price trend continues and spreads nationwide, and the ECB stress test is satisfactory, it is likely that BOI will be up to at least 50 cents by the end of the year.

WOW.......double WOW..WOW WOW....

Are you serious... over 50c by year end.....!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

bought boi shares in april 2013 at 15cents. this was my first ever share purchase I put 3500 euro in that I was going to buy my first car with. my plan is to leave the money there until the next construction boom, I imagined it would be 10 years and I was happy with that. do people think what is in store over next 6 years? im in 3rd year in college so might get a loan for my h dip instead of touching this money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

WOW.......double WOW..WOW WOW....

Are you serious... over 50c by year end.....!!!!!
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    bought boi shares in april 2013 at 15cents. this was my first ever share purchase I put 3500 euro in that I was going to buy my first car with. my plan is to leave the money there until the next construction boom, I imagined it would be 10 years and I was happy with that. do people think what is in store over next 6 years? im in 3rd year in college so might get a loan for my h dip instead of touching this money

Forget about share value look at the over all value of the bank. If it hits 50C before year end it will stay static for next 4-5 years. Sell at high 30's buy below 25c/share

• Advertisement

If it hits 50c then it will have a valuation around the same as it had in 2007 at the very top of the boom. Do you think that's achievable in the next 4 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Been monitoring this thread the past week or so and it's made for good reading!

I'm very much on the sidelines looking in and green when it comes to investment. However, I've been thinking with a while that investing in AIB or BOI shares might be worth looking at.

From reading this BOI seems the safer bet, I'm just wondering if people think the share price will jump before November? I've money set aside for holidays etc. that I don't want to touch just yet. So now I'm worried about leaving it too late.

Also a question I have - and I'm aware that nobody has a crystal ball, but what's the projected/expected growth of BOI? By the looks of things they're well on the road to recovery and should continue (hopefully) to grow. What do people think the ideal investment here is? Should I be hoofing 2k or so at BOI and waiting for the shares to go over 50c before scraping some of the cream off the top or should I be playing it safer and chucking 1k into a 5 year investment plan, hoping that BOI continue to go from strength to strength before selling off my €20 shares in 2019 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

D'Agger wrote: »

I'm very much on the sidelines looking in and green when it comes to investment. However, I've been thinking with a while that investing in AIB or BOI shares might be worth looking at.

From reading this BOI seems the safer bet, I'm just wondering if people think the share price will jump before November? I've money set aside for holidays etc. that I don't want to touch just yet. So now I'm worried about leaving it too late.

Also a question I have - and I'm aware that nobody has a crystal ball, but what's the projected/expected growth of BOI? By the looks of things they're well on the road to recovery and should continue (hopefully) to grow. What do people think the ideal investment here is? Should I be hoofing 2k or so at BOI and waiting for the shares to go over 50c before scraping some of the cream off the top or should I be playing it safer and chucking 1k into a 5 year investment plan, hoping that BOI continue to go from strength to strength before selling off my €20 shares in 2019 :pac:

What you are looking for is collective wisdom ,to reassure your investment!

Dangerous question because you will only get a popular answer and that's nearly always in opposition to wisdom.

BUT if you are prepared to loose as well as win then go for it(most boi gamblers are sitting on there holiday fund for 10yrs,you will fair a little better thou), otherwise take a holiday!

Buying stocks is gambling, and you should only gamble with money you don't need.

There are costs to buying shares, and 2000 euro is not much.

But if you are a novice and want to learn then you just have to jump in at some stage. I started out with small amounts, ie 2k etc, learnt some of the ropes, won on some stocks, got burned badly on others.

Just stay alert and don't invest large amounts unless you are really sure!

Be aware though, it can be addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

ddoylers wrote: »
    Very new to stocks and shares. And very green in my knowledge. Ave 1000euro to invest. Thinking boi. How do I go about it?
    All help much appreciated.

Open a DavySelect online account. The fastest way to do this if you are in the Dublin area is to go into their office on Dawson street. You'll need ID, a utility bill and your PPS. You can lodge money at the office or through bank transfer. You have to have an Irish bank account as well. A trade will cost you €20. Very straightforward and easy system to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Buying stocks is gambling, and you should only gamble with money you don't need.

But if you are a novice and want to learn then you just have to jump in at some stage. I started out with small amounts, ie 2k etc, learnt some of the ropes, won on some stocks, got burned badly on others.

This is what I'm thinking - tbqh I think the stage is set for me - I'm 26, single with a while, I'm hoping to make a jump in salary in October which should have me in a comfortable enough position to invest some money and as you have said - small amounts starting off - I'm a fairly cautious individual!

While obviously making money is the goal and preferably in the short term - I've no problem writing off some funds for a few years in the (calculated) hope that a long term investment will pay off - with BOI I get the feeling that if I chuck 2k or so at it and leave it for 5 years then there's profits to be made.

I don't want to drag the thread OT any further so I'll be looking into the stickys on what to know/read up on - if anybody has any reading materials or tips then PM by all means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

+ 1

correction:

Buying stocks is gambling, and you should only gamble with money you can afford to loose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Forget about crazy valuation in euro's unless BOI combines share it should not reach a value of over a 50c in the next 5 years. At 30c/share it is values at 12 billion I think. You have to remember that it did two rights issues and Wilbur Ross and the gocernment got a chunk of new shares as well. My own philosophy is that at somewhere under 30c/share it is undervalued and that above 35c/share it is over valued at present.

Long term what is it worth while at 40c/share it is reachinfg boom time values you have to remember it is the only bank standing on it own two feet except KBC. In the last few years, RABO(ACC Bank), Bank of Scotland etc have all exited the market and Irish Nationwide and EBS have been subsumed ito other banks and we will not speak about Anglo Irish. We are left with the credit unions which I think will take over a lot of the smaller lending and the pillar banks.

AIB is well over valued if you value it at the same value of BOI it share should be worth between 1c-2c/share yes that is 1c-2c. Ulster bank is looking for a way out of Ireland and could be amaglated with PTSB. So then there is BOI.

As it is the only real banking share that is in play one has to be careful, however I buy on weakness but donot expect to make a fortune.

I am not a stock broker or a professional so take any advice with a pinch of salt. As in Hill St Blues lets be careful out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

This is what I'm thinking - tbqh I think the stage is set for me - I'm 26, single with a while, I'm hoping to make a jump in salary in October which should have me in a comfortable enough position to invest some money and as you have said - small amounts starting off - I'm a fairly cautious individual!

While obviously making money is the goal and preferably in the short term - I've no problem writing off some funds for a few years in the (calculated) hope that a long term investment will pay off - with BOI I get the feeling that if I chuck 2k or so at it and leave it for 5 years then there's profits to be made.

I don't want to drag the thread OT any further so I'll be looking into the stickys on what to know/read up on - if anybody has any reading materials or tips then PM by all means!

Me too. I've just bought 30,000 shares and hope to raise that to 100,000 next year. I'm happy to leave them for 10, 15 maybe even 20 years. That will be my retirement on some Caribbean island sorted! Davy have a branch in Cork as well if you decide to go with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Forget about crazy valuation in euro's unless BOI combines share it should not reach a value of over a 50c in the next 5 years. At 30c/share it is values at 12 billion I think. You have to remember that it did two rights issues and Wilbur Ross and the gocernment got a chunk of new shares as well. My own philosophy is that at somewhere under 30c/share it is undervalued and that above 35c/share it is over valued at present.

Long term what is it worth while at 40c/share it is reachinfg boom time values you have to remember it is the only bank standing on it own two feet except KBC. In the last few years, RABO(ACC Bank), Bank of Scotland etc have all exited the market and Irish Nationwide and EBS have been subsumed ito other banks and we will not speak about Anglo Irish. We are left with the credit unions which I think will take over a lot of the smaller lending and the pillar banks.

AIB is well over valued if you value it at the same value of BOI it share should be worth between 1c-2c/share yes that is 1c-2c. Ulster bank is looking for a way out of Ireland and could be amaglated with PTSB. So then there is BOI.

As it is the only real banking share that is in play one has to be careful, however I buy on weakness but donot expect to make a fortune.

I am not a stock broker or a professional so take any advice with a pinch of salt. As in Hill St Blues lets be careful out there.

Good advise, but...

On the way down bloggers were putting similar prediction, with strong conviction, that future lows were unreachable.

So never say never, Europe, china, America and England are all at a crossroads and one that could change all predictions.

So it is good to have reasonable advise but refrain from trying get egg on your face with unnecessary price limits and targets ,that are only relevant to today's market place!
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

zetalambda wrote: »
    Me too. I've just bought 30,000 shares and hope to raise that to 100,000 next year. I'm happy to leave them for 10, 15 maybe even 20 years. That will be my retirement on some Caribbean island sorted! Davy have a branch in Cork as well if you decide to go with them.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but in 2007 when BOI had a market cap of 18 billion, it had just under 1 billion shares in issue. Today it has over 34 billion shares in issue.
    Currently bank of ireland is worth 9.7 billion, or in 2007 terms, a few cents over 10 euro a share.
    If we're to see the heady heights of 2007, when the bank was worth 18 billion, we'd need a share price of 55.9 cent a share.....you might want to make alternative retirement plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

euroboom13 wrote: »
    So never say never

+1

here's my 2 cents:

..People warned ( just read few pages back from this topic ) not so long time ago that 10c was way overvalued price for BKIR.

I'm not a doctor ,but todays share price seems to hit already 30c and more good news should be on the way..Hopefully less bad news.Nobody cares to divide some billions of euros with amount of the shares issued..Its irrelevant info for the little people - matters only if you are a big shot like Ross or another serious investor who ( by the way ) never post his/her thoughts on boards.ie

Don't be afraid to gamble , but use only money you can afford to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but in 2007 when BOI had a market cap of 18 billion, it had just under 1 billion shares in issue. Today it has over 34 billion shares in issue.
    Currently bank of ireland is worth 9.7 billion, or in 2007 terms, a few cents over 10 euro a share.
    If we're to see the heady heights of 2007, when the bank was worth 18 billion, we'd need a share price of 55.9 cent a share.....you might want to make alternative retirement plans.

I noticed that the current market cap of AIB is 45 billion.:confused:
    This does not seem to make much sense compared to BOIs market cap of 9.7?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I noticed that the current market cap of AIB is 45 billion.:confused:
    This does not seem to make much sense compared to BOIs market cap of 9.7?

Is it 0.01% or 0.02 % that's in issue, the rest held by the state. That's what is behind the market cap of aib. I think the gov. Value they're 99.8/9 % share at around 5 or 6 billion.
    Says it all really.

Haven't a clue who's buying them, but I'm going to guess its a mixture of investors trying to pump and dump and gullible idiots thinking they're 9 cent now, they'll be worth 18 euro in a few years time and I'll be a multi-millionaire.

When I bought into boi in 2009, I was one of those gullible idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭wired117

Share price is a rollercoaster, proxy measurement of greed in Ireland. Money to be made but dont see 50 cents as possible unless they buy back shares.

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well gambling is not just unique to the Irish..every nation likes a flutter... apart from Saudi Arabia ( I suppose):pac:

When I use the term 'Gambling'... what I am saying is that once the money leaves your hands... and passes into the hands of somebody else, whether that be a savings deposit in a bank, bonds or ETF or stocks etc... there is a risk... even if it is 99% certain... and 1% unsure... there is still a risk, however small.

Look at Cypress...haircuts on savings deposits, Argentina bondholders.

Yes there are blue chip stocks and the like... but look at Royal Imtech share price.

A 100 year old company... based in Holland for so long it it was awarded the name ROYAL.

Massive accounting scandal.... and it is uncertain if it will survive. Not too long ago...trading at nearly 20 euro... now down to 37 cent, and facing a 600 million share dilution in October if the shareholders agree.

For every stock you hold up as a major success, johnson & johnson etc... somebody else could hold up a pup.

I met a chap last year... lost over 1 million pounds on buying Baltimore Technologies back about 14 years ago.... Somebody put the Dot into Dot com and then somebody else pulled the Dot out.

That guy could have thrown himself in the river... but he didn't... he got back on his feet again and started working, will he ever get back up to a million again....probably not, but who cares... he is back in the game on his feet.

The world has no shortage of A**holes... that is why Hell exists...(not sure about a heaven) ... but definitely Hell exists... after all where else are these A**h**es going to go when they die? I mean there has to be somewhere special for these people.

With stocks... you need to be careful, no shortage of snake oil salesmen... but if you follow basic rules... diversification being just one, compound dividend investing...you can make good money......but there is always a risk.

I'll be honest...I have made money....but I have also lost... but I'm still up overall and I am enjoying it.

I would not mind getting into Forex... spot forex...perhaps next year.

wired117 wrote: »
    50 cents as possible unless they buy back shares.

Share buybacks... yep that was what I had in mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 sperm_whale

thats an incredibly broad brush statement though not that surprising as irish people seem only to think about property when it comes to investing , most americans own stocks where as a small minority of irish people own direct shares , buying stocks is no more " gambling " than buying an investment property

it can be depending on how you approach it but anyone who invests in a private pension is in reality buying stocks , provided you are willing to play a long game , buying stocks is a very prudent thing to do as inflation will eat away at savings

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 sperm_whale

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    +1

here's my 2 cents:

..People warned ( just read few pages back from this topic ) not so long time ago that 10c was way overvalued price for BKIR.

I'm not a doctor ,but todays share price seems to hit already 30c and more good news should be on the way..Hopefully less bad news.Nobody cares to divide some billions of euros with amount of the shares issued..Its irrelevant info for the little people - matters only if you are a big shot like Ross or another serious investor who ( by the way ) never post his/her thoughts on boards.ie

Don't be afraid to gamble , but use only money you can afford to loose.

the thing about bank of ireland when it was at 10 cents is that at that point , there was still a possibility that it would have to be nationalised outright , once wilbur ross put 300 million of his own money into the bank , it was the green light for everyone else to know the bank was not going to be nationalised

permabears always think every company ( or any asset ) is overpriced ( there is an entire site dedicated to those cranks - property pin ) but its still important to realise that bank of ireland is never going to be 5 euro again , let alone 18 euro , its whole price structure has changed

Advertisement