Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Like for example...

The ftse 100 is the top 100 companies on the ftse.

Can I buy a share in that? In the ftse 100?

Again, sorry for being such a noob

As mentioned by q v an exchange traded fund ( etf. ) would suit you. There has been a couple of good threads and post on the subject on here over the last while. Have a look back at them and you will find the info you need there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

An etf. Ok great.

So say I buy into an etf. I assume the company that has set up the etf takes commission off me or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 spear_mint

An etf. Ok great.

So say I buy into an etf. I assume the company that has set up the etf takes commission off me or something?

correct , the main ones are ishares and vanguard , vanguard are cheaper but ishares have a broader range

if you just want a broad based one ,vanguard cannot be beat

odd1 wrote: »
    ETF's are in vogue at the moment on quiet a few threads, so I Imagine commissions are quiet good.

they,ve been popular for near a decade and around for fifteen years

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Im in the same boat at the moment. How do I actually buy into these?
    Im with AIB/goodbody and they dont seem to have any of these (maybe one)

• Advertisement

I bought into an etf yesterday.

Get the stock symbol, or do a stock search for ETF and you'll get a list of them

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

I bought into an etf yesterday.

Get the stock symbol, or do a stock search for ETF and you'll get a list of them

I did but it seems like goodbody/aib dont do most vanguard.
    Who did you buy through? Which broker?
    Which ETF did u buy?

I use tddirectinvestment.

I bought an etf that tracks the ftse 250

I am planning to buy into another tracking the nasdaq 250

Disclaimer - I'm a complete noob. But I figured it out this morning! There are far more experienced people posting here

I use tddirectinvestment.

I bought an etf that tracks the ftse 250

I am planning to buy into another tracking the nasdaq 250

Disclaimer - I'm a complete noob. But I figured it out this morning! There are far more experienced people posting here

most people dont know half enough about investing but if your scope is broad , your risk is spread , after that you just require patience

i made big money on bank of ireland and groupon last year but ive lost a fair bit on both in 2014 , been buying stocks since early 2012 , had i simply stuck every cent in the S+P ,id be as well off , in order to trade individual stocks correctly , you need to understand charts , ranges , etc , its fine getting out with a nice profit but then you have the headache of choosing when to get back in , eventually you realise that " buy and hold " is the best stategy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

spear_mint wrote: »
    its fine getting out with a nice profit but then you have the headache of choosing when to get back in , eventually you realise that " buy and hold " is the best stategy

Yeah I would tend to agree.... however I would also advise getting out at a loss if you know the company is continuing to go down and down.

One example.... Royal Imtech....I took a loss when I sold at 1.4 euro... they have continued down to 0.62 euro and I believe they will continue down lower.

I held on as long as I could.... but eventually I had to swallow my pride and get out before it became a total loss.

BoI down over the last few weeks.... and may continue to go down some more... but I am going long on BoI as I believe the fundamentals are all heading in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm going. Dry long on boi. Value has been dropping recently but in a decade or so I think there will be decent money made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 country_mouse

bank of ireland dipped under the support line of 24 cents yesterday , now " experts " often say that an intra day price is unimportant and the stock finished the day above support but i wouldnt be surprised if bank of ireland dips to 20 cents in the coming few months , wilbur ross only got out at 26.5 cents , seems unlikely an incredibly successfull investor would sell if he thought the share was going to rise back above 30 cents this year , its not like his risk today should be greater than when he first bought in at ten cents in 2011 , back then , many thought nationalisation was a possibility , its not unheard of for stocks to drop 50% while being ok , apple dropped from around $ 705 in 2012 to a low of $350 or thereabouts around this time last year , its now almost back to its all time high if you work out the recent stock split

bank of ireland went too high ( too quickly ) to 38 cents and 50% of that price is 19 cents , could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

bank of ireland dipped under the support line of 24 cents yesterday , now " experts " often say that an intra day price is unimportant and the stock finished the day above support but i wouldnt be surprised if bank of ireland dips to 20 cents in the coming few months , wilbur ross only got out at 26.5 cents , seems unlikely an incredibly successfull investor would sell if he thought the share was going to rise back above 30 cents this year , its not like his risk today should be greater than when he first bought in at ten cents in 2011 , back then , many thought nationalisation was a possibility , its not unheard of for stocks to drop 50% while being ok , apple dropped from around $ 705 in 2012 to a low of $350 or thereabouts around this time last year , its now almost back to its all time high if you work out the recent stock split

bank of ireland went too high ( too quickly ) to 38 cents and 50% of that price is 19 cents , could happen

BOI is not falling in isolation. The ISEQ and the markets have droped right accross Europe. Maybe it will drop below 20c and maybe not. Below 20c will be a really good buying opportunity. Penny shares tend to drop and rise substancially over short periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

Moving again, bout time..... good luck...............25.8c

Hmmmm.... the Ukranian situation and MH17 really has given the markets a beating over the last few days... things looking up a bit today.

I wonder at what price the Irish Govt will start selling at... and will this put more upward pressure on the stock price?

Anybody any thoughts about when Dividends will commence?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Gman1987

I'd say the report out today on house prices help to push this one up. Good to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 investorboy

ABC101 wrote: »

I wonder at what price the Irish Govt will start selling at... and will this put more upward pressure on the stock price?

QUOTE]

How would selling push up a stock price?

Bit of positioning before half year results on August 1st. There should be a little run up until then but its been so volatile lately nothing is sure.

ABC101 wrote: »

QUOTE]

How would selling push up a stock price?

I'm guessing.... surmizing etc... that markets see LESS Govt ownership of a stock as a good thing. The attractiveness of a stock can be increased as Govt populist meddling is removed / reduced.

For example sometimes a company has to lay off thousands of employees, set a new direction, introduce short term pain for the longer greater good of the company.

If a Govt has 15 or 25% of the shares,,, then it may not want to do this... as it will hurt the Govt populist vote with the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ddoylers

Very new to stocks and shares. And very green in my knowledge. Ave 1000euro to invest. Thinking boi. How do I go about it?
    All help much appreciated.

• Advertisement

ddoylers wrote: »
    Very new to stocks and shares. And very green in my knowledge. Ave 1000euro to invest. Thinking boi. How do I go about it?

The fastest way to lose friends / make enemies... is to give advice on which stocks to buy!!:o

You require to set up a trading / custody account i.e. Goodbody, Davy, or others like Saxo bank, Fidelity, TD ameritrade...

Make sure you do your research with fees, commissions, annual levies etc. You would be surprised at how expensive some are compared to others.

Different brokers can have different access to various markets etc.

ddoylers wrote: »

Been honest 1000euro is very small if you want to buy shares. If your sure its shares you want than dont bother with opening an account. Fees will cost you too much. Just buy them as a once off transaction. Depending on where you that it could cost you up to 20% of the 1000. Thats why it might not be the best way to invest your money.

If you live anywhere near mullingar there is a financial firm there that will complete the transaction for you for 60euro plus tax. I'm sure there are other places similar in other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

lucky john wrote: »
    Been honest 1000euro is very small if you want to buy shares. If your sure its shares you want than dont bother with opening an account. Fees will cost you too much. Just buy them as a once off transaction. Depending on where you that it could cost you up to 20% of the 1000. Thats why it might not be the best way to invest your money.

If you live anywhere near mullingar there is a financial firm there that will complete the transaction for you for 60euro plus tax. I'm sure there are other places similar in other towns.

My first share purchase was 1k and sold 18 months later for 2.3 k. I was using it as a learning experience.
    Campbell O Connor charged me 25 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

€1300 return before tax still better than putting it into a deposit a/c

My first share purchase was 1k and sold 18 months later for 2.3 k. I was using it as a learning experience.
    Campbell O Connor charged me 25 euro

How did the second purchase go? Are C.O'Connor still charging 25euro? That's excellent value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ddoylers

Its a lottery I know but going to take a punt on boi. Leave for a yr or 2 then hopefully €€€.
    Thanks to all above for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

That's my boy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Seamus1964 wrote: »

I would like to think that it will be hovering in the low 30's by the end of the year. BoI is on the road to larger profitability.... all I can see is nothing but good news for the bank in the medium term.

• Advertisement

Finally back to where I bought in at 28

Advertisement