Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Bah. Stupid... "brape"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

banquo wrote: »
    Bah. Stupid... "brape"?

Very conservative brape. They self-censored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Aw man, these 2 and a half weeks off are not everything I expected them to be, I am so bored! Most of my friends are back in college by now or have exams. I actually look forward to my sister coming home from school these days. :rolleyes:

I know that feeling! I've been off for a month now, and two more weeks to go. I had to go out and get a job, I was that bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

The only times I've ever been bored in the entire universe of time has been in work or school, i.e. places where I can't just do what I'm interested in doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

WE BUILT THIS CITY, WE BUILT THIS CITY ON ROCK AND ROOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Geologically speaking every city is built on rock. Roll would have to be endemic to an individual location

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

How so Joe wrote: »
    I know that feeling! I've been off for a month now, and two more weeks to go. I had to go out and get a job, I was that bored.

The past few days have consisted of not much else other than tea and Temple Run. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Wait, is permafrost rock? I'm sure there's cities built on permafrost (and breadrolls... doesn't have the same ring to it though). Sand as well, Dubai maybe? Bits of Dubai certainly.

On a completely different note, there might be a birthday-shaped occurrence in the relatively near future. I was hoping to appropriate a Kindle. Anyone know if PDFs from JSTOR display with any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

What about this for a Art Installment? NUIM; start an exhibition!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mickstupp wrote: »
    Wait, is permafrost rock? I'm sure there's cities built on permafrost (and breadrolls... doesn't have the same ring to it though). Sand as well, Dubai maybe? Bits of Dubai certainly.

On a completely different note, there might be a birthday-shaped occurrence in the relatively near future. I was hoping to appropriate a Kindle. Anyone know if PDFs from JSTOR display with any problems?

Download Calibre and it transfers them into the mobi format used for the kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

You can also use PDFs on kindle, but sometimes they can be a little small.

As turdyturd said, convert to mobi, but be careful with certain symbols. For example musical notation or japanese characters don't convert well.

On that note, I frickin love the kindle. Never thought I'd say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

DB21 wrote: »
    Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday...

You really need the music to go along with it,

Otherwise It just sounds like your mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

One of my biggest regrets in life* is not being in the common room at that moment :p

*may not be factually accurate.

One of my biggest regrets in life* is not being in the common room at that moment :p

One of my biggest regrets is the exact opposite of yours.

People still make this joke every. single. Friday. I can't get through a Friday without some idiot posting "What day is it?" on my Facebook page. A few weeks ago we all got in the car and someone asked me "Are you happy with your choice of seat, Rob?"

All will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Seriously if someone posts that vid again, I will ban them for eternity.

I'll up for a laugh as much as the next person,
    but that song is the root of all evil.

Now let's make the last days of this thread worthwhile and not pander to some pop culture tribute nonsense.

Root of all evil me arse. It's a shinning example of a person's right to do what they want in life ie get 'down' on Friday.

......ye bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How so Joe wrote: »

:O that is boredom

in unrelated news, did everyone remember to get down today ?

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Now let's make the last days of this thread worthwhile and not pander to some pop culture tribute nonsense.

He says about a thread entitled "I can haz general discussion?"
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

The question isn't important enough to start a new thread, so I'll stick it here -

We all know the Spanish students that descend on the college every summer. Can someone tell me which office or department is responsible for organising their stay at NUIM?

Jaysus, is there really that much hate for Friday? It's a perfect example of how popular music works, how anyone can write and awful song and have it take over the world. And anyone even remotely interested in music should realise that it isn't worth any sort of bother at all. Why waste all that energy hating something so bland, a song that fulfills its role so well and doesn't pretend anything more than what it is, when you can hate something that's actually bad?

Like Muse.

I should clarify.

Rebecca Black knows Friday is an empty, forgettable pop song that's completely redundant after a first listen, and she doesn't try for anything more than that. She's pretty clever about it too:

While Muse like to act like the biggest ****in' rock bastards in the world pushing music as far as it can go, along with lasers and robotic stages and mirrored guitars and whatever the **** else they have, and what do they have to show for it? Riffs, and guitar solos, and big refraining choruses, and traditional tonality, and loads of other stuff that everybody ****in' else has. And even when they have an honest go at sounds different and pushing the boat a little (imo they do it best on Butterflies and Hurricanes) they just end up ripping off Rachmaninoff.

Rant over. But I do like a good rant now and then :pac:

Oh btw I've been drinking beer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

I'm actually not sure if your post or rebecca's video thing is serious or taking the piss .

If she was joking then respect cos that was actually pretty funny, if she was serious then......just no........no.

Columbia wrote: »
    The question isn't important enough to start a new thread, so I'll stick it here -

We all know the Spanish students that descend on the college every summer. Can someone tell me which office or department is responsible for organising their stay at NUIM?

The International Office.

Columbia wrote: »

Its actually an outside company, Link
    But they book rooms and sort out food and such via Maynooth Campus - Conference and Accommodation

wonton wrote: »
    I'm actually not sure if your post or rebecca's video thing is serious or taking the piss .

If she was joking then respect cos that was actually pretty funny, if she was serious then......just no........no.

Yes, obviously she was being serious...

Man I need to study some Mahler! How unbelievably micro he was within the hugeness of his work--its really stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Yep I have to agree, Mahler rules!
    I've the score to Das Lied von Der Erde, fantastic!

• Advertisement

Maximalism really is beginning to appeal to me tbh. Bit of a luxury but wow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement