Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

mickstupp wrote: »
    So get a reading list and start! :p
    It makes the semester a little easier when you've come across the material already. Bit of a head start. I was thinking of doing my PH dissertation before going back... or all the reading/notes for it at least. Meaning I won't have that hanging over my head during the year, and I'll be able to give it proper attention, get a (hopefully) very good mark. One less thing to worry about next year.
    Word of warning though... if you're going to be in the library for any length of time, bring a jumper, place gets very cold when it's not full of people.

I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be doing for next year seeing as it's my second time doing it, so I guess I could start on that :pac:

Good idea to get a start on your thesis though, from what I see it takes up a lot of time. It's hard to come up with a topic too, cuz stuff you think will work for it invariably doesn't. Not looking forward to actually having to do mine this time :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Still hungover from Saturday. Duddy can back me up on how truly messy that night was. Think I'm finally done washing the sand from my hair!
    BEFORE
    Beach-Cat-002_edited-492x800.jpg
    AFTER
    1101402070drunkcat3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

Could anyone identify the fonts on this ballot paper for me? Would be much appreciated :D

http://www.tcd.ie/Political_Science/staff/michael_gallagher/Wicklow2002a.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

CnaG wrote: »
    Could anyone identify the fonts on this ballot paper for me? Would be much appreciated :D

*calls electoral fraud office*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Going to be in Maynooth on Tuesday to hand in a few cvs and look for accommodation. Is there any point with regards the cvs?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

K4t wrote: »
    Going to be in Maynooth on Tuesday to hand in a few cvs and look for accommodation. Is there any point with regards the cvs?!

You actually read my mind... I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I'm about to print off an application form for Tesco! Never thought I'd say that!

You actually read my mind... I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I'm about to print off an application form for Tesco! Never thought I'd say that!
    lol Ya I'm going to try the supermarkets, don't have any experience in bar work unfortunately so that counts the pubs out! Be nice to see the place again!

Stupid question... How does one know if one is good enough to give grinds?

I was considering giving Spanish grinds to secondary school students (or perhaps 1st years). A couple of people have said it to me but I don't know if I'd be good enough to charge people for it. It was actually a Spanish speaking friend that put the idea in my head.

I got a B1 in the Leaving Cert and straight 68's in all of my Spanish language exams this year. Part of me is saying "Yeah, go for it!" because I could look up the topics before each grind and make sure I know enough for it, but part of me is saying, "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MO-FO, CHARGING POOR, INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR YOUR IMPERFECT SPANISH?!"

I'm pretty close to almost being fluent when I'm speaking (if that makes any sense) but when i don't think about it, it's the small niggly bits that get me.

lol Ya I'm going to try the supermarkets, don't have any experience in bar work unfortunately so that counts the pubs out! Be nice to see the place again!

I've no experience in bar work either. Plenty in restaurants but since I'm working in a restaurant at the moment (again) I'm remembering how much I hate people, and that's not good for my health or sanity.

Waitresses are people too!

I've no experience in bar work either. Plenty in restaurants but since I'm working in a restaurant at the moment (again) I'm remembering how much I hate people, and that's not good for my health or sanity.

Waitresses are people too!
    Haha ya I'm working in a hotel myself, trust me I understand the pressure and hard-work involved! I'd love a straightforward job stacking shelves in a supermarket for a few hours the odd evening!!

• Advertisement

Haha ya I'm working in a hotel myself, trust me I understand the pressure and hard-work involved! I'd love a straightforward job stacking shelves in a supermarket for a few hours the odd evening!!

I'm fed up of greasy plates, wasting food and people who think that it's acceptable behaviour to click your fingers if you want someone's attention. The sickening part of it is that every wage cheque I get goes straight into trying to pay off the loan I have with the credit union (€3000) so that in a few weeks I can go back to them and ask for another €3000 to keep me going through this year!

I just realised that two of the modules that are compulsory to the subjects I'm doing next year (SPA201 and MD202- Spanish and Media Studies) are both on at 2pm on a Monday.

I wonder if Dumbledore has a spare Time-Turner in his office or if he gave the last one to Hermione... Maybe Aengus will have one in his office, he seems like the type.

I'm fed up of greasy plates, wasting food and people who think that it's acceptable behaviour to click your fingers if you want someone's attention. The sickening part of it is that every wage cheque I get goes straight into trying to pay off the loan I have with the credit union (€3000) so that in a few weeks I can go back to them and ask for another €3000 to keep me going through this year!
    This! Ya most of mine will be going to my parents. Think of your cv though!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MO-FO, CHARGING POOR, INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR YOUR IMPERFECT SPANISH?!"

Haha ;)

/language joke

This! Ya most of mine will be going to my parents. Think of your cv though!:P

Bleugh I've been working since I was 14 so I have different CV's for different places, everything from a clothes shop to a gift shop to a take away to a modern restaurant to a chinese restaurant to a cafe to a newspaper to a magazine to a playschool to kennels and a health food shop... I just want a decent job that pays minimum wage and that warrants a little respect... :(
    I'm so sick of the money situation though... Working my arse off just to throw the money into another hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Stupid question... How does one know if one is good enough to give grinds?

I was considering giving Spanish grinds to secondary school students (or perhaps 1st years). A couple of people have said it to me but I don't know if I'd be good enough to charge people for it. It was actually a Spanish speaking friend that put the idea in my head.

I got a B1 in the Leaving Cert and straight 68's in all of my Spanish language exams this year. Part of me is saying "Yeah, go for it!" because I could look up the topics before each grind and make sure I know enough for it, but part of me is saying, "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE MO-FO, CHARGING POOR, INNOCENT PEOPLE FOR YOUR IMPERFECT SPANISH?!"

I'm pretty close to almost being fluent when I'm speaking (if that makes any sense) but when i don't think about it, it's the small niggly bits that get me.

I think you should be grand tbh PC. If its anything like Music, just staying one step ahead is all you need.

I mean, the LC language courses are tailor made for regurgitation, so you can set a specific plan to teach all the younglings.

On top of this, I think you'll find you've progressed more than you might think you have over the past year and you'll be shocked at the (relative) simplicity of the LC! I know I was when I taught some Music grinds anyway.

Best of luck to you! :)

I think you should be grand tbh PC. If its anything like Music, just staying one step ahead is all you need.

I mean, the LC language courses are tailor made for regurgitation, so you can set a specific plan to teach all the younglings.

On top of this, I think you'll find you've progressed more than you might think you have over the past year and you'll be shocked at the (relative) simplicity of the LC! I know I was when I taught some Music grinds anyway.

Best of luck to you! :)

I might give it a go... I mean, I can hardly make them worse, can I?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'd be careful tbh. If you teach them something that is incorrect that could screw them up rightly.

Also, and this isn't a pop at you, it's just my thoughts in general, but I don't believe you (as in 'you' in general like) can be fluent after a year of college level Spanish unless you have a Spanish speaking parent or have spent a considerable amount of time in a Spanish speaking country.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Yeah I know what you mean Princess Calico... I got 1sts in all my (first year) spanish language modules and got an A2 in HL LC, did more study in the Instituto de Cervantes afterwards... my parents kept telling me I should give grinds to make money but I figured that it's something you should really be totally fluent at... On the other hand if you're teaching kids who have a relatively poor level of Spanish then you could probably help them a lot... maybe not so much the ones who would already by very good.

It's the same with piano... I've been playing for 12 or so years and did all the grades and theory etc but still wouldn't feel confident to teach someone else how to play, even though I could probably do a decentish job compared to some of the teachers out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

CnaG wrote: »

Text preceding the actual ballot is a form of condensed helvetica. The heading is a regular weighted helvetica. (hint: all your ipod's text is in this font) All the text on the actual ballot paper is just times new roman.

If you don't have helvetica, you can just use Arial or Calibri. Although I won't talk to you anymore if you do because they're bull**** helvetica ripoffs by Microsoft and they smell.

Myriad pro is also suitable.

• Advertisement

I'd be careful tbh. If you teach them something that is incorrect that could screw them up rightly.

Also, and this isn't a pop at you, it's just my thoughts in general, but I don't believe you (as in 'you' in general like) can be fluent after a year of college level Spanish unless you have a Spanish speaking parent or have spent a considerable amount of time in a Spanish speaking country.

Yeah.. That's what I'm worried about! LC Spanish wouldn't be a problem since I've covered it. I got my boyfriend through it, and his Spanish was awful but I wasn't charging him!
    I do agree that you can't be fluent from just classes, and I wouldn't consider myself fluent- enough so to hold a conversation without having to think about it, but not fluent- but I did it for 4 years at primary school, 6 years at secondary school, and have spent a lot of time in Cebreros with a Spanish friend. I generally skype her once or twice a week to get the auld linguistic juices flowing!

This thread has kind of made up my mind about not doing them. I wasn't really confident doing them at the start, but it was just other people saying it that put the idea there!Thank yooooo!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Anyone like to swap their crummy 2.1/1.1 for my fabulous 2.2? This offer is on because I'm in a generous mood. With this 2.2, you also will receive: repeat exams in August, material to study for said exams, very few job prospects, ineligibility to apply for postgrad courses, a newly found cynical view on life and much, much more. Apply now to avoid disappointment!

Anyone else repeating in August?

I'll trade you this delicious doorstop?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

Just on the whole grinds thing, I'd say go for it. A lot of teaching, I've found, is about having confidence in your own ability and if you don't have that confidence (I didn't when I started teaching swimming despite having swam since I was in water-nappies) you need to fake it for a while. And then you realise that actually you are quite good at this after all and don't need to fake it anymore.

If/when you get someone interested in grinds, maybe sit down with them and ask them what areas of the language they think they need to work on most. The trick, I think anyway, is to have a lesson plan or series of lesson plans before you start the actual teaching. And the other thing would be to play to your strengths at first, so if you're particularly good at speaking spanish then say so on your advertisement and hopefully lots of desperate leaving cert students will follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

banquo wrote: »
    I'll trade you this delicious doorstop?

Done and done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

The thing you have to ask yourself about grinds is- can you actually explain why a certain grammar point is like that. Can you explain the differences between the imperfect/preterite/present perfect in a way that the student will remember? (just as an example)

With teaching a language, the main question the students have is "Why?"- "Why do I use the conditional here?" "Why is this subjunctive?" and "Why can't I use this here?" etc etc

Tbh, I agree with Michellenman. After 1 year of college, I don't know if anyone would have enough technical knowledge of the language to teach grinds.

If speaking Spanish is your strength, then maybe advertise conversation classes but I think you'll also find that if you want to give grinds to people you don't know, many parents of schoolkids will want you to have a degree first (for all they know, you could have started from beginners)

For all I know, you could be great at Spanish but after 1 year, there's still a lot about Spanish that you probably don't know and trust me, second year will surprise you a LOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Anyone know what the standard rate for a tutor is in the college?

About 28.50 an hour, I would imagine. Pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

About 3 fiddy

• Advertisement

A subscription to 5notes.com.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement