Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

iPhone virgin here - so please be gentle!:o:D

I'm looking at purchasing a second-hand (unwanted upgrade) phone on adverts.ie.

I'm with Three, but the phone is locked to another carrier. I've read the sticky - but it's a bit heavy!

I'm looking at THIS software. Is it really THIS easy? Or will there be problems?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Freddie59 wrote: »
    iPhone virgin here - so please be gentle!:o:D

I'm looking at purchasing a second-hand (unwanted upgrade) phone on adverts.ie.

I'm with Three, but the phone is locked to another carrier. I've read the sticky - but it's a bit heavy!

I'm looking at THIS software. Is it really THIS easy? Or will there be problems?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Freddie.
    No its not that easy. I'd be 99% sure it wont work. Only the networks can unlock iphone 4's on the new software

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

A friends in the house here his Iphone 4 has started showing 'No Service' after he upgraded to 5.0.1 & jailbroke with redns0w.

It worked fine for a few days with a 3 sim, then just dropped service. Then we tried re-jailbreaking it just using the latest redsn0w, and hey presto it worked again for a few days.

Then last night - boom - No service again
    We tried rejailbreaking it
    We tried complete format & reinstall 5.0.1

Nothing - still stuck at no service?

I did read online that sometime jailbreaking 'hactivates' the phone & apparently 3 dont like that & boot you off or something?
    Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!!

Dr Nic wrote: »
    A friends in the house here his Iphone 4 has started showing 'No Service' after he upgraded to 5.0.1 & jailbroke with redns0w.

It worked fine for a few days with a 3 sim, then just dropped service. Then we tried re-jailbreaking it just using the latest redsn0w, and hey presto it worked again for a few days.

Then last night - boom - No service again
    We tried rejailbreaking it
    We tried complete format & reinstall 5.0.1

Nothing - still stuck at no service?

I did read online that sometime jailbreaking 'hactivates' the phone & apparently 3 dont like that & boot you off or something?
    Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!!
    Most common cause for No Service is unpaid bills. Try a fresh restore and see if it works fine for a few days unjailbroken

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevodebevo

How do i do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevodebevo

guil wrote: »
    just do a backup through icloud or itunes
    how do i do this

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aaa3

I recently received an iphone locked to O2 UK from a relative and I would like to unlock it, I know there is a form to fill out on the O2 website but as I dont have an O2 UK number this won't work. I would also consider getting the phone unlocked by a website, is there any legitimate, reputable ones that anyone has experience of?

Any Advice?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

how do i do this
    just connect itunes and then right click the iphone an select transfer purchases, when thats one right clicl the iphone again and click backup

when you're setting up the new phone just select restore from backup an pick the latest one
    aaa3 wrote: »
    I recently received an iphone locked to O2 UK from a relative and I would like to unlock it, I know there is a form to fill out on the O2 website but as I dont have an O2 UK number this won't work. I would also consider getting the phone unlocked by a website, is there any legitimate, reputable ones that anyone has experience of?

Any Advice?

Thanks in advance
    can you're relative get it unlocked from o2 uk, they only charge £15 and its taken from credit on a sim card

Any Advice?

Thanks in advance

I've used www.unlockguru.co.uk before to unlock a phone from O2 UK

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

I have an iphone 3GS on 5.0.1(9A405) - modem FW 05.16.05, can anyone tell me if this can be unlocked? currently on vodafone uk. i know it can be jailbroken but can find much on an unlock for the baseband?

thanks.

• Advertisement

it can be unlocked if you update to the ipad baseband but read up on it before you decide because it's irreversible

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aaa3

Ok, Thanks for your help.
    It looks a bit dodgy if you ask me.
    Out of interest how much did it cost you?

• Site Banned Posts: 8 alice302

Very useful, thanks you very much for you sharing.

it can be unlocked if you update to the ipad baseband but read up on it before you decide because it's irreversible

Thanks,

had a quick google about it and it seems the only 'main' issue is that the GPS probably wont work, which isnt a big deal for me. although according to this:http://www.beijingiphonerepair.com/news/new-iphone-3gs-8gb-uses-toshiba-baseband-chip-not-compatible-with-ipad-baseband-6-15-00/
    Depending on the time of year the phone was made i may not be able to unlock it. (at work at the moment so cant check the serial til i get home)

do you know of a quick guide as to were to get the ipad baseband and do the unlock+jailbreak?

many thanks......

I'm nearly sure any redsn0w has the ability to install the iPad baseband

I'm nearly sure any redsn0w has the ability to install the iPad baseband

Ok i just discovered this phone is on the new bootrom i.e. 359.3.2

does this mean it cant be unlocked at all????

thanks.

afaik the bootrom is only relevant if you're looking to downgrade the baseband

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Just saw this http://pastebin.com/qAKdL7Fr unlock base band 04.11.08 and 3.10. as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi folks,

I have an iphone 4 and Im wondering if its worth jailbreaking it. What are the benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

BrendanD wrote: »
    Just saw this http://pastebin.com/qAKdL7Fr unlock base band 04.11.08
    Have you tried this yourself yet, does.it really work? If so, thanks!!

• Advertisement

beardo81 wrote: »

No but i am going to try this out later on tonight when i get home from work

No but i am going to try this out later on tonight when i get home from work

Great, post your results, hope it works for you!

Great, post your results, hope it works for you!
    just tried to down load the files think its a scam , comes up with answer questions and premium texts thing

just tried to down load the files think its a scam , comes up with answer questions and premium texts thing
    Sounds like it alright, ah well, we may keep looking! Thanks :)

Unless there is info posted on the dev team blog I wouldn't believe anything about an unlock

Hi folks,

I have an iphone 4 and Im wondering if its worth jailbreaking it. What are the benefits?

Bump

Ok, Thanks for your help.
    It looks a bit dodgy if you ask me.
    Out of interest how much did it cost you?
    Think it was £35. Ive used the site for a few phones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Bump

The benefits are you can customise and add tweaks to your phone.

naasrd wrote: »

But is there anything cool that can be done to make the process worthwhile?
    And is it untethered or tethered?

• Advertisement

naasrd wrote: »

But is there anything cool that can be done to make the process worthwhile?
    And is it untethered or tethered?
    Just google Cyrus tweaks to see what's available

Advertisement