Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

Digidol wrote: »
    My mam is with Vodafone, she would be prepay and would have topped up way more than that, but she would never have unlocked a phone though! Could that work?

Could do. She needs to log into My Vodafone, go to the NAC section and enter the IMEI of your phone and an e-mail address. Make sure it identifies the phone correctly, down to the capacity and colour (it actually does prompt for this). When the request is sent it will take anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to be processed - you'll then receive an e-mail to the address you specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Karsini wrote: »
    Could do. She needs to log into My Vodafone, go to the NAC section and enter the IMEI of your phone and an e-mail address. Make sure it identifies the phone correctly, down to the capacity and colour (it actually does prompt for this). When the request is sent it will take anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to be processed - you'll then receive an e-mail to the address you specified.

Brilliant, I'm just doing that now, thanks so much for your help!:)

EDIT: Damn it doesn't look like i can do it;

"Unless otherwise instructed, always ensure that a Vodafone SIM Card is in the handset prior to trying to unlock it. NAC in the instructions refers to the Vodafone Network Access Code. Wherever NAC appears in the instructions insert the NAC code you have been given."

My mam's sim isn't a micro sim so wouldn't fit the phone :(

Brilliant, I'm just doing that now, thanks so much for your help!:)
    No probs. I'd be surprised if it actually works at this hour as Vodafone's site tends to stop working after 11pm or so. Try again tomorrow if you've no joy.

No probs. I'd be surprised if it actually works at this hour as Vodafone's site tends to stop working after 11pm or so. Try again tomorrow if you've no joy.

"Unless otherwise instructed, always ensure that a Vodafone SIM Card is in the handset prior to trying to unlock it. NAC in the instructions refers to the Vodafone Network Access Code. Wherever NAC appears in the instructions insert the NAC code you have been given."

My mam doesn't have a micro sim so it wouldn't fit the iPhone :(

My mam doesn't have a micro sim so it wouldn't fit the iPhone :(

Nah, that doesn't apply to the iPhone, it's a generic instruction. They don't give you a code per se, they send a request to Apple to unlock it and the unlock is then done when you sync via iTunes.

• Advertisement

Nah, that doesn't apply to the iPhone, it's a generic instruction. They don't give you a code per se, they send a request to Apple to unlock it and the unlock is then done when you sync via iTunes.

You are a gem! Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

is there a jailbreak unlock for the 4s yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

ArklowHoop wrote: »
    is there a jailbreak unlock for the 4s yet?

yes what baseband are you on

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

massy086 wrote: »
    yes what baseband are you on

ArklowHoop wrote: »

http://www.applenberry.com/store/gevey-sim/gevey-ultra-s i would wait for the clone,s to come out much cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I have a 3gs on version 4.3.3 and baseband 06.15.00, so i have read that i can unlock.
    I can find out the redsn0w 0.9.6 rc15 will unlock it, but what i'm not sure of is if i cant get that exact version of redsn0w but i can get a newer version, will the newer version work too?? or is a redsn0w 0.9.6 rc15 specificity for 4.3.3.
    Also i have the latest Itunes, do i need to get an older version to work with redsn0w 0.9.6 rc15?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭guil

Senna wrote: »
    I have a 3gs on version 4.3.3 and baseband 06.15.00, so i have read that i can unlock.
    I can find out the redsn0w 0.9.6 rc15 will unlock it, but what i'm not sure of is if i cant get that exact version of redsn0w but i can get a newer version, will the newer version work too?? or is a redsn0w 0.9.6 rc15 specificity for 4.3.3.
    Also i have the latest Itunes, do i need to get an older version to work with redsn0w 0.9.6 rc15?
    The latest redsn0w will do fine. All it does is jailbreaks the phone and adds cydia. When everything is finished go into cydia and tap search and type ultrasn0w. Install that and restart the phone and voila. Don't update though

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

Just bought an iphone 4 locked to o2. Would prefer an official unlock to a jailbreak. o2 said the phone was never registered to an o2 account though. I'm not with o2 myself either. And they said the phone would need to be registered with an o2 acc and €150 top up required before they'd unlock! Am I totaly stuck now?

have a look on unlock guru, supposedly they have links in o2 and can get it done for about 80

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Hi folks,
    i'm jailbroken and unlocked, just a question about itunes, can i do backup and restore from itunes? i have one of those cydia apps, aptbackup that remembers what mods i've made but i'm afraid to back my music up cos i've no lnger access to the home computer this phone was started on.

anyone any ideas?
    thanks

david75 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    i'm jailbroken and unlocked, just a question about itunes, can i do backup and restore from itunes? i have one of those cydia apps, aptbackup that remembers what mods i've made but i'm afraid to back my music up cos i've no lnger access to the home computer this phone was started on.

anyone any ideas?
    thanks
    Is the phone unlocked by ultrasn0w. If so don't restore without using a "cooked" firmware and preserve the baseband For the music you could use share pod to transfer it all to your current pc and then sync

pretty sure it was ultrasnow, but it was quite a while ago. I'll look up sharepod also, thanks a million for the response

Go to cydia then manage and then packages. If ultrasn0w is there don't do a normal update

cool will do. thank you!

yeah it's ultrasnow. is there a way around this?

• Advertisement

I'm losing the will to live!!
    Can i restore a 3gs to 4.3.3? I have the firmware, but i keep getting error 3194 on itunes

I'm losing the will to live!!
    Can i restore a 3gs to 4.3.3? I have the firmware, but i keep getting error 3194 on itunes

what baseband is the phone on

ok and are you trying to restore the phone with a normal firmware or a custom firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev1

Hi,
    I have an iphone 4s iOS 5.0.1 locked on AT&T, baseband 1.0.14, which I want to unlock.

From researching online, I see there is little chance of an ultrasn0w unlock coming anytime soon. However, there are these SIM Transposers which claim to do this. Are these reliable? Anyone ever use them?

I have found a couple of different types and the two I keep seeing popping up on various forums are:
    1. Gevey Ultra S sim from applenberry, found here: http://applenberry.com/store/gevey-sim/gevey-ultra-s - cost $64.99

2. GPP SIM which works specifically for 4s locked on AT&T. I have found these on two different places
    a. http://www.store4iphone.com/product/gpp-unlock-sim-for-all-at-t-iphone-4s/ - which sells it for $52.99
    b. http://www.buygpp.com/ - which sells it for only $29.99 (with shipping).

From a price viewpoint, this last place looks the most attractive. A company called www.iphonerepairmiamibeach.com (http://www.facebook.com/iPhoneRepairMia ) is behind this website. But, I don't really know anything about them and I don't know if its a reliable place or is it too good to be true??

If anyone has any insight into any of these places, it would be great to hear!

Thanks.

P.s. sorry for the long post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

I have an iPhone 4S running IOS 5.0.1

It is also jail broken

Can I install IOS 5.1 on my phone now ?

Or do I have to un jailbreak it first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

You can install it but you'll lose the JB

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

thinking of getting a i phone 4s of my mate its locked to the 3 network as he is gonna default on his bill and head to canada
    can i unlock this phone to work with my meteor and vodafone sim cards

thinking of getting a i phone 4s of my mate its locked to the 3 network as he is gonna default on his bill and head to canada
    can i unlock this phone to work with my meteor and vodafone sim cards

Maybe with a new Gevey SIM. Be aware though, if your mate defaults on the bill, 3 may blacklist the phone and this will render it useless on any Irish network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Maybe with a new Gevey SIM. Be aware though, if your mate defaults on the bill, 3 may blacklist the phone and this will render it useless on any Irish network.
    thats what hes going doing as not going to be in country
    notover tech minded but whats a gevey sim

Advertisement