Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

im not exactly sure they really know what they are doing when it comes to support well the lads in the shops do nothing but chew the sleeve's off their jumpers and sit in puddles of maddness

i'd like to say different but they never prove me wrong im on a great plan but its not getting the usage becuse i have a over priced itouch that i dont use for music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

For those of you on Three there's a great little add on in Themes in Cydia, it replaces the 3 with the actual 3 logo. There are 2 the 3uk one works.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Hi folks,

Apologies if the info is somewhere within this thread (had a quick look but was never gonna be able to read 220+ posts..).

So, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 4.3.3, Baseband 04.10.01 and I want to upgrade to iOS 5.01 and jailbreak once more. I've synced and backed up evertything etc and have the latest version of iTunes installed. Am I right in saying that I do a factory restore and can then restore the latest backup I made without issue, then re-jailbreak again using Redsn0w?

Or it is better to do a factory reset/upgradge to 5.01 and sync all apps afresh and ignore the old backup?

Does this mean I'd lose my contact numbers and any information in my Notes app also?

Thanks in advance ;)

JC5

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

is there any unlocks out for ios 5.0.1 and baseband 04.11.08? I have it jailbroken with redsn0w. i have tried to downgrade to 4.3.5 and do it that way but keep getting errors and cant get it to work.

paul-2008 wrote: »
    is there any unlocks out for ios 5.0.1 and baseband 04.11.08? I have it jailbroken with redsn0w. i have tried to downgrade to 4.3.5 and do it that way but keep getting errors and cant get it to work.

You can't downgrade the baseband and this is what allows ultrasn0w unlocks. Your only option is an official network unlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Karsini wrote: »
    You can't downgrade the baseband and this is what allows ultrasn0w unlocks. Your only option is an official network unlock.

so there is absolutely no way to downgrade the baseband to 4.10.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Karsini wrote: »

so there is absolutely no way to downgrade the baseband to 4.10.1?
    No

No they send a request to Apple then text him when its gone through. You then connect the iPhone to iTunes with an unrecognised sim and it will unlock through iTunes

Hi,

I just received my NAC request reply from Vodafone but it's telling me that I have to restore my phone for it to work? According to the above post tho a sim from another network inserted should prompt the unlock in iTunes (or am I reading that wrong...?) - does anyone know if this is correct?

I ask as I'm on iOS 4.3.3 and if I restore I assume I'll be bumped up to 5.0.1 -- I'd prefer to stay on 4.3.3 and keep my jailbreak to be honest but I'm switching networks soon and need to unlock...

Thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just received my NAC request reply from Vodafone but it's telling me that I have to restore my phone for it to work? According to the above post tho a sim from another network inserted should prompt the unlock in iTunes (or am I reading that wrong...?) - does anyone know if this is correct?

I ask as I'm on iOS 4.3.3 and if I restore I assume I'll be bumped up to 5.0.1 -- I'd prefer to stay on 4.3.3 and keep my jailbreak to be honest but I'm switching networks soon and need to unlock...

Thanks for any info

You'll be bumped alright, but it's jailbreakable and it's a pretty easy one to do.

naasrd wrote: »
    You'll be bumped alright, but it's jailbreakable and it's a pretty easy one to do.

Thanks for the response!

If I do update to 5.0.1, can I then restore without issues from any backup that I make before doing so?

Also, I'm having trouble with tinyumbrella, it doesn't seem to be backing up my SHSH blobs for me... the files that it produces are 5-6kb in size but I've read elsewhere that they should be around 60kb, any ideas? (are there any other issues I might not be aware of when updating a 04.10.01 baseband to iOS 5.0.1?) - thanks for your help!

J :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

naasrd wrote: »

Thanks for the response!

If I do update to 5.0.1, can I then restore without issues from any backup that I make before doing so?

Also, I'm having trouble with tinyumbrella, it doesn't seem to be backing up my SHSH blobs for me... the files that it produces are 5-6kb in size but I've read elsewhere that they should be around 60kb, any ideas? (are there any other issues I might not be aware of when updating a 04.10.01 baseband to iOS 5.0.1?) - thanks for your help!

J :)
    Blobs dont work for the newer iOS and basebands. You cant downgrade once you upgrade to 5.0.1.

Your backup should restore no problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Looking for A bit of help, I have an unlocked/jailbroken 3GS that was working fine up until this afternoon but i connected it to my computer and now it won't read the sim card!!!

It just keeps saying "searching" in the top left corner for a few minutes and then after when it stops it just says "no service". The phone was originally Vodafone but I've been using it with a meteor sim.

It's on 5.0.1 and the baseband is 06.15.00........I've been looking at YouTube tutorials and google searches most of the day trying to fix it but haven't been able to resolve the issue!!

Anyone here able to help??

Thanks in advance

P.S sorry if this has been discussed already I don't follow th thread and its to late in the day to be scrolling through 200+ pages!!:D

So,

Downloaded latest iTunes, made a backup and hit restore... everything goes fine until iTunes extracts the 5.0.1 update and then throws up an error message:

"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)"

Any idea folks as I've made 6 attempts at this stage, restarted, ensured I was running as administrator, disabled firewalls and antivirus software etc, but still no joy. Now I've a blank phone stuck in limbo and have yet to put 5.0.1 on it - knowing my luck Apple will release an update and that's me screwed in terms of jailbreaking it...

(phone was previously jailbroken on 4.3.3 (04.10.01) if that's any help

J

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

try updating your iphone on another computer (even a friends one).

also you may need to have your iphone showing the connect to itunes screen on it before you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

So,

Downloaded latest iTunes, made a backup and hit restore... everything goes fine until iTunes extracts the 5.0.1 update and then throws up an error message:

"The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21)"

Any idea folks as I've made 6 attempts at this stage, restarted, ensured I was running as administrator, disabled firewalls and antivirus software etc, but still no joy. Now I've a blank phone stuck in limbo and have yet to put 5.0.1 on it - knowing my luck Apple will release an update and that's me screwed in terms of jailbreaking it...

(phone was previously jailbroken on 4.3.3 (04.10.01) if that's any help

J
    Hold the power button for 3 seconds and while still holding the power hold both the power and home for another 12 seconds and release the power button and hold the home for another 10 or 12 seconds.

That should put the phone into DFU mode and it will restore no problem. If you can't get it into DFU look on YouTube for iPhone DFU

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Hi fellas, in a bit of a pickle here, I've an iphone 4 from the states (AT&T), I just upgraded it to ios 5 while preserving my baseband (04.10.01), now I'm stuck in I-tunes, its asking me for activation, I'm kind of floundering in different advice online and don't want to risk updating the baseband, which I know is the kiss of death, how do I get around i-tunes activation? I don't mind jailbreaking it at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

oodles19 wrote: »
    Hi fellas, in a bit of a pickle here, I've an iphone 4 from the states (AT&T), I just upgraded it to ios 5 while preserving my baseband (04.10.01), now I'm stuck in I-tunes, its asking me for activation, I'm kind of floundering in different advice online and don't want to risk updating the baseband, which I know is the kiss of death, how do I get around i-tunes activation? I don't mind jailbreaking it at this point...

Hi.
    The easy one option is to get an AT&T card to activate it.
    Now to jailbreak Snowbreeze it's the freebugs one. Had problems with the Redsnow.
    Both programs have the option to hactivate it.
    To have it unlocked you will need to jailbreak. How did you use it before?
    If in Dublin PM me, if need more help.
    Got an AT&T sim too.
    Don't update the baseband if you need it unlocked!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dj-kyosho

Hi, just a quick question because I dont want turn my iphone 4 into a paper weight! I have an iphone 4 that is untethered jailbroken using sn0wbreeze. its ios 5.0.1. I have it hacktivated so imessage and facetime don't work.. I just got it factory unlocked and I'm wondering can I just click restore to new iphone in itunes to update it to ios 5.0.1 official or will there be a problem? Also will the phone be able to be activated with my meteor sim? Thanks.

yes as long as the unlock was approved by apple you can just restore in itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dj-kyosho

Yes,the unlock was done by imei number sent to apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Kettle316 wrote: »
    Looking for A bit of help, I have an unlocked/jailbroken 3GS that was working fine up until this afternoon but i connected it to my computer and now it won't read the sim card!!!

It just keeps saying "searching" in the top left corner for a few minutes and then after when it stops it just says "no service". The phone was originally Vodafone but I've been using it with a meteor sim.

It's on 5.0.1 and the baseband is 06.15.00........I've been looking at YouTube tutorials and google searches most of the day trying to fix it but haven't been able to resolve the issue!!

Thanks in advance

P.S sorry if this has been discussed already I don't follow th thread and its to late in the day to be scrolling through 200+ pages!!:D

hi all i am having the same problem as well. whats the solution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

puppyra1n or redsn0w for iOS 5 jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

by any chance is there an unlock for 04.11.08 yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

barryd09 wrote: »
    I was just about to ask the same question. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

barryd09 wrote: »
    I was just about to ask the same question. :p
    There's supposed to be a new gevey sim out this month that can unlock 4.11.08 Applenberry Who have something to do with gevey announced it on their Facebook page about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hi,
    I've not been following the JB scene for a while and looking for some info.

iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 with baseband 04.10.01 locked to o2.

I would like to jailbreak and unlock the phone and in doing so if I ended up on ios5 without updating the baseband that would be a bonus. Don't mind staying on 4.3.3 though.

Do I have any options? From my quick researching today it seems I may need a gevey sim or do I have any other options?

Thanks,
    Moo

Hi,
    I've not been following the JB scene for a while and looking for some info.

iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 with baseband 04.10.01 locked to o2.

I would like to jailbreak and unlock the phone and in doing so if I ended up on ios5 without updating the baseband that would be a bonus. Don't mind staying on 4.3.3 though.

Do I have any options? From my quick researching today it seems I may need a gevey sim or do I have any other options?

Thanks,
    Moo
    Re the jailbreak, if you don't care about updating to iOS 5.0.1 then you can just go to http://www.jailbreakme.com/ - it doesn't get much easier than this.

Unlocking, you'll need a Gevey SIM or else an official network unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevodebevo

Hi ,
    I have purchased approx 216 songs on my iphone thru itunes . im replacing my phone with the new 4s and want to transfer all my songs onto it . However when i sign into my itunes account none of the songs are on it . Im not particularly good with al this sort of thing . Any help out there ??:

just do a backup through icloud or itunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Kettle316 wrote: »

Thanks in advance

dude just got mine working.

Uninstall cydia

then put iphone in to dfu mode.

restore through iTunes with original firmware.
    It will work dont mind the stuff that you cant restore it real firmware.

then re jailbreak it with rednsow.

go to cydia install ultrasnow.

stick then your sim.

Advertisement