Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Thanks all...I sat on the bay for weeks looking for that style. I was outbid on the only other one similar by $5 a few weeks ago.

The size is 34mm, the strap was purchased from the watch-bandcenter.com as the one supplied was just as a gesture.

Some info I found on the interweb about the watch..
    The movement in the watch is marked 2614.2H, where "H" is Cyrillic for the Roman "N", the same movement that powered the "Jessica". Made from 1972 it was made in large quantities, and many were supplied to other watch manufacturers - "Jessica" is one example. Vostok now owns the tooling for this movement (and probably the automatic version 2616.2H) but not doing much with it.

It might be helpful to learn the standard movement code convention too. In this example, "26" means movement diameter in mm, "14" means centre-second, shock-proof, hand-wind with date; the "2H" after the dot means third new design.

For anyone who is not aware of this now legendary article.

http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium0031

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There was a thread last week on tz-uk about the cost of certain bracelets, it was quite timely as i had just agreed a deal for an oem IWC bracelet for my 3717.

Even at a generous discount it is eye wateringly expensive .However, I really like this watch and I wanted a bracelet, so rather than sell it and get something else I decided to bite the bullet. Delighted with how it looks, which is good because whilst it was easy enough to put on it looks like it could be a bugger to get off again without scratching something :lol:

IMG_20120128_151748.jpg
    IMG_20120128_151813.jpg
    IMG_20120128_151803.jpg
    IMG_20120128_151844.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Cyrus wrote: »
    ... it is eye wateringly expensive.

If it's any consolation ...at least it looks it too :D

(unlike others I won't mention)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Looks great on the bracelet!

I just got an IWC too, I took a few pics yesterday I'll throw them up later.

Wonderful finishing on the IWC's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

That IWC is a beautiful watch - the bracelet looks top quality Cyrus - well wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Congrats C. But I actually think it looks better on leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Much better looking on the bracelet IMO, so to avoid scratches, don't ever change it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Looks stunning on the bracelet

Nice

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Here's a few photos and first impressions/mini review of a IWC Vintage Collection Aquatimer 3231-01 I just picked up. Apologies for all the photos, just got a tripod and got carried away... ;)

As regards the overall design, I love the fact that this is a modern interpretation of the 1967 vintage, rather than a slavish copy. It is more 'nuevo-vintage' than 'vintage', has hard Teutonic lines that make it different than anything else I have seen, and in my opinion fits the Germanic design profile of IWC Schaffhausen as northern Switzerland's only high profile watchmaker.

What you can't see in photos is how light plays on the case, the micro polished chamfer around the bezel and the applied hour markers really sparkle as the watch is moved. It is certainly no shrinking violet. The 3D step of the bezel from the main dial to the timer ring also looks super in the flesh. As with all watches, you really need to see this in person to appreciate it. The inner rotating bezel is actioned via the lower crown.

613953d1327746610-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_1.jpg
    613954d1327746692-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_2.jpg
    613955d1327746707-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_3.jpg

The movement (80111) is also fully in-house and uses a pelaton movement for bi-directional winding, as I understand this is not a new system but quite unique for modern production. I like the fact that this movement is a work horse and has lot's of thickness/tolerance and a shock proofing system. You can play golf with it should you choose, not usually advisable with an automatic. I want this as a keeper to hand down to one of my sons so it's good to know it's very robust. I have not had a chance to run timing tests yet, but other owners of this movement seem happy. IWC run a +0 to +7 /day tolerance as far as I know.

As regards the finishing of the movement, some people have commented that it is a little plain/unfinished, I couldn't disagree more, I think it's beautiful and it fits in well with what is in effect a tool watch, not a dress watch. Once again it's one that you can really appreciate in person with the play of light on the surfaces as it is handled.

613960d1327748184-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_4.jpg
    613961d1327748207-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_5.jpg

The obligatory wrist shot! I don't have massive wrists (around 6.75'', but flat wrist) and this is a 44mm watch, so it's large. But the lugs are steeply angled and it fits well, I love it.

613962d1327748712-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_6.jpg

The lume is also super and really bright, sure there are brighter lumes, but it is perfect for this watch and the green works well on the 'nuevo-vintage' style IMO.

613963d1327748833-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_7.jpg
    613964d1327748860-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_8.jpg
    613965d1327748885-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_9.jpg

The OEM rubber has a vintage cross hatch style, looks great and is very tool like. But I also picked up a IWC Santoni Dark Brown strap also to dress the watch up a bit and give it more flexibility. (the lugs on the VC AT have a 22mm spacing as per the Portofino 8-day). I have to say it is a wonderful combination, it really transforms the VC AT into a quasi dress watch. The strap is a real work of art and the patina has a wonderful colour shift in the light.

613971d1327749201-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_10.jpg
    613972d1327749216-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_11.jpg
    613973d1327749239-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_12.jpg
    613974d1327749258-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_13.jpg

Perfect to use with a casual jeans/jacket combo.

613975d1327749281-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_14.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Great watch, great description and great pictures, Thank you !

That's some timepiece, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

Thats a really beautiful piece Smartfox.

Hey all, just stumbled upon this tread in the last few days and I have to say, I'm unbelievably envious of all yer beautiful watches.. Makes me wish I had money :p

I do love a nice watch, but I would be lying if I said I was as big into them as some of you guys on here. For example, my everyday watch is a €30 Nightmare Before Christmas special, all the way from Disneyland Paris :p
    I figured I might aswell throw up a cuple of pics of my good watches, as some of you might appreciate them :pac:

First one is nothing special/rare. Just holds sentimental value at this stage. Its a Sekonda something or other.Was a gift from my nan, all the way from New York.

Watch330.jpg

The second, maybe a little bit more special.
    Its a Tonio Lamborghini 2005.22 apparently :o
    My parents gave it to me as a gift for my 21st over 5 years ago, and it supposedly cost a nice bit of wonga. I've only ever worn it a couple of times for fear of doing damage. And i appreciate, it may be a little too flashy for some of you folk on here. But I love it :p

Watch324.jpg

Watch325.jpg

Watch327.jpg

Watch328.jpg

Also, considering the piece is a few years old now. Is it too late to send away for the official certification??

Watch329.jpg

Hope you enjoyed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Dercola wrote: »

The second, maybe a little bit more special.
    Its a Tonio Lamborghini 2005.22 apparently :o
    My parents gave it to me as a gift for my 21st over 5 years ago, and it supposedly cost a nice bit of wonga. I've only ever worn it a couple of times for fear of doing damage. And i appreciate, it may be a little too flashy for some of you folk on here. But I love it :p

Hope you enjoyed :D

Only one problem with the Lambo...the Arsenal Mouse Mat its on...:P

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

SmartFox wrote: »

613975d1327749281-new-iwc-owner-vc-3231-01-photos-first-impressions-mini-review-web_iwc_vc_at_14.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson has a nice watch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I think Jeremy wears Omegas. :D
    25c85827.jpg

Daniel S wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkson has a nice watch :D

Would be nice to have Clarkson's garage too, not just his dress sense! ;)

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I think Jeremy wears Omegas. :D
    25c85827.jpg

I do like Planet Ocean's too. Saw the PO LM LE, in Weirs before Christmas, very nice. Tried on a 42mm PO 8500 but found it too thick. Although it looked great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dercola wrote: »
    +1 SmartFox bloody lovely watch with a great history of the compressor type case behind it. I always admired the two crown compressor cases. A very novel way of waterproofing a watch for diving and quite different to how Rolex and those who copied them went about it. No screwdown crowns etc. All based on compressible rubber seals and working with the pressure not agin it(IIRC the new IWC doesn't use the same system. On the originals the upper crown moves the inner bezel and the crystal/glass is much more bulbous and protruding). Many quality marques ran with it at the time, JLC, IWC, Longines(Wittnuaer), Enicar, Lip, Blancpain, Hamilton, Girard Perregaux, Zenith(rare as rocking horse shít) and a host of others. The leather strap looks very good SF. Wouldn't have thought it would but it does. Well may you wear. Great pics too.
    Hey all, just stumbled upon this tread in the last few days and I have to say, I'm unbelievably envious of all yer beautiful watches.. Makes me wish I had money :p
    I hear ya there D. :) Unluckily I don't have SmartFox's bank balance, but luckily I've even scrawnier wrists than him soooo... I can go vintage and not too look outa place. :)
    *obligatory wrist shot of pre xmas purchase of late 60's Lip Nautic as used by the Cousteau team*
    LIPNautic.jpg
    See? It looks like it's near 40+mm. It aint :) That said it's a big watch in thickness and funny enough of all my vintage and oddball watches it's the one that garners most interest. I think it's the two winding crowns.

The real killer? Waaay back in the day? I was into WW1/2/pilots watches so turned down an original 60's IWC with an asking price of 200 quid, worse a Longines compressor cased diver for 80. Oh the stuff I said no to in the 80's, before mechanical watches really took off :eek::o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...No screwdown crowns etc. All based on compressible rubber seals and working with the pressure not agin it(IIRC the new IWC doesn't use the same system)...

The offset crowns are a nice visual feature. The bottom crown for turning the internal timing bezel is a compressor type so you can rotate it underwater (although not sure at what depth it would lock up), but the main upper crown is a screw down.
    ...Many quality marques ran with it at the time, JLC...

The JLC Polaris is a beaut

my.php?image=piscine220409039.jpg
    ...obligatory wrist shot of pre xmas purchase of late 60's Lip Nautic as used by the Cousteau team...

Would be nice to see a pic of that, link seems broken?

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The offset crowns are a nice visual feature. The bottom crown for turning the internal timing bezel is a compressor type so you can rotate it underwater (although not sure at what depth it would lock up), but the main upper crown is a screw down.
    The originals were apparently OK up to 660 feet. Or actually 666 feet, but the US market didn't go for the diabolic element :D

The JLC Polaris is a beaut
    God yea. Compressor case with an underwater alarm in the original of the species. :eek:
    Would be nice to see a pic of that, link seems broken?
    Hopefully works now :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs, love your ' late 60's Lip Nautic as used by the Cousteau team', a real beauty, and with real heritage, great find. Looks great on you too.

What diameter is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The movement (80111) is also fully in-house and uses a pelaton movement for bi-directional winding, as I understand this is not a new system but quite unique for modern production. I like the fact that this movement is a work horse and has lot's of thickness/tolerance and a shock proofing system. You can play golf with it should you choose, not usually advisable with an automatic. I want this as a keeper to hand down to one of my sons so it's good to know it's very robust. I have not had a chance to run timing tests yet, but other owners of this movement seem happy. IWC run a +0 to +7 /day tolerance as far as I know.

Is this true about automatic watches, I understand not wanting to get them scratched etc but are golfing or other activities going to damage the movements. Will I have to buy a fancy looking quartz instead because I want any nice watch I have to be worn and seen?

What diameter is it?
    35mm(-crowns/lugs) but it wears bigger

Is this true about automatic watches...

I have read that high impact activities (such as golf, tennis, impact power tools, ect...) where there is a sudden change in momentum, can cause the rotor to spin very fast due to the inertia it contains. This can cause localised poor time keeping, and ultimately risks failure due to damaged rotor spindle or rotor bearings.

Don't think there is problem with general active wearing, just impact related activities.

I don't claim to be an expert on the field but I do know that different movements use varying levels of shock protection, so if you're worried about a specific watch, it's probably best to ask for manufacturer recommendations regarding various activities.

Here's a fairly informative WUS posting on the subject: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/golfing-deadly-expensive-watches-138374.html

There's also loads of stuff written on the subject if you run a Google search.

I'd agree with Smartfox, you're likely ok for general active stuff. Never thought about the rotor aspect TBH maybe because I've never owned an auto, all handwinds. Still I've worn those handwinds on a daily rotational basis and they just kept on going and the oldest is from 1916 and half of them have no shock protection at all. I've had the crown pop out on a 60's Heuer after a car hit me and I fell hard, still kept going. I've broken crystals and the like with being clumsy and still they kept going. Other than avoiding water I'm fairly confident in their robustness. Indeed of all my watches over the years the quartz ones were the least robust funny enough. Including two us mil spec* issued watches, both less than ten years old, both dead as doorknobs. The only quartz I have still running are an early 80's seiko calculator watch and an old Casio G shock. The latter bloody good watches.

*cheap as chips but just built enough to work :D

New shoes on my Stowa. Had it on a black-brown croco. Dog ate it. Now on gray croco. I like it a lot.

Q & D shots from my phone - tricky watch to photograph though :-

oqkg8k.jpg

10gwbnn.jpg

okafxi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Where did you get the grey croc?

• Advertisement

Hi Carlton - OEM from Stowa - www.stowa.de.

They have them to fit a range of lug sizes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement