Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

DT=====>> beginning to question his decision

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

^ Any particular reason why if you don't mind my asking ? I think you got a great watch.

Just the chat around the globe about quartz and Auto.....

TBH....When I get it in my hands....I will love it.

It does actually look stunning...and its brand new....

Just need something in White / Silver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Steinhart Vintage Red arrived today

APXw9.jpg

Just the chat around the globe about quartz and Auto.....

TBH....When I get it in my hands....I will love it.

It does actually look stunning...and its brand new....

Just need something in White / Silver

Its a beaut.

A lot of people seem to have a strange - to me - reaction against quartz. When put to the question it seems fair to say that they can't necessarily provide a rational reason for this - and so be it, its their opinion.

In a Divers watch in particular quartz makes good sense.

When you get it in your hands you'll love it. Equally, think of the much less extensive servicing required and general hassle free operation. There are upsides.

• Advertisement

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Its a beaut.

A lot of people seem to have a strange - to me - reaction against quartz. When put to the question it seems fair to say that they can't necessarily provide a rational reason for this - and so be it, its their opinion.

When you get it in your hands you'll love it. Equally, think of the much less extensive servicing required and general hassle free operation. There are upsides.

Bang on...I cant wait to get it

Nolimits wrote: »
    Steinhart Vintage Red arrived today

Had one myself..

Great watch and it also looks fantastic on a Skunk Bond NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭coolbreeze01

not one for posting really but said id put up a picture of my purchase earlier today :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This finally arrived today - I won the game of "Customs Roulette" too, which was a bonus.

I was looking for a sort of older look, but with a large face as smaller than 40mm faces are just too small for me. I think this fits the bill quite nicely.

It has a 47 mm face with a Molnija 3603 movement (kindly clarified by Peasant on my original thread).

6837017647_f73319a5d1.jpg

Display back with optional solid back beside it:

6837017203_5c7fe73208.jpg

And on my wrist:

6837019083_0245361f3b.jpg

To annoy the purists, I also have a Getat on the way to me, so I think I might need to offload at least one of my others to make some space.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

maybe not everyone's cup of tea but very happy so see the Helson Bronze Shark Diver on my desk today.

Its a hefty piece 45mm (heavy!) with a titanium caseback - i can't wait for the bronze to patina over the coming months.

DSC_2381.jpg

DSC_2380.jpg

DSC_2382.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fckin A, very nice emrys. I've often been surprised at the materials that watch manufacturers won't use. Silver is one(and big at the start of the wristwatch history) and most especially bronze. An amazing material and very long lasting. Sure it patinates, but that's a lot of it's appeal.

PS, moved it here E, given that you're showing off :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fckin A, very nice emrys. I've often been surprised at the materials that watch manufacturers won't use. Silver is one(and big at the start of the wristwatch history) and most especially bronze. An amazing material and very long lasting. Sure it patinates, but that's a lot of it's appeal.

PS, moved it here E, given that you're showing off :D

hehe :D

bronze seems to be 'in' at least 4 mircrobrands have bronze divers and of course the amazing panerai 382!

Helson had six versions of the bronze on sale last week and they sold out in 48 hours - Thankfully Peter (Helson) had given me a heads up that they were going on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Nice watch, but what is the reasoning behind this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More robust, less susceptible to shock all things being equal I'd reckon. Plus it's a lot easier to isolate the works from the outside environment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

emrys wrote: »
    maybe not everyone's cup of tea but very happy so see the Helson Bronze Shark Diver on my desk today.

Its a hefty piece 45mm (heavy!) with a titanium caseback - i can't wait for the bronze to patina over the coming months

Jayus! You'd hammer masonry nails with that!! :pac:

I do like it though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

emrys wrote: »
    hehe :D

bronze seems to be 'in' at least 4 mircrobrands have bronze divers and of course the amazing panerai 382!

Helson had six versions of the bronze on sale last week and they sold out in 48 hours - Thankfully Peter (Helson) had given me a heads up that they were going on sale

FYI

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209119

foxyboxer wrote: »

yup i knew that - mine is from the new batch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The radioactive batch :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    More robust, less susceptible to shock all things being equal I'd reckon. Plus it's a lot easier to isolate the works from the outside environment.

All of those, and less maintenance needs to keep the watch reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

All of those, and less maintenance needs to keep the watch reliable.

Fair enough.

I had always thought that the consensus was that auto was the better option for a divers, as quartz would involve taking the back off more often than would otherwise be necessary in order to change the battery. That, and the consequence of water ingress is slightly less disastrous for a mechanical movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

emrys, your Helson Bronze is beautiful. I bet it'll look even better with the patina... Will be nice for you to see it develop.

Post a few photos up once it's nicely set in ;)

Anjobe wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I had always thought that the consensus was that auto was the better option for a divers, as quartz would involve taking the back off more often than would otherwise be necessary in order to change the battery. That, and the consequence of water ingress is slightly less disastrous for a mechanical movement.

Good point too - although you should get 3 or 4 years on a quartz battery where you're not running a chrono function or something, and that's not much less than the recommended service interval for most autos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Brute force & ignorance

were used to shoehorn the discarded 24 mm strap from my Moscow Classic into the 22 mm opening on my Aristo :D

192126.jpg

with rather pleasing results. :)

before:
    192127.jpg

after:
    192129.jpg

under non-flashlight conditions the colour of the strap and the dial match perfectly as well, so I'm very happy (particularly as this change cost nothing whatsoever :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Saw a pic of a sunnto core here and had to have one :D
    even on my girly wrists I love it!
    IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg

I've been contemplating about getting one of these for a while now. What's the verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've been contemplating about getting one of these for a while now. What's the verdict?

The negative display is probably the best and worst thing about it.

the bad: it just isnt as easy to read as a positive display (its not bad though)
    the good: the negative display completes the look of the watch, its very light and very comfortable for such a large watch, no problem in recommending it

hal9000 wrote: »
    The negative display is probably the best and worst thing about it.

the bad: it just isnt as easy to read as a positive display (its not bad though)
    the good: the negative display completes the look of the watch, its very light and very comfortable for such a large watch, no problem in recommending it

Agree with ya on that...the neg display is ok....

You can adjust the display, but not much

My Polish P52 submarine surfaced today :D

192271.jpg
    192272.jpg
    192274.jpg

better pics some other time, when I have more light & leisure

Thats pretty big for you P. Looks good.

• Advertisement

That's deceiving. Diameter is "only" 42 mm, which has turned out to be my sweet spot sizewise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement