Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Why didnt the man hand his money to the couple ?

It still doesnt make sense. It doesnt sound like the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The only reason the man might not have handed over his €20 to the couple is he might have been paying with card and they were paying with cash or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Jofspring wrote: »
    The only reason the man might not have handed over his €20 to the couple is he might have been paying with card and they were paying with cash or vice versa.

Both actually wanted to pay by card. Neither had cash on them.

Edit: does it really matter why they were splitting the bill? Either way they went in to avail of the special menu rate and wound up paying way more than expected purely because they wanted to pay separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would have got one of them to pay the €60 by card while the other went to a nearby ATM and repaid the bill payer the €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

source wrote: »
    So my parents had an "interesting" experience in Bella Italia last night.

They met a friend in there and had the early bird offer. When they went to pay they asked if they could split the bill.

No problem... but they were told the early bird price would no longer apply if they did.

Talk about ripping people off.

I have never, ever liked that restaurant. The food is mediocre at best and the staff/waiters are an absolute shower.

I would have taken out €60 from the nearest ATM and told them to politely f*** off with their €30 gouging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Perhaps the order was put into the system during the Early Bird hours, but re-entering it for two separate bills would have been taken as coming after the cut-off point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

There's always an option to leave a review on Tripadvisor and a comment on their Facebook page. I'd be thinking along those lines :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

tippman1 wrote: »
    There's always an option to leave a review on Tripadvisor and a comment on their Facebook page. I'd be thinking along those lines :mad:

Exactly. that story is outrageous. No way in hell I'd accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I've seen on the menu at a few restaurants (not Bella italia mind) that early bird offers can't be split bills. A strange policy.

Couldn't really be a system problem as most tills/systems would allow them to split a ticket for purposes of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

When they were informed because of splitting, the parents bill was then 60, the same as the original, all well and good now in hindsight, but why didnt they just pay for all 3 then out of the 60 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

Felt I had to mention the poor food and service that my sister and I got last Friday when we went to Greens Cafe William St for breakfast- never again!
    The place was dead and the sour waitress and chef quickly and abruptly shot down our request for a small breakfast, the prices ranged from scrambled eggs for 6 euro to 9.50 for full Irish, the most expensive that I ve seen in town.
    We went for the scrambled eggs that were quickly plonked on our trays in a ramakin dish covered in clingfilm fresh out of the microwave.
    They looked and tasted awful, the scrambled eggs a kind of greyish yellow colour if I am honest.
    My sister left most of hers and we met a lovely couple as we were leaving who had the full Irish and had left most of it due to it being inedible.
    It is really terrible in this day and age to experience poor quality and service in such a prime location.
    I will not be stepping foot inside the place ever again.
    There are cheaper and better breakfast options in town such as Arthurs Quay or Smyths.

pebbletroy wrote: »
    Felt I had to mention the poor food and service that my sister and I got last Friday when we went to Greens Cafe William St for breakfast- never again!
    The place was dead and the sour waitress and chef quickly and abruptly shot down our request for a small breakfast, the prices ranged from scrambled eggs for 6 euro to 9.50 for full Irish, the most expensive that I ve seen in town.
    We went for the scrambled eggs that were quickly plonked on our trays in a ramakin dish covered in clingfilm fresh out of the microwave.
    They looked and tasted awful, the scrambled eggs a kind of greyish yellow colour if I am honest.
    My sister left most of hers and we met a lovely couple as we were leaving who had the full Irish and had left most of it due to it being inedible.
    It is really terrible in this day and age to experience poor quality and service in such a prime location.
    There are cheaper and better breakfast options in town such as Arthurs Quay or Smyths.

Loads of nice places for breakfast in that area, O&F and Melt etc. Never eaten there myself but Greene's has always looked like a hangover from the 80s. I had a coffee there one morning while I was waiting for the bus and it was pretty rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gerandy

Went to Greene's one Saturday morning early also a few weeks ago. Must have met the same ignorant older waitress with overall manners of a pig. If it was not exactly on the menu then it could not be got. Don't normally leave reviews but have to backup the original reviewer on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Ate at the French Table the other night , hadnt been there in years....it was fabulous, had the set 3 course meal, really good value for 28 euro, had the lamb excellent quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Was in the Buttery yesterday for lunch. Had the special, a dried up piece of lasagne that had obviously been microwaved to within an inch of its existence, and a bowl of chips that weren't great either. Friend had the philly cheese steak which was ok apparently.

Its such a hit or miss place imo. Had breakfast there recently and it was lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

vkid wrote: »
    Was in the Buttery yesterday for lunch. Had the special, a dried up piece of lasagne that had obviously been microwaved to within an inch of its existence, and a bowl of chips that weren't great either. Friend had the philly cheese steak which was ok apparently.

Its such a hit or miss place imo. Had breakfast there recently and it was lovely.
    Agree on the Buttery they on the right track but seem to be want to trendy but dont do the basics right.Servers a bit like brown thomas girls day we were in

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

Was in buttery for coffee and a scone. Took order and after 15 minutes was told no scones left although I could see others around me getting scones who had ordered after me. Most tables complaining about service, one lady got her breakfast but no tea, another couple ordered a tea and coffee, no coffee. Totally disorganised. I was asked on paying if everything was ok and I expressed my dissatisfaction. The man tried to justify saying lots of customers arrived together, his staff let him down etc....never again....lots of other coffee shops in town.

I didn't think the Buttery was great either. Ordered and then told what I wanted was gone, got a cappuccino and thought it robbery for the size I got.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

The lack of cafés open in the evening is mentioned every now and then. Well, the big café in the Milk Market look like they're opening in the evenings. The café I mean used to be the Sally Mills place - don't know what it's called now, but it seems to be run by a Chinese couple (and very nice they are too). I asked what time they're open to, and they seemed to indicate they're planning on opening to 10 p.m. (Hope I got that right - was a hurried conversation!)

pebbletroy wrote: »

Got a toastie in there Monday and it was rank. Much nicer toasties in the ground floor cafe in Arthur's Quay beside Holland & Barrett. Totally fresh whereas the one in Greene's tasted like a wet sock

• Advertisement

Ate at the French Table the other night , hadnt been there in years....it was fabulous, had the set 3 course meal, really good value for 28 euro, had the lamb excellent quality.

For my money it's hands down the best restaurant in Limerick. Never had a bad meal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Louche Lad wrote: »
    The lack of cafés open in the evening is mentioned every now and then. Well, the big café in the Milk Market look like they're opening in the evenings. The café I mean used to be the Sally Mills place - don't know what it's called now, but it seems to be run by a Chinese couple (and very nice they are too). I asked what time they're open to, and they seemed to indicate they're planning on opening to 10 p.m. (Hope I got that right - was a hurried conversation!)

I think it's great that they are open but it's really not great, from my experience. Maybe it's improved. Sally Mills is definitely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

For my money it's hands down the best restaurant in Limerick. Never had a bad meal there.

I've never eaten there. Is it pricey?

Not particularly. Three course set meal for €28

http://www.frenchtable.ie/eating-out-in-limerick/

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭PIORUN

the slow cooked lamb there is superb alright. Very quiet in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

Gone into to Crust on lower bedford row a few times,plenty of scones,nice coffee,and great service.I was a regular at Butterly but things got bad so time for a change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

PIORUN wrote: »
    the slow cooked lamb there is superb alright. Very quiet in there though.

Quiet is good.alot of places a bit blingy and loud

Awful location though. Puts me right off, no way in hell I'd walk down there at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

Had lunch in Coqbull last weekend with the missus. Our orders were with us in under 5 minutes. Burger tasted ok but was quite greasy. Felt like I had to give my hands a good wash after it. Fries weren't anything spectacular but herself had the sweet potato fries which were nice. Staff were very nice but I wouldn't be running back to the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Is Coqbull the kind of place you could rock up to with 4 small kids for a bit of lunch?

Advertisement