Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The evening menu in Collins' is fantastic, I've said on here before that it rivals any of the fine dining restaurants(if such a thing exists) in town for taste and presentation, glad you enjoyed it.

I had a strange experience last night, hadn't had an indian in a long while so I checked online for reviews etc and saw that Taj(ex copper and spice site) was the Tripadvisor top pick. Ordered a takeaway and when I got in it was just another chipper doing pizzas, kebabs, burgers etc. No sign of an indian menu inside. Assumed I had walked into the wrong place first but they seemed to be cooking the indian food out the back. Food came eventually and was on the lower side of average.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭gleesonger

Any ideas where 10 lads can go for dinner in Limerick city on a Saturday night?
    We're not looking for anything fancy, just decent grub before heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Anybody know if the restaurant in the church is open still? Can't find any recent reviews and the landline won't connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭phog

gleesonger wrote: »

The Texas Steakout. Plain, simple food & reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's up for sale on this site;

http://www.croweproperty.com/residential5.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The evening menu in Collins' is fantastic, I've said on here before that it rivals any of the fine dining restaurants(if such a thing exists) in town for taste and presentation, glad you enjoyed it.

I had a strange experience last night, hadn't had an indian in a long while so I checked online for reviews etc and saw that Taj(ex copper and spice site) was the Tripadvisor top pick. Ordered a takeaway and when I got in it was just another chipper doing pizzas, kebabs, burgers etc. No sign of an indian menu inside. Assumed I had walked into the wrong place first but they seemed to be cooking the indian food out the back. Food came eventually and was on the lower side of average.
    That's disappointing about taj, but spice of India hasn't disappointed us yet. Probably the best Indian in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Had another fantastic meal in Freddy's last night. €26 a head for the three course early bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

gleesonger wrote: »

Coqbull, only just opened and getting good reviews from friends of mine.

source wrote: »
    Coqbull, only just opened and getting good reviews from friends of mine.

Probably a good call right there.
    I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Texas steak out, bog standard food, completely overpriced, dungeon like atmosphere, dreadful staff in my experience, steak rarely cooked as was asked, all extras charged handsomely for. I think it's shocking.

Probably a good call right there.
    I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Texas steak out, bog standard food, completely overpriced, dungeon like atmosphere, dreadful staff in my experience, steak rarely cooked as was asked, all extras charged handsomely for. I think it's shocking.

A bit ott. It's not fine dining but the op wasn't looking for fine dining. I think it has a market and it meets their needs. Imho, its ideal for a lads night meal before they hit the town.

• Advertisement

They did ask for decent grub, I doubt they want to pay the bones of 40 euro for a few dry ribs, an overcooked steak, reheated chips and a side of mushrooms.
    Maybe ott but that is my experience, I'd never go there of my own choosing but I've been there loads for various reasons.

They did ask for decent grub, I doubt they want to pay the bones of 40 euro for a few dry ribs, an overcooked steak, reheated chips and a side of mushrooms.
    Maybe ott but that is my experience, I'd never go there of my own choosing but I've been there loads for various reasons.

Why do people drag you there if it's a bad as you say? I passed it today around 5 and there were decent sized groups coming and going.

Are people that stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Texas steakhouse is rank. Reheated food galore! Fine for those who want meat and 2 veg without call for good quality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I was just gonna ask about Coqbull, I plan on trying it this week so it's good to see favourable reviews.

phog wrote: »
    Why do people drag you there if it's a bad as you say? I passed it today around 5 and there were decent sized groups coming and going.

Are people that stupid?

In my experience yes they are, it appeals to a certain type of no nonsense, no frills, no imagination diner who just wants a big steak with pepper sauce or gravy and a load of chips. The kind who would recoil from most shellfish and complain that the portions are too small in most decent places.
    As this is a restaurant thread I only mean to give advice, the Steak Out will continue to thrive no matter what due to the surplus of this type in and around Limerick. As I said I know plenty and they've got me in there for birthdays, Christmas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya sadly the Texas stakeout has gone seriously down hill in my estimation. My starter was heated in a microwave (soggy garlic bread) and then my girlfriends main came out cold and when sent back it came out soggy as well (enchiladas) you could tell from looking at it they fired it into a microwave to heat up. Haven't gone near the place since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

We had dinner in CoqBull Friday night, it's quite good..service was a bit all over the place but to be fair they are only open a few days...the most important thing....the food, the food was really excellent, I will be back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Went Sunday night with sister to Coqbull and was very disappointed
    Service good and fast plenty of staff(too many had 5 different people serve us
    )
    Food was a big let down.I got the raging bull burger and sister the bulldog one.Mine the burgwr was way too thick(seems to be an irish way) and was very dry not juicy at all,tasted like mince with an oxo cube and the bun was cold toppings were nice tho
    Her burger the sausage was like supermarket hotdog type meat
    And frozen fries
    Deserts were served in a paper tub so not homemade id say
    Not sure what vibe they are going for no smell of grilling going on
    Expensive for what it is
    Sorry shared chicken wings to start grand not mazing tiny and very small dip

Texas steakout fo the basics well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

I just want to put a good word in for Amber over beside the Locke bar. Was there again Saturday night and the food is always amazing and really fresh. They do Thai and some Japanese food. Staff are lovely and main courses are only 10 euro even in the evening time. Well worth a visit

• Advertisement

Had a meal last week in Kaya on O'Connell St, first time since I was in there when it opened and it was beautiful. Had the beef curry for main and it was the nicest I have ever had, so much flavour.

I also had a meal about a month ago in sash at 1 Pery square. The starter wasn't great if I'm being honest but the steak I had for a main was unreal and the portion was huge. Mouth is watering thinking of it.

bigpink wrote: »
    Texas steakout fo the basics well enough

I would even dispute that to be honest but I've said enough already, if you want to go in there and pay top class prices for what they serve up it's your own shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I would even dispute that to be honest but I've said enough already, if you want to go in there and pay top class prices for what they serve up it's your own shout.

Was there last Thursday night for my birthday with five others.
    Food was excellent and the service was quick and friendly. Not sure where all the negative comments about the Steakout are about. I have yet to get a bad meal there or experience poor service tbh. Didn't find it overly expensive either.

Id go to the Texas Steakout deffo over Coqbull after trying it Sunday night.60euro and we werent satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Seen people talk about Khing Thai on here before..
    Anyone know have they a set dinner menu?..

Would it be recommended or aroi/Kaya above it? :)

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Seen people talk about Khing Thai on here before..
    Anyone know have they a set dinner menu?..

Would it be recommended or aroi/Kaya above it? :)

Had takeaway twice very good.Same chef that set up Kaya so must have gone out on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭bennyl10

bigpink wrote: »
    Had takeaway twice very good.Same chef that set up Kaya so must have gone out on his own

Ah really?
    Lovely!

Any idea if they've an evening set menu?

No idea just had takeaway
    The pic of the chef on the menu is same that kanya used when they opened

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭squonk

Not getting the Texas Steakout hatred myself. I suppose every place can have a bad day but I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about the place and we both thought it was fairly consistent, if not high, fine dining. I haven't been in in ages admittedly but any time I was in it was fairly solid and dependable. Yeah, it's kind of old fashioned and caters to clientelle who just want steak and veg and chips but that's not so bad every now and again. Limerick isn't stuck for a shortage of excellent restaurants service all types of food but the steakout is good for those times you just fancy straightforward and handy.

• Advertisement

The microwaving of food was my only gripe with the Texas stakeout and it seems to be a trend in there as I've heard it from a few people now. I don't mind the decor or the staff.

Advertisement