Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

Is Coqbull the kind of place you could rock up to with 4 small kids for a bit of lunch?

Yeah its like a step up from eddie rockets in terms of decor, but the food i think is no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Is Coqbull the kind of place you could rock up to with 4 small kids for a bit of lunch?

Yes, I've been there with kids and there were other tables with kids too.

I think that they're trying to be more than they are. It's just burgers and chips with a cocktail and wine menu. I get the impression that they're trying to attract the cosmopolitan type but the food wont cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I have heard great things about Coqbull in Cork, I'll try it out for myself sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

I have heard great things about Coqbull in Cork, I'll try it out for myself sometime soon.

The menus are the exact same.
    I'd imagine it's just Cork people aren't as refined as Limerick people, thus easier pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Do you need a reservation for Coqbull? :)

Or for Chocolat? Looking to go for a meal tonight or tomorrow and totally forgot to reserve...Is it necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Still time to ring with xmas parties starting but ud get a walk in easy in town all near each other

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

I went to The Treasury last night for the first time and was very impressed. I had heard mixed reviews so I went in with an open mind.

The set menu is good value but options are limited. I went with the a la carte menu, everything was cooked perfectly and tasted great. The atmosphere was just right, it was full but didn't feel crowded. We were seated by an open fire too, which was a plus.

The only negatives are at the entrance. It doesn't look appealing from the outside and I went into the wrong room once I got inside as it's not clear where the actual restaurant is.

But overall, I'd give it a thumbs up and will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

At the risk of causing a massive debate, I went to the Texas Steakout last night and was really happy with everything. Service was impeccable, food was delicious and it was very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

At the risk of causing a massive debate, I went to the Texas Steakout last night and was really happy with everything. Service was impeccable, food was delicious and it was very reasonable too.

Was there a few weeks ago and ditto.....everything was great, food, service & prices.

Going there again next week. Never got a bad meal there so kind of wonder why it gets so much stick here. Ok, it's fairly predictable fare but good nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Im a regular visitor to the Texas Steakout when im in Limerick and i have never had a bad meal there and the online table booking system they have is very handy.They send you a text message confirming all the details as well.It is a place that draws the ire of the gourmet snobs but each to their own.For casual mid range dining it's hard to beat it and i include equivalent restaurants of that category in other parts of Ireland as well.If people don't like it well no one is forcing them at gun point to eat there.As it is the Texas Steakout has more than enough loyal and happy customers built up over the years.:)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

I got into Coqbull eventually with the kids. Service was absolutely excellent, they were fabulous with the kids and extremely friendly overall.
    Kids meals were very good and well priced, free squash was provided. Kids burgers were huge (same as adults it seemed) and the chicken and mac and cheese were lovely.
    Our own burgers were only alright, I forgot there was an option to order it medium and just ordered it, it had a nice blue cheese dressing but it was dry enough, chips were average.
    I had some nice wings but they were pricy.
    I'll give it another shot but the best burgers are still in Brews Brothers in Castletroy.
    Coqbull does have a very nice décor and as I said I couldn't fault the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I love the Texas Steakout. They do great lunch there and I've never been disappointed with what I got. The country music there makes a change from the usual mainstream pop ****e that you find in most other places although I can imagine that it would grate on the nerves of the staff after a while.
    The worst place I've been in Limerick is the Hi-Way Restaurant in Dooradoyle. I got a rather bland "Cheese Lover's Burger" with a sliver of burnt cheese over the top accompanied by a bowl of mash and veg with no sauce whatsoever. I should have went across the road to The Unicorn instead!!

Any feedback on the thai gourmet

bigpink wrote: »
    Any feedback on the thai gourmet

Not everyone agrees with me, it's been discussed before, but I think it is poor enough and very inauthentic compared with the newer places in town. it's a throwback to when people didn't know what Thai food was. If you like Chinese food from the plethora of identical places all over Limerick you might like it but you would be far better off in any other Thai place in town. (IMO of course, many people have expressed disagreement when I voiced this opinion before:o)

Or Khing by the Garda station

bigpink wrote: »
    Or Khing by the Garda station

That is a very good Thai restaurant in my opinion, it's been very well reviewed on here by others as well, I've not heard a bad word said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Taikichi Damage by fire last nite http://dlvr.it/Cz24Bv

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Discussion/speculation into an ongoing legal case in Ireland can lead to contempt of court charges (i.e. is illegal) so cannot be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Finally got to try Papaz. Really nice fresh food, good service and very reasonably priced. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

vkid wrote:
    Finally got to try Papaz. Really nice fresh food, good service and very reasonably priced. Yum.

My 4th weekend in a row going there next weekend..... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Tried Lana in Castletroy recently even though I had a sense that it was a bit of an attempt at a knock-off of Aroi and wasn't very impressed. I was given the completely wrong order (probably because our order wasn't written down), food in take away boxes that you had to tip into a bowl seemed silly, plastic cutlery, not great service or atmosphere... it all seemed a bit gimmicky which I'd forgive if the food was great but mine was meh. My friend liked their dish a lot more, though.

I was gonna give it another go for take away but having just grabbed something from Aroi for the first time in ages I think I'll stick with them as it's consistently so good. The rise in prices doesn't seem to apply to take away which was a nice surprise, too.

Went to Khling.
    Food very good..service good and frienlu just need to work on the atmosphere a bit and decor at entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Tried Khing Thai again for lunch. Fourth time there I think and we finally branched out from our favourite dishes to try something new and my God, it was good.

Crazy amount of food for a 10 Euro lunch and so tasty. The three flavour sauce is ridiculous and I love that the default spice level is pretty high. We're lucky as there are a few very decent options for Thai in Limerick but this is fast becoming a favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

So sickened to hear about Taikichi, I hope it reopens soon. Every time I went there it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

We've had two very good meals in the past week:

Lunch at Amber - €10 for the main meal, excellently done as usual, very good value.

Takeaway fish & chips from the Rene Cusack Fishbar at the Milk Market. Good quality cod, expertly fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I heard Taikichi is for sale? Anybody know if this is true? If so, it's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,005 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tim76 wrote: »
    I heard Taikichi is for sale? Anybody know if this is true? If so, it's a disgrace.

Their owner said on Facebook that they reopened yesterday. No idea if they're thinking of selling but it wasn't mentioned by the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Marco polo - was here over the weekend. No idea how this place is so busy. Food and service is average at best. Wouldn't be in a rush back but each to their own.
    Big fan of rene cusacks place in the market. So tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Went to Coqbull for lunch - not impressed! Don't like the decor (whats with the uncomfortable chairs salvaged from a primary school?!), food was decidedly average and the service left no impression on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Went to Coqbull for lunch - not impressed! Don't like the decor (whats with the uncomfortable chairs salvaged from a primary school?!), food was decidedly average and the service left no impression on me.

Another Coqbull story.

Sorry.

Advertisement