Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Dracula!

Jofspring wrote: »
    The microwaving of food was my only gripe with the Texas stakeout and it seems to be a trend in there as I've heard it from a few people now. I don't mind the decor or the staff.

Yes anytime I was in there it was either a hot plate overused or a micro wave as the food was piping hot and burned my tongue !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Dracula! wrote: »
    Yes anytime I was in there it was either a hot plate overused or a micro wave as the food was piping hot and burned my tongue !

I don't go out to eat what I can rustle up at home with a bag of oven chips, a pack of knorr sauce and a 4 euro steak from a good butcher, I don't want to eat my dinner in a dungeon and pay 30e before drinks.
    Many people do but why are they bothering to even read a restaurant thread, they know what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Has anyone tried Lana Street Food in Castletroy yet? I had hoped to try it today but never got there.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

h3000 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Lana Street Food in Castletroy yet? I had hoped to try it today but never got there.

I've tried it and I think it was 1 of the nicest lunches I've had in a very long time

Nice street food type service (everything in cartons/plastic cutlery), the food was 1 some of the nicest Thai food I've had, I had Lamb something (staff pick) with noodles, all top quality. Nice touch they have is that they give you a cone with your dinner and have an ice cream machine by the door, nice feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Clareman wrote: »
    I've tried it and I think it was 1 of the nicest lunches I've had in a very long time

Nice street food type service (everything in cartons/plastic cutlery), the food was 1 some of the nicest Thai food I've had, I had Lamb something (staff pick) with noodles, all top quality. Nice touch they have is that they give you a cone with your dinner and have an ice cream machine by the door, nice feature.

Interesting about the ice cream - is it a thing now? Aroi have an ice cream counter, but I assumed that was just a carry-over from the previous undertaking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Interesting about the ice cream - is it a thing now? Aroi have an ice cream counter, but I assumed that was just a carry-over from the previous undertaking.

Don't know, it was a nice touch and was a fun thing for me and the people with me for lunch, I don't think I've ever made my own ice-cream cone before

I'll have to give it a go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I don't go out to eat what I can rustle up at home with a bag of oven chips, a pack of knorr sauce and a 4 euro steak from a good butcher, I don't want to eat my dinner in a dungeon and pay 30e before drinks.
    Many people do but why are they bothering to even read a restaurant thread, they know what they like.

Ok, we get it - you don't like the Steakout, no need for the sour sarcasm though, we can read this thread if we like, without putting up with your cynical comments. Try to be constructive when posting or just refrain if you have nothing better to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Louche Lad wrote: »

I was thinking they just copied Aroi with the ice cream. They kinda just copied Aroi's whole idea but I tried Lana last night and I must say it was delicious. Tasty, quick and reasonably priced.

Aroi has also recently opened in Kilkenny. It looks lovely. One of the things that puts me off Aroi is that it's quite a small restaurant and they're always busy...I'm sure they don't mind that though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Everything about Lana seems to be heavily inspired by Aroi from the logo to the decor and the ice cream. I won't have any complaints if it's as nice though and am looking forward to trying it.

Also noticed from Aroi's website that their prices have gone up since I was there last. Their portions were always very generous though so it's probably still decent value overall.

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »
    Ok, we get it - you don't like the Steakout, no need for the sour sarcasm though, we can read this thread if we like, without putting up with your cynical comments. Try to be constructive when posting or just refrain if you have nothing better to say.

Fair enough, I can't let some things go unchallenged I suppose. I have lots of experience of the steak out, I've never left and thought it was good, never once. The one that cracks me up is that it is reasonably priced for dinner.
    I have lots of posts in this thread and I've always been fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Fair enough, I can't let some things go unchallenged I suppose. I have lots of experience of the steak out, I've never left and thought it was good, never once. The one that cracks me up is that it is reasonably priced for dinner.
    I have lots of posts in this thread and I've always been fair.

Steakout would not be for me either.

One place I've been a few times but just don't consider anymore as its not great, average at best.

Lots of better places to be eating really!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tried Alfies (fish & chip shop) in Ballycummin beside the bar of the same name last night and the chips were of a very good quality. Menu for the place is decent too, hopefully it gets a good bit of business now that the bar is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mc Love wrote: »
    Tried Alfies (fish & chip shop) in Ballycummin beside the bar of the same name last night and the chips were of a very good quality. Menu for the place is decent too, hopefully it gets a good bit of business now that the bar is there.

Haven't tried Alfies yet. I can't remember the name of the previous chipper that was there (Was it Slattery's or was there another one since?) but I didn't like it and kind of became loyal to Tony's in Raheen after that, and I have to say, I think he'd be hard to beat.

Sounds great, I noticed just now that they are advertising along with kaya in the post, must be one and the same (maybe that's been established), they do a great lamb rendang curry in kaya with slow cooked meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Sounds great, I noticed just now that they are advertising along with kaya in the post, must be one and the same (maybe that's been established), they do a great lamb rendang curry in kaya with slow cooked meat.

Had that very dish in Kaya twice in recent times and it was superb.

At least Swiper and I agree about some things culinary.... :D

Haven't tried Alfies yet. I can't remember the name of the previous chipper that was there (Was it Slattery's or was there another one since?) but I didn't like it and kind ofbecame loyal to Tony's in Raheen after that, and I have to say, I think he'd be hard to be.
    Yep it was slatterys, always thought it was grand. Shared the bag with my housemates and they agreed the chips were very nice from alfies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yep it was slatterys, always thought it was grand. Shared the bag with my housemates and they agreed the chips were very nice from alfies

I always found Slattery's chips were a bit raw. I'll give Alfie's a try at some stage and report back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Anyone have anything to good or bad to say about Coqbull? :) had a quick search through the thread and it seems like it can be hit and miss!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I wouldnt bother for the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭moby2101

Anyone have anything to good or bad to say about Coqbull? :) had a quick search through the thread and it seems like it can be hit and miss!

Has dinner there last week a few days after it opened and it was really very good.... I see a lot of bad reviews on herewtho' it can be very hit and miss with a new restaurant for a while

Dry too big burgers no taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

bigpink wrote: »
    Dry too big burgers no taste

Agree with you!

Best burger in Limerick?
    I had high hopes for Coqbull, surprised to see the burgers getting a slating.
    I like the burgers in that gourmet burger joint in castletroy, brew brothers??good chips and sauces there as well, I had a fantastic burger in the savoy hotel one day also,
    The new supermacs 5oz burger is very good also.

Had a take away meal from Khing Thai tonight and I was very pleased with it. The panang was delicious and a nice change from the usual Chinese on a Friday

Had a take away meal from Khing Thai tonight and I was very pleased with it. The panang was delicious and a nice change from the usual Chinese on a Friday

I had the prawn Penang from there only last night, got some lovely Thai fish cakes as well, it's a very good spot.

Don't get me started on Irish chinese food or I'll offend a lot more people than I did with my steak out rants:o

Skuxx wrote: »
    Agree with you!

Seems to be an irish thing burger has to be very thick then over thickness its over cooked making it dry.
    Also the meat in coqbull tasted like mince with oxo cube

Just got a take away from Lana this evening and it was lovely. Very similar in taste to Kaya, which is a good thing. The place was mobbed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Just got a take away from Lana this evening and it was lovely. Very similar in taste to Kaya, which is a good thing. The place was mobbed too.

Where is Lana?

• Advertisement

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Where is Lana?

Across the road from The Hurlers in Castletroy.

Advertisement