Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

phog wrote: »
    Their owner said on Facebook that they reopened yesterday. No idea if they're thinking of selling but it wasn't mentioned by the owner.
    The building is for sale for ages as a going concern afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

vkid wrote:
    Marco polo - was here over the weekend. No idea how this place is so busy. Food and service is average at best. Wouldn't be in a rush back but each to their own. Big fan of rene cusacks place in the market. So tasty.

+1

I really don't see the appeal of Marco Polo. I can't stand the place. It's so noisy and the menu is just all over the place. It offers everything from pizza to Chinese to seafood and doesn't get any of the right. I much prefer restaurants stick to one thing and does it well rather than catering for all and sundry.

I'm really surprised about the negative reviews of coqbull on here. I've only been there once but really enjoyed it. Different vibe to any other restaurant in limerick. The chorizo fries I got where also to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

For what it's worth, I really like Coqbull and I think Marco Polo is ****e too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Ate in Azur last week - all fine, nothing mind-blowing. Good service but they are still using SLATES! i cringed when we were handed our starters on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Parchment wrote: »
    Ate in Azur last week - all fine, nothing mind-blowing. Good service but they are still using SLATES! i cringed when we were handed our starters on them.

https://twitter.com/wewantplates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Had lunch in Coqbull last Friday, the burger was excellent, very moist and good quality beef and the service was very good.
    Yesterday had the burger in Delish, it was also really good, homemade on a lovely bun, it was huge I couldn't finish it.
    Had the burger in the Curraghgower a few weeks ago and it was dreadful, bought in frozen processed 'meat' patty. They don't advertise it as homemade and that should have been a warning, I'll know in future to ask in a restaurant. It can't be a huge effort for a restaurant to make a burger from scratch surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭moby2101

zulutango wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I really like Coqbull and I think Marco Polo is ****e too.

Agree 100% I wouldn't let my cat eat in Marco Polo,, Went with a group of friends to CoqBull on Tuesday night, good food and great service....had the seafood platter Ada main and chicken wings to start....v tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Marco Polo, the Jasmine, Chocolat & the Woking are all owned by the same people I think.

All pretty ordinary to below par fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

le_girl wrote: »
    Tried Khing Thai again for lunch. Fourth time there I think and we finally branched out from our favourite dishes to try something new and my God, it was good.

Crazy amount of food for a 10 Euro lunch and so tasty. The three flavour sauce is ridiculous and I love that the default spice level is pretty high. We're lucky as there are a few very decent options for Thai in Limerick but this is fast becoming a favourite.

I can back this praise up.

Was there Xmas Eve and was blown away. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Looking for a meal over the next few days. We usually go to Bambu or Z wee ton for a nice lunch. Considering something different this time for dinner. Options are Khing Thai, Marco Polo, Chocolat, Texas Steakhouse.

From reading the last ten pages or so I'll need some solid input from ye as its a mixed bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

What do you want in specific? A dinner calibre lunch or something lighter

What do you want in specific? A dinner calibre lunch or something lighter

Standard starter and main affair is fine by me. Nothing too greasy and the missus wants something spicy.

Khing Thai has gotten the most consistently good reviews here lately. We were thinking Marco Polo but the good people of this thread seem to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Very impressed with Khing Thai. Staff very nice, food really tasty and reasonably priced.

Couldn't figure out the lunches in Khing Thai earlier. €15 for three course lunch (coffee I assume, not dessert) or €10++ soft drink. Written as:

Set Lunch
    3 course
    €15.00
    €10.00++
    soft drink.

Couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Couldn't figure out the lunches in Khing Thai earlier. €15 for three course lunch (coffee I assume, not dessert) or €10++ soft drink. Written as:

Set Lunch
    3 course
    €15.00
    €10.00++
    soft drink.

I think it's €10 for a main course plus drink. €15 for a starter and main course (plus drink or coffee I'm guessing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Set Lunch
    3 course
    €15.00
    €10.00++
    soft drink.

Maybe "€10.00++ soft drink" means a main course + a soft drink? €10 seems to be the going rate in town for the main course for an Asian meal. And a main+soft drink would perhaps be pitched at office workers looking for a quick but good meal.

But I agree, whatever it means, it is very confusing.

Edited to add: I didn't see le_girl got there first with the same theory.

I assume I could leave the tea/coffee in favour of a soft drink for the €15. What do ye think? Can't stand hot drinks with/after my food :D

Just in from lunch at Khing Thai. Very very nice, in my opinion. The spicy chicken wings were lovely and the crispy duck was top notch. Very big portions and the staff were lovely.

Thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Had the duck salad from Khing Thai during the week, oh good lord my mouth was burnt off me! I like spicey food but way too hot, such a pity because it was so nice otherwise and great value

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Delighted to see such positivity towards Khing Thai, hopefully they can keep the consistency up, great food ad pleasant staff.
    I had a superb bento box and Aubergine side dish in Taikicgi today, I seriously think that it can hold its own with any Asian restaurant in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Delighted to see such positivity towards Khing Thai, hopefully they can keep the consistency up, great food ad pleasant staff.
    I had a superb bento box and Aubergine side dish in Taikicgi today, I seriously think that it can hold its own with any Asian restaurant in the country.

Seems that many of people's favourite restaurants in the city are Asian (Khing Thai, Taikichi, Amber, Aroi).

What does this mean? That Asian chefs/restaurateurs just are simply better? That Asian food is simply better? That food from other cultural backgrounds is mostly poorer quality somehow, or overpriced? That Asians prefer restaurant careers more than non-Asians? That people's tastes are changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

The bento boxes in Taikichi are amazing. Had the beef teriyaki & the SO had the seafood there recently, delicious.

Had the burger in the Curraghgower a few weeks ago and it was dreadful, bought in frozen processed 'meat' patty. They don't advertise it as homemade and that should have been a warning, I'll know in future to ask in a restaurant. It can't be a huge effort for a restaurant to make a burger from scratch surely?

Would def agree. Normally I'm a big fan of the Curragower, but had the burger there myself a couple of months back and it was absolutely disgusting. Think I'll just stick to the seafood (and chicken wings!) in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Had a meal in Brimstone again over the weekend. And haved to say it was perfect we both had the rib eye . And it was very good the barman in there mixed us some cocktails as well very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭PIORUN

Best Kebab in town guys???? Turkuaz ??

PIORUN wrote: »

Haven't had Turkuaz in a while and the last time I was there it was a bit hazy. :o

Went to Istanbul Kebab on Denmark St at the weekend and it was well tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Turkuaz is delicious as is Kabana a few doors down.

Their Chicken Shish Kebab (House Speciality) is to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Turkuaz is probably the best; the quality of food, the amount of food, the chilli sauce is ridiculously nice.

I'm a fan of Munster Kebab too, it's quite decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Quick question about Coqbull.

Is it a fancy chipper or a place you could bring the OH for a nice meal for two?

I'm not remotely snobby nor am I overly picky about food, but having read reviews and looked at the menu I'm finding it hard to decide what vibe they're going for :D Any clues?

I was also looking at Freddy's, would it be a better bet than Coqbull for a casually romantic(ish) dinner? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Quick question about Coqbull.

Is it a fancy chipper or a place you could bring the OH for a nice meal for two?

I'm not remotely snobby nor am I overly picky about food, but having read reviews and looked at the menu I'm finding it hard to decide what vibe they're going for :D Any clues?

I was also looking at Freddy's, would it be a better bet than Coqbull for a casually romantic(ish) dinner? :)

Would be a good spot for a casual date without breaking the bank.
    It's a level above a fancy chipper, decor is funky and there's generally a good vibe there, but probably not a spot for romance.

Advertisement