Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Gave myself a brain injury trying to decipher the menu in Coqbull earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Treepole wrote: »
    Would be a good spot for a casual date without breaking the bank.
    It's a level above a fancy chipper, decor is funky and there's generally a good vibe there, but probably not a spot for romance.

Ideal, sounds like what I was aiming for. Thanks for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Treepole wrote: »
    Would be a good spot for a casual date without breaking the bank.
    It's a level above a fancy chipper, decor is funky and there's generally a good vibe there, but probably not a spot for romance.

It's so bloody loud in there. That's what turns me off the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

zulutango wrote: »
    It's so bloody loud in there. That's what turns me off the most.
    Seems to be a fixture in a lot of the "hip" places.

Wanted something bad for me tonight so I went for a kebab from Munster Pizza on Henry Street. By far the worst thing I've ever eaten in Limerick.

Dried, crunchy 'meat', doughy bread, a big lump of salad and horrible chips. One to avoid.

A pity because the place that was there before was cracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

Tried to go back to Khing Thai twice this past week for lunch but it was closed both times for some reason. We arrived 30 minutes and 10 minutes past the normal opening hours and tried calling but no answer. No word on their Facebook page about any issues but they have been active on there so I presume they're still open?

We've had killer cravings for their stuff as it's so good but we'll just have to wait it seems :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I was in there for lunch on Tue last around 1pm. and they were open as usual.
    Was pretty quiet though at that time - just two other people besides myself.
    Service was quick though and the food was excellent. Will be back there soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Wanted something bad for me tonight so I went for a kebab from Munster Pizza on Henry Street. By far the worst thing I've ever eaten in Limerick.

Dried, crunchy 'meat', doughy bread, a big lump of salad and horrible chips. One to avoid.

A pity because the place that was there before was cracking.

If you want a kebab go to Turkuaz or Kabana on "Kebab Row" down in the market.

Tried Clover for takeaway at the weekend. It was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Tried kebana recently. Not a big kebab person, but was close so gave it a shot. Lovely. Will go back.

• Advertisement

Red King wrote: »
    Tried Clover for takeaway at the weekend. It was nice.

I walk past there all the time and never see anybody in there except a few staff who are constantly polishing things. I've no idea how they're still in business.

I walk past there all the time and never see anybody in there except a few staff who are constantly polishing things. I've no idea how they're still in business.

Likewise. The takeaway was nice but nothing special. I wouldn't exactly be running back there or shouting about it.

It seems Khing Thai is the place to go for Thai in the city. Haven't tried it yet myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Same! I thought it looked like a furniture show room or something! Not a sinner in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Parchment wrote: »
    Same! I thought it looked like a furniture show room or something! Not a sinner in there.

Problem is that the food in Clover is average at best, it isn't in the same league at all as the other recent Asian additions to the Limerick restaurant scene.

Things have gotten so bad (good:P) that I have't even been in to Aroi in about six months, the options are so strong now that I gave Clover one chance and it won't get another unless I read from a few people here that they've upped their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was in Sash (No1Pery Sq) recently, would recommend it, lovely food and nice setting.

I also tried Lana in Castletroy recently, they were busy. Couple next to us ordered before us but had to remind the waiter about their meal, they had ordered before we sat down and we were well into our meal before theirs arrived. We liked out food but I think Aroi is nicer. Lana seem to give an ice cream cone with their dish which you fill yourself, if they do it for all dishes then they forgot us :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Got a take away from WokKing last night, very disappointing. Will be sticking with Zwe Ton for the foreseeable anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

phog wrote: »
    I was in Sash (No1Pery Sq) recently, would recommend it, lovely food and nice setting.
    Would you go there "encore une fois"?
    hoohoohoohooo :pac: :o

Got a take away from WokKing last night, very disappointing. Will be sticking with Zwe Ton for the foreseeable anyway.

Working is s kip. Sorry but it needs to be said. All the more surprising given both its location and the fact it is owned by the same people that own the Jasmine and Zwe Ton.

Personally I think the Jasmine has long traded on old glories and the cheap nuffet. Last time I was there it was filthy (dirty carpet, cutlery and tables) and the service was terrible.

But I am willing to admit that people still sing its praises and Zwe-ton seems to get great reviews.

I've never gone to the latter having been put off by my experience in the other two.

The same people also own Chocolat (nice) and Marco Polo (awful)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Limerick foodie:pac: gets her comeuppance here. Probably not the perfect thread for this but as it's the food thread it could entertain. The level of this womans ignorance is astonishing, even worse is her command of the English language.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/real-life/heres-another-amazing-comeback-to-a-tripadvisor-review-this-time-from-a-michelin-starred-chef-380763.html?ref=yfp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Working is s kip. Sorry but it needs to be said. All the more surprising given both its location and the fact it is owned by the same people that own the Jasmine and Zwe Ton.

Personally I think the Jasmine has long traded on old glories and the cheap nuffet. Last time I was there it was filthy (dirty carpet, cutlery and tables) and the service was terrible.

But I am willing to admit that people still sing its praises and Zwe-ton seems to get great reviews.

I've never gone to the latter having been put off by my experience in the other two.

We never tried wokking before. We usually get ZweTon but as both of us were hungover and the latter don't deliver we said we would give wokking a turn. In my first post I mentioned it was disappointing...it was more than that, it was awful. The slimiest, bland chicken I've ever tasted in my life, utterly flavourless...and barely any in the dish...the same was to be said about the beef...oh and the price, it was easily a tenner dearer than what we usually pay.

• Advertisement

Marco Polo is grand if you get the 2 course for €15 option. If you're paying any more it's not worth your time alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chocolat is gone down hill imo, their menu is gone to crap and there is nowhere near the selection or value in it anymore.

I haven't been in Woking in years (the one on O'Connell St), since they stopped opening past midnight at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Used to love the Woking but it's gone to pot in the last few years. Zweton isn't much better these days and don't get me started on Marco polo. They have been left behind by the competition and have fallen way back. Much better options around these days.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Chocolat is gone down hill imo

I never thought it was much good. A real middle of the road place.

Hamptons is quickly approaching that standard too. I used to be a big fan of it , but having been there a few times lately it's clear that both the quality of the food and the service have really plummeted. The meat in the burger I got last time out was something not fit for a stray dog. No idea where they are sourcing it but it's just very poor quality. And I had a strawberry pavlova that was mostly cream, and what wasn't cream was something akin to rubber. The service is used to be somewhat elegant but now it's all a bit too familiar and colloquial for my liking. I wonder are their waiting staff actually trained (are any waiting staff in any restaurant trained these days?) or do they just fire them into the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

We never tried wokking before. We usually get ZweTon but as both of us were hungover and the latter don't deliver we said we would give wokking a turn. In my first post I mentioned it was disappointing...it was more than that, it was awful. The slimiest, bland chicken I've ever tasted in my life, utterly flavourless...and barely any in the dish...the same was to be said about the beef...oh and the price, it was easily a tenner dearer than what we usually pay.

ZweTon in Denmark Street deliver - 061 313 111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The service is used to be somewhat elegant but now it's all a bit too familiar and colloquial for my liking.

Whats wrong with waiting staff being nice and friendly? :)

I meant to write in this thread earlier. I've eaten in Da Vincezo's in The George Hotel a couple of times over the last few months and am in total 'amore' with the place. The food is so fresh and probably the most authentic Italian fare you will get outside Italy. The owner is really passionate about his produce and has tailor made dishes to our liking when we've been in there.

For all the Boards lovers out there I would really recommend the Wine Flight menu for something special for Valentine's day. Wines are selected for each course of the meal and are tailored to the compliment the food. I got this the last time and it was fab.

panda100 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with waiting staff being nice and friendly? :)

It's just a bit rough. I liked it before when it was the only place in the city where the staff had real class. These days I wouldn't be surprised to hear them say "Are you alrite der luv?" when taking the order.

What's the story with Thai Gourmet? Is it open?

Was in Marco Polo last night for a casual date with herself. Never again.

The soup was tasty, but it was served with a dessert spoon and 1 slice of brown bread that had one side dry, one moist (evidently was on the end of the loaf for a while).

The burger was fine, but was served with a measly enough serving of chips and no salad. As you can imagine it was a bare looking plate!

Very disappointing because Marco Polo wasn't a bad spot for a bargain meal.

• Advertisement

Had Khing Thai for lunch yesterday. Continues to impress.

Advertisement