Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimb43

ity is yeah i know what you mean decor wise but the chef is tops, tell him bossman sent you ( im not the boss) this is what he call me must be a figure of speech ?? but the food is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Parchment wrote: »
    Best, least-MSG-y Chinese takeaway in the city centre?

Preferably one with lots of decent vegetarian options.

You'd be lucky to find one! Best chinese for me is Chinese Palace in Roxboro, very good value too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Best, least-MSG-y Chinese takeaway in the city centre?

Preferably one with lots of decent vegetarian options.

Go to Dragon I in Patrickswell, I know it's not in the city center or even in Limerick city but the chef is against MSG.
    My otherhalf and I highly recommend this place
    http://www.dragoni.ie/

I don't know any chinese take away in the city without MSG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

elmolesto wrote: »
    Go to Dragon I in Patrickswell,

+1 for Dragon I. It's definitely a bit more expensive than your average Chinese restaurant, but is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can i ask is the cornstore really as nice as it's cracked up to be? Thinking of heading there Friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Can i ask is the cornstore really as nice as it's cracked up to be? Thinking of heading there Friday :)

I love the place. Really think the food is top notch. They do a good steak, always cooked to perfection. Their chicken wing starter is beautiful if a little messy. Don't think you can go wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I dont think its AMAZING-AMAZING-AMAZING but it is very good at what it does and VERY good for a restaurant in Limerick. I have never come away unhappy from the place. Go for it!I just mentioned to my other half that we must go for a meal there soon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

It's good but no Freddie's

Very good service and haven't had a bad meal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

shaka wrote: »
    It's good but no Freddie's

Very good service and haven't had a bad meal

One of the few who doesnt like Freddys. Manager woman(could be owner) always found to be pig ignorant..
    And theyre risotto.. its a stretch to call it food.. chicken there tastes like rubber also.. gave it 4 tries.. everytime unimpressed.. try and comain/comment & treated like dirt..

Quite young myself always kinda made feel like i dont belong there .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

Don't mind the cornstore but the upstairs is always like an oven.

• Advertisement

One of the few who doesnt like Freddys. Manager woman(could be owner) always found to be pig ignorant..
    And theyre risotto.. its a stretch to call it food.. chicken there tastes like rubber also.. gave it 4 tries.. everytime unimpressed.. try and comain/comment & treated like dirt..

Quite young myself always kinda made feel like i dont belong there .

Well been going to Freddie's since I'm 20 and over the years ive tried every restaurant in limerick ( and most in cork,Kerry,galway and dublin) and freddies is still no.1 by a considerable margin.

Their risotto is beautiful in fact one of my favourites, correct consistency instead of the slop usually dished up in a lot of places.

I don't eat chicken when out but sister in law raves about it there. Strange..

definitely never found anything like that, in fact it's where all my family including the outlaws and friends go for a celebration

Go to Dragon I in Patrickswell, I know it's not in the city center or even in Limerick city but the chef is against MSG.
    My otherhalf and I highly recommend this place
    http://www.dragoni.ie/

I don't know any chinese take away in the city without MSG.

i took a look at the menu- it looks so good! is it as impressive as the menu sounds?! i dont know how i have missed this place so far!

Went into smokin joes ( old eddie rockets) tonight , absolute muck.

Amazing galettes again from Bon Appetit in The Milk Market. They were so busy (they deserve to be) but the food was still perfect and service was friendly and sincere as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

Amazing galettes again from Bon Appetit in The Milk Market. They were so busy (they deserve to be) but the food was still perfect and service was friendly and sincere as always!
    I'm a very regular customer of theirs and have to say the Breakfast Crepe is just amazing. Best brekkie in town IMHO

Sorry to ask again but any opinions on Dragon I in Patrickswell? I was considering Sunday lunch there tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭djdunny

Does anyone know is there a pub or restaurant doing carvery a bit later than normal today? Preferably about 530-6 and on the castletroy side of town?

Paging Mc Love. Mc Love to the hungry thread please. What's the story with Mizzonis? I moved back to the city recently from NCW (they were taking too long to open Mizzonis out there :P ) and had a craving for a pizza the other night. No answer from them and couldn't order online. Drove past it earlier and it doesn't look closed down.

Paging Mc Love. Mc Love to the hungry thread please. What's the story with Mizzonis? I moved back to the city recently from NCW (they were taking too long to open Mizzonis out there :P ) and had a craving for a pizza the other night. No answer from them and couldn't order online. Drove past it earlier and it doesn't look closed down.

Closed unfortunately dude - tbh I wrote to Mizzoni's and one of them got back to me themselves saying they didnt know if and when they would re-open. Its a pity!

Rooney to let signs on the windows too - found it much nicer that PJ's!

Tbh they never really marketed it despite advice from me on the best places to advertise, distribute flyers etc. They opened just at the start of pig n porter and said it would be ideal to sponsor it and have a stand but it looks like they didnt do a thing! There's only so much business from word of mouth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is this the place that did the huge pizzas?

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Closed unfortunately dude - tbh I wrote to Mizzoni's and one of them got back to me themselves saying they didnt know if and when they would re-open. Its a pity!

Rooney to let signs on the windows too - found it much nicer that PJ's!

Tbh they never really marketed it despite advice from me on the best places to advertise, distribute flyers etc. They opened just at the start of pig n porter and said it would be ideal to sponsor it and have a stand but it looks like they didnt do a thing! There's only so much business from word of mouth

I am sickened. Didn't even notice the Rooney signs. Ah well. Hopefully it will open again. As you said, I think the marketing let them down. Their phone is still active anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How long did they last?Never got to try.They a chain?

bigpink wrote: »
    How long did they last?Never got to try.They a chain?

2 years or so? Could be less, could be more. Ya, they have branches nationwide

was no where near a year was it? Hope they re-open down here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

shaka wrote: »
    Went into smokin joes ( old eddie rockets) tonight , absolute muck.

Which one did you go to Shaka? I always thought the Crescent was nicer than O' Connell St somehow.
    I was in the one in Ennis over the weekend and thought it was fine. I haven't been in any of the others since they changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

i took a look at the menu- it looks so good! is it as impressive as the menu sounds?! i dont know how i have missed this place so far!

The food is really nice, well presented and you never leave the place feeling bloated like other chinese restaurants.
    The setting is really nice as well, it's inside a very old cottage.
    Go for it, it's reasonably priced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful for early bird Thursday, is Marco Polos the best value in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Which one did you go to Shaka? I always thought the Crescent was nicer than O' Connell St somehow.
    I was in the one in Ennis over the weekend and thought it was fine. I haven't been in any of the others since they changed though.

The one in town is absolute dirt. Coonagh is the best one it seems. Never had a bad meal in there and lovely staff too.. unlike town :pac:

The food is really nice, well presented and you never leave the place feeling bloated like other chinese restaurants.
    The setting is really nice as well, it's inside a very old cottage.
    Go for it, it's reasonably priced as well.

I went there on Sunday - it wasnt open until 4! I will persevere though! Thanks.

• Advertisement

I was in the one on o Connell st. They may have tried to keep menu almost identical to eddie rockets but i doubt they are using any of the original suppliers. Everything tasted bad. Three hungry lads coming from the rugby and we all left half of our food behind us. My wife had been in week before and said it was terrible then too. Chocolate malts were even wrong, how can you get that wrong? Never again

Advertisement