Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for airsoft lovers to take action!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

Firing squads do nothing for airsoft imho I'd actually like to see them stopped at IAA/IASRA affiliated sites.

Exclusion from a game for cheating and banning for repeated offenses will be far more effective.

Nobody should be banned if they chrono a gun at the start of a skirmish and its over the limit hopefully you will have a backup which is ok and you can play on. At least you were willing to chrono it and as surprised as anyone else with the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

hoplite wrote: »
    Firing squads do nothing for airsoft imho I'd actually like to see them stopped at IAA/IASRA affiliated sites.

Exclusion from a game for cheating and banning for repeated offenses will be far more effective.

Nobody should be banned if they chrono a gun at the start of a skirmish and its over the limit hopefully you will have a backup which is ok and you can play on. At least you were willing to chrono it and as surprised as anyone else with the reading.

My concern is when I always say " wow holy ****, thats not right" are marshalls etc going " o here we go again someone trying to trick me" I hope my reputation proceeds me in these matters, but then again who knows.

There will definetly need to be standards set for chronographing should something like this be creditable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

like i always say firing squads are scummy....

being a part of a firing squad just brings you down to the same level as the guy who didnt take hits...

firing squads in my eyes are a form of bullying and it is demeaning to be on the receiving end of one, i would gladly leave the site rather than stand in front of a firing squad...its not that im afraid of getting hit, why most of the time a volunteer to test out new guns lol, i stood 15 feet in front of a lipo powered gun, to see how it would feel to get hit so many times in just a few seconds of shooting...

But best of luck to any site that tries to put me in front of a firing squad, considering i always take my hits(when i am aware of it of course, i used to wear a molle vest so im pretty sure there was times i didnt feel/hear a hit), so i doubt i will ever be asked to stand in front of one, and if im asked to be a part of the firing squad itself, id tell that person to go shove it up ther a$$, im no bully, and i dont intend on being one either....

as for the chronoing issue, doc is right about chronoing outdoors, it can seriously toss a reading

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭vkchris

I know what you mean about the fireing squad thing i dont think it is a great system i think its just more of a deterrent than anything else. People tend to not want to be riddled to ***t so in that sense it kind of works however im not much a fan myself. Its not fun it just kills the whole experience. But like i said ive never seen this actualy happen at a site its just mentioned before games as a deterrent.

However thing main thing i was trying to point out was that kicking people off the site for the day after they have been warned a couple of times works i think.

If the people persist to cheat they can be banned for longer so i think keeping a record of cheaters is a good idea but sharing that list with other sites is not. For me being banned from my site would mean adding a couple of hours onto the trip to go skirmish and that would be punishment enough.And if the sport is marshalled correctly if the person cheats at another site they shouldnt need a list to be able to spot it.

Everyone learns from their mistakes so yes there should be a ban but a ban that will stop that person playing the sport in this country for good is just spiteful and doesnt show well for the airsoft community. Its like a death penalty you make a mistake and its game over its wrong and doesnt represent the sport right.. Like doc said its easy to have a gun chrono hot with the variantions in tempeture etc and its easy to not feel a hit. So to see someone banned from the sport for that is wrong and im not going to suppourt a system that can see me or anyone else unrightfuly kicked from the sport.

A system where sites keep records of cheaters a system that improves marshalling and sets a common code of conduct and a common LIMITED ban for breaking the rules i can suppourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

there is an issue with firing squads which i feel is worth consideration. Firstly a ban makes us look more professional but here is the headline in the herald

17 year looses hearing with firing squad

sooner of later with the volume of rounds, someone is going to get hurt and when they do little johnny and his mammy will be on the radio explaining how he was picked on, is now deaf in an ear due to an errant bb and it should be banned. we will have the IAA trying to recover the situation and we will be in deep crap before we know where we are. Now of course the same thing can happen in game, but you take your chances and signed in but this firing squad can be presented far far differently. Add to that, the court appearances, including you for partaking, the site owners and we have a huge mess on our hands. far fetched i know...but we need to think how something can be presented, it wont matter if its real or imagined.

i say ban, its the only way to be sure....

edit: one other thing, the ban length is a classic thing to be discussed with members of the IAA. I dont think its fair to dump on the IAA leaders or sites (although they can obviously decide for themselves also). this is exactly the type of topic that we the players can agree on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭vkchris

Ok the fireing squad thing is getting way out of hand never has anyone been forced to be shot its for fun and i have never seen one even take place on a skirimish day.

Lads there are much bigger things to be worrying bout than trying to put bans on things which hardly ever happen. lets worry about more important issues first.No offense falls im not saying there good and id love to get rid of them aswell but thats not what this thread is about. Hopefully we will have the time to iron out all the kinks in the game later when we have a safe sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

sorry, i am talking about cheating, perhaps i didnt explain.

i think like any other sport when you are caught cheating, you get banned. if we adopt banning, it lines us up with other sports. thats what i meant by above. what i was trying (and obviously badly) to explain is how a firing squad can (and since it is used currently so therefore doesnt work anyways) cause us other issues. hopefully that clarifies.

vkchris wrote: »
    Ok the fireing squad thing is getting way out of hand never has anyone been forced to be shot its for fun and i have never seen one even take place on a skirimish day.

Lads there are much bigger things to be worrying bout than trying to put bans on things which hardly ever happen. lets worry about more important issues first.No offense falls im not saying there good and id love to get rid of them aswell but thats not what this thread is about. Hopefully we will have the time to iron out all the kinks in the game later when we have a safe sport.

firing squads is a topic for another day, you may say you can just not partake, but there is alot of peer pressure around them, I know I was not given a choice to sit it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

firing squads is a topic for another day, you may say you can just not partake, but there is alot of peer pressure around them, I know I was not given a choice to sit it out...

Which is bullying, another common problem & needs to be added to the list of priorities.

Which is bullying, another common problem & needs to be added to the list of priorities.

Bullying?!?! Now theres something I dont think ive witnessed before, big problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Bullying?!?! Now theres something I dont think ive witnessed before, big problem?

If a customer is forced to stand & be shot in a firing squad, that's bullying. I haven't witnessed it myself but I've recieved complaints from parents for something that happens at certain venues.

I presume the majority of the venues & clubs enforce their respect & dignity policy.

I don't consider firing squads to be sportsmanship like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

I've always had problems with firing squads. I have seen videos from Fingal etc of firing squads happening. What amazes me is there are people put in front of all to see, for cheating, shot at for 2 minutes, then it seems to be forgotten about? I remember seeing the first few videos, then seeing these people out playing....I'd rather see someone banned for 2 weeks then shot at.

I'm going to correct you Doc as we are mentioned, we have never done a firing squad for more than 2 seconds! 2 minutes would just be insane:eek: and it would be stupid, the firing squad is never compulsory!
    It has to be said that it has virtually cut out cheating on our site, so much so that it has been months since a firing squad has been used on our site.
    We have also banned players for 1 month at a time for constant cheating or aggressive behaviour, the players all ways come back a more honest and honourable player I find.
    Now we don't feel the need for firing squads and just ask a cheating player to leave the game on the first instance and on the second leave the site.

Bren

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

I'm going to correct you Doc as we are mentioned, we have never done a firing squad for more than 2 seconds! 2 minutes would just be insane:eek: and it would be stupid, the firing squad is never compulsory!
    It has to be said that it has virtually cut out cheating on our site, so much so that it has been months since a firing squad has been used on our site.
    We have also banned players for 1 month at a time for constant cheating or aggressive behaviour, the players all ways come back a more honest and honourable player I find.
    Now we don't feel the need for firing squads and just ask a cheating player to leave the game on the first instance and on the second leave the site.

Bren

on that note ok you say that your firing squad was not 2 mins long but 2 seconds? aint it a waste of time any way notto mention a waste of bb's too???
    for the record i was with Doc in the 2 minute firing Squad he mentioned earlier on and that was a waste , we lost a game and because certain players where bored they decided to put up a firng squad so they could get their airsoft penis on coz they were sick of waitin for the game to end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Firing squads are a childish and imature way of solving problems, that send all the wrong signals to people outside of the sports and i was very worryed to see time of activity documented as well in AIM magazine, but as others have said that is a topic for another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

moggser wrote: »
    on that note ok you say that your firing squad was not 2 mins long but 2 seconds? aint it a waste of time any way notto mention a waste of bb's too???
    for the record i was with Doc in the 2 minute firing Squad he mentioned earlier on and that was a waste , we lost a game and because certain players where bored they decided to put up a firng squad so they could get their airsoft penis on coz they were sick of waitin for the game to end

Again I say that 2 minutes is bloody stupid:eek: don't go back to that site until they have stopped that practice. And if you read my post above we are more or less stopping the practice as it has served it's purpose.

Again I say that 2 minutes is bloody stupid:eek: don't go back to that site until they have stopped that practice. And if you read my post above we are more or less stopping the practice as it has served it's purpose.

oh i belive ya when ya say it it wasn directed at you it was in conversation
    the whole idea of it is a no no and ive not been back to that site or nor will i because of that and other reasons ok so think we should all leave the firing squad thing behind for another radio show all together and get back on track before we get a firing squad of infractions:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

Puding wrote: »
    as others have said that is a topic for another time.

I disagree, people seem willing to state things in this thread that they wouldn't state otherwise. I assume its because there is a few of us on it and none of us have an issue with telling the truth.

We all have a chance here to air the dirty laundry so to speak!

If firing squads are something that you disagree with then just say that and force the issue. We never done them because we were told by our solicitors that it is technically assault!

Now we should leave it out with Fingal, Bren has said that they are not doing it anymore so that should be enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I too think firing squads are pointless, and in some cases its seen as a laugh for a player to do in front of his mates. i dont think its much of a deterant really.

I wouldnt go so far as to call it bullying but i can see how a person would be forced into doing it so as not to stand out as the wimp.

That said, this thread is really about the people who use hot guns and people who persistently cheat, No point in going down the road of "this site does this, that site does that" etc etc.

I would say that is well off the mark there Brian

Our monthly bills are over €17,000 a month so I wouldn't say its to far off the mark there Bren!

Masada wrote: »
    No point in going down the road of "this site does this, that site does that" etc etc.

Again I disagree, I think that is exactly why I started this thread.

To say, that team cheats, the site allows hot guns and that retailer allows hot guns. Mostly though to give other people a platform to voice their complaints.

We are not exempt either, we can stand by our record and have no problem facing criticism(that is to say that we didn't start this thread to "dog the other sites"), we are opening an outdoor site soon and will have to face these issues also!

• Advertisement

To say, that team cheats, the site allows hot guns and that retailer allows hot guns. Mostly though to give other people a platform to voice their complaints.

We are not exempt either, we can stand by our record and have no problem facing criticism(that is to say that we didn't start this thread to "dog the other sites"), we are opening an outdoor site soon and will have to face these issues also!

im not sure thats what he ment by that what i took out of that was he means there is no point in derailing the thread when it originally started as something totally different to what we're talking about now! trying to keep on topic is what he was getting at and no one gets any infractions

• Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The user Boroimhe started this thread. You do know you're only meant to have one account, right?

As I have said recently enough not to do that here.

If you have a complaint bring it directly to the site/team whoever. Don't moan and bitch about it on here but in reality do absolutely nothing. This is not a soapbox/blog/complaints handling site. It's a discussion forum. We're here to discuss how to resolve this. Not point fingers and accuse people.

Bren

I should apologise as i looked back over the videos and they were infact only a few seconds. I was probably caught up in my head of other incidents. I do apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

The whole point of the 'firing squad' was to administer a short sharp lesson to wrongdoers - (not taking hits, dead man talking etc). There was never a suggestion of bullying - You are caught in the wrong, you take your punishment like a man (or woman) (2 seconds max) in front of everyone. Lesson learned - you don't do it again.
    That's just my 2c, it worked for me.
    Really, this should be local site policy, Too many rules and no-no's will just push the sport underground, which benefits no-one.

tonky wrote: »
    The whole point of the 'firing squad' was to administer a short sharp lesson to wrongdoers - (not taking hits, dead man talking etc). There was never a suggestion of bullying - You are caught in the wrong, you take your punishment like a man (or woman) (2 seconds max) in front of everyone. Lesson learned - you don't do it again.
    Unfortunately, as in many other walks of life, the whiners and PC brigade bale in and stick in the boot.
    That's just my 2c, it worked for me.
    Really, this should be local site policy, Too many rules and no-no's will just push the sport underground, which benefits no-one.

ive never been infront of one, but its simple, you get some 14 year old kid getting riddled by 20 guys twice his age...demeaning, hurtfull, and just shows a dark, caveman style of justice...instead of a smart approach to cheating, firing squads are the short cut that cause as much damage to our sport as they fix...its a 50/50 issue

in fairness it does make people take their hits i understand this, but it also makes some people look at the sport the wrong way, especially parents...rememer, kids are the future of our sport, if we have them being dissalowed to play, who is gonna take over when were in rags lol:rolleyes:

So lads, what is the progress on this joint venture of sites to curb cheating...is it looking good or bad

Fair point. previous post edited.

previous post edited:D

I understand your point. There is some things or people that can be too anal and can ruin things in the long term. Like I said there is a video of me there face on to a firing squad getting drilled, for more then two seconds. Problem I've witnessed is, if it was not me, and a young teenager, he would not be asked " Would you like to opt out?" He would get " a stop being a big bitch and get in there come on you have too" the problem is peer pressure.

Especially younger or newer players, feeling they have to do this, when in reality no one has to do anything they feel uncomfortable with. It is just about using common sense.

Like vip/hostage scenarios. I never grab people and start patting them down, I just tap them on the shoulder and say " ok your searched, you cannot use any weapons" As some people do have a problem with being patted down and I totally respect that. There is laws there too. Its not being all anal and pc, it is just about respecting fellow players, and avoiding putting someone into an awkward situation.

Especially younger or newer players, feeling they have to do this, when in reality no one has to do anything they feel uncomfortable with. It is just about using common sense.

That's fair comment. I will try and put myself in the boots of a newcomer before posting, remember how f***ing awkward I was at 15 or 17.
    Getting old and watching too much Unit. :D Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

firing squads?

are ye trying to get the game a bad name

i'd ask that firing squad discussion be banned from here by concensus at leasrt if not by the mods, stupiddists thing i ever heard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement