Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I like about the recession

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

huh?

im spending 540 on my gaff with my fella and ur spending that much?

n u t t e r

well im outside dublin so i guess that counts
    Supply and demand I suppose. From what I hear the jobs market in Tipperary isn't exactly booming. Still €540 is reasonable assuming you don't mind your weekly commuting hours being in double figures.

A related feature of the boom that I won't miss - the boasts of those who bought vulgar one-off McMansions in poorly-serviced areas so they could get that all-important 6th bathroom. The appeal of a 4000sqft monstrosity is somewhat diminished if there are no jobs available within sane commuting distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

A good dose of well needed humble pie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Good eatin'... Mwaha... With a nice Schadenfreude filling. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Good eatin'... Mwaha... With a nice Schadenfreude filling. :cool:

Nope not my point.
    My point is the misguided hope that we can actually have a country back that cared about your neighbour and helped them out.

Not the massive dose of selfishness and greed that was the cause and ultimate downfall of the celtic kitten.

I know, and agree totally. I was being facetious... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

People start becoming frugal (another word for mean!) again! Bargains in the local supermarkets! Those people, who by and large, are not affected by the downturn, become even meaner!

A neighbour of mine, who recently inherited a large sum of money(6 figure sum) and has just turned 70, is gone ape! During a messy separation some years back, she didn't have a cent and always hoped that some day, she would be able to do all the things she couldn't do years ago! When I said she was going ape! she aint spending it! She has gotten MEANER. She now has no intention of changing her 00 micra and both her and her car are a danger on the road! She is running from Bank to Bank(well that's a laugh!) trying to get the best rate possible. Hey, I said, you are 70----get out there and go on a world cruise!!! You see, the lack of money and having money, sometimes has the same effect on the graw mo cree, cute, Irish sikay! Ha! I say, this country is awash with money!!!! Ha! definintely, things I like about the recession!!!:P

Not as many Mondeo-drivin', blue shirt, bluetooth, red tie-wearin', slick-haired, rictus-smilin' wannabe bad-bastards knockin' around.
    Whatever happened to the Mondeo-drivin', blue shirt, bluetooth, red tie-wearin', slick-haired, rictus-smilin' wannabe bad-bastard?
    Maybe Alan Sugar has 'em all for our television entertainment. :cool: SNARK -OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Nolanger wrote: »
    The biggest, thickest c*nt in your class at school who earned loads working on building sites is now on the dole and will probably never work again.

+1

Know one lad from my construction class in secondary that could hardly join his hands never mind trying to make a decent tenon. Met him a few years ago in the pub he proudly announced he was a carpenter.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 althompsone

(Things I like about the recession):

The depletion of credibility of people who might say things like "renting is dead money", while failing to realise that in many circumstances the postponement of buying a house would leave young parents with less debt worries and allow them to spend more time with their kid(s) in their earliest years.

And no, Luisella, I'm not a Communist.

I'm not a parent yet either, and remain open to correction/qualification, though I'm very confident of, and indeed quite passionate about, the credibility of my above point.

And yes, of course renting is, in its own right, dead money, and a less sensible option for certain people in certain circumstances.

Sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

bobbbb wrote: »
    Now that was a real recession. Ask your parents. This one is nothing.

Try telling the bailiff that.

Good time to be him, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

3 for 2 in Dubray books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Totally loving seeing all the t*ats with their four cars, especially tradesmen who overcharged everyone, now eating humble pie.

They had it coming.

Stuff...

Advertisement