Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I like about the recession

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's probably been posted already but less SUV's on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

mikemac wrote: »
    It's probably been posted already but less SUV's on the road

Tree hugger :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

khmk wrote: »
    Paramount Channel daytime tv.

its ace.

not like the old days of neighbours, quincy and ready steady cook :mad:
    I love Ready Steady Cook - Green Peppers or Rrrrreddd Tomoatoooeeeesssss said Ainsley. Who's definitely gay. He's like a black, posh Alan Carr.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

bobbbb wrote: »
    And you're just loving it.

absolutely i'm loving it :D I wouldn't deny that for a second ;)
    Though it has to be said - i havent seen any of these social climbers lose their pants myself.

i've seen plenty, people i don't know, and people i know/knew, and i still have no sympathy.
    If they still had their wealth, their SUV's, their little box on the hillside they call a house, and their decking in the back garden, do you think they'd treat ordinary people with any less a degree of new founded snobbery than they did in the good times ?? "No" me thinks, so I don't care an iota for their plight, they brought it on themselves, so as i've already said Fuck Them :cool:
    Im beginning to wonder is this recession a figment of people imagination. I remember meeting my mates in the dole office during the late 80's and early 90's. Virtually nobody had a job. That was a recession

It's only been a few months. By this time next year it'll be 80's tastic all over again. My only memory of working in the late 80's early 90's was paying 48% tax on my wages, and I was in just your average job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

one of these days they wont be able to pay the dole because so many be on it,half people drawing it are staying here because we have the most generous system in europe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Less cars on the roads in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

Fred83 wrote: »
    one of these days they wont be able to pay the dole because so many be on it,half people drawing it are staying here because we have the most generous system in europe

Yes. Half the people on the dole are foreigners who would go home otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭MikeStrutington

Gays have less money to support their evil lifestyles

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

#2,786

the sandwich maker in the local shop actually speaks english and you get the sandwich you actually ordered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Well, now that the recession has hit, RTE have even less money to spend on Fair City.
    This will result in poorer directing, acting, scripts and sets.
    Which will push Fair City past the point of being terrible and into a
    zone of ridiculousness that should be entertaining for all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

A) I can drive to the garage to buy fags in ten minutes as opposed to forty.

2) I am woken from my slumber by birdsong instead of traffic.

D) Less queues for stuff.

89) Less people rushing about like headless chickens/twats, checking their watch whilst babbling **** into their phones.

q) More time. And that's probably the best one of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

n0fX wrote: »
    Yes. Half the people on the dole are foreigners who would go home otherwise.

20% of people on the live register are non-nationals.
    Its all on the cso website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Jay Leno jokes "The recession is so bad that..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I love Ready Steady Cook - Green Peppers or Rrrrreddd Tomoatoooeeeesssss said Ainsley. Who's definitely gay. He's like a black, posh Alan Carr.

Ainsley 'ready steady cock' Harriot............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The people from the 80s recession cant go on to us about "the recession" and the "hard times" any more, phew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

The idea that the rich got alot more screwed over than the poor in all this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

wylo wrote: »
    The idea that the rich got alot more screwed over than the poor in all this

Yeah coz the Golden Circle are living in dire poverty right now... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Recession = more free time = more exercise = new leaner Tawfee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

More people out midweek for the cheep drink offers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The northside will never stop being the northside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Gays have less money to support their evil lifestyles

PMSL

They will probably stfu about getting married too because they can't afford it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

anybody that has a job, is sorted.

petrol is down (though the c*unts in the government are doing their best to keep it up to shortfall their f8ck ups)

house prices are down, bringing rent down. (government have this as a disaster which i dont know why, they were overpriced in the first place and meant that our economy was based on false pretences)

people may actually appreciate what ireland is all about. hard working honest people who are proud to be irish. not some lazy, snobbish bunch of greedy slobs that we have becoming.

prices for everything in general will come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Bouncers let in all the little kids into clubs :)

Giggidy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Actually Im kind of hoping (probably in vain) that the recession will bring back a bit of friendliness towards each other rather the competitivness thats been here for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

HMV's 3 DVDs for €30 is now 4 for €22 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Is it not a bit hypocritical that the likes of (SOME) of the Irish people who went marching in protest are the root cause of the current economic crisis?

The people who took out massive mortgages to build huge houses, buy their brand new
    jeeps and spend like there was no tomorrow over the last five years or so or I am just generalising a bit too much?

It's all very well blaming the government for mismanagement and I am certainly not shy to express my opinions on those currently in power but don't we have ourselves to blame for this to a certain extent?

And I'm asking more than telling here.

I echo the sentiments of the posters above, I also hope this cops irish people on
    and the nasty self righteousness and selfishness which has become apparent when things were good might hopefully start to disappear and we might remember who we are and where we all came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

last wastage, probably better for the environment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

oddone wrote: »
    The people who took out massive mortgages to build huge houses, buy their brand new
    jeeps and spend like there was no tomorrow over the last five years or so or I am just generalising a bit too much?
    You're generalising a lot.

It really p*sses me off when I hear people banging on about the SUVs, the plasma screens etc etc etc, especially when they are union leaders earning six-figure salaries.

The vast majority of us in the private sector had it little better in the previous ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

wylo wrote: »
    The people from the 80s recession cant go on to us about "the recession" and the "hard times" any more, phew

Now that was a real recession. Ask your parents. This one is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Cars are cheaper :)

Advertisement