Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I like about the recession

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

You're generalising a lot.

It really p*sses me off when I hear people banging on about the SUVs, the plasma screens etc etc etc, especially when they are union leaders earning six-figure salaries.

The vast majority of us in the private sector had it little better in the previous ten years.

I am a private sector worker and I earned then and still earn an average wage, I don't feel I lived beyond my means or had any much better of a lifestyle as a result of the so-called c.tiger economy. I found it hard to understand how people seemingly had so much disposable income, it couldnt all have been down to their ssia's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

oddone wrote: »
    I am a private sector worker and I earned then and still earn an average wage, I don't feel I lived beyond my means or had any much better of a lifestyle as a result of the so-called c.tiger economy. I found it hard to understand how people seemingly had so much disposable income, it couldnt all have been down to their ssia's.

Because most pivate sector employees earn a lot more than people seem to think. I dont see less SUVs or Plasma tellys and so on around the place. There are still the same amount around as there always were. People might not be buying them now, but its because they are saving instead of buying. Not because they dont have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

As people seek more economical forms of entertainment, farting in public has suddenly become De Rigeur.

~And as for those misguided souls who believe I am wrong, smell and learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

I'm lovin' lots of things about the recession;

Great deals to be had on cars

M&S Dine for two for a bargainous E12.50 - I only wish it was on every week

Cheaper holidays all round! Yay!

Lots of "BOGOF" coupons and vouchers floating around for various restaurants, yum!

Supermarkets are actually for once, attempting to offer good deals and offers to consumers. Recession Buster Deals FTW! :D

Overall my moolah is going a lot further than it was this time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The biggest, thickest c*nt in your class at school who earned loads working on building sites is now on the dole and will probably never work again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

cheaper food
    and knowing that for once, everyone else is as broke as I am!
    the film industry for some reason is getting a boost
    dont feel as guilty when I put 5euro of deisel in my car.
    don't have to pay rent to the rents, cause I'm unemployed
    woo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the "poor" civil servants should just shut up complaining and take the cut,im sorry but in these times,people are lucky to have a job,the civ servants get great pensions and such,i wonder would they be so quick to swap their jobs and join the dole queue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Nolanger wrote: »
    The biggest, thickest c*nt in your class at school who earned loads working on building sites is now on the dole and will probably never work again.

:pac:

I lol'd only cos someone sprang to mind straight away. And yes he was a big, thick c*nt.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    :pac:

I lol'd only cos someone sprang to mind straight away. And yes he was a big, thick c*nt.

funny since ye mentioned that,alot of them are useing the education allowance to go to college :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

The only people benefitting from recession are them folks who made their 'fortunes' in the good times.
    The ordinary joe soaps have to pay up with -
    increased tax
    decreased pay packages

but on the other hand things are getting cheaper
    by that I meant value for money
    rather than feeling you have been raped because you got chicken fillet roll from Spar
    also introduction of bord gais going into electricity - sparks will be flying (sorry...)

• Advertisement

you see some of the snobby people during the boom now are back on their feet and shopping in the major discount stores again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Nolanger wrote: »

Hey, I wasn't the biggest...

Cheaper deals on things such as hotels, lunch etc.

Hopefully it'll spell the end of the Paris Hilton wannabee type saps who talked with American accents and strutted round with their €300 handbags.

yeah haha that just reminded me of that neil,the craze that some of irish women had of fake tans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Snickering at the bewilderment and mounting fear of anybody not old enough to remember the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

I like that i can elongate the word reccession á la doug from King of Queens.

Reccessiooooonn!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

oddone wrote: »
    I found it hard to understand how people seemingly had so much disposable income, it couldnt all have been down to their ssia's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_(finance)

im sure kids/teenagers werent spolit brats back in the 80s like they where during the boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Still being a scoorge and not getting the piss taken outta me for it..

no more people buying wine in the shop,no more bbqs in the garden,no more small men who came big over nite telling the neighbours about the property he brought abroad,no more housewifes who go and get a take away because she coundnt be bother to cook and ruin the fitted kitchen,no more buying a large toy or getting that toy that the little bollox kid wants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Now when the kids get a tennis ball for Christmas I can say..

"Sure back in my day we used to get loads of stuff for Christmas.
    Quads, Computers, phones, you name it"...

im sure theres few more thinner kids around now,god i remember going into a takeaway during boom and the whole familys sitting there then going to their suv when finished

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Less tolerance for scummers on the bus/train. Now more people are feeling it there is much less sympathy for the anti social crap that goes on at the back of the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Now when the kids get a tennis ball for Christmas I can say..

"Sure back in my day we used to get loads of stuff for Christmas.
    Quads, Computers, phones, you name it"...

True. Kids these days, don't know how hard they have it :rolleyes:

Bleedin ungrateful little sh!tes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Proper pi$$ing and moaning. Not like that Celtic-Tiger 'ooooh my half-caf cappucino is waaay too frothhy' kinda pi$$ing and moaning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

Talking about huge numbers with only football transfer terms for reference. "80 million in debt? That's 4 Robbie Keanes dude, this is bad."

Communist revival leading to snazzy fur coats and Russian hats coming back into fashion.

Bragging that once you found out, in December, about sub-prime mortgages and the level of fake money banks make you could totally have seen this coming if you'd known what was going down earlier.

Canada is about to become a stronger economy than the US. Snarr har.

You secretly reckon that you've seen enough disaster movies to do pretty well in a post-civilisation wasteland.

The barter system always looked more fun anyway.

Lots of empty shopfronts if you're a squatter.

Loss of pension encourages 10 years of reckless, drugs and hooker filled living in your last working years, as you're ****ed after that anyway.

Lots of kids getting better vocabulary with "recession" "depression" "levy" and "Ponzi scheme" flying around all over the place.

Finding out that since their irritating smugness isn't backed up by competence, we can at last fully treat bankers like ****.

one thing thats defo changeing thanks to this recession is the irish are dying to do the jobs that they normally turned their nose up to,this was taken from the irish independent-

Independent.ie
    Professionals join scramble for McDonald's jobs

By Gordon Deegan
    Tuesday March 03 2009

UNEMPLOYED bankers, accountants and architects have applied for jobs in a new branch of McDonald's.

The professionals sought the 'McJobs' in Ennis, Co Clare where unemployment has soared by 73pc over the past year.

Kieran McDermott, the franchisee at the new fast-food restaurant, said yesterday: "It's no joke."

"We've had applications from bankers, accountants and architects to work at the Ennis outlet. I had to do a double-take on the CVs."

Mr McDermott had to remove a 'Now Hiring' banner on the site of the new restaurant after 10 days.

"In 10 days, we had 500 job applications. The jobs were advertised nowhere else except for the banner we put up," he said.

McDonald's is one of the few companies expanding, and it has plans to open 240 new outlets in Europe creating 12,000 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Finding out that since their irritating smugness isn't backed up by competence, we can at last fully treat bankers like ****.

When you say that, do you mean the people who are high-up in banks, like CEO's etc working in head offices, or the people you deal with in banks?

To stick with the thread, well, another excuse not to go out and get very very drunk. I like keeping my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

bobbbb wrote: »
    Now that was a real recession. Ask your parents. This one is nothing.

is this one actually proven to be worse than the 80s one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

the smug sense of satisfaction that I was right.

Advertisement