Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I like about the recession

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Like? Nothing really.

A degree of realism however will be restored to the world's financial markets, no more high risk pie in the sky finances.

And Irish people are being forced to realise that we're part of a very big and scary real world and we're not very influential. Don't like that, but it's forcing us all to be more sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I hope I can get a mortgage when this is over...

Rent for our apartment is 1200 a month, yet the bank seem to think that we cannot afford 672 a month for a fully furnished house...

How do they work these things out? I was thinking of doing a QFA in mortgages to:

1) Add to my education making it easier to find a job
    2) Understand why they make the decisions they do...

I like how housing is a lot cheaper than it was 18 months ago. It would be nice to see it like this for a while. Not just for the next year or two...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Rent for our apartment is 1200 a month, yet the bank seem to think that we cannot afford 672 a month for a fully furnished house...

huh?

im spending 540 on my gaff with my fella and ur spending that much?

n u t t e r

well im outside dublin so i guess that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mothers will finally stop trying to push their kids into safe pensionable public service jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jamfan

A friend of mine was looking into buying a house about a year and a half ago. He showed up at the appointed time for the viewing and as it happened there were ten - yes, ten - other people/couples there at the same time. The 24year-old 'estate agent' showed up 20 minutes late and noncholantly parked his 3-Series Coupe and indulgantly let the viewers in to roam through the premises, unaided, I should add. He then arrogantly let the viewers bid against each other.

Although I wish unemployment on nobody, I think it is an absolute necessity that people like these carpetbaggers are sacked post haste.

I would imagine that this has already happened to our dapper BMW man, given that houses now only have notional values and you can't give them away. The 320i is probably sitting in the driveway, with an empty tank and bald tyres.

This is truly a pyrrhic victory (given that property prices have collapsed), but it's nice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Houses might soon be halfway affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

What I'd like to happen is that second hand shops become popular in Ireland. In NZ, people buy and sell on a lot of things. They have their own ebay type site and it's always so busy. Most people wouldn't buy new things - not just because they're more expensive or as a reaction to the recession but because it's just the way they do things - NZ being so far from everywhere else meant newer goods were harder to get. Things are just re-used or passed on. All our furniture is second hand and every week or so I pick up a bargain and get something nice for the flat. That goes for clothes too. Lots of people buy second hand clothes (they call them op shops here - it comes from opportunity shops because you'd never know what you would find). The quality of things you get in the shops is great and I've bought some really nice things, in good condition from expensive shops at a tiny costs. I've got quite in to looking for bargains and I've got some lovely things - some of them never worn with tags still on them (I bought a small bag from an op shop yesterday for £3 - about €1. It was from the UK high street shop Wallis and had never been used - still had tags.). There's shops called "recycle boutiques" where you can sell on clothes you don't use any more. When I think of all the clothes I've hardly worn still sitting in my wardrobe in my parents house in Dublin I think how of how much useless stuff in Ireland I have to sell on.

I would never have dreamed of buying second hand clothes in Ireland - which is a pity. I'm sure some readers here might think they'd never do that either but it's great. I can buy good quality second hand things and then buy more expensive long lasting clothes to go with them - instead of buying a lot of disposable items like I did at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Im enjoying the way that the younger people who have never experienced a recession all think it will last forever. They are too consumed with who to blame and the delight in others misfortune, that they are not preparing for the end of the recession when they can take advantage of the situation. All this has happened before and it will happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

bobbbb wrote: »
    Im enjoying the way that the younger people who have never experienced a recession all think it will last forever. They are too consumed with who to blame and the delight in others misfortune, that they are not preparing for the end of the recession when they can take advantage of the situation. All this has happened before and it will happen again.

yes,god i never seen or heard such bollox talk during the boom with people my own age,came from working class family meself so never had daddy to pay me for stuff or mammy buying me that,so personally it doesnt effect me

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

The ability to say 'I told you so, over two years ago!'

The prospect of buying a house in a decent Southside Dublin location for a reasonable price!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Back on Topic, I like the VALUE that is around - in the shops, online, in everyday life tbh - there is competition coming back which is good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

the only good thing i see is people arent as smug as they where. There was too much "competing with the next door neighbours" but its still sh1t if you lose your job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Im enjoying the way that the younger people who have never experienced a recession all think it will last forever.

It will last forever - the Celtic Tiger is not coming back. We might have a slight upturn in a few years time but nothing like the the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I like that the couriers all speak english now, and you sometimes see the same ones coming in with deliveries

Nolanger wrote: »
    It will last forever - the Celtic Tiger is not coming back. We might have a slight upturn in a few years time but nothing like the the last decade.

Thats just a stupid statement tbh.

Oh great crystal ball gazer how do you know this? Is Ireland is different? Will it not have boom bust cycles like every other country does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Thats just a stupid statement tbh.

Oh great crystal ball gazer how do you know this? Is Ireland is different? Will it not have boom bust cycles like every other country does?

Well, its not stupid really.
    I too agree that we'll never see the high standards and stupidity levels of spending in the boom just gone.
    Reason is the big banks will be all state owned (soon)and lending will never be as "easy to get" as in the past....Never.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

And two years ago you would have been one of the many idiots in denial about the recession.
    I know these things because the country is f**ked and it will take at least a decade to recover.
    There is no boom-bust cycle - this is the worst recession ever - will last years - the next Celtic Tiger is decades away.

And two years ago you would have been one of the many idiots in denial about the recession.
    I know these things because the country is f**ked and it will take at least a decade to recover.
    There is no boom-bust cycle - this is the worst recession ever - will last years - the next Celtic Tiger is decades away.

Im well aware of boom bust cycles.
    You are as bad as the people who said the boom would go on forever. My guess is that you are under 30 and a bit on the ignorant side. Read something about economics will ya and get real.

Here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recessions_in_the_United_States

Now go find some books to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

My guess is that you are under 30 and a bit on the ignorant side. Read something about economics will ya and get real.

Quit bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

• More day time TV with Seoige Sisters...
    • Quality time with loved under duvet.
    • Visiting Library (god I missed it sooooooooooo much)
    • and looking for UFO's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Winning free things is so much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I am placing better value on the money in my pocket and being less frivolous. Have curtailed spending and focus is on getting out of debt and saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Luisella

A new May '68 is coming.

Senna wrote: »
    Watching all these people that bought 3/5/10+ house in 2004-2006, paying whatever amount the sellers wanted, thinking they could sell them in a few years and make millions. They pushed FTB's further out of cities or into shoeboxes. That was greed and stupidity and i have no problem laughing at their misfortune.

That cracked me out :D These damn renters are nothing else than parasites, if they want property they should pay for it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

• we are started getting value for money
    • customer service is improving (I mean only when you can find a shop assistant.There are so less of them now :rolleyes:)
    • less traffic
    • more family nights in
    <SNIP>

A)

2) I am woken from my slumber by birdsong instead of traffic.

q) More time. And that's probably the best one of all.

Wonderful.. why don't we... abolish capitalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Everyone is competing to save money rather than spend it. It's a reality check for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

No more houses like this one...
    Ger Killally sobbed in court yesterday as he told the judge that he needs €4,000 a week to meet his household expenses, which include €1,500 a month for electricity costs and €42,000 a year for health and life insurance policies for him and his wife Naomi. The outgoings for his nine-bedroom Edenderry home, pitcured, amounted to some €384,000 for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Luisella wrote: »
    Wonderful.. why don't we... abolish capitalism?
    April 1... Ya comin' along? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i like laughing at the people who laughed at me during the celtic tiger... when i worked my arse off and im still working to this day, trying living it up now on 200 quid a week you Muppets !!! ( sorry, mini rant ) !!

im eating steaks while them fools eat cheap noodles... :rolleyes:

Enjoy the dole queue !!

Advertisement