Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭gatorade

Thanks everyone for the advice, in the end i decided to buy a ladies road bike which fits me perfectly as opposed to a cheaper male frame which was just too stretched etc

Hopefully will start training on the bike this week.

I have another question!

I read somewhere that having a belt for your number is better than having it pinned to you why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

gatorade wrote: »
    I have another question!

I read somewhere that having a belt for your number is better than having it pinned to you why is that?

I think you are meant to wear your number on their back for the bike section and your front for the run section - not all races issue two numbers so during transition from bike to run with a belt you can easily rotate the number from your back to your front. I also don't like using safety pins on expensive technical tops or even more expensive tri suits/tops.

From a Tri perspective the race belt along with lock laces will be your cheapest purchase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

I think you are meant to wear your number on their back for the bike section and your front for the run section - not all races issue two numbers so during transition from bike to run with a belt you can easily rotate the number from your back to your front. I also don't like using safety pins on expensive technical tops or even more expensive tri suits/tops.

From a Tri perspective the race belt along with lock laces will be your cheapest purchase :)

I second that- the best €10 you'll ever spend on gear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Welcome ladytri :)

papamike and MS K Sir A, best of luck this weekend!! Let us know how you both get on :D

Anyone else doing a Tri this weekend?

My first one is 8 days away (assuming I can get a baby sitter), can't wait!

Bambaata, messed_up, HardyEustace, liamo, Mr Creosote et al thank you for coming on board and helping to guide us newbies here, much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Can anyone recommend a good triathlon around July/August that isn't sold out?

I've checked the various race calenders but just want to make sure I'm not missing out a tri that hasn't been announced or scheduled yet.

cheers guys

• Advertisement

nerraw1111
    Hi Nerraw1111
    If you want to wait until Sept 6th, we'll be running our 3rd triathlon in Lough Key Forest Park, Co. Roscommon. We're not opening for registration until June as races seem to be filling up way to quickly these days and there'll be no places left in any of the races for the newbies who want to start training over the summer.
    www.loughkeytri.com for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Thanks Ladytri, that sounds interesting and time is suitable, what's the distance?

I'm finding races filling up so quickly a bit of a problem. I only find out about a race before it's sold out :eek:

Any other races in late July early August? Give myself a few months to train for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Thanks Ladytri, that sounds interesting and time is suitable, what's the distance?

I'm finding races filling up so quickly a bit of a problem. I only find out about a race before it's sold out :eek:

Any other races in late July early August? Give myself a few months to train for one.

If you feel that you're able for it, the Carna triathlon is a really beautiful race. The run is quite tough though and the cycle is rolling. There's a massive hill out of transition which is a bit scarey looking. However a lot of people really enjoy the challenge of the race. There were a few threads on it a few weeks ago.

*edited to say
    Carna is actually the Galway Tri Club race, it's held out in Connemara hence the referral to the "Carna" race.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I've checked the various race calenders but just want to make sure I'm not missing out a tri that hasn't been announced or scheduled yet.

cheers guys

Carrick-on-suir tri on July 11th. Registration has not opened yet, nice 750mtr downstream swim, 20K bike course is flattish and the 5k run has a bit of uphill start but the second half is along banks of the suir.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MCOS wrote: »

papamike and MS K Sir A, best of luck this weekend!! Let us know how you both get on :D

Bambaata, messed_up, HardyEustace, liamo, Mr Creosote et al thank you for coming on board and helping to guide us newbies here, much appreciated!

What race MCOS?

• Advertisement

Lough Key is sprint distance with a lake swim. Cycle is 23km over an undulating course, the 5km run is through the forest trails- really beautiful, but then again, I'm biased:)

tunney wrote: »
    What race MCOS?

Nenagh (North Tipp Sprint)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Doing the Portlaois Try-athlon on saturday. It's my first tri swim in a pool as opposed to open water so interested to compare the times and also to see how crowded the lanes get (6 people in my lane). I'm expecting to be slower in the pool than in open water. Bit nervous about the cycle though, there are 12 roundabouts to be negotiated on open roads.

It's great to be back in the tri season again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

cheers guys

The little Bo Peep one in Kenmare at the start of August has space and is open. Don't know much else about it- will be the first year for me doing it.

Good luck to everybody doing a tri this weekend too...

About to get a helmet.

Be honest....do time trial helmets look ridiculous at super sprint triathlons?

25stmcx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Only slightly less ridiculous than on the commute to work.
    But the 5 seconds you save and get to spend in bed are so sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

gatorade wrote: »
    About to get a helmet.

Be honest....do time trial helmets look ridiculous at super sprint triathlons?
    Only if you don't win.

jlang wrote: »
    Only if you don't win.

Too true :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

For some reason, I have in my head that these people quite enjoy lounging around the sitting room in full lycra and pointed helmet.

At least it gives me somthing to smile about as they cross the finishing line while I rack up my bike for a run :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Must admit I do like the look of the go faster stripes on that giro helmet but I'd rather wear baggy lycra than one of those - and I hate baggy lycra :p

• Advertisement

I was watching the PESS triathlon with MarieC last week and one guy did the bike leg in a munster shirt, black motorbike helmet and a mountain bike with a lock hanging off the saddle (it was rag week)... way more entertaining than the guys with chicken legs and pointy helmets :D

On his first triathlon a guy I know did his swim in the race t-shirt and speedos and cycle on a bike with a bell and a basket on the front ... its a good few years ago now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Ms K Sir A

Thanks MCOS for the best wishes. I'm told it's to reach freezing tonight.... Now I'm all a flap... should I leave out a long sleeved knitted ganzie for the cycle with no.s attached or my short sleeve 'sexy' cycle top & run the risk icycle nose syndrome might somewhat reduce the sexiness valuation....
    Please let me finish running.... (even if I have to walk most of it.... don't let me walk back the last bit when they're all watching!!! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

Cheers MCOS for the good wishes. Not long now untill you are in action.

Ms K Sir A wrote: »
    Thanks MCOS for the best wishes. I'm told it's to reach freezing tonight.... Now I'm all a flap... should I leave out a long sleeved knitted ganzie for the cycle with no.s attached or my short sleeve 'sexy' cycle top & run the risk icycle nose syndrome might somewhat reduce the sexiness valuation....
    Please let me finish running.... (even if I have to walk most of it.... don't let me walk back the last bit when they're all watching!!! ;) )

Ms K Sir A, I was also looking at the weather and am contemplating a long sleeved running top for the bike and run. Being wet coming out of the pool and the cold morning decided it for me. Although I hear the first bit of the bike is uphill so may warm up quicker than expected;) Oh the dilemma's!!

Best of luck tomorrow.

Way hey... First Triathlon done with finesse!! Ok I finished the dam thing without having to resort to walking the run section, alright??? I am absolutely thrilled with myself, and thank you to Trilogy & all concerned who put on a great show. I had been content enough that I could do the swim & the Cycle, but was genuinely concerned that I wouldn't be able to do the run. In the end it turned out that the run was my best event. Who would've thought?

As an absolute beginner/couch potato/non-sporty type of 'ould one', who started training only a couple of months ago, and never ran before... All I can say is if you're gearing up for your first one, trust me, you can do it. But definately... make use of a local club. It's easy to postpone your planned 7pm solo run/cycle/swim til 8, then 9 then tomorrow evening til never. If your club have a set run and you get to experience the help & encouragement they give you, then you are FAR MORE LIKELY to get off your ass and join them. Even on the evenings you just don't feel a bit like it. Best of luck to all who are aiming for their first. I'm living proof you can do it!!! Go for it!!!! :)

papamike wrote: »
    Cheers MCOS for the good wishes. Not long now untill you are in action.

Ms K Sir A, I was also looking at the weather and am contemplating a long sleeved running top for the bike and run. Being wet coming out of the pool and the cold morning decided it for me. Although I hear the first bit of the bike is uphill so may warm up quicker than expected;) Oh the dilemma's!!

Best of luck tomorrow.

We did great didn't we? Each and every one out there.... we all did great!!! And that sunshine! :) There was more than ONE uphill in that cycle. I had done the route a couple of times and was prepared for it, but it's no wishy washy handy cycle doddle for a first time event is it?

MCOS wrote: »

quote]

Best of luck next weekend MCOS. I'll happily volunteer babysitter duties if your stuck. (We are talking a puppy here yeah? :))

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Way hey... First Triathlon done with finesse!! Ok I finished the dam thing without having to resort to walking the run section, alright??? I am absolutely thrilled with myself, and thank you to Trilogy & all concerned who put on a great show. I had been content enough that I could do the swim & the Cycle, but was genuinely concerned that I wouldn't be able to do the run. In the end it turned out that the run was my best event. Who would've thought?

As an absolute beginner/couch potato/non-sporty type of 'ould one', who started training only a couple of months ago, and never ran before... All I can say is if you're gearing up for your first one, trust me, you can do it. But definately... make use of a local club. It's easy to postpone your planned 7pm solo run/cycle/swim til 8, then 9 then tomorrow evening til never. If your club have a set run and you get to experience the help & encouragement they give you, then you are FAR MORE LIKELY to get off your ass and join them. Even on the evenings you just don't feel a bit like it. Best of luck to all who are aiming for their first. I'm living proof you can do it!!! Go for it!!!! :)

Congratulations MS K - well done. 5 weeks til my first - really should be down the pool rather than trawling through boards!!

Hey, the boards provide motivation in their own right. :) It keeps the training to the fore of your mind at least. Best of luck with it. :)

• Advertisement

[

Best of luck next weekend MCOS. I'll happily volunteer babysitter duties if your stuck. (We are talking a puppy here yeah? :))

Well done completing your Tri running :) Good on you!

(nope, 4 year old good as gold!)

Advertisement